Brewer Fanatic

Brewers deal Chase Anderson to Blue Jays for minor league 1B Chad Spanberger

He was in the Baseball America Blue Jays top 30 lists prior to each of the last two seasons.

This tells me nothing.

Just saying it more in response to the people saying he isn’t on one now. I agree that it says next to nothing. I’d also point out that I have quite a bit of other information in the post...

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think there could be a little more to Spanberger than people are thinking. He was in the Baseball America Blue Jays top 30 lists prior to each of the last two seasons. They say he has 70 raw power, yet he hasn’t had insane K rates at any level (topped out at 24.4% in his first AA stop this year). The issue seems to be derived much more from a crazy 45% ground ball rate. If a guy with that much raw power could learn to elevate the ball a bit more there could definitely be something there.

His spray chart is also quite interesting, seems to have decent ability to hit to all fields and with some power.[attachment=0]59452260-8956-4981-9DA3-585DDA83E5CB.png[/attachment]

I think this is about as much as we could have hoped for in a return for Chase...

That looks real pull happy to me. Looks more like he can't hit to LF to save his life.

This to me, sounds like a guy that sees a lot of talent coming up behind him for 2020.

So many ideas running through my head. I'm not going to even bring up the one I've debated so many here about in the past. Regardless, Anderson's comment is very exciting.

Except that Anderson was perhaps the most logical piggyback candidate of any pitcher on the roster. That's basically what they did with him all year.

Except that Anderson was perhaps the most logical piggyback candidate of any pitcher on the roster. That's basically what they did with him all year.

Not necessarily the most suited for it though. This is another one that we'll just have to wait and see.

I suppose they could have figured that if the plan is 4 innings every 4 days, they can fill those innings cheaper. Anderson was only giving them 4-5 innings every 5-6 days. Lots of intriguing arms available both internally and externally.

Sorry, but that whole piggybacking thing is put to rest. The entire staff was getting destroyed and they couldn’t even find 4 guys to get through 3 innings the first 2 months of the season before making a bunch of changes and moves to at least keep the score within 3 after 4 or 5 innings. Burnes, Peralta, Chacin, Wilkerson, Nelson, Houser, even Woodruff early on, nobody could effectively give the Brewers multiple innings without giving up multiple runs early on. The Brewers were trying to out slug everybody and it worked for a little while.

Honestly, I don’t think I commented on it after the offseason last year, but the whole piggybacking idea because we had so many great options was so far off it’s not even funny. It wasn’t guys getting lit up in the 5th or 6th inning. It was guys struggling in the first and second frequently. Which is what they all would of been doing in the piggybacking scenario anyway is pitching 3 or 4 innings. They couldn’t rely on a single pitcher outside of Woodruff after his first handful of starts and Davies to do anything. Anderson came in and helped solidify it some and then the Brewers made moves to bring in guys like Jordan Lyles because their staff was so bad.

Sorry, but that idea and thinking it would of been more effective last year has 0 merit. None at all. Nobody could pitch 3 or 4 innings effectively last year early on without getting lit up and thinking that would be different by having set piggyback tandems is just not accurate at all.

I'm not even expecting it much less predicting it for 2020. The options they're giving themselves are intriguing though. Just about anything could transpire when so few roster spots are locked in. If they were ever going to do what to me is inevitable, the door is wide open to it right now. And Chase's comment hints at something. It sure doesn't hint at calling up all the aces they have knocking on the door in the minors. And Stearns couldn't have told Chase Anderson the names of a bunch of starters they intend to sign. What he obviously told him was the outline of a new plan that Chase doesn't fit in. This will be fun.

it should be noted that spanberger is on a minor league contract and is not rule 5 eligible this year, so this transaction does open up a 40-man spot.

This should not be overlooked. Guess that's why you're the roster guru. ;) It gives the team a boost in the farm without adding to the 40 man roster. Even if he doesn't pan out that 40 man spot might be used to keep a fringe player in the fold who turns it around like Grisham did. While he hasn't shown great promise so far, it adds depth to a system that lacked it. I think a major aspect of keeping a decent feeder system in place is doing this sort of thing. Trading spare or redundant major league parts to add to the overall talent level of the minors is helpful to maintaining long term viability.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

I'm not even expecting it much less predicting it for 2020. The options they're giving themselves are intriguing though. Just about anything could transpire when so few roster spots are locked in. If they were ever going to do what to me is inevitable, the door is wide open to it right now. And Chase's comment hints at something. It sure doesn't hint at calling up all the aces they have knocking on the door in the minors. And Stearns couldn't have told Chase Anderson the names of a bunch of starters they intend to sign. What he obviously told him was the outline of a new plan that Chase doesn't fit in. This will be fun.

If you think Stearns told Chase about a plan for 2020 in early November I don't know what to tell you.

All of this because Chase said " It's going to be a different group there next year, but they know what they're doing." ?

Yeah it's going to be a different group......Chase is gone.....and they really only have 1 guy who we know for sure will be in there.

My guess is Stearns told Chase something like this " Chase we've traded you to Toronto. I want to thank you for everything you've done for the Brewers in the years you've been a Brewer. We wish you the best of luck in Toronto"

If you think Stearns told Chase about a plan for 2020 in early November I don't know what to tell you.

All of this because Chase said " It's going to be a different group there next year, but they know what they're doing." ?

Yeah it's going to be a different group......Chase is gone.....and they really only have 1 guy who we know for sure will be in there.

My guess is Stearns told Chase something like this " Chase we've traded you to Toronto. I want to thank you for everything you've done for the Brewers in the years you've been a Brewer. We wish you the best of luck in Toronto"

Agreed that Sterns didn't tell Chase much of anything. At most, if Chase pushed, I expect that Sterns said something generic like needing more roster flexibility. Anderson has seen enough goings on with the Brewers brass to know they have a plan and they know what they are doing.

Best of luck to Chase, I hope he becomes a real thorn in the side of the Yankees and Red Sox.

Some teams cut ties without so much as a phone call. Some teams make contact and give players a reason why they're moving on. The Brewers are one of those teams that take the more personal approach. Chase's statement indicates to me that the Brewers were somewhat forthcoming with what their plan is going forward and why he didn't fit into it. And Chase clearly not only respects them for doing it, he vouched for what they have in mind. Like I said, they couldn't have told him their calling up the farm and going with the youth movement because the prospects aren't there to call on. And Stearns couldn't have told him names of pitchers they intend to sign because there's no way it could be that specific. Free agency is too unpredictable. The direction Stearns gave him could only be vague. It could be as simple as they want to fill the roster with ground ball pitchers and that's not Chase's strength. It could be that they feel they need to add an ACE and need to save every penny in other places that they can. Or it could be something like a whole new approach to getting 27 outs each day. I'm excited that they're shaking things up, that's all.

The amount of assumption in your post is boiling over all over the stove. Literally no one knows how the Brewers go about talking to departing players.

Anderson said himself he literally knew nothing about their plan with him until today, not a single thing. Where is it that he even talked to Stearns, period? I’m sure he did, but you make some lofty assumptions about their conversation...I must be missing something. It’s a business, neither side cares about what the other does after they depart...nothing.

So basically a guy that crushed A ball as a 22 year old (pretty old for that league as a college sign). Not too impressive of a track record in all honesty. Not a great prospect...but at least you can dream a little bit that he may figure it out.

He was 0.6 years older than league average in A-ball in 2018 when he put up a .942 OPS. In AA in 2019 he was one year younger than league average.

The amount of assumption in your post is boiling over all over the stove. Literally no one knows how the Brewers go about talking to departing players.

Anderson said himself he literally knew nothing about their plan with him until today, not a single thing. Where is it that he even talked to Stearns, period? I’m sure he did, but you make some lofty assumptions about their conversation...I must be missing something. It’s a business, neither side cares about what the other does after they depart...nothing.

I don't know a better way to put this other than to simply say that you're wrong.

This was a no brainer. The difference between Chase and some of the other internal options isn't much different. He is a fine pitcher but 8 million can be better spent elsewhere. Brewers need to cut costs and Chase was just at a cost that was just a bit too high

I don't know a better way to put this other than to simply say that you're wrong.

:rolleyes

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

How high in the Brewers front office did you have to get before you got to sit in on major personnel decisions?

I really don’t see how you would have any idea how they talk to departing players. Especially when Anderson already said he knew nothing until today when he got called. Yet today they had a lengthy conversation about the Brewers plans...idk doesn’t add up to me I guess.

Nice exaggeration of what I said, hope it makes you feel better. I've heard many things second and third hand about the inner workings of baseball organizations and how teams go about informing players or their release, trades, declined options, etc from people who have worked for MLB organizations. Nowhere did I state the Brewers plan for this offseason. I simply stated that the Brewers are one of the teams that reaches out to players personally when they make decisions such as these with players such as Chase. They made the professional effort in his case to give him an idea of why he's not in their plans for the 2020 season. Chase could've said many things about what was shared with him. He chose to say some telling things. At least they were telling to me given the context of the fractional knowledge I have of how the Brewers do business.

If you can draw a conclusion that Stearns layed out the Brewers’ 2020 plans of how they are operating their entire pitching staff and went into detail of what they are going to do differently and how they are going to operate based on “it’s going to be a different group there next year, but they know what they’re doing”, then I don’t know what to say. Other than that is totally not factual. Even if it WERE true that they were going to do some non-traditional things, Stearns wouldn’t be going around and telling all the players he is getting rid of what their plans are for the upcoming season. That doesn’t make any bit of sense.

If I had to guess, I would say that Stearns said absolutely nothing about how they are operating their offseason to a now opposing pitcher.

Anderson was traded, not released. If he was released, I could see Anderson asking questions. Even if he did ask, Stearns wouldn’t necessarily need to say. But he was traded. The Brewers got what they needed to out of the move. And Anderson’s services were wanted elsewhere.

Him saying it’s going to be a different group there next year is him realizing it’s going to be a different group there next year. Tons of moving parts, guys hitting free agency, and multiple rotation pieces no longer on the roster. It’s definitely different. Especially when one of the rotation guys himself is traded.

Anderson saying they know what they are doing is Anderson tipping his cap to Stearns acknowledging that Stearns is a smart man and knows how to build a roster to be competitive. Anderson saw it first hand and is tipping his cap on the way out. Classy move by a classy guy. I loved every minute of having Anderson on the Brewers. I wish him nothing but the best with Toronto.

Archived