Brewer Fanatic

Hader trade ideas

Gonzo75
  • Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hader to the Dodgers for:

Dustin May (slots into the rotation)

Tony Gonsolin (late inning relief, prior MLB success)

Joc Pederson + salary relief (1B/OF platoon, 2020 top of the order hitter)

Austin Barnes (C but plays other positions, 26 man)

Enrique Hernandez (Utility IF)

I know this looks light but May and Gonsolin are somewhat proven, young major league ball players. Pederson fills 1B and a corner OF need and his bat would play well in Miller Park. Barnes is what he is but allows Navarez to play some 1B. Hernandez is a wild card. He has some potential but could be an everyday player if he got consistent playing time. The Brewers would improve at three positions for the upcoming season instantly. If this is a train wreck Pederson, Barnes and Hernandez ate gone after 2020. Would the Dodgers give up five players on their 40 man?

Cain CF

Yelich RF

Huira 2B

Pederson 1B

Braun LF

Pina/Navarez C

Hernandez 3B

SS Arcia

Pitcher

Outside of the overrated prospect May, this is simply giving Dodgers Hader for a bunch of the players they are a) looking to get rid of b) don't really need c) expensive d) overrated

Might as well add Justin Turner and $20M more coming to us and watch as the Dodgers sign Rendon as well. lol

I love this trade idea! Dustin May played HS ball close to my home. His mom is my barista at a local Starbucks. I was the first person she told when he got his MLB call up! She knows I’m an avid Brewers fan. Dustin is a great young man with a bright future. I’d love to see him in Milwaukee.

It doesn't.

In one sense, the Hader market is really just a few teams: Contenders or big-market teams.

Hader will be worth keeping in 2020, and for sale only for a king's ransom. McNeil/Davis is the minimum I'd consider.

Now, this three-team deal might be a more elaborate way to do things:

https://www.baseballtradevalues.com/trades/trade-17662/

Brewers get:

McNeil

Davis

Lowrie

Morejon

Padres get:

Nottingham

Stroman

Lutz

Smith

Mets get:

Hader

Mejia

Ray

The Mets are getting raked over the coals in that deal. They give up McNeil, Davis, Lowrie Stroman and Smith, and only get back Hader and a couple of overhyped prospects. There's no way they accept that.

They send out $75.9 million in surplus value, they get $74.1 million back, but they get Hader for the bullpen, and Mejia slots in nicely for them.

Padres sent out $46 million, and get $40.6 back. They get a starter, a #2 catcher, help at LF/1B, and Lutz.

The Brewers send out $69.7 million, and get $76.9 million, but they are taking on Lowrie.

Surplus value isn't any kind of way to evaluate a trade with prospects included. The "value" of prospects is subjective because it's not against MLB pitching or hitters. It depends on who's evaluation you take.

This trade is a good example of the surplus value myth. The Mets give up a ton and get back a great relief pitcher, an OF (Mejia .244/.300) who is a backup and Ray who is still unproven and not anywhere near a top prospect. The Mets are close in surplus value, but in reality they get screwed royally.

I know this looks light but May and Gonsolin are somewhat proven, young major league ball players. Pederson fills 1B and a corner OF need and his bat would play well in Miller Park. Barnes is what he is but allows Navarez to play some 1B. Hernandez is a wild card. He has some potential but could be an everyday player if he got consistent playing time. The Brewers would improve at three positions for the upcoming season instantly. If this is a train wreck Pederson, Barnes and Hernandez ate gone after 2020. Would the Dodgers give up five players on their 40 man?

Cain CF

Yelich RF

Huira 2B

Pederson 1B

Braun LF

Pina/Navarez C

Hernandez 3B

SS Arcia

Pitcher

If Pederson is your starting 1B and Kike Hernandez is your starting 3B, just put your head between your legs and kiss the season good bye. First the Dodgers won't make the deal. Plus the Dodges would never do the deal.

I agree with the recent posters. Hader is at the top of the top. If we are truly re-tooling while staying competitive at the same time, the return for Hader better be a minimum of 2 top 100 prospects and. Major League #2 qualityStarting Pitcher.

A McNeil/Davis package is not bad, either. Third base and first base filled cheap for two years, controlled for five years, by players who whose OPS+ was at least 138.

And both will come from a field that is MORE pitcher-friendly than Marlins Park... and we saw what the move from Miami to Milwaukee did for Yelich...

Again Stearns is not going to use Hader as trade bait to fill “holes”.

I can almost guarantee that Hader will not be traded for a MLB 1b/3b this offseason.

And a full Guarantee that it won’t be for Jeff McNeill.

This trade was proposed on Baseball Trade Values by a Red Sox fan and has been universally liked so far by the community there.

49198280678_c0773cb60d_z.jpg

Curious if others like this deal from the Brewers standpoint?

Andrew Benintendi is under contract for three more seasons and Michael Chavis for six seasons. Benintendi did deal with some injuries and performance regression last season, but has shown the ability to be an above average offensive player. Chavis has some defensive versatility around the infield (1B, 2B, 3B).

Not just “at Night” anymore.

This trade was proposed on Baseball Trade Values by a Red Sox fan and has been universally liked so far by the community there.

Andrew Benintendi is under contract for three more seasons and Michael Chavis for six seasons. Benintendi did deal with some injuries and performance regression last season, but has shown the ability to be an above average offensive player. Chavis has some defensive versatility around the infield (1B, 2B, 3B).

No thanks - I know Ray had a bad 2019 and adding him at this point makes the trade value machine look evenish - but I'm not including him or just about any prospect the Brewers have with Hader as a sweetener unless it helps bring back an impact arm.

I know Hader's cost is about to start going up financially for the Brewers - frankly it should given his talent. I just don't see them trading him given the fact they are expected to try and contend for the division this year. It's not like their current financial situation prohibits them from paying the expected arbitration increases Hader will receive over the next few years, either. Some of the payroll trimming undoubtedly gives them flexibility to pay their own players the raises they will be getting.

Unless the Dodgers, Astros, or Mets completely knock the socks off Stearns with an offer too good to pass up, which in my book would include at least 1 proven and quality MLB player with 4-5 more years of team control and 1 impact arm either at or on the cusp of pitching in MLB, plus a low level lotto ticket prospect, I'm just fine with keeping Hader around to keep the Brewers' pen being a strength of the roster.

The Brewers shouldn't have to, and won't add anything to a Hader deal to "sweeten the pot". And if they trade him, it isn't going to be for "equal value" according to the trade simulator site. If they can't get a team to give them a massive overpay for Hader, they'll just hang onto him. His salary isn't detrimental yet.

Chavis and Benintendi sort of look like "just guys" to me.

The Trade Valuations I don't think are really accounting for Haders true value, especially to any contending team.

With that said, I disagree with this particular valuation of a trade.

Beintendi is a slightly above average regular that has shown signs of regression during a time when he should be breaking out.

Chavis is still an unproven commodity. He has shown some progression through 5 years in the minors. But he has posted an OPS south of .800 with only average power and speed. To me, he profiles as a replacement level major leaguer. His overall minor league numbers are a little worse than Travis Shaw's minor league numbers, as a frame of reference.

Hader as a LHP is the best reliever in baseball by quite a margin.

I'm not surprised that Red Sox fans would love this trade.

Of course the Red Sox fans would love this trade. They get one of the best relief pitchers in the game and a prospect. In return the Brewes get a utility man and a slightly above avg. outfielder with an injury history. How would this help the Crew? A big no thanks.

I really would like a TOR arm for Hader if we were to deal him

So if he were going to the Mets I’d like Syndergaard and Dom Smith

Hader

For

Syndergaard, Dom Smith and Familia or Lowrie

Adds a lot of Salary which I think the Brewers could take, but we get Syndergaard for 2 more years, Smith will be our first baseman for years and I’m sure we would have to eat either Familias 2 years to make it work. Familias been good up until last year where he was horrible or Lowrie who would be our day 1 3rd basemen for a year.

yup, just guys.

off topic.

Joey, I have been on this site 10 years longer than you and you have only 900 or so posts less than me.

I think you may have the fastest post count ever, I mean EVER.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

yup, just guys.

off topic.

Joey, I have been on this site 10 years longer than you and you have only 900 or so posts less than me.

I think you may have the fastest post count ever, I mean EVER.

The joys of a low-stress desk job ;)

Funny how they ask for Ray in it. Hader alone would be a No. Pitching for pitching. That is only deal with Hader. Were here with DiDi being an option to sign. We signed Grandal. Cain. Moose. Know who we didn't sign? Arrieta, Darvish, Strasburg, Cole, etc. So via the market we can attain position players. Not top of Rotation pitchers. You want a gamechanger pitcher then give us that gamechanger position player. Tatis Jr. Etc. If there is another out there that fits it. Or its SP.

More laughable garbage. Its Devers and Chavis+ if you're looking for an actual trade for the best RP in baseball.

Archived