Brewer Fanatic

Edwin Encarnacion

The Yankees have decided to decline Encarnacion’s team option for 2020, making him a free agent. He will be 37 before Opening Day next season. He did hit 34 homeruns in roughly 400 atbats last season with an OPS of .875 and OBP 100 points above his average.

He would provide a good right handed bat to pair with Thames (if he is retained) or as a mostly everyday first baseman if Thames isn’t retained. He will have plenty of pinch hit opportunities and can be the DH during interleague play to keep him fresh.

Would 1/$8 million get it done? He would be a nice right handed bat to help balance the lineup. Outside of Hiura, the Brewers lack significant power from the right side. Braun has flashes, but doesn’t hit as many bombs as he used to.

I wouldn’t mind him on a one year deal and I don’t see him getting a multi year offer from anyone.

I don’t think Stearns will let Moose get away in free agency and if he is retained and Encarnacion is added to the mix, you could look at a 1-6 of:

CF Cain

2B Hiura

RF Yelich

1B Encarnacion

3B Moustakas

LF Braun

I really like the balance a guy like Encarnacion would add to the lineup. He’s a good right handed bat to protect Yelich. Something we struggled with at times last season. And having Hiura all season will hopefully lead to Yelich moving down to third in the order.

Can he even play a passable 1B anymore, though?

His DRS was -1 last year in almost 500 innings at first base. Looks like he has improved his defense the last few years and has been an average to slightly below average from 2015-Present. His fielding percentage last year was .996 with a career .993 fielding percentage. I don’t think he’s a liability defensively whatsoever.

Can he even play a passable 1B anymore, though?

His DRA was -1 last year in almost 500 innings at first base. Looks like he has improved his defense the last few years and has been an average to slightly below average from 2015-Present. His fielding percentage last year was .996 with a career .993 fielding percentage. I don’t think he’s a liability defensively whatsoever.

Thanks for that info. I always worry about guys who log a lot of time at DH and are getting up there in years, but perhaps he would be a solid sign. I do wonder about cost, though.

Yankees declined 1B/DH Edwin Encarnacion's $20 million club option for 2020.

He'll get a $5 million buyout instead. Encarnacion posted a strong .875 OPS with 34 home runs and 86 RBI in 109 games this season between Seattle and New York, but the going rate for defensively-limited sluggers has tumbled in recent years. He'll turn 37 years old in January and may struggle to find a lucrative deal on the open market this winter despite his ongoing success as a veteran power bat.

Source: Yankees PR on Twitter

Oct 31, 2019, 12:14 PM ET

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but fielding percentages for a 1B are pretty worthless. For example, Prince had .997 for us in 2010. Good for a -2.8 dWAR.

Last year Encarnacion was good for a -.8 dWAR in his 57 games at 1B with his .996%

I'd rather have Thames.

Add Grandal to that mix...…..we can dream right?

CF Cain

2B Hiura

RF Yelich

1B Encarnacion

C Grandal

3B Moustakas

LF Braun

A line-up like that, and an upgrade at SS, and wow! Hell, we could probably afford to keep Arcia with that line-up.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but fielding percentages for a 1B are pretty worthless. For example, Prince had .997 for us in 2010. Good for a -2.8 dWAR.

Last year Encarnacion was good for a -.8 dWAR in his 57 games at 1B with his .996%

I'd rather have Thames.

The big thing about 1B defense is ability to prevent errors from your fellow infielders by digging out bad throws.

I'd rather have Thames.

They can make Thames and Encarnacion work.

Encarnacion put in an inning at second base in 2019, and he has primarily played first since 2012 with some time in left and third.

Encarnacion could play third if need be against lefties. He could be at first or in left when Grisham is either sitting or if Cain needs a day off. Or he gives Thames a day off.

I'd rather have Thames.

To a point yes, they probably have poor range which would lead to that I’m guessing. The high fielding percentage at least shows that they don’t boot routine ground balls to them that they can reach and they don’t make poor throws leading to extra base runners advancing.

• 1 month later...

Archived