Brewer Fanatic

Kenny Clark

adambr2

Someone help me figure out what happened to this guy. Looks like a budding star the first 3 years of his career. Improving steadily every year. Still only 24. Entering a contract year. Then all of the sudden -- extreme regression? At age 24?

There's no doubt he's been one of the biggest disappointments on the team and a main culprit for the tremendous run defense struggles but it's pretty puzzling.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
He doesn't have Daniels next to him anymore.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Daniels wasn't good last year though, which waters down that excuse a bit. He graded poorly (though not as a pass rusher which is what they haven't really misseD) and missed half the season. There has to be more to it than that. Detroit is paying him to spend lots of quality time with the trainers this year. I think it's schematic and a poor use of his skills.

Lowery hasn't loved up to the deal he signed this offseason, and Lancaster is just a guy. They need more out of Adams.

They don't need more out of Adams, they need more out of Clark. He was the 1st round pick, and was proving it earlier in his career. I'm sure he gets doubled a lot, but all great players do and still find a way to make plays. The Raji comparison is pretty accurate actually.

I know Daniels didn't grade out well, but I do think he helped with Clark's productivity overall. Obviously, getting rid of Daniels has proven to be fine at this point based on his terrible year in Detroit, but I can't help but think that this defense would be better (and Clark's performance) with someone better than Tyler Lancaster starting at DE.

I know Daniels didn't grade out well, but I do think he helped with Clark's productivity overall. Obviously, getting rid of Daniels has proven to be fine at this point based on his terrible year in Detroit, but I can't help but think that this defense would be better (and Clark's performance) with someone better than Tyler Lancaster starting at DE.

If teams opt to double Clark on most run blocking plays because every OT can manhandle Lancaster...it's much less Clark regressing than his supporting cast failing him. Not sure if that's the case, but it seems to be the argument some are making. I was personally more frustrated with the linebackers yesterday. Martinez/Gilbert seemed to get to the hole a bit late...and regularly allowed the runner an extra 4-5 yards after contact if they were even able to make the tackle.

Clark has also played the most snaps of any DT in the entire league. He's also dealing with injuries to his shin and calf. It's not regression as much as it's lack of help and playing through injuries. The decisions made on scheme (they went with a lighter front against the Chargers to supposedly help with the pass, and Rivers kept checking into runs against it with huge success).

I have zero reservations about signing Clark to a big contract. But you gotta get him some help.

Gruber Lawffices

Clark has also played the most snaps of any DT in the entire league. He's also dealing with injuries to his shin and calf. It's not regression as much as it's lack of help and playing through injuries. The decisions made on scheme (they went with a lighter front against the Chargers to supposedly help with the pass, and Rivers kept checking into runs against it with huge success).

I have zero reservations about signing Clark to a big contract. But you gotta get him some help.

Agreed, it's such a violent game, we have no idea what is going on with him even beyond the lower leg issues we've heard about. But even with that, heading INTO yesterday, he'd graded out as one of the best interior pass rushers in the NFL. So given that he's still about the same age right now that BJ Raji was when he was a rookie in the NFL, and he's not actually in a contract year, I don't think the BJ Raji comp is fair. Or at the very least it's incredibly premature.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Archived