Brewer Fanatic

Hader trade ideas

Gonzo75
  • Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AJ Preller is in desperation mode and is willing to overpay for the games most elite reliever Josh Hader. He calls The Brewers and gives him a choice of two options. Which one would you recommend to them?

Option 1: LSP MacKenzie Gore

OR

Option 2: LSP Adrian Morejon

UT Jake Cronenworth

AJ Preller is in desperation mode and is willing to overpay for the games most elite reliever Josh Hader. He calls The Brewers and gives him a choice of two options. Which one would you recommend to them?

Option 1: LSP MacKenzie Gore

OR

Option 2: LSP Adrian Morejon

UT Jake Cronenworth

Option #1 and I wouldn't let them off the phone until the deal was finalized and announced.

If Gore isn't there, then I'd say the Padres don't have what the Brewers are looking for.

They absolutely do. I guess I should say they absolutely do as long as we're not dead set on getting MLB help immediately.

Blue Jays Receive:

LHP Josh Hader

RHP Adrian Houser

OF Tyrone Taylor

Brewers Receive:

2B Cavan Biggio

1B Rowdy Tellez

OF Randal Grichuk

RHP Alek Manoah

Blue Jays need pitching and get bullpen help and a young starting pitcher they can put in the rotation for a few years. They also add a young outfielder breaking into MLB.

Brewers get a young middle infielder/3B, their 1B of the future, an OF on a not too bad contract of 3/$31 million, and a young pitcher with upside. Biggio becomes the leadoff hitter for the foreseeable future a good young bat to pair with Hiura and Yelich. Tellez becomes the first baseman of the future with Hiura becoming the everyday DH in 2022. Grichuk adds some pop to the lineup and basically replaces Garcia’s contract once he leaves after this season. Manoah is a big projectable arm that sits in the mid 90’s with a couple quality offspeed pitches.

If Gore isn't there, then I'd say the Padres don't have what the Brewers are looking for.

They absolutely do. I guess I should say they absolutely do as long as we're not dead set on getting MLB help immediately.

It has been reported numerous times that Stearns/Arnold are looking for MLB ready players in any trade? Or MLB ready player/s that can help them win immediately and prospects.

It has been reported numerous times that Stearns/Arnold are looking for MLB ready players in any trade? Or MLB ready player/s that can help them win immediately and prospects.

Reported by who?

CJ Abrams from SD would likely fit best headline. I just don't know SS is where the team wants to go. Plus distance to Majors may be to far.

There likely wouldn't be much certainty thrown along after Abrams. 2 prospects between top 10-30 in SD's prospect list. Abrams has 150abs to his career. All but 8 at Rookie ball. A 6th selection in 2019. He could be every bit worth that ranking he has today, or he may just be inflated to a draft selection, plus his rookie ball stats on small 32game sample.

Personally I think people are dreaming if they think SD would give up Gore for Hader.

Agreed, but I think the Padres (and any other team) are dreaming if they think they are getting Hader for anything other than an elite package.

That’s the beauty of the Brewers position. We aren’t in rebuild mode, we still expect to compete, so Hader is an elite asset to the Brewers. So there’s no negotiating necessary, because no deal is necessary. There’s only “blow us away, or we’ll happily keep him.”

I am not Shea Vucinich

If Gore shows up in their rotation at some point this season, that lessens the chances of him being dealt at the deadline for Hader.

Once he shows up and becomes part of their rotation, no way they trade him for a bullpen piece, even as dominant as Hader.

If he remains in the minors and has yet to make an impact with the MLB team, the odds are slim, but still the off chance that the Pads are desperate for bullpen help, and move him for Hader.

Once they truly see what they have in Gore, and if he performs even slightly close to what everyone thinks he is, no way he is traded.

Personally I think people are dreaming if they think SD would give up Gore for Hader.

Agreed, but I think the Padres (and any other team) are dreaming if they think they are getting Hader for anything other than an elite package.

That’s the beauty of the Brewers position. We aren’t in rebuild mode, we still expect to compete, so Hader is an elite asset to the Brewers. So there’s no negotiating necessary, because no deal is necessary. There’s only “blow us away, or we’ll happily keep him.”

Yes exactly!!!

Just stupid crazy that other teams think they will get Hader for basically nothing.

Yeah, I'm not impressed by San Diego's bullpen. They could be very good, but I don't think they will be.

Hader makes a ton of sense for them.

Hader makes a ton of sense for us as well... We can win the Central, then anything can happen in the playoffs.

Hader isnt a FA until 2024, we have NO reason to trade the best reliever in baseball.

OK. Did I say otherwise?

I agree with both sides. I can understand why GMs aren't meeting our price and I can understand us setting our price point and sticking to it.

However, if nothing changes with Hader and we are back in a year or two dumping him for little in basically a salary dump because we don't want to pay his 3rd or 4th year arby salaries, that would be very disappointing.

That's essentially what happened with Knebel. I understand the situations are much different, but at one time Knebel had substantial trade value.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I agree with both sides. I can understand why GMs aren't meeting our price and I can understand us setting our price point and sticking to it.

However, if nothing changes with Hader and we are back in a year or two dumping him for little in basically a salary dump because we don't want to pay his 3rd or 4th year arby salaries, that would be very disappointing.

That's essentially what happened with Knebel. I understand the situations are much different, but at one time Knebel had substantial trade value.

But ... wouldn't having Hader on the 2021/2022 Milwaukee Brewers rosters theoretically provide value? I feel like that aspect isn't really being taken into account. Hanging on to one of the most talented relief pitchers in baseball is a good thing for a playoff contending team.

But ... wouldn't having Hader on the 2021/2022 Milwaukee Brewers rosters theoretically provide value? I feel like that aspect isn't really being taken into account. Hanging on to one of the most talented relief pitchers in baseball is a good thing for a playoff contending team.

Yes, this is fair.

Having Hader on a rebuilding Brewer club would be a waste right now, but this team should contend.

Right now, I think I'd peg us at 2nd in the division.

I do think the Cards landing Arenado is going to hurt. I love the Wong move. Adding either Bradley or Odorizzi would be a great finish to the offseason.

We're going to need some things to go right. Yelich definitely needs to return to form. We need a breakout from someone like Urias, and I'm hoping for a big rebound year from someone like Lindblom, Cain, Garcia or Narvaez.

Yes, this is fair.

Having Hader on a rebuilding Brewer club would be a waste right now, but this team should contend.

Right now, I think I'd peg us at 2nd in the division.

I do think the Cards landing Arenado is going to hurt. I love the Wong move. Adding either Bradley or Odorizzi would be a great finish to the offseason.

We're going to need some things to go right. Yelich definitely needs to return to form. We need a breakout from someone like Urias, and I'm hoping for a big rebound year from someone like Lindblom, Cain, Garcia or Narvaez.

Agreed completely. If the Brewers were a bottom-rung team (think Pirates), Hader would probably already be gone. He's still a Brewer because the Brewers see him as a very valuable piece of a contending team. Not that he is never going to be traded (I think Stearns will listen on anyone), but the chances of it I think are very slim unless for some reason the bottom falls out contention-wise, which I cannot see happening as long as Yelich and the quality pitching stick around. Hader provides an enormous amount of value to a playoff-contending club, so the offer is going to have to be huge to pry him away. Obviously those offers are going to decrease in value as Hader gets closer to free agency, but in theory he will continue to provide immense value to the Brewers during that time.

You are correct that we need some things to go right, but as of now, I don't see any reason why this team wouldn't be in contention for a playoff spot not only this season, but into the immediate future as well.

I think the Brewer team - if it is going to be a playoff contender - is going to do that due to okay hitting, good defense, solid rotation, and a very good bullpen - especially the back of the bullpen. It's sort of like the Royals of 2015 (not exactly, but close enough).

Thus, unless you do get a ton for Hader, you just keep him as he's essential to the team's success.

If the Brewers implode for whatever reason this year, then you can deal him at the deadline. Yes, there is risk he could get hurt or not be as good - but there's risk to dealing him as well.

Verified Member
We're a couple years too late now, so we might as well hold onto him and use him to win now. Unfortunately, we don't have a lot going for us in the minors, so I fear that this Yeli-Hiura-Woodruff-Burnes window is going to be pretty short and not quite good enough to make any real noise. I think the time was 2 years ago when we could have restocked our farm (and now team) a la the Carlos Gomez trade. Our future would be much brighter if that was the case. We aren't going to win anything significant by signing stopgap players for half the roster every season. At some point we need to trade away talent to get LOTS of YOUNG unproven talent back. And, of course, we need about a 4 year window where we get a bunch of hits in the draft.

Archived