Brewer Fanatic

Nick Castellanos

...and paying a really big contract.

He may be looking at a similar deal to what Moose got. Big contract for sure, but I think I like him for the next 4 seasons more than I like Moose.

At some point, defense has to be considered for future signings.

can you imagine the IGT threads when we start throwing up 3 errors per game?

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
...and paying a really big contract.

He may be looking at a similar deal to what Moose got. Big contract for sure, but I think I like him for the next 4 seasons more than I like Moose.

At some point, defense has to be considered for future signings.

can you imagine the IGT threads when we start throwing up 3 errors per game?

They've run some poor defenders out there in recent years, and have made it work. I don't expect that to change. I think may be a case of perceived defensive deficiencies being overstated. If the team decides that Castellanos's offensive value justifies his defensive issues, they'll throw him a contract offer. As far as we know they haven't done that yet, so perhaps they don't feel that way. But it wouldn't surprise me if he were a potential target. He checks a lot of the boxes they seemingly look for in players.

Castellanos in the OF and then Braun at 1B? Is defense not a thing of value anymore?

It appears that the Brewers may be thinking that way.

Which is interesting because when Stearns came he made some moves and everyone assumed he valued good defense and versatility...now it seem like the opposite. I am sure he values versatility (who doesn't), but I think he really just wants the players that will add the most value regardless. A good small market GM probably doesn't fall in love with any specific attribute and instead will make a team however he seems fit in any given year.

I've had the same realisation recently. Most front offices focus on value, but I think Stearns and his team are stricter with it than most, and willing to go where it takes them without deviating even when it's uncomfortable and unpopular. Adding the most value where it can be added, even if the positional fit isn't ideal. A willingness to not make the big and "obvious" move if it doesn't match their valuations. A willingness to shift to wherever the "moneyball" philsophy takes them. If good defense is undervalued one year they'll sign good defenders, if bad defense is too heavily discounted they'll sign butchers. The strict value focus (And the resulting unwillingness to spend on pitching thus far), the focus on depth over stars, the trust in underlying metrics over surface ones and other things are going to be things that I believe will annoy many of the more "traditional" fans throughout his tenure. But personally I'm delighted the team has bought in fully, and seen him given seemingly free reign. I also think the organizational aspects in terms of drafting, development etc. still haven't been seen, that it has taken time to fully implement.

As much as I dislike Ozuna, I’d be ok with that. I can’t see Ozuna signing a 1-year deal though.

I am just not seeing a market for Ozuna and he may just bet on himself like Grandal did and go that route.

Castellanos reminds me of another guy that saw a mid-career breakout, J.D. Martinez. I think Castellanos would evolve into a legit middle of the order bat playing half a season at Miller/AmFam Park.

I know this doesn’t prove anything, but Castellanos is only 27 years old. Here is a comparison between Martinez and Castellanos through their age-27 seasons...

J.D. Martinez through age 27:

[pre]BA OBP SLG OPS OPS+

.275 .327 .471 .798 118[/pre]

Nick Castellanos through age 27:

[pre]BA OBP SLG OPS OPS+

.277 .326 .471 .797 113[/pre]

I predict Castellanos is on the verge of a very similar career breakout, and I would love for it to be as a member of the Brewers. I can get past the defensive concerns and believe he will be a good replacement for Braun starting next year.

Edit: Here is another right handed hitting outfielder that went on to have a very good run from ages 28-30.

Corey Hart through age 27:

[pre]BA OBP SLG OPS OPS+

.273 .326 .470 .795 106[/pre]

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Castellanos reminds me of another guy that saw a mid-career breakout, J.D. Martinez. I think Castellanos would evolve into a legit middle of the order bat playing half a season at Miller/AmFam Park.

I know this doesn’t prove anything, but Castellanos is only 27 years old. Here is a comparison between Martinez and Castellanos through their age-27 seasons...

[pre]BA OBP SLG OPS OPS+

[pre]BA OBP SLG OPS OPS+

I predict Castellanos is on the verge of a very similar career breakout, and I would love for it to be as a member of the Brewers. I can get past the defensive concerns and believe he will be a good replacement for Braun starting next year.

Edit: Here is another right handed hitting outfielder that went on to have a very good run from ages 28-30.

[pre]BA OBP SLG OPS OPS+

I love the bat and would think he is a 30-35 HR, 100+ RBI bat in Miller Park but where do you play him? That D is supposed to be pretty rough.

[pre]BA OBP SLG OPS OPS+

[pre]BA OBP SLG OPS OPS+

[pre]BA OBP SLG OPS OPS+

I love the bat and would think he is a 30-35 HR, 100+ RBI bat in Miller Park but where do you play him? That D is supposed to be pretty rough.

If the organization under Stearns has shown anything its a willingness to forego defense for big bats. We'd find a spot for him

Castellanos is one of those guys that the Brewers could make a strong push for and I think is a very realistic target. I am sure that Boras is looking for a 7 or 8 year deal for him based on his age, but I think a 6 year deal could get it done. That takes him through his age 33 season. The only thing is how expensive will he be?

Is a 6/$90 million (AAV $15 million) enough? In this market, it’s tough to know how much he will go for. I do think this might be close to what he’s going to actually get.

He did seem to improve his defense some last year as well. And with the DH (in my opinion) coming to the NL after the 2021 season, and if his defense doesn’t improve, he could end up as the DH.

I do think he is going to breakout and be a .290 hitter with 30-35 homers and 40+ doubles possibly as early as this season. It would be awesome to have a legit right handed threat behind Yelich to protect him and make pitchers not be able to pitch around him. Heck, Yelich could become a 50 home run hitter if he has to be pitched to and can’t be pitched around! Pair those two with Hiura and Urias who I believe is going to be a .275/.350 hitter with 20 homers possibly as early as this season, and we have a nice young core to put around Yelich.

Hiura is a butcher in the field. Even if Castellanos played first base that would be an awful right side of the infield. Of the Brewers were still an A.L. he’d be a perfect fit but there’s not an OF spot for him in Milwaukee this year, not to mention the Brewers probably aren’t handing out a 75-90 million dollar free agent contract.

His OF defense has improved over time. It is also important to note that Miller park has a much smaller OF than Detroit does which tends to protect fielders. Last year his defense ranked around Braun, Desmond, Winker, Fowler etc as far as fielding balls. So I don't think it is quite as bad as some people are imagining. The worst part of his defense looks to be that he gets bad jumps on the ball which isn't too surprising for a converted IF.

The worst part of his defense looks to be that he gets bad jumps on the ball which isn't too surprising for a converted IF.

Which absolutely positively effects his defense. Bad jumps on balls is what makes or breaks an outfielder imo.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

If you watched the Cubs much after he arrived there (and I did living in Chicago area), you'd never had known his defense was seen as a major issue in Detroit. It simply wasn't in his time as a Cub and RF is a tough sun field in Wrigley especially late in the season. He got to the balls he should have and didn't misplay them when he got there.

Once he got on a contending team, both his offense and defense picked up. That's not all that unusual. Part of defending relating to getting jumps is concentration. Playing in big games tends to improve concentration.

If he’s willing to play 1B this year, he’s my #1 target. A top of the order of Cain-Yelich-Castellanos-Hiura-Braun-Narvaez with Urias potential is a solid one.

I would be thrilled with this. I’m comfortable with a long term deal for him, especially knowing that Braun’s contract comes off the books next season, basically opening up a similar amount of flexibility next offseason in the $15 million range that I think Castellanos will sign for.

The worst part of his defense looks to be that he gets bad jumps on the ball which isn't too surprising for a converted IF.

Which absolutely positively effects his defense. Bad jumps on balls is what makes or breaks an outfielder imo.

Sure and I never said it didn't. It is just understandable that it would be his problem. It is something that has some hope to improve in the future though I imagine he will become less athletic with age as well.

Mike Murphy from ESPN 1000 in Chicago is claiming the Cubs have a deal in place with Nick Castellanos, but have allegedly been waiting to announce it.

Decide for yourself, the audio is included in this Twitter Link.

They are literally trying to sell off parts of their core to save money. This would make very little sense.

Mike Murphy from ESPN 1000 in Chicago is claiming the Cubs have a deal in place with Nick Castellanos, but have allegedly been waiting to announce it.

They are literally trying to sell off parts of their core to save money. This would make very little sense.

Maybe they are waiting to announce it until they’ve shed some payroll via trade?

Isn’t that against the rules in MLB? I thought there was something in the rules somewhere that if an agreement is in place, it must be submitted to the commissioner’s office right away and can’t be withheld.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived