Brewer Fanatic

Hader trade ideas

Gonzo75
I know it's probably too early to do this exercise, but what teams do we think might be in play for a Hader trade this offseason? I'll start, but feel free to add others that you think might be motivated to make a deal for one of the best closers in baseball:

Phillies: this is a no brainer, as their pen has been a big reason why they continue to miss the playoffs - despite a huge payroll and Bryce Harper in his prime. The problem here is - I don't know if we match up well with them? I'd want Bohm in any package coming back, and I doubt they'd part with him now.

Dodgers (maybe?): If LA fails to win a title this month, and their pen fails them - then I think they might get desperate enough to add a weapon like Hader. Plenty of young bats and arms that would be appealing to the Crew.

Twins: Seems like it was more of the bats that failed them this year against the Astros, but they also seem to lack real difference makers in their bullpen. They also have to be extremely desperate to end that playoff losing streak next year, so maybe they get motivated enough to make a trade for Hader? Plenty of young bats/arms in their system that should be appealing to DS.

White Sox: a young team that might be 1-2 players away from being a title contender next year. Looks like Colome is a F/A this winter if I'm seeing it correctly, and that Crochet kid that they brought up a week or two ago went down with forearm tightness in their final game yesterday. We know that their system is still pretty loaded with good bats and arms, so this might be a team that would match up really well for a Hader trade?

What other teams am I missing that would be both motivated (1-2 players away and needing pen help), and have the young talent we would probably want in a return?

Padres are the only team I'm missing on there, you got the other realistic candidates on there already. Though who knows how high their payroll will go. They are at ~$90m for 2021 already before taking arbitration into account. And their arbitration eligible players include Pham, Davies, Clevinger, Lamet, none of whom will be cheap. Yates and Rosenthal are free agents, so they have a need. They're certainly able to fit in his salary, but remains to be seen if they actually will.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know it's probably too early to do this exercise, but what teams do we think might be in play for a Hader trade this offseason? I'll start, but feel free to add others that you think might be motivated to make a deal for one of the best closers in baseball:

Phillies: this is a no brainer, as their pen has been a big reason why they continue to miss the playoffs - despite a huge payroll and Bryce Harper in his prime. The problem here is - I don't know if we match up well with them? I'd want Bohm in any package coming back, and I doubt they'd part with him now.

Dodgers (maybe?): If LA fails to win a title this month, and their pen fails them - then I think they might get desperate enough to add a weapon like Hader. Plenty of young bats and arms that would be appealing to the Crew.

Twins: Seems like it was more of the bats that failed them this year against the Astros, but they also seem to lack real difference makers in their bullpen. They also have to be extremely desperate to end that playoff losing streak next year, so maybe they get motivated enough to make a trade for Hader? Plenty of young bats/arms in their system that should be appealing to DS.

White Sox: a young team that might be 1-2 players away from being a title contender next year. Looks like Colome is a F/A this winter if I'm seeing it correctly, and that Crochet kid that they brought up a week or two ago went down with forearm tightness in their final game yesterday. We know that their system is still pretty loaded with good bats and arms, so this might be a team that would match up really well for a Hader trade?

What other teams am I missing that would be both motivated (1-2 players away and needing pen help), and have the young talent we would probably want in a return?

Padres are the only team I'm missing on there, you got the other realistic candidates on there already. Though who knows how high their payroll will go. They are at ~$90m for 2021 already before taking arbitration into account. And their arbitration eligible players include Pham, Davies, Clevinger, Lamet, none of whom will be cheap. Yates and Rosenthal are free agents, so they have a need. They're certainly able to fit in his salary, but remains to be seen if they actually will.

Yeah, Padres could be a good option as well. I know they still have a good farm system, but with our dire need for young bats - I'm not sure if they match up perfectly? If we could get Patino and Campusano, I'd probably be on board. But, I doubt the Pads make that move.

All I know is that I just don't trust Hader anymore. Dude gives me butterflies everytime he comes into the game.

I am all for trading him for the right package, especially since Williams seems to have come into his own...

We probably missed his high water mark on a trade, but he still has a ton of value, so if the right offer crosses Stearn's desk, I hope he pulls the trigger.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Let me throw another team out there: Blue Jays

Obviously, they have a young offensive lineup, and got a taste of the postseason for the first time this year. In looking at their bullpen, looks like they had a bit of a "closer by committee" approach this year? Do we think they might want to make a stronger run at a playoff spot next year - especially if we do get some type of expanded playoffs moving forward? With the Rays and Yanks ahead of them though, I think it would take the expanded playoffs for them to be interested.

Would they have anyone in their system that would be appealing to Stearns. Seems like most of their prospects are a few years away at best.

All I know is that I just don't trust Hader anymore. Dude gives me butterflies everytime he comes into the game.

I am all for trading him for the right package, especially since Williams seems to have come into his own...

We probably missed his high water mark on a trade, but he still has a ton of value, so if the right offer crosses Stearn's desk, I hope he pulls the trigger.

I agree that we missed his high water mark, but I think we are now looking at his peak realistic value. Teams were not willing to pay his actual value since he had so much control, reasonably priced and dominance. No one paid the ransom, but now we're at the point where what we would get back is still a ridiculous haul and a team is likelier to pay it. Exciting to think about what we could get back for sure since we are closer to actual fruition now.

“I'm a beast, I am, and a Badger what's more. We don't change. We hold on."  C.S. Lewis

Considering that Gavin Lux has a hard time cracking the Dodgers lineup (or 28-man roster) and he had an awful Covid season, maybe he would be a piece they would move?

Just wait till Jansen blows some games. He may have gotten the Brewers out with his 90 mph fastballs but that won't cut it once they face a good lineup.

I agree that we missed his high water mark, but I think we are now looking at his peak realistic value. Teams were not willing to pay his actual value since he had so much control, reasonably priced and dominance. No one paid the ransom, but now we're at the point where what we would get back is still a ridiculous haul and a team is likelier to pay it. Exciting to think about what we could get back for sure since we are closer to actual fruition now.

Hader has now shown an effective second pitch and cut his hr rate dramatically. I think his value is higher now

I'll look at above and say as a counter to White Sox and Twins to add the Cleveland Indians.

#1 guy is 3b Nolan Jones who happens to be #38 in MLB's prospect rating. A guy that picking up Gyorko's option would project to be ready by September next season and of course the 6 seasons after.

#4 is a Catcher named Bo Naylor 1st rd pick in 2018. Not in the top 100 but likely close. Had 10 triples in 2019 so not your typical catcher. He's probably 2 years away, which would fit a Narvaez departure.

#6 is a SS named Gabriel Arias. Age 20 AA so you figure a 2 year window. One that fits an Arcia departure if he makes it that long. Arias was the #1 player acquired in the Clevinger trade with the Padres. Likely the guy the Indians see as who replaces Lindor with a season left. Indians do have a top 100 prospect SS Tyler Freeman but unlike Freeman, Arias has power in his bat and thus the target. I think Urias/Arcia may be giving the idea light hitting SS with D and upside are overrated. Arias in the underrated see!

Why do the Indians do this trade? Hand/Lindor maybe Carlos Santana(Bobby Bradley 1b replace prospect top 100 formerly) are goners after next season. Indians have Jose Ramirez locked up through 2023 most likely the 3b for them. Jones is blocked then in that aspect, Indians don't miss a beat when Hand departs. Team still has SPs to remain relevant in the AL Central but their window offensively is closing.

Brewers fill at minimum 2 MLB offense spots and Arias is at least a utility inf with power.

I'm generally against the idea of trading Hader, but given the Brewers likely will be reducing payroll going into next season and other teams probably looking to do the same... they may be to entice a team who is more interested in giving up talent than signing a big free agent contract into giving up a strong trade package for Hader.

Not sure why he was pretty good this year. Half his walks came in one game and half his hits came in another game. Take out those two appearances and he was pretty stellar.

Actually, after his 5 walk disaster he didn’t give up a walk in his last 11 appearances.

Sounds better than just about every bullpen arm in baseball. I get some PTSD after that 5 walk performance, but that was one of his lone blemishes all year.

indeed, Hader appeared in 21 games. In two of those appearances (1 1/3 IP), he gave up 6 runs and 5 walks combined. In the other 19 (17 2/3 IP) he gave up a total of 4 hits and 5 walks for just over a .500 WHIP. He's more than fine, and still one of the best relievers out there. He just had two bad outings, it happens.

So I'm not at all worried about his future. However I still feel as strongly as ever about trying to trade Hader. Even more so if we're seeing another payroll cut (And we probbaly are, across baseball. Owners are probably unhappy about making a loss for the first time ever...) it makes even more sense to trade your $6m-7m reliever. While trading him will make the 'pen weaker, of course, the bullpen is still both a current area of strength, as well as one area where there's both players in the pipeline as well as an area where the front office has shown they can find players cheaply (Ironically it's the more expensive signings in the bullpen that have failed). And short of Woodruff, Burnes, Yelich (Who should all be as close to untouchable as players get) he will also get the biggest return. We need hitters who can hit. And the FA market this year isn't looking great. Hopefully we can find out Max Muncy or Justin Turner or Yaz or Urshela or indeed Aguilar from "nothing", but can't rely on that and obviously won't know if we've found it or not until way into the season.

A MLB-ready infield bat (Doesn't need to be a super-high upside star, just simply a good hitter) with 5+ years of team control, a good high-upside prospect not miles away from MLB (Like A+/AA), and whatever else is needed to make it work, probably some lower level prospects with upside. If it's a team looking to revamp it's bullpen I'd be open to looking to add another reliever (Not Williams. And iffy about a few others. But generally open to it) to the package if it gets a better return.

To be fair, Hader never should have been allowed to walk 5 guys in one inning. That was on one person, and one person only, and it isn't Josh Hader.

That being said, I'm on the trade Hader train if the offer is right. We need a big bat corner infielder so badly... Yet, when we trade him, it will probably include an outfielder, and a couple of pitchers.

I would never turn down blue chip pitchers, but we just have to have that big bat infielder so we can stop piecing together these re-treads and never were types...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Considering that Gavin Lux has a hard time cracking the Dodgers lineup (or 28-man roster) and he had an awful Covid season, maybe he would be a piece they would move?

Lux did make the Dodgers’ NLDS roster, sort of curious to see how much he plays in this series. I still think the Dodgers hold onto him long-term, but he did struggle in a limited sample this season (69 plate appearances).

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Lux did make the Dodgers’ NLDS roster, sort of curious to see how much he plays in this series. I still think the Dodgers hold onto him long-term, but he did struggle in a limited sample this season (69 plate appearances).

Just because the Dodgers have lots of young position players, doesn't mean they are a potential landing spot for Hader. Jansen is entrenched as the closer and has a 21 million dollar contract for 2021. Graterol is the heir apparent and is pre-arbitration eligible. Dylan Floro and Caleb Ferguson are relief pitchers for the Dodgers who remain under team control for multiple seasons. Victor Gonzalez was a rookie out of the Dodger pen with great numbers.

With the talent they have in the bullpen there is no reason for them to give up a player like Gavin Lux. Hader will not make that much of an improvement to an already strong bullpen to warrant giving up hitters they have earmarked to step in for players like Kiki Hernandez when they reach free agency.

Just because the Dodgers have lots of young position players, doesn't mean they are a potential landing spot for Hader. Jansen is entrenched as the closer and has a 21 million dollar contract for 2021. Graterol is the heir apparent and is pre-arbitration eligible. Dylan Floro and Caleb Ferguson are relief pitchers for the Dodgers who remain under team control for multiple seasons. Victor Gonzalez was a rookie out of the Dodger pen with great numbers.

With the talent they have in the bullpen there is no reason for them to give up a player like Gavin Lux. Hader will not make that much of an improvement to an already strong bullpen to warrant giving up hitters they have earmarked to step in for players like Kiki Hernandez when they reach free agency.

I hear what you are saying here. But, I guess that's why I'm hoping that LA misses another shot at a championship this year, which will only motivate them even more this winter to build around this current core. Let's face it - they NEED to get a ring soon here with this group of players. If Jansen stumbles this postseason and blows some late leads, that can only be a good thing for us.

I doubt that we could get Lux from them (even after his small-sample struggles this summer), but I do still think we could match up with the Dodgers well. I'd be all on board for a Gonsolin OR Gray, Edwin Rios and Migueal Vargas type package for Hader. Or, if they want to hold onto their pitching, how about a Ruiz, Rios and Vargas package? In the first scenario, we'd get a guy that we could probably slot into our MLB rotation right away, a guy that can play another position of need right away at 1B, along with a good looking 3B prospect. In the second option, you are just subbing in a MLB ready catcher that could come in immediately and platoon with Narvaez at that position. Dodgers would be trading from positions of organizational depth, and the Brewers would be sending one of the best relievers in baseball to a Dodgers team that might have a big need if Jansen falters this postseason.

At this point

Audujar and Garcia for Hader

I can't get on board with Andujar. He only makes sense if 1)the DH stays in the NL long-term, and 2)if the Brewers didn't already have two/three DH candidates on the expected 2021 roster.

Obviously, we're not sure yet what they'll do with Vogelbach and Braun, but Hiura is headed to the DH role at some point....

Are the Angels a possibility for Hader?

New GM coming in looking to make a "splash"

Surrounding cast to fill in around Trout

Angles led the league in blown saves this season

And if it is an option, is there anyway to get David Fletcher in the deal. Obviously he is behind Rendon at 3rd base, but assuming he will move permanently to shortstop with Andrelton Simmons a free agent. BUT, if we can figure a way to include him in a Hader deal it adds a leadoff hitter that is coming into his prime years (26 years old), that doesn't strike out often, and is cost-controlled (not arby eligible until 2022)

Is there anyway to make a match?

Are the Angels a possibility for Hader?

New GM coming in looking to make a "splash"

Surrounding cast to fill in around Trout

Angles led the league in blown saves this season

And if it is an option, is there anyway to get David Fletcher in the deal. Obviously he is behind Rendon at 3rd base, but assuming he will move permanently to shortstop with Andrelton Simmons a free agent. BUT, if we can figure a way to include him in a Hader deal it adds a leadoff hitter that is coming into his prime years (26 years old), that doesn't strike out often, and is cost-controlled (not arby eligible until 2022)

Is there anyway to make a match?

Angels aren't letting Fletcher go for anything unless they are overwhelmed with a deal that includes an MLB ready SS. Hadar wouldn't be close to the deal they would be looking for. Too many other holes to fill and Fletcher isn't even eligible for arby until after the 2021 season. Simmons is gone and Fletcher steps right in at SS for them.

Yeah, I think it's safe to say that the Angels are always a wildcard team. Seems like every year they are making a big offseason signing (or two) and it just hasn't resulted in more wins. New GM, so maybe he would want to make a splash and go get one of the top relievers in baseball to help fix their bullpen issues.

I guess my biggest question would be: how do they match up though? No way we are getting Jo Adell in a package back. I like Fletcher being a piece coming back, but are they really motivated to move a guy like him that has multiple years of control? And, wouldn't Fletcher slot into the 2B role that LaStella has filled in recent years? Looking at their top prospects, I'm not sure if I'm seeing much after Adell that would really pique my interest that much. But, maybe someone knows more about those guys than me?

Yeah, I think it's safe to say that the Angels are always a wildcard team. Seems like every year they are making a big offseason signing (or two) and it just hasn't resulted in more wins. New GM, so maybe he would want to make a splash and go get one of the top relievers in baseball to help fix their bullpen issues.

I guess my biggest question would be: how do they match up though? No way we are getting Jo Adell in a package back. I like Fletcher being a piece coming back, but are they really motivated to move a guy like him that has multiple years of control? And, wouldn't Fletcher slot into the 2B role that LaStella has filled in recent years? Looking at their top prospects, I'm not sure if I'm seeing much after Adell that would really pique my interest that much. But, maybe someone knows more about those guys than me?

Brandon Marsh is the exact type of player that David Stearns covets. Tall, powerful, left-handed hitter who is a solid defender in CF or the corners. He's a very exciting prospect. I think any potential Hader deal has to start with him.

Archived