Brewer Fanatic

Hader trade ideas

Gonzo75
It is unbelievable that we still have no decision on the DH for 2021. That has a lot to do with decision making for roster construction.

AL teams no big deal, BIG deal for NL teams though.

I just don't get it.

This is Rob Manfred's MLB vision & effectiveness at work. I don't think he gets it either. Solve things that don't need solving, don't solve those things needing an obvious & timely resolution, and antagonize the players (and frustrated some managers) at every possible turn.

Man, I wish Bud would un-retire!

It is not just Manfred holding up the DH for the NL it is also the players union. In order for a rule change like this to happen the players union will also need to agree to it and the players union is not going to give up a negotiable even if it is in their favor until at least the next CBA. The players union accepted the DH last season due to injury concerns for pitchers. Don't expect the NL to get the DH unless the players union agrees to it this year but it definitely will be part of the 2022 season.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quantity over quality trade. Might seem underwhelming, but the RP market is starting to bleek.

LAD: Josh Hader

MIL: Edwin Rios, Adam Koralek, Mitch White (9), DJ Peters (11), & Zach McKinstry (18)

Dodgers deal from their depth to get a high end BP piece. A

Brewers get their 5 year 1B who fits their O profile, LH BP piece, potential 3/4 starter, future Garcia replacement, and a LH super utility player. White and Peters immediately enter our top 10 prospects to bolster our farm system.

Quantity of quality trade. Might seem underwhelming, but the RP market is starting to bleek.

LAD: Josh Hader

MIL: Edwin Rios, Adam Koralek, Mitch White (9), DJ Peters (11), & Zach McKinstry (18)

Dodgers deal from their depth to get a high end BP piece. A

Brewers get their 5 year 1B who fits their O profile, LH BP piece, potential 3/4 starter, future Garcia replacement, and a LH super utility player. White and Peters immediately enter our top 10 prospects to bolster our farm system.

I'd be supremely happy with that pkg.... I'd even take Rios-Koralek-McKinstry for Hader.

I still think that a Hader to LA deal for Rios, Ruiz + type deal makes too much sense. Dodgers trade from position of strengths (1B and C) for a position of need (closer), and they get Hader who is one of the best in baseball right now at that position. I'm not sure what the "+" would be from LA, or if we could even get another player, but I'd be fine with one of Kolarek, Peters, McKinstry, etc.

If the Dodgers have one weakness, its probably their bullpen. Especially with Jansen starting to struggle a little bit. If the Dodgers are trying to strengthen their bullpen, you might as well trade for the best reliever in the game. Like others have said, this makes too much sense for it to actually happen though.

There is chatter that the White Sox are close to a big trade, which may be true. Many of the followers are speculating it is Yelich and Hader together. :laughing

Edit: They announced the Lynn trade right after I typed this.

Haven’t seen the chatter, but I imagine it went something like this:

“Oh boy, we’re gonna get Yelich AND Hader for a sack of potatoes-“

Headline: Lance Lynn

What would be the return on Yelich and Hader? Few teams would have enough prospect/mlb ready players to do that. And what a kick in the shins for Brewer fans!!

At least with Hader, a lot of the trade proposals seem go something like this:

A utility infielder

A former top prospect that hasn’t been productive since 2016

The 57th best prospect in the system

Maaaybe the 25th best prospect in the system if they’re feeling generous

No, a couple of South Side Twitterites were teasing that a big trade was coming that would make people forget about Springer, who they believe is going to the Mets no matter what. At that point there were comments about Yelich & Hader and even a Yelich & Woodruff. No comments as to what the Sox would give up. Just before the Lynn news broke they revealed that the teams the Sox were talking to were the Cubs and Rangers plus a FA OF. Supposedly the same offer to Cubs and Rangers - Dunning for Darvish+Heyward (full contract $) or Lynn+Gallo. Joc Pederson is the FA OF. Oh, and same offer made to the Reds for Sonny Gray but Reds wanted more.

Now they're on to rumors about Quintana coming back.

If the Dodgers have one weakness, its probably their bullpen. Especially with Jansen starting to struggle a little bit. If the Dodgers are trying to strengthen their bullpen, you might as well trade for the best reliever in the game. Like others have said, this makes too much sense for it to actually happen though.

Right....but isn't the purpose of the thread to discuss Hader trades? I'd hold onto Williams unless we got Lux back(wouldn't literally take Lux).

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

The average fan wouldn't get excited about this trade based on name recognition, but if the Mets do sign Springer and Realmuto:

Brewers Get: Brett Baty / Dominic Smith

Mets get: Hader / Houser

Smith immediately steps into 1B and Baty is our 3b in 2 years.

The average fan wouldn't get excited about this trade based on name recognition, but if the Mets do sign Springer and Realmuto:

How does this trade make the Brewers better in the short run or long run?

If they’re going to trade Hader, I’d hope it would be for as close to a “sure thing” as possible. Dominic Smith isn’t a sure thing. He’s got a little more than a full seasons worth of at bats. Half of them great, half of them terrible.

Further, Milwaukee is trying to win now. If the Brewers are going to trade from their major league roster for players who are multiple years away from the big leagues they may as well hit the reset button and clean house.

Further, Milwaukee is trying to win now. If the Brewers are going to trade from their major league roster for players who are multiple years away from the big leagues they may as well hit the reset button and clean house.

If you want MLB ready talent get ready for a trade like this:

Gabe Gross, Dave Bush and Zach Jackson.

You are not going to get an All Star level player for Hader it is just not happening. The best bet is to go for a prospect over MLB ready type of a deal.

You are not going to get an All Star level player for Hader it is just not happening. The best bet is to go for a prospect over MLB ready type of a deal.

Right ... and to take that idea a step further, every prospect is also going to have question marks. There are very, very few "sure thing" type prospects out there, and those guys typically aren't traded. I would hope, though, that if Hader is traded, it will be for a headliner that has All-Star-type tools and talent.

If the Brewers trade Hader this offseason, it is my hope that it will be for a package of players that can contribute to the Big League squad in 2021. But that is far from a given, and it is probably in the team's best interest, now that Yelich is signed to a long-term deal, to take the package that has the best talent, whether it be short-term or long-term.

There's gotta be more to this deal than 2ML players(1 best RP B2B seasons) and a starter or late innings RP? For a 1B and a 3b prospect? There has to be 2 more prospects from the Mets at minimum. I like the headline and idea but theres Bust,Bust potential on return for Milwaukee.

Statcast I will say shows Smith improving and he could be a steal like Yelich pre-breakout. Does have lower exit velocity so not a Yelich clone type of breakout.

Right ... and to take that idea a step further, every prospect is also going to have question marks. There are very, very few "sure thing" type prospects out there, and those guys typically aren't traded. I would hope, though, that if Hader is traded, it will be for a headliner that has All-Star-type tools and talent.

If the Brewers trade Hader this offseason, it is my hope that it will be for a package of players that can contribute to the Big League squad in 2021. But that is far from a given, and it is probably in the team's best interest, now that Yelich is signed to a long-term deal, to take the package that has the best talent, whether it be short-term or long-term.

Another reason why I think it just makes way too much sense to make a trade with the Dodgers around a package of Rios and Ruiz.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Exactly. Let's not assume we are trading for Yelich and Hader, when the reality becomes Lance Lynn...

Ruiz is an offensive limited player and his D is average.

Rios is a career utility player

I get that Rios is on the older side for a prospect, but is it really fair to call him a "career utility player" when he's only played in parts of 2 seasons now for LA with limited AB's - and more than held his own?

You might be right on Ruiz. Looks like his prospect status has dipped a bit here over the past year, so maybe he's not one you want to have as the centerpiece coming back. How about we flip Josiah Gray in for Ruiz, and got Gray, Rios + for Hader?

What would be the return on Yelich and Hader? Few teams would have enough prospect/mlb ready players to do that. And what a kick in the shins for Brewer fans!!

I think you are probably overrating the value of Yelich. He is about to be a $26mil outfielder in his 30s. Next year is his last remaining cheap year and then it is a risky $200mil investment into an aging player.

I think he has positive value...but I don't think it would be a ton...unless a mega market was dying for an elite bat and paid to acquire Yelich figuring he would be much cheaper long term than someone they could find in FA. Even then those teams are so rich I am not sure slight savings is a huge deal worth giving up prospects and money to have Yelich.

I'm sorry - but I cannot see any way possible that the Brewers would be trade Yelich right now. Yeah, he's coming off of a poor year that nobody saw coming, but a lot of guys really struggled during this COVID season. Trading away the franchise player right now would be an absolutely horrible look for Mark A. We can argue Yeli's long term value all we want here, but I just don't think that would be a good business decision at all. The Brewers are going to have a hard enough time selling tickets for this upcoming 2021 season as it is with COVID still lurking (even if the vaccines work), so I can't imagine how much more difficult that task becomes if they trade away two of the most popular players on the team this winter, including the franchise in Yeli.

I'm sorry - but I cannot see any way possible that the Brewers would be trade Yelich right now. Yeah, he's coming off of a poor year that nobody saw coming, but a lot of guys really struggled during this COVID season. Trading away the franchise player right now would be an absolutely horrible look for Mark A. We can argue Yeli's long term value all we want here, but I just don't think that would be a good business decision at all. The Brewers are going to have a hard enough time selling tickets for this upcoming 2021 season as it is with COVID still lurking (even if the vaccines work), so I can't imagine how much more difficult that task becomes if they trade away two of the most popular players on the team this winter, including the franchise in Yeli.

They definitely won't trade him and much like with Ryan Braun we will be stuck with him for eternity whether things go good or bad.

Ruiz is an offensive limited player and his D is average.

Rios is a career utility player

Mario Feliciano hit 273/324/477 as a 20 year old in A+, striking out 28.8% of the time. Would you say he is an offensive limited player?

Keibert Ruiz hit 315/344/497 as an 18 year old in A+, striking out 14.4% of the time.

Yes, Keibert's offense has fallen off some since he moved up to AA (about a 95 wRC+ in 725 PAs), but he was a 19/20 year old switch hitting catcher in AA posting identical 7.4% K & BB rates.

Archived