Brewer Fanatic

Hader trade ideas

Gonzo75
I think the Yankees reject that trade unless the Brewers are paying some of Hader's and Garcia's salary. The Yankees will be over the cap for the 2nd straight year and they are rumored to be wanting to get below it so they don't have to pay the penalty.

For any Yankees trade for Hader I prefer Dominguez over anyone on the Yankees roster. If the Brewers could get Dominguez, Yoendrys

Gomez and Andujar from the Yankees I would call that a win.

Question. This is supposedly JD at the age of 16. Can one ask that this boy be you know an adult? Full face beard, the size of an NFL Linebacker who's 25? I'd love to see Aaron Judge get in a boxing ring vs JD. Be the Tyson/Holyfield right?

Just seems off to be that fully mature at 16 and only 5'10".

Wow - do we know if this kid has a legit birth certificate?? Man, there is no way that kid is 16-17 years old. As you said - that looks like a grown up 25 year old man! Well, after watching that video - I might change my tune on him. If he looks like that already, with that swing and supposedly sprinter speed - I might actually be OK with him headlining a trade for Hader. Yeah, we might have to wait on him for a few years, but looks like this kid could be a superstar. And, for that reason alone - I doubt the Yankees even consider moving him in a deal right now. Unless if it's to get a guy like Mike Trout in return.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Would the Braves be a possible trade partner? Melancon’s contract is up. They have talent that would fit our needs.

I guess it's possible. Melancon is a F/A after this season, but they did just pay Will Smith big money this past offseason. So, I'm assuming that he'll slot into the closer role next year after MM leaves. .

Personally though, I'm loving watching the Dodgers bullpen blow chunks in this series. Guess what LA....we've got the best reliever in baseball over the past three years. Make us your best offer!

Would the Braves be a possible trade partner? Melancon’s contract is up. They have talent that would fit our needs.

I guess it's possible. Melancon is a F/A after this season, but they did just pay Will Smith big money this past offseason. So, I'm assuming that he'll slot into the closer role next year after MM leaves. .

Personally though, I'm loving watching the Dodgers bullpen blow chunks in this series. Guess what LA....we've got the best reliever in baseball over the past three years. Make us your best offer!

I really really wouldnt be surprised if the Dodgers are desperate this offeseason and make a run at Hader...

I live in Arizona and know a few diehard Dodgers fans. They are not happy they have not won a WS. If they choke it versus the Braves the fanbase will be livid...

Challenge time for the board.

Hader has a surplus value of +22.3 million on baseballtradevalues.com

I think that's low, let's pretend that 30 out of 30 MLB teams has Hader as the equivalent of +32 million on their boards. Then let's pretend that baseballtradevalues.com has the correct number on all the rest of the players in the league.

Propose Hader trades that you would favor. You have 32 million to work with. One more rule, no "the Brewers throw in 5 million in cash to even up the deal" because Attanasio is not going to pay to move Hader off the team. That just isn't going to happen (especially after the COVID-19 crisis has thrown all the MLB owners into complete poverty).

Personally, I'd be 100% hold on Hader right now.

I think that's low, let's pretend that 30 out of 30 MLB teams has Hader as the equivalent of +32 million on their boards. Then let's pretend that baseballtradevalues.com has the correct number on all the rest of the players in the league.

Propose Hader trades that you would favor. You have 32 million to work with. One more rule, no "the Brewers throw in 5 million in cash to even up the deal" because Attanasio is not going to pay to move Hader off the team. That just isn't going to happen (especially after the COVID-19 crisis has thrown all the MLB owners into complete poverty).

Hader ($32 Million) and Arcia ($6 million) to the Phillies for Alec Bohm ($38 million). Done. ;)

How about this:

Dodgers get Hader - 32M value

Brewers get:

Josiah Gray - 17.7M

Edwin Rios - 6M

Miguel Vargas - 4.6M

Mitchell White - 3.3M

Heck, you'd even have .4M to spare!

Or this:

Braves get Hader - 32M value

Brewers get:

Bryce Wilson - 7.5M

Braden Shewmake - 15.4M

Kyle Wright - 8.7M

Now, I doubt the Braves are giving us two of their young SP that have both made their way up to the big leagues, but maybe they would be down enough on Wright to part with him in a deal like this?

Hader and Arcia for Bohm saves a bunch of money and fills a big hole at 3B.

Dodger trade you get a major league ready 1B/3B guy, their top prospect who is a pitcher and a couple wildcards.

Braves trade, if you get two major league ready starting pitchers you do it. The wildcard guy doesn't fit but there are other guys to put in there.

Of the 3 proposals I think the Dodger one is the most likely to happen because I'm not sure the other teams give up those players.

Hader ($32 Million) and Arcia ($6 million) to the Phillies for Alec Bohm ($38 million). Done. ;)

The Phillies certainly have a need for a elite reliver and are in "win now" mode. However, depsite what some website says, Orlando Arcia has negative trade value. First, there is a significant chance the Brewers simply non-tender him. Second more probably true than not, many players with similar skill sets will also be non-tendered which makes Arcia worthless to acquire in a trade.

The Phillies certainly have a need for a elite reliver and are in "win now" mode. However, depsite what some website says, Orlando Arcia has negative trade value. First, there is a significant chance the Brewers simply non-tender him. Second more probably true than not, many players with similar skill sets will also be non-tendered which makes Arcia worthless to acquire in a trade.

I would love to get Bohm, but I just don't know how willing the Phillies would be to give up a guy that came up and performed so well during the final month+ of this season. Seems like someone they are probably going to want to build around.

On top of that - there is very little else that I would be interested in with the Phillies system. Spencer Howard would be an option, but I doubt DS wants to do just a 1-1 trade of Hader for Howard - and according the trade simulator, Howard has more value than Hader. So, even though the Phillies should have a HUGE need for a guy like Hader this winter, I'm not sure how a deal would get done between these two teams?

Lindblom will be paid $3M for his services each of the next two seasons and could be a downright steal if he pitches like he did to end the year. It would be very foolish to give up on him right now after seeing only a handful of starts as he was figuring things out.

Cain on the other hand has negative value moving forward. Attaching him in any deal will kill the point of dealing Hader and it just wouldn't make any sense to do that. We knew when we gave Cain the deal that it would be touchy to finish it. If he comes back next season, he will be only another year older and it may get rough. But hopefully having a chance to heal up this summer will get him in position to be the gold glove type guy out there that we need on defense. Plus all the leadership he does bring. He just may not be a top of the order bat moving forward.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Below are the prospects on the site closest to the $32 million value and just below. Listing them all and not editing out any teams for likelihood as an actual trade partner.

Luis Campusano (C, Padres): 32.1

Andres Gimenez (SS, Mets): 32.1

Brailyn Marquez (LHP, Cubs): 31.3

Heliot Ramos (OF, Giants): 31.0

Nolan Jones (3B, Indians): 30.9

Nick Gonzales (2B, Pirates): 30.9

Jasson Dominguez (OF, Yankees): 30.5

Kristian Robinson (OF, Diamondbacks): 30.4

Trevor Larnach (OF, Twins): 30.0

Matthew Liberatore (LHP, Cardinals): 29.8

Forrest Whitley (RHP, Astros): 29.7

DL Hall (LHP, Orioles): 29.3

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Below are the prospects on the site closest to the $32 million value and just below. Listing them all and not editing out any teams for likelihood as an actual trade partner.

OK - here's what I don't understand with these trade simulator values: there is no way that Stearns is trading Hader 1-1 for any of those prospects listed above. You can't tell me that Aroldis Chapman had the same trade simulator value as Gleybor Torres, and the other prospects heading back to the Yankees a few years back, nor can you tell me that Andrew Miller had the same value as Sheffield/Frazier. So, even though these guys might have more value than Hader on this simulator site - there is just no way that DS is making a one-one trade of Hader for any of these guys. He's going to need at least a couple of Top 100 guys to make a trade.

Also, while many seem to think a trade this winter makes the most sense, it seems like most of the big trades of elite closers have all happened at the July deadline in recent years. So, I wonder if we still wouldn't be better holding onto him into next year (if the right deal isn't available this winter) and see if 2-3 teams next July want to really bolster their bullpen down the stretch run? Of course, the biggest risk there is you don't know how Hader will perform in the first 3 months next year or if the dreaded injury bug hits him.

OK - here's what I don't understand with these trade simulator values: there is no way that Stearns is trading Hader 1-1 for any of those prospects listed above. You can't tell me that Aroldis Chapman had the same trade simulator value as Gleybor Torres, and the other prospects heading back to the Yankees a few years back, nor can you tell me that Andrew Miller had the same value as Sheffield/Frazier. So, even though these guys might have more value than Hader on this simulator site - there is just no way that DS is making a one-one trade of Hader for any of these guys. He's going to need at least a couple of Top 100 guys to make a trade.

Also, while many seem to think a trade this winter makes the most sense, it seems like most of the big trades of elite closers have all happened at the July deadline in recent years. So, I wonder if we still wouldn't be better holding onto him into next year (if the right deal isn't available this winter) and see if 2-3 teams next July want to really bolster their bullpen down the stretch run? Of course, the biggest risk there is you don't know how Hader will perform in the first 3 months next year or if the dreaded injury bug hits him.

Moreover, the Brewers aren't going to strip it down to the studs by trading a core player for prospects when they have Yelich in the prime of his career. Accordingly, you can forget players like Larnach, Nolan, Jones Heliot Ramos etc., None of those players have played above AA. They're at least year's away, and could all have their stock fall off in the upper levels of the minors.

If the Brewers trade Hader (which I think is highly unlikely) they probably are targeting major league players like corner infielder to fill the holes in their lineup.

Guess I'll flip the trade idea with the White Sox on Vaughn with Gavin Sheets being their next 1b. So now the Brewers take an arm. Dane Dunning as your headline. Adding Gavin Sheets for 1b. and taking a some flyers. 1 on Jake Burger. drafted #11 who suffered 2 ruptured achilles tendons that forced him away from baseball 2years and covid a 3rd. And I'll keep the 4th with Benyamin Bailey.

Dunning had 5 starts for the White Sox this season and by all stat measures, should probably be a top 50 prospect, but blowing out his elbow in 2018 while 59th and he has been dropped back to 98th for the 2020 season. He's also going to turn 26 this offseason.

He's got the innings history, 3 pitches to pull from with reads a changeup that could develop in to a 4th. Started Game 3 for the White Sox vs Oakland.

Sheets is a 1b prospect that appears soon to MLB. Big 6'5" He has a .766OPS thus far in his 2+ minor League season. It's not 900 sure, but he was .762 rookie, 776 A+, 759 AA. 2nd round pick in 2017. Seems high floor but you get him before he may take off and exploding a high ceiling. We need a 1b prospect and gotta think he could be added to team after Super 2.

Benyamin Bailey I wrote about before. 6'4" more Walks than Ks. Sounds like a corner OF future. 19 something to dream about.

This could be like the opposite of Yelich, where the team acquires 4 guys that all will make it to the majors. The caveat though is Dane Dunning looks like a SP you can plug in right away in 2021 vs Lewis Brinson being a failed headliner. Isan Diaz being Gavin Sheets. Monte Harrison as Benyamin Bailey, and Jordan Yamamoto as Jake Burger. You're 4th who may be the best/2nd best when the dust is settled.

Guess I'll flip the trade idea with the White Sox on Vaughn with Gavin Sheets being their next 1b. So now the Brewers take an arm. Dane Dunning as your headline. Adding Gavin Sheets for 1b. and taking a some flyers. 1 on Jake Burger. drafted #11 who suffered 2 ruptured achilles tendons that forced him away from baseball 2years and covid a 3rd. And I'll keep the 4th with Benyamin Bailey.

Dunning had 5 starts for the White Sox this season and by all stat measures, should probably be a top 50 prospect, but blowing out his elbow in 2018 while 59th and he has been dropped back to 98th for the 2020 season. He's also going to turn 26 this offseason.

He's got the innings history, 3 pitches to pull from with reads a changeup that could develop in to a 4th. Started Game 3 for the White Sox vs Oakland.

Sheets is a 1b prospect that appears soon to MLB. Big 6'5" He has a .766OPS thus far in his 2+ minor League season. It's not 900 sure, but he was .762 rookie, 776 A+, 759 AA. 2nd round pick in 2017. Seems high floor but you get him before he may take off and exploding a high ceiling. We need a 1b prospect and gotta think he could be added to team after Super 2.

Benyamin Bailey I wrote about before. 6'4" more Walks than Ks. Sounds like a corner OF future. 19 something to dream about.

This could be like the opposite of Yelich, where the team acquires 4 guys that all will make it to the majors. The caveat though is Dane Dunning looks like a SP you can plug in right away in 2021 vs Lewis Brinson being a failed headliner. Isan Diaz being Gavin Sheets. Monte Harrison as Benyamin Bailey, and Jordan Yamamoto as Jake Burger. You're 4th who may be the best/2nd best when the dust is settled.

I like Dunning and I think you're right about plugging him in to the rotation right away. Bailey is young and a good throw-in. I don't think the rest of the pkg. is good enough for Hader. Sheets is a big, slow, below avg. defender at 1B. An AA guy with avg. OPS and is iffy to make it to the bigs by 2022. Burger hasn't played since 2017 and is a huge injury risk. 3 major left leg injuries in the last two years. I can't see the Sox in the picture for Hader.

I like Dunning and I think you're right about plugging him in to the rotation right away. Bailey is young and a good throw-in. I don't think the rest of the pkg. is good enough for Hader. Sheets is a big, slow, below avg. defender at 1B. An AA guy with avg. OPS and is iffy to make it to the bigs by 2022. Burger hasn't played since 2017 and is a huge injury risk. 3 major left leg injuries in the last two years. I can't see the Sox in the picture for Hader.

The Sox are losing their closer most likely in FA Alex Colome. Now I think I questioned when I made CWS trade proposals the need for Hader even with Colome gone as they seem to have a good young core of RPs that played this year who could just take over the job. On the other hand, my proposal doesn't seem to really hurt the Sox moving forward one would think. Parting with a #3/4 SP in 2021 for the elite Hader and 3 pieces that aren't in their immediate future plans has to feel like a great move to make.

Sheets while I haven't watched any video, I know I love the 6'3-6'5" batters. I've just seen the leverage guys that height are able to punish a ball a lot longer than somebody that's 5'11-6'1" He's left handed so while mlb page at the moment suggests he has to improve vs leftys, he is on the platoon side that would get 60% or more of the PAs. I dunno what really entails worry of a 1b's defense anymore. I mean in today's game of 3TO how bad can he be? .996 fielding pct thus far in minors.

The idea on Burger, is the upside of an 11th pick in the draft. He is back to doing baseball activities and would have played games in the minors had there been a season. Team needs to find places where they can bring up a legit 1b/3b to their offense. He's the lottery ticket, potential huge upside. Burger likely starts at A ball and advances to AA. A good showing and he'd be realistic for a callup in 2022 before end of the season.

I give the idea since the Brewers have taken their chances with draft picks that are coming off injuries or down seasons due to past injury and looking for the upside. Dunning and Burger would fit the bill of get them at this value before it's too much.

Also, I find less matchups on a Hader deal with what the other team could offer, and this seems like a reality.

Dunning really feels like a guy that if he's eligible for a rerank is going to jump in to top 50 prospects. Nothing in his numbers suggest that he shouldn't be. Dude misses a year having only reached AA and starts 7games in this covid season with 34IP!

Moreover, the Brewers aren't going to strip it down to the studs by trading a core player for prospects when they have Yelich in the prime of his career. Accordingly, you can forget players like Larnach, Nolan, Jones Heliot Ramos etc., None of those players have played above AA. They're at least year's away, and could all have their stock fall off in the upper levels of the minors.

If the Brewers trade Hader (which I think is highly unlikely) they probably are targeting major league players like corner infielder to fill the holes in their lineup.

As I mentioned the list provided was just all of the prospects listed around the value range of the question that was posed.

That being said, many of the players listed are not “years away”. The only reason players like Jones and Larnach haven’t yet played in Triple-A is because there weren’t minor league baseball games this year. Trevor Larnach is 4 months older than Luis Urias. Third baseman Nolan Jones will be 23 at the start of next baseball season and likely be in the majors at some point within the next calendar year. Ramos is likely looking at a 2022 ETA. Others from the prospect list like catcher Luis Campusano made his MLB debut this season despite never having played above high-A ball, and shortstop Andres Gimenez also debuted this season.

I agree that I don’t think a Hader trade is likely this offseason, but I wouldn’t be opposed to the Brewers centering a Hader trade around a high upside player on the brink of making their MLB debut if they really believed in the talent.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

As I mentioned the list provided was just all of the prospects listed around the value range of the question that was posed.

That being said, many of the players listed are not “years away”. The only reason players like Jones and Larnach haven’t yet played in Triple-A is because there weren’t minor league baseball games this year. Trevor Larnach is 4 months older than Luis Urias. Third baseman Nolan Jones will be 23 at the start of next baseball season and likely be in the majors at some point within the next calendar year. Ramos is likely looking at a 2022 ETA. Others from the prospect list like catcher Luis Campusano made his MLB debut this season despite never having played above high-A ball, and shortstop Andres Gimenez also debuted this season.

I agree that I don’t think a Hader trade is likely this offseason, but I wouldn’t be opposed to the Brewers centering a Hader trade around a high upside player on the brink of making their MLB debut if they really believed in the talent.

Given his recent history of acquiring young high level minor league prospects or those on the cusp of the major leagues, I don't trust Stearns. He's traded away more of those that have turned into solid major leaguers than he's acquired. I guess you can say jury is still out on Urias, but the results so far are less than promising.

I guess you can say jury is still out on Urias, but the results so far are less than promising.

Urias is 23 years young & has 422 plate appearances spread out over parts of three seasons, with the most recent 120 PA chunk happening during a pandemic shortened season when he was coming off a broken hamate & contracting the very virus that altered the entire season (& life in general).

Sure, his 226/315/320 (77 OPS+) career MLB line won't knock your socks off or make you quiver with excitement to your very core, but when you consider it's only 422 PAs spread out over parts of his age 21-23 seasons & the average 23 year old is still in A+ ball & he has a career minor league line of 308/397/433 with a 12.7 K% in 2400 PAs all while being around 3-4 years young for his level at each stop & I agree...the jury is definitely still out, just like it would be for any other 23 year old who had yet to play a full MLB season.

Given his recent history of acquiring young high level minor league prospects or those on the cusp of the major leagues, I don't trust Stearns. He's traded away more of those that have turned into solid major leaguers than he's acquired. I guess you can say jury is still out on Urias, but the results so far are less than promising.

Curious to know who, other than Urias, makes up your list of young high minor league prospects or those on the cusp of the major leagues that Stearns has acquired and missed on?

Archived