Brewer Fanatic

Nick Castellanos

Take it for what it's worth, but this "rumor" account has the Brewers as one of the teams in on Castellanos. I would think they are looking at him for the 3B vacancy ... or could be using the perceived interest as a ploy to move a trade along

Please please PLEASE make this happen DS...if he becomes a Brewer I'd be totally ecstatic.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Take it for what it's worth, but this "rumor" account has the Brewers as one of the teams in on Castellanos. I would think they are looking at him for the 3B vacancy ... or could be using the perceived interest as a ploy to move a trade along

There’s absolutely no way he can play 3B. The numbers on him or so bad there, the Tigers have been toiling away for a few years now and could’ve lived with him trying to figure it out there and they pulled the plug. I really don’t see him as a fit for our roster at this point now that Garcia was added and they seem to have 1B figured out. The only way I would really see adding him would be somehow moving Cain and then signing NC and putting Yelich in CF. Which that seems like an incredibly unlikely plan or realistic set of moves.

There’s absolutely no way he can play 3B. The numbers on him or so bad there, the Tigers have been toiling away for a few years now and could’ve lived with him trying to figure it out there and they pulled the plug. I really don’t see him as a fit for our roster at this point now that Garcia was added and they seem to have 1B figured out. The only way I would really see adding him would be somehow moving Cain and then signing NC and putting Yelich in CF. Which that seems like an incredibly unlikely plan or realistic set of moves.

If they were to sign Castellanos, I get the feeling they know what they could do with him on defense. Also, his career numbers are skewed by one outlandishly bad defensive season. That bat would look pretty superb in the lineup, that's for sure. He's never going to be a good defender anywhere, but I think with shifts and late game substitutions, they could make it work with him as the primary 3B.

If they have an inkling that the DH might happen in the NL in 2021, could always rotate him between 3rd and OF for a year, then DH starting in 2021, gamble, but might be worth it to get his bat in the lineup

That's the same as saying they could rotate Braun between OF and 3B. Just not going to happen because Castellanos is that bad at 3B. IMO once Stearns signed Garcia and Smoak it took Castellanos completely out of the picture.

You guys worry way too much about defense. Who really cares?? With a bat like that, you live with it. With all the shifting that goes on now days, there are ways of "hiding" it anyway. I mean, I'm pretty sure that a majority of you that are lambasting Castellanos about his bad defense were also saying it would never work moving Moose to 2nd. How did that work out?? Bat plays..period.

If they were to sign Castellanos, I get the feeling they know what they could do with him on defense. Also, his career numbers are skewed by one outlandishly bad defensive season. That bat would look pretty superb in the lineup, that's for sure. He's never going to be a good defender anywhere, but I think with shifts and late game substitutions, they could make it work with him as the primary 3B.

He played 3B from 2014-17, his DRS by year was -30 (lol), -9, -11, -14. His UZR’s were negative every year as well. That was when he was presumably more athletic and capable too, I just don’t see it even with the “well they will just shift” strategy. He was the worst defensive 3B in MLB by DRS from 14-17’. His best year, -9, would’ve ranked him as worst in MLB last year too. I just don’t see it, I like Asdrubal, Matt Duffy, or Brock Holt as 3B options to be involved in some sort of platoon/time share there for us.

You guys worry way too much about defense. Who really cares?? With a bat like that, you live with it. With all the shifting that goes on now days, there are ways of "hiding" it anyway. I mean, I'm pretty sure that a majority of you that are lambasting Castellanos about his bad defense were also saying it would never work moving Moose to 2nd. How did that work out?? Bat plays..period.

Moustakas actually had a history of being an adequate fielder at another infield position though with the move to 2B. Castellanos was the worst in the league when he played. I think we’re also being jaded a bit by his hot 2 months with the Cubs. His bat isn’t that good, he’s a career 112 wRC+ hitter. I don’t think it’s worth potentially blowing up the defense for a bat that’s only that good.

You are wrong. Defense does matter. By signing Castellanos, they'd definitely be taking a hit on defense. Doing it would have to be with the hope that his bat would be that much of an upgrade to make up for it. The alternative would be signing someone like Todd Frazier, would would theoretically offer a much lighter bat but substantially better defense.

He played 3B from 2014-17, his DRS by year was -30 (lol), -9, -11, -14. His UZR’s were negative every year as well. That was when he was presumably more athletic and capable too, I just don’t see it even with the “well they will just shift” strategy. He was the worst defensive 3B in MLB by DRS from 14-17’. His best year, -9, would’ve ranked him as worst in MLB last year too. I just don’t see it, I like Asdrubal, Matt Duffy, or Brock Holt as 3B options to be involved in some sort of platoon/time share there for us.

Calling Castellanos a train wreck defensively, but then calling for signing Cabrera is a pot calling the kettle black. Cabrera is an absolute terrible defender wherever you put him as well, and his athleticism is bad.

Calling Castellanos a train wreck defensively, but then calling for signing Cabrera is a pot calling the kettle black. Cabrera is an absolute terrible defender wherever you put him as well, and his athleticism is bad.

Cabrera isn’t good there but he doesn’t kill you like Castellanos would. Cabrera’s worst year by DRS at 3B (-4) would be Castellanos best. Cabrera is a career .268/.331/.425 105 wRC+ hitter, Castellanos is .277/.326/.470 112 wRC+. They aren’t all that different of hitters, granted Cabrera is post prime age and NC is in his prime but both project to be pretty similar hitters next year and Cabrera is only going to take 1 year, NC 3-5 at a healthy AAV. Give me the cheaper guy for less year with the risk involved with NC at 3B, if he’s a disasters you are handcuffed.

You are wrong. Defense does matter. By signing Castellanos, they'd definitely be taking a hit on defense. Doing it would have to be with the hope that his bat would be that much of an upgrade to make up for it. The alternative would be signing someone like Todd Frazier, would would theoretically offer a much lighter bat but substantially better defense.

Say whatever you want, but if we made Travis Shaw passable as a pseudo SS/2B/3B life would go on in miller park with castellanos doing the same.

If we had a GG caliber 2nd baseman, I would possibly consider Castellanos for 3rd but we don't. Our infield defense isn't going to be great even if we get a nice fielding 3rd baseman. With all of our shifting, you can hide one poor defender but not two.

Say whatever you want, but if we made Travis Shaw passable as a pseudo SS/2B/3B life would go on in miller park with castellanos doing the same.

Oh, I agree. I'd love a Castellanos signing, and I think the Brewers are smart enough to make him work defensively. I'm just pointing out that someone telling others that they worry too much about defense and "who really cares" is just a fallacy. You don't sign Castellanos to simply throw defense to the wind. That is irresponsible. You sign him in the hope that you can help him improve defensively, while putting him in the best situation to do just that. You sign him in the hope that the bat will make the defense palatable.

It would be a roster crunch with Castellanos this year, but with Braun and Smoak (if we decline the option) gone after this season, it would work out fine. If we had to have a roster crunch for one year to get Castellanos for another 4-5, it would work out fine. Braun might only be able to play 3 or 4 games per week this season or maybe someone like Cain will have a season ending surgery in April. Having a couple everyday quality bats on the bench to start the year isn’t a bad option at all.

Infield defense isn't as critical as it once was and the reason for that is all the strikeouts and the shifts which have made hitting the ball in the air more valuable. Groundball pitchers are a dying breed to a certain extent, but you can tailor your lineup if you are starting a groundball pitcher like say Brett Anderson.

I take any truth to the Brewers expressing interest in Castellanos as an attempt to create leverage in their trade discussions. They're using their track record of unconventional deployment of position players to make it appear as they'd be willing to sign and play NC at 3rd if their price on Hader isn't met. Just my guess.

This is the same account that is the source of the Hader/Yankees "rumors." The guy is just throwing everything he's got at the wall and hoping something sticks. It's all a load of garbage.

This is the same account that is the source of the Hader/Yankees "rumors." The guy is just throwing everything he's got at the wall and hoping something sticks. It's all a load of garbage.

That is likely. Probably just wishful thinking on my part. I truly think that Castellanos could potentially be close to a Yelich-level bat after his partial break-out last year.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived