Brewer Fanatic

Hader trade ideas

Gonzo75
I don't think they will or should trade Hader, but if I was forced the call I'd make is to the Angels for Jo Adell. They have been pushing to get to a contending roster and seem to be indicating they don't think Adell is ready to start yet (which he's not). I think they'd consider.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We can forget about the Padres, they just signed Melancon.

Just keep Josh/Devin together and go for the Central!

Yeah I agree, especially if we can sign Turner. Then we should be set. Just roll with Hader at this point and try to win the division.

I don't think they would have handed Wong $18 million unless they were making a strong investment in improved run prevention. Having a knock-out bullpen is obviously part of that. Turner would be a strong sign in that department as well as his defense rates out very well there. But if they don't end up signing him, I would suspect it means that Urias would be the primary starter at 3B, and while that infield of Hiura/Wong/Arcia/Urais isn't going to knock you over with offensive upside, is should be outstanding defensively, assuming Hiura takes well to 1B.

We can forget about the Padres, they just signed Melancon.

Just keep Josh/Devin together and go for the Central!

Yeah I agree, especially if we can sign Turner. Then we should be set. Just roll with Hader at this point and try to win the division.

I don't think they would have handed Wong $18 million unless they were making a strong investment in improved run prevention. Having a knock-out bullpen is obviously part of that. Turner would be a strong sign in that department as well as his defense rates out very well there. But if they don't end up signing him, I would suspect it means that Urias would be the primary starter at 3B, and while that infield of Hiura/Wong/Arcia/Urais isn't going to knock you over with offensive upside, is should be outstanding defensively, assuming Hiura takes well to 1B.

My god please dont be true.... We're gonna have the weakest hitting infield in the league.

My god please dont be true.... We're gonna have the weakest hitting infield in the league.

Not if Urias fulfills his potential as a solid MLB hitter. He was a top 25 MLB prospect for a reason, and it wasn't his defense.

Sorry, I should have been more clear... Power hitting.

I like power! Haha

Not if Urias fulfills his potential as a solid MLB hitter. He was a top 25 MLB prospect for a reason, and it wasn't his defense.

Sorry, I should have been more clear... Power hitting.

I like power! Haha

Stearns tried that approach in 2020 with Smoak, Garcia, Narvaez, Morrison and Healy. It backfired. I applaud him for looking at a different route this season. This lineup will still have plenty of power potential with Yelich and Hiura, and assuming Narvaez and Garcia rebound. Plenty of "ifs", but some solid upside too.

>>>> Not if Urias fulfills his potential as a solid MLB hitter. He was a top 25 MLB prospect for a reason, and it wasn't his defense. <<<<

Agreed, but that may be a big IF. For insurance, in the likelihood they don't sign Turner, a Shaw/Franco/Gyorko/Cabrera signing could provide insurance, and Urias could then float around the diamond, playing maybe half time, unless and until he breaks out. That would be a good problem to have.

>>>> Not if Urias fulfills his potential as a solid MLB hitter. He was a top 25 MLB prospect for a reason, and it wasn't his defense. <<<<

Agreed, but that may be a big IF. For insurance, in the likelihood they don't sign Turner, a Shaw/Franco/Gyorko/Cabrera signing could provide insurance, and Urias could then float around the diamond, playing maybe half time, unless and until he breaks out. That would be a good problem to have.

I'm not opposed to signing one of those guys, but I'm not sure any one of them provides very secure insurance to hit better than Urias.

If Franco is truly the hitter he was in 2018 and 2020, I would rather sign him to a 2-3 year deal... Dude is still just 28.

• 2 weeks later...
FOR ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY: If you type in "Hader" and "Padres" into a Twitter search right now you'll find a whole lot of Padres fans that think their front office is working on a deal involving Hader. From what I can tell it's just wild speculation based on some perceived bat signal from a Twitter user that didn't even mention Hader specifically, but some of them appear ready to buy their Hader jerseys anyway. :laughing
Not just “at Night” anymore.

FOR ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY: If you type in "Hader" and "Padres" into a Twitter search right now you'll find a whole lot of Padres fans that think their front office is working on a deal involving Hader. From what I can tell it's just wild speculation based on some perceived bat signal from a Twitter user that didn't even mention Hader specifically, but some of them appear ready to buy their Hader jerseys anyway. :laughing

I am not sure the Brewers really line up for the Padres any longer with the prospects they have left as headliners. I doubt Mackenzie Gore is available. I don’t see any Major Leaguers that are young enough or close enough to the Majors and prospect-y enough to warrant being the headliner. Campusano, while a stud, wouldn’t be the headliner I would be holding out for. I don’t think this is real but watch it be Campusano, Morejon for Hader.

A couple of prospects I do really like in the Padres system are LHP Ryan Weathers and OF Robert Hassell III. Weathers pitched briefly in the postseason last year, so he might not be too far away despite his young age. Hassell was their 1st round pick this past draft (8th overall) out of high school and is a long ways from the majors, but he was the star of USA Baseball’s 18U team and he has a great looking line drive swing. Hassell would immediately become the Brewers best prospect.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

I think anyone who doesn't think Campusano alone is enough for Hader is going to be mighty disappointed with the return if Hader is actually dealt. I doubt we could even get Campusano for Hader straight up.

I did not say Campusano isn’t a stud. I said he isn’t the prospect I would hold out for.

Right, and I'm saying I don't even think we'd get him.

A couple of prospects I do really like in the Padres system are LHP Ryan Weathers and OF Robert Hassell III. Weathers pitched briefly in the postseason last year, so he might not be too far away despite his young age. Hassell was their 1st round pick this past draft (8th overall) out of high school and is a long ways from the majors, but he was the star of USA Baseball’s 18U team and he has a great looking line drive swing. Hassell would immediately become the Brewers best prospect.

Weathers, Hassell, Abrams, Capusano, Morejon. Still lots of stuff in the Padres' system, even if you assume Gore is untouchable.

Not to steer this Hader discussion in a different way, but I wanted to just make a statement. After reviewing all the Hader Padres twitter posts....I was amazed at how many people still view him and think of Hader as a racist. Being a Brewer-fan, it is amazing to how we forget (or dismiss) this past from him. I'm not saying anything about his character or his past....just saying that I view him as an elite pitcher and totally forgot about this component of what potential baggage his has with him. That is all.

Not to steer this Hader discussion in a different way, but I wanted to just make a statement. After reviewing all the Hader Padres twitter posts....I was amazed at how many people still view him and think of Hader as a racist. Being a Brewer-fan, it is amazing to how we forget (or dismiss) this past from him. I'm not saying anything about his character or his past....just saying that I view him as an elite pitcher and totally forgot about this component of what potential baggage his has with him. That is all.

Because that "baggage" is a few Twitter posts from when he was 17 and in high school. He has owned it, addressed it with his teammates, apologized, and they have accepted his apology. It is a complete nothingburger ... simply something that fans in an opposing team's fanbase bring up as a knock against Hader in order to lessen the price that would be going back to the Brewers in their minds.

Agreed. I know it’s a pipe dream but I was really hoping we would stretch him out as a SP. but alas, I know that’s not going to happen.

And that right there lies the question, how does Hader's value lowered so much vs a SP that isn't elite yet get away with a top 100 prospect easily +? Any big market team who acquires Hader will immediately extend Hader before he becomes a FA.

Sorry dropped daughter off before I could finish.

The guy has been atop relievers 3years now. This isnt a guy who likely fizzles out after 3 years. He will solve a concern for such team for the next 7-8years maybe longer. He on a HOF track. What barely there top 100 prospect can say they will?

Archived