Brewer Fanatic

Hader trade ideas

Gonzo75
We most likely missed the boat when it comes to trading Hader at a high value. Last offseason was the time to do it and it just didn't happen for whatever reason. We are better off keeping him than accepting a package of mediocre talent.

This isn't close to being correct. Not even a little bit.

Which part was incorrect. Hader was at his highest value last offseason when he was considered to be the best reliever in baseball and he came with an extra year of control. The last thing I want to see is him moved in a deal like Cleveland took for Clevenger which was quantity over quality.

I would rather just keep Hader and hope we can get a dominant version of him going forward than accept a package without any headline prospects. Yes we are in deperate need of young position player talent but that talent needs to be top notch and not a package of mediocre players.

Up to Hader's previous 3 games pitched, you had better believe he had the Dominant RP tied next to him. He's had 2 bad pitching outings out of 17. He didn't give up a run in his first 9 outings, a hit in his first 12 outings! He is still supremely valuable. Did the Brewers miss out on his highest value? Yes of course but considering honestly that value should have been a Lux top 10 type prospect. Or at least a mix of two top 35 prospects, plus. Now, the team should at least be looking at a top 35 plus, plus. He'll be dealt this offseason I'm sure of it. If MLB intends to make it 16team playoffs, they just added teams that should vie for Hader this offseason. Like literally 25 of them vs maybe 12 of them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not flashy, but how about this?

Dodgers: Hader

Get their lock down Closer for 2 guys that are luxuries for them. Gonsolin is replaced by FA or Prospect and Rios is redundant with Bellinger/Turner (assuming he resigns).

Brewers: Tony Gonsolin, Edwin Rios, & Michael Busch

Brewers get a 1-2-3 top of the rotation with Woody/Burnes/Gonsolin for the next 4 years. Rios steps right in at 1B with 5 years of control. Busch is a big time bat that could develop at 3B, 2B, or 1B.

C:Narvaez/Nottingham

1B: Rios

2B: Hiura

SS: Arcia

3B: Urias/Gyorko

LF: Yelich

CF: Cain

RF: Garcia

DH: Vogelbach

SP: Woodruff/Burnes/Gonsolin/Lauer/Lindblom

RP: Williams/Peralta/Knebel/Houser/Suter/Rassmussen/Yardley/Topa

Get their lock down Closer for 2 guys that are luxuries for them. Gonsolin is replaced by FA or Prospect and Rios is redundant with Bellinger/Turner (assuming he resigns).

Brewers get a 1-2-3 top of the rotation with Woody/Burnes/Gonsolin for the next 4 years. Rios steps right in at 1B with 5 years of control. Busch is a big time bat that could develop at 3B, 2B, or 1B.

A year ago I probably would have scoffed at this proposal, but honestly - I'd sign up for this type of package now as I just don't think we are going to get that huge prospect haul like we all hoped we would get. In fact, a package of Gonsolin, Rios and Busch might get laughed at by the Dodgers front office, as they may not even want to give up that much for a reliever (even one that's been as good as Hader). I think we have to hope that Josh has a great series this week against the Dodgers, just to remind them of how good he can be. Then, I think we have to hope the Dodgers blow another opportunity to win it all over the next month - with their pen showing it's warts. If those things happen, maybe we could get them to do a deal like this?

A year ago I probably would have scoffed at this proposal, but honestly - I'd sign up for this type of package now as I just don't think we are going to get that huge prospect haul like we all hoped we would get. In fact, a package of Gonsolin, Rios and Busch might get laughed at by the Dodgers front office, as they may not even want to give up that much for a reliever (even one that's been as good as Hader). I think we have to hope that Josh has a great series this week against the Dodgers, just to remind them of how good he can be. Then, I think we have to hope the Dodgers blow another opportunity to win it all over the next month - with their pen showing it's warts. If those things happen, maybe we could get them to do a deal like this?

I just hope we are in position to have to use Hader against the Dodgers this week...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I'm sure they've probably been discussed quite a bit in the first 63 pages of this thread - but I'm going to bring them up again. The Phillies have got to be desperate for bullpen help this winter after they saw another playoff opportunity get completely blown up by their terrible bullpen. So, my question for everyone here is: what would you need from them in a Hader deal?

Personally, the only guy in their system that I really love is Alec Bohm, and my guess is that he might be untouchable now after his great rookie year this year. Most of their other prospects seem 2-3 years away, and I just don't think DS is going to move Hader for a bunch of young prospects. I think he's going to want multiple guys that can help right away (or soon) like the one suggested above from the Dodgers.

With that said though - I'd have to think the Phillies would be desperate this offseason to get a guy like Hader on their roster.

I'm sure they've probably been discussed quite a bit in the first 63 pages of this thread - but I'm going to bring them up again. The Phillies have got to be desperate for bullpen help this winter after they saw another playoff opportunity get completely blown up by their terrible bullpen. So, my question for everyone here is: what would you need from them in a Hader deal?

Personally, the only guy in their system that I really love is Alec Bohm, and my guess is that he might be untouchable now after his great rookie year this year. Most of their other prospects seem 2-3 years away, and I just don't think DS is going to move Hader for a bunch of young prospects. I think he's going to want multiple guys that can help right away (or soon) like the one suggested above from the Dodgers.

With that said though - I'd have to think the Phillies would be desperate this offseason to get a guy like Hader on their roster.

The Phillies have all kinds of money, and they can easily go out and buy Justin Turner to man 3B for them. That would theoretically free up Alec Bohm in a deal for Hader.

How about to the Angels for R.Deitmers, J.Adams, J.Jackson and K.Paris.. Stearns gets to do his usual up the middle approach with a good young pitcher and the Angels get more help for Trout at a reasonable cost

While all four of those players are highly thought-of prospects, I can't see Stearns dealing Hader for a slew of prospects who are all basically in rookie ball. I could definitely see a package built around Brandon Marsh, though, as he's the exact type of toolsy, athletic LHH bat/strong defender that Stearns seems to love. Plus he's much closer to major league-ready ... perhaps even in 2021.

If the Twins lose again in the first round, I could see them getting desperate and pulling off a big move in the offseason for Hader. And has already been mentioned numerous times, the Twins match up well in a trade(Kirilloff as the centerpiece).

Yep - the two teams that I really would like to deal Hader to would be the White Sox or Twins, as I think both teams match up great with good talent (that is close to the Majors) at positions of need. Would love to get Kirilloff back as a centerpiece from Twins and likewise with Vaughn from the Sox. Let's hope that both of those two teams get bounced early this week from the playoffs, and that might help motivate them to put together a good package for Hader this winter.

If the Twins lose again in the first round, I could see them getting desperate and pulling off a big move in the offseason for Hader. And has already been mentioned numerous times, the Twins match up well in a trade(Kirilloff as the centerpiece).

Yep - the two teams that I really would like to deal Hader to would be the White Sox or Twins, as I think both teams match up great with good talent (that is close to the Majors) at positions of need. Would love to get Kirilloff back as a centerpiece from Twins and likewise with Vaughn from the Sox. Let's hope that both of those two teams get bounced early this week from the playoffs, and that might help motivate them to put together a good package for Hader this winter.

I see that the Twins gave up 3 runs in the 9th yesterday in game 1, but I didn't see how it happened. Looks like an error might have been involved that allowed all of those runs to score? If so...damn. Was hoping for a pen meltdown!

Gonsolin seems like the exact pitcher the Brewers would target. A stater with a mid 90's fastball and a high spin rate...and he's proven he can be an effective starter. If I'm the Dodgers, I don't know that I'd trade him for a reliever, but that has been the one area they're not totally dominant, so if they'd do it, I'd definitely make that deal. And then I'd bring Knebel back. He looked like he was starting to regain his form later in the year. Maybe we work out an incentive laden deal and give him the first chance to win the closers job. I'm not sure how much we'd lose from Knebel to Hader(particularly if the prior is back to pitching like he has). But we'd have 3 power pitchers in our rotation. And if you can add a couple of guys who can become good hitters...

Not sure I'd do this is I were the Dodgers...give up a young pitcher who's pitched well, but if they can't win this year...maybe they're desperate enough.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Gonsolin seems like the exact pitcher the Brewers would target. A stater with a mid 90's fastball and a high spin rate...and he's proven he can be an effective starter. If I'm the Dodgers, I don't know that I'd trade him for a reliever, but that has been the one area they're not totally dominant, so if they'd do it, I'd definitely make that deal. And then I'd bring Knebel back. He looked like he was starting to regain his form later in the year. Maybe we work out an incentive laden deal and give him the first chance to win the closers job. I'm not sure how much we'd lose from Knebel to Hader(particularly if the prior is back to pitching like he has). But we'd have 3 power pitchers in our rotation. And if you can add a couple of guys who can become good hitters...

Not sure I'd do this is I were the Dodgers...give up a young pitcher who's pitched well, but if they can't win this year...maybe they're desperate enough.

Yeah, I think our only hope here is if the Dodgers blow another chance this year to win it all, and Kenley Jansen is a big reason why they don't get the job done. Maybe then they'll be desperate enough to go out and make a trade for Hader this winter.

It would appear that the Dodgers have an embarrassment of riches in the starting pitching department, so at least it would be a position of depth for them to trade from if they did decide to part ways with Gonsolin. They'll still have Kershaw, Buehler, Price, May, Urias, Graterol, and Josiah Gray knocking on the door next year. Or, if they are unwilling to give up Gonsolin, maybe we ask for Gray instead? Gray, Rios and Busch for Hader? Too much to ask for?

I saw today on MLB Trade Rumors that Seattle/Dipoto hopes to add several relievers this offseason. Seattle has more than enough young talent to entice a trade from the Brewers/Stearns. These two have made deals before so there is some history. What say all of you?

I saw today on MLB Trade Rumors that Seattle/Dipoto hopes to add several relievers this offseason. Seattle has more than enough young talent to entice a trade from the Brewers/Stearns. These two have made deals before so there is some history. What say all of you?

If it means bringing Jarred Kelenic home, I'm down.

So what does a Hader trade look like with Seattle? They have 6 guys in MLB's top 100. Kelenic, Rodriguez, Hancock, Gilbert, Trammell and Kirby. That includes 3 pitchers and 3 OF's. Plus some highly rated guys below that including Noelvi Marte. How many of those can you get in a Hader trade?

Mariners adding 3 or 4 relievers means they add them on 1, 1+1 or 2 year deals and then trade them in the summer if they're performing well. Hader makes less than zero sense for them and isn't going to happen.

Mariners adding 3 or 4 relievers means they add them on 1, 1+1 or 2 year deals and then trade them in the summer if they're performing well. Hader makes less than zero sense for them and isn't going to happen.

Right, they make a lot more sense for a Knebel should the Brewers decline to offer and not reach a compromise.

Hader's market is suppressed because he only has value for teams that think they're a dominant reliever away. That's not Seattle(though they have done dumber things).

I haven't followed this thread that closely, but I wonder if Tampa would be a team that may be interested? Obviously it wouldn't be the type of move they'd normally make, but if they fall short...they have a great farm system and Hader's still not going to be cheap enough for them.

Hader for Baz, Josh Lowe and Taylor Walls?

Haven't seen them mentioned, but it adds a high upside arm, a power bat without a definitive position and a young SS. The 86th ranked prospect and the Rays 5th, 10th and 17th ranked players.

The Rays probably wouldn't be interested, but maybe this is there "all in" type move....

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Considering that Gavin Lux has a hard time cracking the Dodgers lineup (or 28-man roster) and he had an awful Covid season, maybe he would be a piece they would move?
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Right, they make a lot more sense for a Knebel should the Brewers decline to offer and not reach a compromise.

I can't imagine Stearns trading Hadar w/o getting somebody that will definately help in 2021. Their offense was horrible and with no answer in the minors, I think he goes after immediate help along with minor lg. help.

Hader's market is suppressed because he only has value for teams that think they're a dominant reliever away. That's not Seattle(though they have done dumber things).

I haven't followed this thread that closely, but I wonder if Tampa would be a team that may be interested? Obviously it wouldn't be the type of move they'd normally make, but if they fall short...they have a great farm system and Hader's still not going to be cheap enough for them.

Hader for Baz, Josh Lowe and Taylor Walls?

Haven't seen them mentioned, but it adds a high upside arm, a power bat without a definitive position and a young SS. The 86th ranked prospect and the Rays 5th, 10th and 17th ranked players.

The Rays probably wouldn't be interested, but maybe this is there "all in" type move....

I know it's probably too early to do this exercise, but what teams do we think might be in play for a Hader trade this offseason? I'll start, but feel free to add others that you think might be motivated to make a deal for one of the best closers in baseball:

Phillies: this is a no brainer, as their pen has been a big reason why they continue to miss the playoffs - despite a huge payroll and Bryce Harper in his prime. The problem here is - I don't know if we match up well with them? I'd want Bohm in any package coming back, and I doubt they'd part with him now.

Dodgers (maybe?): If LA fails to win a title this month, and their pen fails them - then I think they might get desperate enough to add a weapon like Hader. Plenty of young bats and arms that would be appealing to the Crew.

Twins: Seems like it was more of the bats that failed them this year against the Astros, but they also seem to lack real difference makers in their bullpen. They also have to be extremely desperate to end that playoff losing streak next year, so maybe they get motivated enough to make a trade for Hader? Plenty of young bats/arms in their system that should be appealing to DS.

White Sox: a young team that might be 1-2 players away from being a title contender next year. Looks like Colome is a F/A this winter if I'm seeing it correctly, and that Crochet kid that they brought up a week or two ago went down with forearm tightness in their final game yesterday. We know that their system is still pretty loaded with good bats and arms, so this might be a team that would match up really well for a Hader trade?

What other teams am I missing that would be both motivated (1-2 players away and needing pen help), and have the young talent we would probably want in a return?

Archived