Brewer Fanatic

Nick Castellanos

I'd be all in on Castellanos. Obviously not for the 3B vacancy, but I think he'd be fine in RF or at 1B. Would provide a young, solid RH bat to the lineup.

I'm not an Ozuna fan. I don't know what it is about him, but I've never liked the guy. There is probably not a real good basis for that.

The highlighter colored sleeve, even with the Cardinals. Your hatred is warranted

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Castellanos wanted a new contract if moved to 1B. If he signed with the Brewers I doubt he would have an issue with it.

The issue with Castellanos is what is his worth? He's likely looking at very similar money to what Moose signed for (4 years/$64 million). Moose just turned 31, and is a solid if unspectacular fielder at 3B, and capable but below average at 2B. I'm sure Moose would be fine at 1B. Offensively, Moose doesn't have super drastic splits, but is decidedly much better against right-handed pitching.

Castellanos will be 28 in March (so 3 1/2 years younger than Moose). He's a hack as a fielder at 3B, so he likely wouldn't/couldn't be the answer there, other than in spots. He doesn't have a ton of range in the corner OF, but can handle it. He'd also likely be fine at 1B. He has been pretty solid against both righties and lefties throughout his career, with a slight edge against lefties. Both bring similar power numbers.

If he were to sign with the Brewers, I see him as a guy who would likely see time in both left field and at 1B, and probably some limited time at 3B as well. He'd be a prototypical #3 hitter behind Yelich. Given his youth and hitting ability, I'd be willing to give him a similar deal to what Moose signed for. I think there is a much better chance that Castellanos stays productive throughout the life of that deal, and he'd have another bite at the apple as a 32-year-old.

Castellanos wanted a new contract if moved to 1B. If he signed with the Brewers I doubt he would have an issue with it.

The issue with Castellanos is what is his worth? He's likely looking at very similar money to what Moose signed for (4 years/$64 million). Moose just turned 31, and is a solid if unspectacular fielder at 3B, and capable but below average at 2B. I'm sure Moose would be fine at 1B. Offensively, Moose doesn't have super drastic splits, but is decidedly much better against right-handed pitching.

Castellanos will be 28 in March (so 3 1/2 years younger than Moose). He's a hack as a fielder at 3B, so he likely wouldn't/couldn't be the answer there, other than in spots. He doesn't have a ton of range in the corner OF, but can handle it. He'd also likely be fine at 1B. He has been pretty solid against both righties and lefties throughout his career, with a slight edge against lefties. Both bring similar power numbers.

If he were to sign with the Brewers, I see him as a guy who would likely see time in both left field and at 1B, and probably some limited time at 3B as well. He'd be a prototypical #3 hitter behind Yelich. Given his youth and hitting ability, I'd be willing to give him a similar deal to what Moose signed for. I think there is a much better chance that Castellanos stays productive throughout the life of that deal, and he'd have another bite at the apple as a 32-year-old.

Would you be comfortable doing a 6/$84 million contract (AAV $14 million)? I’m thinking that might be what he’s going to be approaching in this market. If he’s a first baseman, is he worth that? If he could just be below average in right and not be a total butcher, I think we would be okay. Of course he could fill in a handful of games at third as needed, but that definitely isn’t something they would do regularly.

Would you be comfortable doing a 6/$84 million contract (AAV $14 million)? I’m thinking that might be what he’s going to be approaching in this market. If he’s a first baseman, is he worth that? If he could just be below average in right and not be a total butcher, I think we would be okay. Of course he could fill in a handful of games at third as needed, but that definitely isn’t something they would do regularly.

I would, with the hope that the NL will eventually adopt the DH for the last part of that deal. Castellanos played a lot of RF with the Cubs, and while he wasn't great, he also wasn't a huge liability out there. As a 1B, I think it is important to remember that even though he would have a high salary for that position, he isn't a guy who would need to be platoon, which provides more flexibility to the team. That is pretty valuable.

I'd be OK with this guy being added. But if you'd have told me 3 months ago we'd be talking 80+ mil I'd have been really surprised. So far on what the market is showing (wait, COLLUSION?!!?) though I see how that could happen. But man I'd like to think he could be had for something more reasonable than that. Don't wanna get caught overvaluing one hot streak.

While not good on D anywhere his flexibility I think fits well here and would allow for a multi year deal. You're primarily 1B this year. But, if Braun is hurt and our best fill in is a 1B then he can play RF. Then when Braun is done he could shift to OF if all we can get is a 1B. Or if say Ray or someone else pans out then he can stay at 1B. Can maybe survive for a DL stint of someone else playing at 3B some times. Then throw in possible DH down the line. I'd hope he's at least someone they're talking to

I totally agree. The more I think about it, the more I want Castellanos locked up long term. Locking in a core of Yelich, Hiura, Castellanos, Urias, and possibly a young guy for first or third through a trade and we will have a good foundation to compete for a long time.

For what position though? As others have mentioned, eight players have played 1B for the Brewers since Braun last played 1B - I doubt the Brewers' plans are to move Braun there, so I don't see a spot opening up in the OF. Castellanos has had nice numbers, but not for 1B - Thames' numbers were almost as good and the Brewers wouldn't pay him $7.5M for one year. I don't see the Brewers shelling out that kind of money for a 1B when they wouldn't pay Thames $7.5M.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Castellanos has been over 2.0 War 2 times in his career. The question you have to ask yourself is how much did that park in Detroit suppress his offense?

He doesn't walk a lot, and he doesn't hit for a super high average. The only time he's hit for a LOT of power is the last bit of last year, in Wrigley. Was he super hot, or was it getting out of Detroit? How much/how long do the Brewers want to gamble that that was an aberration, or the real deal?

I don't think Castellanos is a .790 OPS guy, and the flip side is I SURE don't think he's a 1.000 OPS guy. I don't want to be tied to an .850 OPS corner outfielder who's a bad fielder for 6 years, well into his 30's for 15 mil aav+. Those guys aren't that hard to come by.

David Stearns didn't rule out a little first base for Narváez. Also said Brewers "have had ongoing discussions with Ryan Braun about defensive versatility."

Brauny better get that 1B glove ready. With the deal for Narvaez, signing someone like Castellanos to play RF for a couple years, with an eventual move to 1B, makes even more sense.

David Stearns didn't rule out a little first base for Narváez. Also said Brewers "have had ongoing discussions with Ryan Braun about defensive versatility."

Brauny better get that 1B glove ready. With the deal for Narvaez, signing someone like Castellanos to play RF for a couple years, with an eventual move to 1B, makes even more sense.

I think the Brewers will go with Ozuna on a 1-year deal over a multi year deal with Castellanos.

I think the Brewers will go with Ozuna on a 1-year deal over a multi year deal with Castellanos.

As much as I dislike Ozuna, I’d be ok with that. I can’t see Ozuna signing a 1-year deal though.

Castellanos in the OF and then Braun at 1B? Is defense not a thing of value anymore?

Yeah to go along with Narvaez at catcher, Urias at shortstop, and Hiura at second. It would look like we are trying to put together the worst possible defensive team in baseball. I don't like it one bit that we are virtually punting on defense and could be below average at every position besides CF with Cain

Castellanos in the OF and then Braun at 1B? Is defense not a thing of value anymore?

It appears that the Brewers may be thinking that way.

Which is interesting because when Stearns came he made some moves and everyone assumed he valued good defense and versatility...now it seem like the opposite. I am sure he values versatility (who doesn't), but I think he really just wants the players that will add the most value regardless. A good small market GM probably doesn't fall in love with any specific attribute and instead will make a team however he seems fit in any given year.

The one thing he has stuck to still is his unwillingness to invest in pitching. We will see if that stays true as the offseason moves on and he has some much money to spend

It appears that the Brewers may be thinking that way.

Which is interesting because when Stearns came he made some moves and everyone assumed he valued good defense and versatility...now it seem like the opposite. I am sure he values versatility (who doesn't), but I think he really just wants the players that will add the most value regardless. A good small market GM probably doesn't fall in love with any specific attribute and instead will make a team however he seems fit in any given year.

The one thing he has stuck to still is his unwillingness to invest in pitching. We will see if that stays true as the offseason moves on and he has some much money to spend

it seems that Stearns takes an extremely pragmatic approach to team building, and you are right, the acquisitions are 100% based on analytical value. Heck, if there is some sort of metric that tells Stearns that Castellanos would provide more value if he was signed to be the team's everyday 3B, it wouldn't surprise me. If that's the route they go, though, it may be tough to find pitchers that want to come throw with that level of defense playing behind them.

This guys scares me. Before his hot month with the Cubs, he wasn't so great, in fact, a disappointment. Are we really willing to stick that kind of cash into a guy who had a hot month in the bigs?
"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

This guys scares me. Before his hot month with the Cubs, he wasn't so great, in fact, a disappointment. Are we really willing to stick that kind of cash into a guy who had a hot month in the bigs?

4.7 bWAR in 2018

OPS+

2016 - 120

2017 - 112

2018 - 128

2019 - 121

Only 27 years old

4.7 bWAR in 2018

OPS+

2016 - 120

2017 - 112

2018 - 128

2019 - 121

Only 27 years old

Yeah ... probably not the MVP-level hitter he looked like with the Cubs, but the dude is good. Offensively he's be a perfect for for this team. It would just be a matter of stomaching the defense.

Chances are the discrepancy can be explained by pointing out he went from a lineup with very little protection to one with protection galore. Castellanos in his 100 games with Detroit still finished 1st in OPS (.790), his 11 HRs were 4 HR short of the team lead, had 10 more doubles than the next highest player and finished 2nd in total bases to Miggy who edged him out for 1st by only 10 bases with 110 more plate appearances.

That entire Detroit offense was a world class stinker and he was their best player. I imagine opposing teams focused on trying not to let him beat them.

He's a good ballplayer, I'm on board.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

4.7 bWAR in 2018

OPS+

2016 - 120

2017 - 112

2018 - 128

2019 - 121

Only 27 years old

Yeah ... probably not the MVP-level hitter he looked like with the Cubs, but the dude is good. Offensively he's be a perfect for for this team. It would just be a matter of stomaching the defense.

...and paying a really big contract.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Archived