Brewer Fanatic

Hader trade ideas

Gonzo75
Reading through the Twitter comments, these Padres fans are truly delusional. They think they can get Hader for a baseball and a bag of chips. Twitter rumors are the worst.

Saw one last night that said 36-year old Craig Stammen and $$ to buy down the level of prospects coming back to the Brewers. I immediately closed down Twitter after that.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Agreed. I know it’s a pipe dream but I was really hoping we would stretch him out as a SP. but alas, I know that’s not going to happen.

And that right there lies the question, how does Hader's value lowered so much vs a SP that isn't elite yet get away with a top 100 prospect easily +? Any big market team who acquires Hader will immediately extend Hader before he becomes a FA.

Sorry dropped daughter off before I could finish.

The guy has been atop relievers 3years now. This isnt a guy who likely fizzles out after 3 years. He will solve a concern for such team for the next 7-8years maybe longer. He on a HOF track. What barely there top 100 prospect can say they will?

A lot of the Hader conversation comes down to perception of value. Like most, I want a haul for Hader but ultimately I do t think that we will get that during the off-season. Need the mid year desperation and “go for it” mentality to kick in.

Having said all of that, I would not bet on Hader or any pitcher frankly as being reliable for 7-8 years. No, I have nothing to back it up but my feeling has always been that he will implode and probably sooner rather than later. Hopefully we will have already gotten out “prospect haul” for him before that happens.

Reading through the Twitter comments, these Padres fans are truly delusional. They think they can get Hader for a baseball and a bag of chips. Twitter rumors are the worst.

Saw one last night that said 36-year old Craig Stammen and $$ to buy down the level of prospects coming back to the Brewers. I immediately closed down Twitter after that.

I..... really?

I get that we're not getting Gore, but Abrams or Capusano plus an arm like Weathers has to be the starting point, right?

One of the most popular sports radio stations in San Diego. Acee is Padres beat writer for San Diego Union-Tribune.

Interesting. Well that at least gives some credence to the Padres working on another big trade. Kevin Acee has been a very good source for getting the details of the Padres transactions this off-season. If it is indeed Hader, I guess I won't exactly be shocked.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Going back to the discussion from last night about what a deal might look like with San Diego for Hader. Given the long reported Brewers asking price for Hader as "astronomical" AND the fact they are seemingly perfectly content to hold Hader unless blown away by an offer, I have to imagine that any deal for Hader would require Chris Paddack or MacKenzie Gore.

Believe me, I get all of the following arguments:

"Hader is a reliever and relievers shouldn't cost that much"

"They didn't trade the top prospects for Snell, Darvish, or Musgrove, they aren't going to for Hader"

"Brewers fans overvaluing their own trade asset"

I get it and understand the sentiment. However, go back to how Hader has been rumored to be dealt for years and is still in Milwaukee. Reading those tea leaves tells me it is going to take something "astronomical" like Paddack or Gore + a 15-20 range prospect for Hader or some combination of Major League-talent like Campusano, Morejon, and Weathers for Hader.

Are any of the aforementioned realistic? No. Not even close. Not likely. But that is why Hader hasn't been dealt and why I continue to be skeptical he ever will be.

(Side note: A Brewer fan could really dream on a Top 3 in the rotation of Woodruff-Burnes-Paddack/Gore for the next 5 years)

(Side note: A Brewer fan could really dream on a Top 3 in the rotation of Woodruff-Burnes-Paddack/Gore for the next 5 years)

The look of that top 3 makes me swoon... :)

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Believe me, I get all of the following arguments:

"Hader is a reliever and relievers shouldn't cost that much"

"They didn't trade the top prospects for Snell, Darvish, or Musgrove, they aren't going to for Hader"

"Brewers fans overvaluing their own trade asset"

The one thing I would add to the "arguments" list is that Hader is likely to get somewhere between $25 to $27 million over the next three seasons through the arbitration process. That's obviously still a reasonable price for his current level of talent, but is also something that diminishes his value slightly. Some people were surprised Snell didn't net an even bigger return, but the fact he's owed $40 million over the next three years likely dented his perceived value a touch.

It might not be right now, but I do think the Brewers will trade Hader at some point before his arbitration years run out.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

One of the most popular sports radio stations in San Diego. Acee is Padres beat writer for San Diego Union-Tribune.

Here is the gross proposal that caused me to shut down Twitter last night.

I don’t have a link or anything but apparently this Acee guy did specify later on that it is Hader. Take it for what it’s worth.

Baez and Cronenworth for Yelich/Hader is ridiculous, but I still think many of us are being unrealistic about what kind of a return Hader could fetch.

Hader does not carry enough surplus value on his own to bring back Paddack or Gore much less just as a starting point in a package. It doesn't mean we can't ask, and maybe we are, but if that's a sticking point then Hader will remain a Brewer. It is simply not a realistic return for this market.

The days of GMs frontlining a trade for a top reliever with a prospect like Gleyber Torres are over.

Baez and Cronenworth for Yelich/Hader is ridiculous, but I still think many of us are being unrealistic about what kind of a return Hader could fetch.

Hader does not carry enough surplus value on his own to bring back Paddack or Gore much less just as a starting point in a package. It doesn't mean we can't ask, and maybe we are, but if that's a sticking point then Hader will remain a Brewer. It is simply not a realistic return for this market.

The days of GMs frontlining a trade for a top reliever with a prospect like Gleyber Torres are over.

You nailed it. It’s why Hader will remain a Brewer forever or until he leaves via FA. Brewers astronomical asking price won’t be met.

You nailed it. It’s why Hader will remain a Brewer forever or until he leaves via FA. Brewers astronomical asking price won’t be met.

Agreed. And I'm ok with that. I think we're a lot better with Hader, of course.

https://www.cougarboard.com/board/message.html?id=25655482

"Some rumblings going around about Josh Hader to the Padres. Dennis Lin yesterday

said on the Darren Smith show that Padres GM AJ Preller really covets Hader but the price was said to be too steep.

This morning, on the Ben and Woods show (San Diego sports radio), one of the hosts said that a source in the know said there is a potential three-team deal being discussed to "improve the Padres bullpen" and the teams in discussion are the Padres, Brewers and Tigers.

As Lin (reporter from the Athletic, fwiw) said, I think the Brewers would ask for the moon for Hader, and Woods said he didn't know how far along the deal was or whether it would even happen, so I don't know that it's going to happen, but if it did, the Padres would clearly be the second best team in the league behind the Dodgers (they probably already are, but the gap between those two and the rest of the league would just get bigger)."

The Padres will cave and meet Stearns’ asking price in my opinion. You go all in and do what they did this offseason, but come up short to not solidify your bullpen with the best reliever in the game?

I wouldn’t be surprised to see them pull it off. Either pull off a trade headlined by Gore or a combination of Campusano and Weathers. Otherwise hold out and wait. I have a feeling Preller will be calling back. They are in a very competitive 3-5 year window with the moves they have done. Hader fits the bill perfectly.

The Padres will cave and meet Stearns’ asking price in my opinion. You go all in and do what they did this offseason, but come up short to not solidify your bullpen with the best reliever in the game?

They added two pretty good relievers this offseason in Kela and Melancon so I'm not really sure what you're talking about.

They added two pretty good relievers this offseason in Kela and Melancon so I'm not really sure what you're talking about.

You can definitely see San Diego has their share of RPs already.

So the Padres don't need Hader at the moment. But what about the Dodgers? Maybe San Diego's motive is to prevent LA from the chance to get Hader and prevent them from extending him to be a long term nuisance.

Going off that 3 team rumor-

Detroit's pitching prospects at the moment rate closer to where you would think headline a Hader deal. Matt Manning and Tarik Skubel in the 20s vs Gore a top 5. I'd guess. San Diego would use CJ Abrams and/ or Campusano to poach the Tigers pitching prospects. Trying to find maybe a ML piece SD could want fron Det but I dont know one. Its a bad rostered team. After Cabrera the second highest contract is 6.5Mil. to a horrendous Matthew Boyd and 5.5mil to Robbie Grossman who Detroit just signed.

Ah dug around and Det could be in running to Cronenworth as a SS fit. Using the return of the Tigers pitching prospect to get Hader. Skubel sounds like the best target for Milw. There certainly would be other toss ins to even it out.

Seems to be a whole lot of nothing connected to these rumors. Sounds like there were some bored people on Twitter.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Seems to be a whole lot of nothing connected to these rumors. Sounds like there were some bored people on Twitter.

Agreed. The moves the Brewers have made this offseason seem to have been geared toward run prevention. Doesn't make much sense now to deal off the best relief pitcher in the game, whose specialty would be to shorten games and keep late runs off the board.

Archived