Brewer Fanatic

Hader trade ideas

Gonzo75
Agreed. The moves the Brewers have made this offseason seem to have been geared toward run prevention. Doesn't make much sense now to deal off the best relief pitcher in the game, whose specialty would be to shorten games and keep late runs off the board.

The Brewers are likely to play in a lot of lower scoring, one-run games this year. A top bullpen certainly seems like part of the recipe towards outperforming expectations.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Padres will cave and meet Stearns’ asking price in my opinion. You go all in and do what they did this offseason, but come up short to not solidify your bullpen with the best reliever in the game?

They added two pretty good relievers this offseason in Kela and Melancon so I'm not really sure what you're talking about.

If they're counting on those two for high-leverage innings I think they're going to be disappointed.

Melancon's K rate plummeted and he's old.

Kela has thrown 30 innings in the last 2 years.

Drew Pomeranz headlines their closer. Craig Stammen is there. Plus who knows how they divvy up the youth movement. Devin Williams shored up the Brewers backend from out of nowhere. San Diego is healthy on RPs at the moment. Hader is a luxury move if they pulled one off before season began.

The Padres will cave and meet Stearns’ asking price in my opinion. You go all in and do what they did this offseason, but come up short to not solidify your bullpen with the best reliever in the game?

They added two pretty good relievers this offseason in Kela and Melancon so I'm not really sure what you're talking about.

They have a good, not great bullpen. I wasn’t implying them having a poor bullpen in any way. I just meant if you’re handing out a $300 million contract, bringing in multiple starting pitchers, signed the most coveted international player in Kim, as well as signing a couple quality bullpen arms, why wouldn’t they go all in and get the most feared and dominant relief pitcher in the game too?

They have a good, not great bullpen. I wasn’t implying them having a poor bullpen in any way. I just meant if you’re handing out a $300 million contract, bringing in multiple starting pitchers, signed the most coveted international player in Kim, as well as signing a couple quality bullpen arms, why wouldn’t they go all in and get the most feared and dominant relief pitcher in the game too?

I think it's funny that you listed a ton of things they did this offseason and don't consider that all in.

They traded for the NL Cy Young runner-up, traded for the 2018 AL Cy Young winner, signed the best international free agent, signed their young star for basically his whole career, signed a couple quality bullpen arms, traded for a #4ish starting pitcher but when are they actually going to get serious and go all in? If that's not going all in, I don't really know what is.

Fanblogs gonna fanblog. Important to remember, especially nowadays, that just because something is written on a professional-looking website, it doesn't mean its legit. I've seen posts from some of the crazier posters here (me included LOL) that sound more legit than this.

I don't see the problem with anything in there. In fact, isn't this what everyone here is saying?

Padres: For now this is just speculation

No national writers have confirmed anything of the sort, but that hasn’t stopped Padres Twitter from seizing the above tweet and running with it full speed. Trading for Hader is a long shot (although that’s never stopped Preller in the past) – but the thought of somehow adding Yelich to the deal is something MLB The Show actively keeps you from doing in video games.

Speculating on Yelich being traded is just stupid.......writing click bait blog posts about it is stupid.

He just signed the richest contract in Brewers history because he wanted to finish his career here.......now it might turn out like that and it might not......but they aren’t moving him after 1 bad half season coming off of 2 MVP quality years.

He didn’t want an opt out ......and the Brewers gave him a no trade clause.

He loves it here and the Brewers are building around him.......it’s not happening now.....and anyone with half a brain. knows it.

But hey.......bloggers need clicks......so they make crap up.

I think it's funny that you listed a ton of things they did this offseason and don't consider that all in.

They traded for the NL Cy Young runner-up, traded for the 2018 AL Cy Young winner, signed the best international free agent, signed their young star for basically his whole career, signed a couple quality bullpen arms, traded for a #4ish starting pitcher but when are they actually going to get serious and go all in? If that's not going all in, I don't really know what is.

Lol I knew that would be the one part you pulled out of the entire message. The point is that they already did a bunch to win now. Taking a good bullpen to an elite bullpen seems like a logical move.

Since 2014, Stammen had 1 dominant year (2018). 2 of the last 3 years (excluding 2020 where he had a poor ERA and decent FIP, his FIP was north of 4). He’s also going to be 37 before the 2021 season. Pomeranz had a total of 45 dominant innings out of the pen the last two seasons and wasn’t much of anything prior to that. Is he legit? 2021 is the real test for him. Hader has well over 200 innings and has done it year after year. Melancon is a nice signing. But he will also be 36 before the season starts. Kela has 31 innings to his name the last two seasons combined and has had multiple pitching arm injuries the last couple seasons. Their bullpen certainly isn’t a guarantee to be anything special. Could it be? Absolutely. Would I bet on them all remaining healthy/beating Father Time/having career years knowing the warts of each individual player? I would have to say no.

How did Yelich’s name even come up all of a sudden? Padres fans think they can trade for anybody now just because they got Darvish for a bunch of low level prospects. I can’t even imagine what a Hader/Yelich trade would look like.

No kidding, I couldnt believe it Padre idiot fans think they would get Yelich as well.

Lol I knew that would be the one part you pulled out of the entire message. The point is that they already did a bunch to win now. Taking a good bullpen to an elite bullpen seems like a logical move.

Since 2014, Stammen had 1 dominant year (2018). 2 of the last 3 years (excluding 202 where he had a poor ERA and decent FIP, his FIP was north of 4). He’s also going to be 37 before the 2021 season. Pomeranz had a total of 45 dominant innings out of the pen the last two seasons and wasn’t much of anything prior to that. Is he legit? 2021 is the real test for him. Hader has well over 200 innings and has done it year after year. Melancon is a nice signing. But he will also be 36 before the season starts. Kela has 31 innings to his name the last two seasons combined and has had multiple pitching arm injuries the last couple seasons. Their bullpen certainly isn’t a guarantee to be anything special. Could it be? Absolutely. Would I bet on them all remaining healthy/beating Father Time/having career years knowing the warts of each individual player? I would have to say no.

They're so loaded though, they can afford to wait and see how their pen looks as the year goes on. They're pretty clearly the 2nd most talented team in the NL. Just given how volatile relievers are, it'd make more sense to wait and see who's throwing well a couple of months into this season or if they even need help. A guy like Gore could step up and play a huge role for them out of the pen this year if they wanted...or jump into the rotation.

They have a ton of live arms, a loaded lineup, good enough starting pitching. I wouldn't give up much in the way of prospects at this point. Not when they've got a ton of power arms who could develop into studs as the season goes on. And if they don't, as I said, they'll always be able to add someone. They've got 5 months to figure out if they need help and who looks good/healthy enough to trade for.

I do kinda hope we make a deal with them. Williams, Hader, whomever it may be. I'd like to see them go to a team I'll be rooting for this year. Not ahead of the Brewers of course, but damn...this team looks like they're going to be exciting.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Fanblogs gonna fanblog. Important to remember, especially nowadays, that just because something is written on a professional-looking website, it doesn't mean its legit. I've seen posts from some of the crazier posters here (me included LOL) that sound more legit than this.

As one Friarsonbase reader commented, to the suggestion that Yelich and Hader were San Diego-bound, "Put down the crack pipe."

Some Padres fans also seem to think Hader wants to be traded to San Diego because of his answer at the 6-minute mark in this video released on his YouTube channel earlier this week.

Sorry at work, what does he say?

Some Padres fans also seem to think Hader wants to be traded to San Diego because of his answer at the 6-minute mark in this video released on his YouTube channel earlier this week.

San Diego is his favorite non-Milwaukee stadium to play in, and he likes the city.

Which isn't surprising ... San Diego is awesome. But him saying it really doesn't mean anything. He can't pick where he gets dealt to.

Yeah, I'm not impressed by San Diego's bullpen. They could be very good, but I don't think they will be.

Hader makes a ton of sense for them.

Hader makes a ton of sense for us as well... We can win the Central, then anything can happen in the playoffs.

Hader isnt a FA until 2024, we have NO reason to trade the best reliever in baseball.

San Diego is his favorite non-Milwaukee stadium to play in, and he likes the city.

Which isn't surprising ... San Diego is awesome. But him saying it really doesn't mean anything. He can't pick where he gets dealt to.

Trevor Bauer also said he loved MKE and Miller Pa... American Family Field in his vlog. It's just a nice thing to say.

Yeah, I'm not impressed by San Diego's bullpen. They could be very good, but I don't think they will be.

Hader makes a ton of sense for them.

Hader makes a ton of sense for us as well... We can win the Central, then anything can happen in the playoffs.

This can be very true. 7 game series and you get the best of Woodruff and Burnes twice plus Williams-Hader to complete games. The only turnover problem is at least 1 of those 2 wouldn't be ready for game 1/2 in next series. Be nice to see offense win a game the pitching matchups suggest you shouldn't.

Think that's part of what Hader trades not happening is a result of. He's a benifit for playoff run for Milw who is what you'd trade for if you needed help at the position to make a playoff push. Exactly why you put an insane asking price to trade him away. As things stand he's 100pct going to be QO'd when his FA begins. You know that a low 30s draft pick is coming if nobody meets your asking price. And you get the best of him while he's cheap. It's always something that a trade simulator never inputs in to a trade value. That draft pick. Brewers could use the pick to value or they could use it towards a 1st pick that exceeds pick value who drops. Take a top 7 expected picked guy who falls to the 20s where Milw likely picks and drafts and pays the guy who likely after 13picks expected not to sign any more. Yet Milw does so. A top 7 guy could be a Gore for example who nobody expects Hader for Gore Straight-up to happen. Gore was 3rd pick in his draft so reasonable talent-draft fall comparison.

Archived