Brewer Fanatic

My FA shopping List

I will try to be reasonable.

Resign Moose to a 2-3 year deal and stop this 1 year BS. (Cut Shaw)

Keep Thames

Catcher - Roll with Pina and try to sign a vet. Maybe Lucroy or trade for someone.

Pitchers - Try to sign two starters...one minimum. Wouldn't mind bringing Miley back, but I wonder if his price is too high now to be a value.

Sign two from this list...Miley, Gibson, Wheeler, Pineda (Risk with PEDS), and maybe Lyles

Sure, I would like one of the big $ guys, but trying to be realistic.

Relievers - Pomeranz or Will Smith would be nice adds. Beyond that...I trust the Brewers FO to find power arms.

I'd like to See Gamel and Braun get lots of work at 1B as well...Just to see if they can fill for Thames as needed.

I'd like to see the majority of $ spent on Pitching and hope that this is Arcia's year to be good again.

I like Moose but if they're going to be able to sign only 1 of Moose or Grandal, give me Grandal every day of the week. Not only does he play the position much harder to fill, but his ability to draw a walk is sorely needed in this lineup. Now if Grandal turns out to be impossible to bring back, then yeah sure Moose is a decent save. But I'm definitely exhausting every possibility with Grandal first.

And if Grandal is secured, I move on from Moose and try to fill the 3B hole with a low strikeout, contact hitting, on base machine. This team has more than enough slugging. Let's get some runners on base and some guys who will get runners home from third and less than 2 outs.

It's time to move on from Arcia as well. Easiest, most likely way to improve the roster.

Has there been any articles out there yet with predictions of free agent contracts? MLBTradeRumors used to do it every year, but nothing so far this year. Jon Heyman had an excellent article last year where he gave a prediction and he also had a baseball executive or scout also give a prediction. The past few years there has generally been a few credible sources per year that have thrown out guesses/estimates...and I have yet to find one this year.

I like to have some estimates before doing this, instead of just pulling numbers out of my own rear end.

My strategy would be to likely put about 55% of my available money towards Grandal and hopefully that gets done. Then I would look at using the rest to bargain shop. If Grandal turns to be out of my price range, then I bargain shop for a catcher to pair with Pina, and then see if there is a bigger priced asset to plug in on the right side of the infield or a starting pitcher...and then bargain shop from there. But I'd like to get some estimates to figure out if (1) Grandal is affordable (2) is there a higher priced SP, 3B, SS that I'd have interest in and (3) where will the bargains be.

Keep Thames

Agreed, but I'm not so sure about just cutting Shaw. There might be a team out there willing to take a chance on him that would give up a couple lottery ticket type guys at the least. I don't want to rely on Shaw bouncing back, I just don't think it's a wise move, but signing Moose, and trading Shaw for something is my plan.

Catcher - Roll with Pina and try to sign a vet. Maybe Lucroy or trade for someone.

Big giant NO on Lucroy. That ship has sailed, he is a shell of his former self, and nostalgia should not play a role in building this team. He's gone, he sucks, leave him be...

Pitchers - Try to sign two starters...one minimum. Wouldn't mind bringing Miley back, but I wonder if his price is too high now to be a value.

Do we want or need another 4 to 5 inning starting pitcher? CC won't allow a guy like Miley to throw 6 or 7 innings, I want someone who we can throw out there for a 6th or 7th inning, a guy we can trust, and I don't know that CC thinks Miley is that guy. Not to mention, Miley lost his magic the 2nd half last year...

Sign two from this list...Miley, Gibson, Wheeler, Pineda (Risk with PEDS), and maybe Lyles

Miley only if he can be had cheap. really cheap. I'd be fine with Gibson, but at what cost? Wheeler is severely over rated on this site. His numbers don't impress me to be honest, and he is going to get paid!! Pineda(?) Interesting, but there are risks. I am in favor of bringing Lyles back, this I can get behind, however, again, we really ned a couple guys that can go 7 innings on occasion, is Lyles that guy?

Relievers - Pomeranz or Will Smith would be nice adds. Beyond that...I trust the Brewers FO to find power arms.

Both would be great, but I think Smith is out of our $ range. (Is he a free agent?) I want Pomeranz back, his price also went up due to his strong performance with us

I'd like to See Gamel and Braun get lots of work at 1B as well...Just to see if they can fill for Thames as needed.

To me, Braun should already be penciled in for 50 plus games at 1B in 2020. Platoon him with Thames at 1B and problem solved. Assuming he is willing, and nothing I have seen says differently. Unless they are able to get Encarnacion for a decent price, Braun and Thames are my 1B starting the season.

I'd like to see the majority of $ spent on Pitching and hope that this is Arcia's year to be good again.

We NEED a TOR starter type to add to Woodruff. There is no doubt we will be looking, but I think we will roll with the usual cast of characters, hoping that Nelson will bounce back. (assuming we keep him) Arcia needs to be replaced, we just can't continue with the hopes that we see 2017 Arcia again, nothing about the last 2 seasons points to that happening.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Platoon Gamel with Thames? They both hit left handed and Gamel was so poor with the bat he got demoted this season. I don't think his bat comes anywhere close to playing at 1b.

Yeah, I didn't even address the Gamel comment, just makes zero sense.

Obviously the Brewers won't be able to do all of these things, but here are some names that have been bouncing around my head.

Catcher:

Grandal- #1 realistic target. He's an obvious target to try to re-sign

the rest of the free agent catchers would probably be time share candidates with Pina. Whoever the Brewers like best out of that group is probably fine with me.

Corner IF:

Moustakas- I'm a fan of him in general even if he isn't the best 3b target on the market.

Todd Frazier or Howie Kendrick- good right handed bats to platoon at 1b/3b. I'd lean toward Frazier since I have more confidence he holds up health wise and defensively at 3b. A RH complement in the corner infield would be important if Shaw/Thames are the LH side of the platoon at 1b/3b.

SS:

I think the Brewers absolutely need to do something to raise the floor of the SS position in 2020. Iglesias would be my preference if a low cost option is needed. Mercer or Hechavarria would be acceptable too. Didi would be a good pivot if the Brewers aren't willing to pony up for Grandal.

Utility:

Brock Holt would be a dream. Asdrubal Cabrera, Zobrist, and sogard all make some level of sense too. this is probably lower on the list of needs.

SP:

The number of arms needed here will depend on what they do with Anderson (should get an answer on that today)

I am of the mind that I'd like both Lyles and Gio back. I think both could be options out of the pen if they don't stick in the rotation.

Wheeler would be a dream. I don't think they spend that much on a SP though.

Hamels, Hill, Miley, and Alex wood all make some sense for varying reasons, but a lefty would be nice if Gio isn't re-signed.

I'm not all that enamored with Odorizzi, Gibson, Pineda, Kuechel, etc.

SP especially is where the Brewers can probably afford to wait out the market if they're grading out several of these guys as similar talents.

RP-

Pomeranz is probably the top target I'd like to sign. He might get expensive though considering the lack of good free agent options on the RP market.

I'd love Cishek.

Colin McHugh is a pet favorite of mine. If he's healthy he fits the Brewers strategy well. He's a swing man type. Has had really good success out of both the pen and rotation. Would provide good flexibility for the staff.

In no particular order:

Yasmani Grandal, C - 3 years, $67.5 million w/$15 million deferred

Eigoro Mogi, SS - 4 years, $12 million

Ha-Seong Kim, IF - 5 years, $15 million

Jordan Lyles, RHP- 3 years, $22.5 million

Drew Pomeranz, LHP - 3 years, $18 million

Mike Moustakas, IF - 2 years, $20 million, team option for $12 million, $2.5 million buyout

Gio Gonzalez, LHP - 3 years, $18 million

Madison Bumgarner, LHP - $3 years, $45 million

I like Moose but if they're going to be able to sign only 1 of Moose or Grandal, give me Grandal every day of the week. Not only does he play the position much harder to fill, but his ability to draw a walk is sorely needed in this lineup. Now if Grandal turns out to be impossible to bring back, then yeah sure Moose is a decent save. But I'm definitely exhausting every possibility with Grandal first.

And if Grandal is secured, I move on from Moose and try to fill the 3B hole with a low strikeout, contact hitting, on base machine. This team has more than enough slugging. Let's get some runners on base and some guys who will get runners home from third and less than 2 outs.

It's time to move on from Arcia as well. Easiest, most likely way to improve the roster.

Who in particular are you thinking of to take Moose's place at 3B? Does a thirdbaseman who is an "on base machine" even exist in FA or the trade market at a price you're looking for?

Keep Thames

Agreed, but I'm not so sure about just cutting Shaw. There might be a team out there willing to take a chance on him that would give up a couple lottery ticket type guys at the least. I don't want to rely on Shaw bouncing back, I just don't think it's a wise move, but signing Moose, and trading Shaw for something is my plan.

Big giant NO on Lucroy. That ship has sailed, he is a shell of his former self, and nostalgia should not play a role in building this team. He's gone, he sucks, leave him be...

Do we want or need another 4 to 5 inning starting pitcher? CC won't allow a guy like Miley to throw 6 or 7 innings, I want someone who we can throw out there for a 6th or 7th inning, a guy we can trust, and I don't know that CC thinks Miley is that guy. Not to mention, Miley lost his magic the 2nd half last year...

Miley only if he can be had cheap. really cheap. I'd be fine with Gibson, but at what cost? Wheeler is severely over rated on this site. His numbers don't impress me to be honest, and he is going to get paid!! Pineda(?) Interesting, but there are risks. I am in favor of bringing Lyles back, this I can get behind, however, again, we really ned a couple guys that can go 7 innings on occasion, is Lyles that guy?

Both would be great, but I think Smith is out of our $ range. (Is he a free agent?) I want Pomeranz back, his price also went up due to his strong performance with us

To me, Braun should already be penciled in for 50 plus games at 1B in 2020. Platoon him with Thames at 1B and problem solved. Assuming he is willing, and nothing I have seen says differently. Unless they are able to get Encarnacion for a decent price, Braun and Thames are my 1B starting the season.

We NEED a TOR starter type to add to Woodruff. There is no doubt we will be looking, but I think we will roll with the usual cast of characters, hoping that Nelson will bounce back. (assuming we keep him) Arcia needs to be replaced, we just can't continue with the hopes that we see 2017 Arcia again, nothing about the last 2 seasons points to that happening.

No to Gibson. 4.84 ERA (4.36 FIP). 10 hits and more than 3 walks per 9 IPs. Made over $8M last year. Not much of an upgrade at all. I agree Wheeler is too over-hyped and will be way over-priced for the Brewers. I'd like Lyles re-signed. Pineda brings a significant injury risk and he again is a less than 6 inning pitcher. If Stearns can sign him at a resonable price, he is better than what they have. Miley is really went south quickly starting in August. 62 hits in only 42 IPs. 31 ERs and 18 BBs in those 42 IPs. Maybe if they could get him at the $4M rate?

Who in particular are you thinking of to take Moose's place at 3B? Does a thirdbaseman who is an "on base machine" even exist in FA or the trade market at a price you're looking for?

If the Phillies non-tender him, Cesar Hernandez (https://www.mlb.com/player/cesar-hernandez-514917?stats=career-r-hitting-mlb&year=2019) might be the OBP machine you are looking for - over his career it's .352. Career OPS of .733.

I initially pitched him as an upgrade over Arcia, but he could be intriguing at third as well.

SP: Wheeler Plan B: Lyles

They probably need to non-tender Anderson to make Wheeler work financially. Lyles seems more realistic if they spend a lot elsewhere. I'd keep Gonzalez on the back burner, and plan on using Suter as a starter.

RP: Pomeranz and Jay Jackson

Pomeranz won't be cheap, but he was so key in their late surge. Jackson's still enough under the radar to be a bargain and be an upgrade over Albers.

Catcher: Grandal Plan B: Vogt

Grandal is number one target. Vogt still can hit and there's a 26th roster spot to use for a 3rd catcher as defensive replacement

SS: Gregorius Plan B: Nobody

Gregorius is the lone guy out there that's a clear upgrade over Arcia.

3B: Moustakas Plan B: Healy

3B has potential to be black hole. I think they'll sign Moose if they don't get Grandal back. I don't see them signing both. Healy is a bargain out there with upside who's not at the end of his career. He'd fit nicely in platoon either at 3rd or 1st. Might take a trade to fill this spot without Moose.

Utility:

Any number of guys on a minor league deal. They have to save money somewhere. If they land Didi, maybe Arcia takes this role.

Remember, this is if they lock up Grandal, but yes, there are low(er) cost, short-term fill-ins who I'd be happy to add to this lineup. All of the players listed below can play a passable 3rd base and carried higher OBP than Moustakas' .329 last year. Ranked by a combination of preference weighed versus assumed cost of contract...

Brock Holt .369

Howie Kendrick .395

Asdrubal Cabrera .342 (.404 w/ Was)

Neil Walker .344

Brad Miller .331

Cabrera, Walker, and Miller are admittedly less desirable options but if it allows them to retain Grandal, I can live with them for 1 year. I'd be targeting Holt and Kendrick this offseason in any scenario.

Grandal is number one target. Vogt still can hit and there's a 26th roster spot to use for a 3rd catcher as defensive replacement

Vogt, why, because he was once a Brewer?

Dude is over the hill, and has no arm, I mean nothing there, gone...

If he is the best we can do to pair up with Pina, we are in trouble.

Also, there is basically no way we carry 3 catchers.

SP: Wheeler Plan B: Lyles

They probably need to non-tender Anderson to make Wheeler work financially. Lyles seems more realistic if they spend a lot elsewhere. I'd keep Gonzalez on the back burner, and plan on using Suter as a starter.

RP: Pomeranz and Jay Jackson

Pomeranz won't be cheap, but he was so key in their late surge. Jackson's still enough under the radar to be a bargain and be an upgrade over Albers.

SS: Gregorius Plan B: Nobody

Gregorius is the lone guy out there that's a clear upgrade over Arcia.

3B: Moustakas Plan B: Healy

3B has potential to be black hole. I think they'll sign Moose if they don't get Grandal back. I don't see them signing both. Healy is a bargain out there with upside who's not at the end of his career. He'd fit nicely in platoon either at 3rd or 1st. Might take a trade to fill this spot without Moose.

Utility:

Any number of guys on a minor league deal. They have to save money somewhere. If they land Didi, maybe Arcia takes this role.

Imo Iglesias is better than Gregorius and Arcia, and will be cheaper than Gregorius. A big upgrade over Arcia. I don't see Stearns even looking at Healy for anything. Healy's last two years: .237/.277 and .237/.289.. Much better options are available. I can't see any team using the 26th spot (IF the limit on pitchers is 13) for a 3rd catcher. A solid pinch hitter would be a much better use of a roster spot. Vogt again struggled throwing the ball, but hit pretty well. If Stearns can't re-sign Grandal, he would be a decent compliment with Pina. Stearns has already intimated that Suter will be used in the pen again. He was as good as anyone in that role and is more valuable there than as a 5th starter.

If the Phillies non-tender him, Cesar Hernandez (https://www.mlb.com/player/cesar-hernandez-514917?stats=career-r-hitting-mlb&year=2019) might be the OBP machine you are looking for - over his career it's .352. Career OPS of .733.

I initially pitched him as an upgrade over Arcia, but he could be intriguing at third as well.

Can Hernandez play 3b or SS on a regular basis? He's played exactly one game at SS since 2015 and only 21 games there total in his MLB career. He hasn't played 3B since 2015 and only a total of 24 games there in his career. He is coming off a decent year and made almost $8M last year.

Can Hernandez play 3b or SS on a regular basis? He's played exactly one game at SS since 2015 and only 21 games there total in his MLB career. He hasn't played 3B since 2015 and only a total of 24 games there in his career. He is coming off a decent year and made almost $8M last year.

lol You must not know Clancy. Every player can play every position, that is all you need to know when it comes to this guy.

Bowden posted estimates for his top 35 free agents at The Athletic.

Grandal = 3 years, 57 million

Moustakas = 2 years, 24 million

Pomeranz = 2 years, 10 million

If those guys were willing to do those deals, I'd be down with all 3 of those contracts. AAV on Grandal's is a little high, but you are going to have to go high to stay away from having to go 4 years, which I'm not comfortable with.

Bowden posted estimates for his top 35 free agents at The Athletic.

Grandal = 3 years, 57 million

Moustakas = 2 years, 24 million

Pomeranz = 2 years, 10 million

Pom and Moose at those numbers are no brainers. I would have to think it over on Grandal.

My FA shopping list with roughly $47 million off the books currently:

Resign Moose 2/$22 million

Sign Howie Kendrick for first base and fill in for Braun in left during off days. 1/$10 million. Kendrick will need days off too most likely.

Resign Thames 1/$5 million.

Bring back Lyles 2/$8 million.

Bring back Pomeranz 2/$10 million.

Sign Iglesias 2/$12 million

Total: $41 million

Rotation as it sits:

Woodruff

Davies

Lyles

Burnes/Peralta

Lineup:

Cain

Hiura

Yelich

Kendrick

Moose

Braun

Iglesias

Pina

P

Kendrick is a great hitter that can play 1st and fill in for Braun. He doesn’t strike out much and can still be a 20 homer guy while hitting around .300. Thames will get plenty of opportunities during the year. Iglesias is a nice boost from the shortstop position.

I think guys like Nelson and Shaw will also be let go, which will free up more money to be spent on a solid rotation piece. I will actually be shocked if the Brewers don’t add one of the second tier guys like Bumgarner or Wheeler to the rotation. I think they will have room to add a guy like that while still adding some nice complimentary pieces to the offense.

• 3 months later...

All of the players listed below can play a passable 3rd base and carried higher OBP than Moustakas' .329 last year. Ranked by a combination of preference weighed versus assumed cost of contract...

Brock Holt .369

Howie Kendrick .395

Asdrubal Cabrera .342 (.404 w/ Was)

Neil Walker .344

Brad Miller .331

Cabrera, Walker, and Miller are admittedly less desirable options but if it allows them to retain Grandal, I can live with them for 1 year. I'd be targeting Holt and Kendrick this offseason in any scenario.

Nice to see a move I was calling for way back on November 3rd come to fruition on the eve of the first full squad workout.

Archived