Brewer Fanatic

Hader trade ideas

Gonzo75
Maybe Hader value increases at the trade deadline as the brewers see where they are in July.

It could increase or it could plummet. No way to know for certain, but I do have concerns about his multi-inning relief usage (more frequent in 2018 than last year) catching up with him at some point. Also, the more other players face him the more hittable he may become in theory. I hope he remains dominant (obviously), but I wouldn’t bet on it continuing for 4 more years.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1b-3b, SP are team needs now. The return has to be that ToR SP, such as Hader had in the minors. Ive said Dylan Cease. Find that type of SP with control before Arbitration. Its the Arb. Factor/Super 2 that has put Stearns in this position to trade Hader now. He could have a 9ERA this season and argue in Arb next season hes worth close to 10mil due to the last two seasons. Im only on my phone so perusing that trade get must is too mich. But mayber someone else has the Dylan Cease comp on a SP who would be Pre Arb with ToR future like such with Cease. That SP should be starting to begin this season, not a prospect callup.

I agree that the Brewers should use Hader for a young, controlled starting pitcher with ToR potential. The other offensive positions the Brewers have been adept at drafting or filling via bargin free agency.

Hader straight up for Snell makes sense because these leaves us in WIN NOW mode.

Cease has potential but he will still likely have a few years of growing pains at the MLB level even if he ever reaches ace status.

I actually feel that the White Sox RHP prospect Michael Kopech has an even higher ceiling than Cease.

I would take one of those guys, plus a few more top pieces in an offer from Chicago before I'd consider trading Hader.

Package Examples:

WHITE SOX

RHP Michael Kopech or Dylan Cease

C/1B Zack Collins

3B Jake Burger

This would at least have my attention.

PADRES

LHP MacKenzie Gore

RHP Luis Patino or LHP Ryan Weathers

3B Hudson Potts

BRAVES

RHP Ian Anderson

3B Austin Riley

RHP Kyle Wright or LHP Kyle Muller

DODGERS

SS Gavin Lux

C Keibert Ruiz

RHP Josiah Gray

NATIONALS

3B Carter Kieboom

RHP Mason Denaburg

LHP Tim Cate

ASTROS

RHP Forrest Whitley

C Korey Lee

RHP Jose Urquidy

A'S

LHP Jesus Luzardo

C Sean Murphy

RHP Daulton Jefferies

RAYS (if Snell is untouchable)

LHP Brenden McKay

1B Nate Lowe

RHP Brent Honeywell

These are all big asks, but if any of these contending teams that want Hader balk at these packages than Stearns can tell them to go pound sand, IMO.

Jeff McNeil and JD Davis are the type of return I'd expect if Hader was in his final season of team control, BTW.

If the Mets took Lutz out of the proposed deal from our side and added in RHP Matthew Allen coming to the Brewers, it could be on par with the packages above however.

If any of those teams is crazy enough to offer one of those packages for Josh Hader then the Brewers should say yes in a heartbeat.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

1b-3b, SP are team needs now. The return has to be that ToR SP, such as Hader had in the minors. Ive said Dylan Cease. Find that type of SP with control before Arbitration. Its the Arb. Factor/Super 2 that has put Stearns in this position to trade Hader now. He could have a 9ERA this season and argue in Arb next season hes worth close to 10mil due to the last two seasons. Im only on my phone so perusing that trade get must is too mich. But mayber someone else has the Dylan Cease comp on a SP who would be Pre Arb with ToR future like such with Cease. That SP should be starting to begin this season, not a prospect callup.

I agree that the Brewers should use Hader for a young, controlled starting pitcher with ToR potential. The other offensive positions the Brewers have been adept at drafting or filling via bargin free agency.

Hader straight up for Snell makes sense because these leaves us in WIN NOW mode.

Cease has potential but he will still likely have a few years of growing pains at the MLB level even if he ever reaches ace status.

I actually feel that the White Sox RHP prospect Michael Kopech has an even higher ceiling than Cease.

I would take one of those guys, plus a few more top pieces in an offer from Chicago before I'd consider trading Hader.

Package Examples:

WHITE SOX

RHP Michael Kopech or Dylan Cease

C/1B Zack Collins

3B Jake Burger

This would at least have my attention.

PADRES

LHP MacKenzie Gore

RHP Luis Patino or LHP Ryan Weathers

3B Hudson Potts

BRAVES

RHP Ian Anderson

3B Austin Riley

RHP Kyle Wright or LHP Kyle Muller

DODGERS

SS Gavin Lux

C Keibert Ruiz

RHP Josiah Gray

NATIONALS

3B Carter Kieboom

RHP Mason Denaburg

LHP Tim Cate

ASTROS

RHP Forrest Whitley

C Korey Lee

RHP Jose Urquidy

A'S

LHP Jesus Luzardo

C Sean Murphy

RHP Daulton Jefferies

RAYS (if Snell is untouchable)

LHP Brenden McKay

1B Nate Lowe

RHP Brent Honeywell

These are all big asks, but if any of these contending teams that want Hader balk at these packages than Stearns can tell them to go pound sand, IMO.

Jeff McNeil and JD Davis are the type of return I'd expect if Hader was in his final season of team control, BTW.

If the Mets took Lutz out of the proposed deal from our side and added in RHP Matthew Allen coming to the Brewers, it could be on par with the packages above however.

If any of those teams is crazy enough to offer one of those packages for Josh Hader then the Brewers should say yes in a heartbeat.

I could see the White Sox maybe making that deal with Kopech being the pitcher included. For all the hype over his arm, the guy now has hurt his arm (just Tommy John, normally not such a big deal), has one PED bust already, and his control has basically been "suck" throughout his time in the minors. He's always been at the top of the boom-or-bust list and it wouldn't be all that surprising if the White Sox now think the bust outweighs the boom and decide it's time to sell high on him. It may seem ridiculous when looking at the top 100 list...but I would bet that Kopech's value is quite a bit lower among the majority of MLB front offices. Still a good prospect? Yes. Still a top 100 prospect? Yes. Top 20? I think he should be a lot lower.

The rest of the deals would all be an immediate no from the opposing GM.

What do you see in Cease being a ToR arm. Last year in AAA: 68 IPs - 75 hits allowed - 32 BBs, 3 HBPs - 1.57 WHIP -4.48 ERA. Much worse when he got called up. I don't see that as a #1-2 type guy, much less a decent trade for one of the best in MLB.

Hader for Betts?

[bLEEP] NO!

My price is McNeil and Davis from the Mets - or something comparable for Hader and Lutz.

Hader is worth more than this.

Lutz and Davis are probably close in value, with a slight edge to Davis.

Hader is far and away the best reliever in baseball with 4 more years of team control.

McNeil is a fine hitter who had a heck of a season for the Mets in 2019 but in my opinion doesn't profile as much more than a slightly above average regular at 3B.

No way do I trade Hader for him as a headliner to a package, let alone for straight up value just to fill a current "holes" at 3B and 1B early in the offseason.

I'd rather bring back Shaw and Thames for 3B and 1B and keep Hader than make such a short-sighted type trade.

I think Hader/Lutz for McNeil/Davis is the right move to make - and not just because McNeil and Davis have five years of control left, and are cheap through 2022.

Let's look at multi-year park factors:

Stadium A: 92/92

Stadium B: 94/96

Miller Park: 101/101

One of the mystery stadiums is where Christian Yelich used to play half his games - when he was seen as solid, before he turned into a legit triple crown threat. The other is where McNeil and Davis played half their games in 2019.

By the way, Yelich's old home stadium is Stadium B. That's right, Citi Field is more pitcher-friendly than Marlins Park.

McNeil has a career 142 OPS+, Davis 116. In 2019, Davis posted a 138 OPS+, McNeil a 144 OPS+.

By comparison, the two good years Travis Shaw had saw OPS+ figures of 121 and 119. Moustakas, who just about everyone was hoping would return, posted a 114 OPS+ in 2019. With the Crew overall, it was a 112 OPS+.

Thames? 117 in 2019, with 106 and 125 in the two previous years.

McNeil and Davis are upgrades at 3B and 1B, just on OPS+ alone, before you consider the park factors.

One more thing to think about: Yelich's average OPS+ in Miami was 121. In Milwaukee, it's 171. I think going from Citi Field to Miller Park could do something similar for McNeil, who is coming from a higher floor than Yelich.

In other words, McNeil would not be a "slightly above average" 3B, I think he'd be a MVP contender alongside Yelich.

That alone makes dealing Hader not so painful.

That's before we contemplate Davis, who I think would not improve as much, but would still be a very solid addition (think of him in terms of Richie Sexson - for five years). If anything, he could be flipped later when he becomes arby-eligible.

Yes, I give up the best relief pitcher in baseball. But the return, I think, is well worth it.

Jeff McNeil is not an MVP caliber talent.

Just last off-season the Mets signed Jed Lowrie because they didn’t think McNeil could be an everyday player.

Changing home ballparks is not the reason Yelich reached his potential. Lol

I don’t doubt that hitting at Miller Park could help McNeill’s numbers, he doesn’t have the power or speed potential that Yelich did.

Yelich was 26 when the Brewers acquired him and was about to enter his baseball prime. McNeill is already 28.

If he doesn’t sustain a batting avg over .300 his OPS+ will plummet and he will become a replacement level regular in the Shaw/Thames tier of players.

What do you see in Cease being a ToR arm. Last year in AAA: 68 IPs - 75 hits allowed - 32 BBs, 3 HBPs - 1.57 WHIP -4.48 ERA. Much worse when he got called up. I don't see that as a #1-2 type guy, much less a decent trade for one of the best in MLB.

Heading in to 2019 Cease hadnt thrown a pitch at AAA. By midseason he was thrust in to ML pitching. At the prior levels he sat 3.32 and below in ERA. Its youth and scouting reports. Top 30 prospect that likely is top 15 if he hadn't jumped in to the majors. 10k/9 below 7hits per 9 up to the jump to AAA/MLB. He maintained a 10k/9 at the MLB level gave up more hits and a lot more HRs aka Burnes-lite increase. All at the age of 23. A year of seasoning. If he was lights out in AAA, in MLB ToR stuff in 2019, he's not going to be available. To anyone.

bullpen: Knebel, Suter, Feyereisen, Perdomo, Peralta, D. Williams, Andrews, Yardley

This pen is a poor return from Knebel away from being an unmitigated disaster. You have 3 known commodities and 1 is coming back from TJ within the year.

Either you like these JAGs (just a guy) way too much or you don't value the pen at all. 2 of them in the pen to start the year, maybe. 1 sure. 5? Just cancel the season.

bullpen: Knebel, Suter, Feyereisen, Perdomo, Peralta, D. Williams, Andrews, Yardley

This pen is a poor return from Knebel away from being an unmitigated disaster. You have 3 known commodities and 1 is coming back from TJ within the year.

Either you like these JAGs (just a guy) way too much or you don't value the pen at all. 2 of them in the pen to start the year, maybe. 1 sure. 5? Just cancel the season.

To put it bluntly, I really like Perdomo and Andrews. Both lefties, both rack up high K/9 totals. Andrews has shown he can go multiple innings, and he has a decent bat. Devin Williams also looked good in Milwaukee, IMO. Feyerisen and Yardley are interchangable with the likes of Rasmussen, Supak, Roegner, File, Bettinger, Burnes, QTC, Black, Wahl, Faria. Heck, add Zach Brown if he bounces back any.

To put it bluntly, I really like Perdomo and Andrews. Both lefties, both rack up high K/9 totals. Andrews has shown he can go multiple innings, and he has a decent bat. Devin Williams also looked good in Milwaukee, IMO. Feyerisen and Yardley are interchangable with the likes of Rasmussen, Supak, Roegner, File, Bettinger, Burnes, QTC, Black, Wahl, Faria. Heck, add Zach Brown if he bounces back any.

Andrews will likely begin at AA this year, and if he pitches well, MIGHT see AAA by the end of 2020. The chance that he makes any sort of significant major league impact in 2020 is about as close to zero as you can get. Perdomo has a chance, though.

To put it even more bluntly, that list really sucks if its guys who are supposed to be bullpen contributors following a Hader trade in 2020. That is far too many guys with zero mlb track record or marginal at best success in bullpen roles. In fact Hader's greatest value may be not getting traded so anything close to this idea doesnt happen next year. Sprinkle these guys in around Hader in very small doses, sure...but the reason the bullpen shuttle has been pretty successful the past few years is the fact Hader is in the pen to avoid exposing these other arms too much in late game winning situations.

That's why I think Hader stays a brewer in 2020 and resumes his most valuable role of late inning shutdown reliever without having to also act as the only closer option. Hoping knebel is able to regain that role or perhaps a new addition.

I think Kopech would have more value around the league, but I think the White Sox want to be competitive next year and they have a serious depth problem in their rotation. Unless I'm reading their situation wrong, I think they'd be more open to trading Kopech rather than Cease.

You're missing Bobby Wahl and Ray Black, both of whom have back-of-the-bullpen and massive strikeout potential.

I'd currently oder the back of the bullpen as: Hader, Knebel, Black, Wahl.

Yes, Knebel and Wahl are coming off injuries, but they are not freakish injuries like Jimmy Nelson's.

I think Kopech would have more value around the league, but I think the White Sox want to be competitive next year and they have a serious depth problem in their rotation. Unless I'm reading their situation wrong, I think they'd be more open to trading Kopech rather than Cease.

I would imagine you are correct. Kopech is coming off TJ surgery and probably not going to do much in 2020. Sox are not counting on him to be impactful until late if at all.

Generally I'd agree. But TB is a different type of team. First, the money owed to Snell is big for them and they're always looking to cut. Second, they're the other team besides us that is all about the creative bullpen usage and being creative. Thus devaluing starting pitching to a degree and also putting greater value on a possible multi inning machine like Hader. So yes I agree with your premise but I do think TB, if anyone, would be the ones to break from it.

So the money conscious Rays are going to trade a decently priced starter (cheap for his level of performance, at times) for a reliever who is go to be crazy expensive for a reliever after this year?

I don’t know if that really makes sense.

Generally I'd agree. But TB is a different type of team. First, the money owed to Snell is big for them and they're always looking to cut. Second, they're the other team besides us that is all about the creative bullpen usage and being creative. Thus devaluing starting pitching to a degree and also putting greater value on a possible multi inning machine like Hader. So yes I agree with your premise but I do think TB, if anyone, would be the ones to break from it.

So the money conscious Rays are going to trade a decently priced starter (cheap for his level of performance, at times) for a reliever who is go to be crazy expensive for a reliever after this year?

The Rays had a 62 million dollar payroll in 2019. When you only have 60+ million for 40 players and a minimum salary of 600,000k, is it easier to fit an elite reliever making 6-8 million, or a starting pitcher making 11-12??

The Rays had a 62 million dollar payroll in 2019. When you only have 60+ million for 40 players and a minimum salary of 600,000k, is it easier to fit an elite reliever making 6-8 million, or a starting pitcher making 11-12??

The starter.

Can’t ignore the fact Snell is a sure bet to be worth his salary...about as sure as it can get. Hader is a relief pitcher and they are fickle. A $60mil payroll can absolutely not afford a reliever to pull a $8mil+ salary to not be worth every penny plus a lot more (referring to Hader past 2020).

The Brewers are already looking to move Hader due to costs because of his salary in the future and the Brewers could have a payroll double $60mil. How do you think the Rays would feel if they had Hader?

The Rays are pretty smart. I'm guessing they could find multiple near elite relivers for 6-8 mil. I don't know too many teams that wouldnt keep the starter and its probably not all that difficult of a decison.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

It doesn't.

In one sense, the Hader market is really just a few teams: Contenders or big-market teams.

Hader will be worth keeping in 2020, and for sale only for a king's ransom. McNeil/Davis is the minimum I'd consider.

Now, this three-team deal might be a more elaborate way to do things:

https://www.baseballtradevalues.com/trades/trade-17662/

Brewers get:

McNeil

Davis

Lowrie

Morejon

Padres get:

Nottingham

Stroman

Lutz

Smith

Mets get:

Hader

Mejia

Ray

It doesn't.

In one sense, the Hader market is really just a few teams: Contenders or big-market teams.

Hader will be worth keeping in 2020, and for sale only for a king's ransom. McNeil/Davis is the minimum I'd consider.

Brewers get:

McNeil

Davis

Lowrie

Morejon

Padres get:

Nottingham

Stroman

Lutz

Smith

Mets get:

Hader

Mejia

Ray

The Mets are getting raked over the coals in that deal. They give up McNeil, Davis, Lowrie Stroman and Smith, and only get back Hader and a couple of overhyped prospects. There's no way they accept that.

It doesn't.

Brewers get:

McNeil

Davis

Lowrie

Morejon

Padres get:

Nottingham

Stroman

Lutz

Smith

Mets get:

Hader

Mejia

Ray

Very creative.

Zero chance of happening however.

It doesn't.

Brewers get:

McNeil

Davis

Lowrie

Morejon

Padres get:

Nottingham

Stroman

Lutz

Smith

Mets get:

Hader

Mejia

Ray

The Mets are getting raked over the coals in that deal. They give up McNeil, Davis, Lowrie Stroman and Smith, and only get back Hader and a couple of overhyped prospects. There's no way they accept that.

They send out $75.9 million in surplus value, they get $74.1 million back, but they get Hader for the bullpen, and Mejia slots in nicely for them.

Padres sent out $46 million, and get $40.6 back. They get a starter, a #2 catcher, help at LF/1B, and Lutz.

The Brewers send out $69.7 million, and get $76.9 million, but they are taking on Lowrie.

It doesn't.

Brewers get:

McNeil

Davis

Lowrie

Morejon

Padres get:

Nottingham

Stroman

Lutz

Smith

Mets get:

Hader

Mejia

Ray

They send out $75.9 million in surplus value, they get $74.1 million back, but they get Hader for the bullpen, and Mejia slots in nicely for them.

Padres sent out $46 million, and get $40.6 back. They get a starter, a #2 catcher, help at LF/1B, and Lutz.

The Brewers send out $69.7 million, and get $76.9 million, but they are taking on Lowrie.

Yeah, this is one where the trade value site just doesn't work.

Hader to the Dodgers for:

Dustin May (slots into the rotation)

Tony Gonsolin (late inning relief, prior MLB success)

Joc Pederson + salary relief (1B/OF platoon, 2020 top of the order hitter)

Austin Barnes (C but plays other positions, 26 man)

Enrique Hernandez (Utility IF)

I know this looks light but May and Gonsolin are somewhat proven, young major league ball players. Pederson fills 1B and a corner OF need and his bat would play well in Miller Park. Barnes is what he is but allows Navarez to play some 1B. Hernandez is a wild card. He has some potential but could be an everyday player if he got consistent playing time. The Brewers would improve at three positions for the upcoming season instantly. If this is a train wreck Pederson, Barnes and Hernandez ate gone after 2020. Would the Dodgers give up five players on their 40 man?

Cain CF

Yelich RF

Huira 2B

Pederson 1B

Braun LF

Pina/Navarez C

Hernandez 3B

SS Arcia

Pitcher

Archived