Brewer Fanatic

Hader trade ideas

Gonzo75
[quote name="sveumrules"

Which games would you have used him in that the Brewers didn't?

The first one that immediately comes to mind is the last one in Pit' date=' when he was warm and a lefty was up with a one-run lead in the 8th and a runner on with 2 outs. If that isn’t a spot to use your dominant LHP, I don’t know when is[/quote]

Counsell made two mistakes in that inning. The first was bringing in Phelps instead of Williams. I know Phelps had been sharp, but he's the definition of a journeyman and Williams is the closer of the future with electric stuff including a changeup that he can neutralize LH batters with. But I totally agree Hader should have been brought in to face Polanco who's got a history of big hits against the Brewers. Especially to break a losing streak.

Counsell has given Phelps a big role based on a couple early gutsy performances, but his track record doesn't scream lock down 8th inning guy much less a guy you can count on to close should you deal Hader.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see that Pomeranz just went on the DL with a shoulder strain. Not sure how serious, but the fact that it's a shoulder has to be at least a little worrisome for them, right? And, what's the status of Kirby Yates? I see he's on the DL too right now.

Not sure how desperate the Pads would be to make a deal, but it appears that Yates is a F/A at the end of this season - so maybe they would want to add a controllable closer to the mix - so that they can make a serious run here with their young roster over the next few seasons?

My biggest concern with making a deal with the Padres is that I'm not in love with their positional player prospects. They seem to be heavy on pitching prospects right now, and while every team could always use pitching - I would love to get at least one high end bat if we are trading Hader right now.

$2.69/lb seems like a really good deal for one of if not the best active relief pitcher in all of baseball.

Where the heck are you getting your bananas? They're $0.39/lb at Kwik Trip!

Hah yeah I wish they were that price here. I wish I were exaggerating, but that's the price. Here's the weekly flyer on the hot deals, in case you're interested. These are actually some pretty decent specials this week. https://www.alaskacommercial.com/flyers

I throw out a deal:

Hader to Chicago White Sox for Andrew Vaughn and Garrett Crochet

Vaughn immediately becomes your top prospect and will help with the dearth of high impact bats. And Crochet is a top 10 pick with upside. I really liked him and was hoping he’d fall to Milwaukee this past draft.

White Sox bullpen has been a strength. They aren't desperate and even if they were, they're not dealing any of Moncada, Jimenez, or Robert and that's what the Brewers would want for Hader.

Three years of control for guy who has been awarded top RP in 18, 19, and soon 20? If any team gets desperate and bites that bullet.... it is really going to hurt. You want elite plus a lot of control, you are going to have to offer the biggest package for RP to date.

Padres.... pull that trigger & hand over LHP Gore (1), C Campusano (4), LHP Weathers (9), and OF Head (15). Won’t happen but still has to be deal that blows you away.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
How about Hader to the Mariners for L.Gilbert,N.Marte,C.Raleigh and A.shenton

or

to the Padres for L.Patino,L.Campusano,T.Trammel and G.Arias

Seattle isn't a playoff contender, so adding Hader makes little sense for them.

Padres are a different story.

In normal times, Patino and either Campusano or Trammel is probably favorable - for us - trade package right there. Maybe even get another player like Arias. But with our leverage, perhaps you can squeeze all three out of them out of the Padres. I'm guessing no - but it can't hurt to try.

To me, Patino and Campusano would be great, and then add in a couple of other guys with some upside. Aim for high upside guys in the lower minors who aren't on the prospect lists. That's where you can find some gems (or rocks).

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I never really thought through the seattle... I was under the impression that the only players teams are able to trade are on the 60 man expanded mlb roster?

I think you're right about the 60 man roster thing. Not something we usually have to think about.

They aren't desperate and even if they were, they're not dealing any of Moncada, Jimenez, or Robert and that's what the Brewers would want for Hader

Why wouldn’t the Brewers want Vaughn? He’s a top 20 overall prospect, former top 5 pick and plays a position the Brewers really need help at. He should advance fairly quickly through the minors.

And Crochet is a high ceiling lefty who could top off as a #2.

If the Brewers are trading Hader they’d be fools to only look for immediate help in return.

They aren't desperate and even if they were, they're not dealing any of Moncada, Jimenez, or Robert and that's what the Brewers would want for Hader

Why wouldn’t the Brewers want Vaughn? He’s a top 20 overall prospect, former top 5 pick and plays a position the Brewers really need help at. He should advance fairly quickly through the minors.

And Crochet is a high ceiling lefty who could top off as a #2.

If the Brewers are trading Hader they’d be fools to only look for immediate help in return.

I don't think Crochet can be dealt. I think a White Sox deal would more likely be Vaughn; one of Dunning, Stiever, Thompson or Dalquist; and a couple flyers like perhaps Bailey as a PTBNL. Not sure that either side would go for it, but that seems like the most likely combination.

Which games would you have used him in that the Brewers didn't?

The first one that immediately comes to mind is the last one in Pit, when he was warm and a lefty was up with a one-run lead in the 8th and a runner on with 2 outs. If that isn’t a spot to use your dominant LHP, I don’t know when is

So the difference between too dumb to actually use him & being ok with his usage is one game?

Our bullpen has lost four games in addition to the one that immediately comes to mind. They were...

July 28: Hader pitched day before. 6-2 lead entering 7th before Suter/Knebel gave up 4 for the tie & Wahl gave up 2 for the loss in the 8th. Hader also ended up saving the next day's game.

August 3: Up 4-2 entering the 7th before Burnes gave up the tying bomb to Abreu with Phelps picking up the loss next inning.

August 4: Tied 2-2 entering 7th before Williams picked up the loss on another Abreu RBI. Hader also ended up saving the following game.

August 18: Extra inning loss with Hader pitching a clean 10th.

So in four of our bullpen's five losses Hader either pitched or picked up a save the following day, two saves in a row in the most recent case.

Could Josh maybe have 10 or 11 innings now instead of 9? Sure, I guess. Would our record be any different? I don't think so.

The Polanco homer game alone is an example of the Brewers having more wins if Hader is used. And the most important times are when to use your best reliever-it doesn’t have to be the 9th inning

The Polanco homer game alone is an example of the Brewers having more wins if Hader is used. And the most important times are when to use your best reliever-it doesn’t have to be the 9th inning

It's definitely an example of them maybe having an additional win, if you assume Hader will never give up any runs.

There's no guarantee he gets out Polanco (better odds than Phelps with the hindsight of knowing what happened, obviously) or that he subsequently gets through the ninth clean.

Even if he does all that, there's no guarantee the Brewers use him three days in a row to pick up the save yesterday.

Maybe they do & he gives up a run because he's pitched three days in a row. Maybe they decide not to use him three days in a row & somene else coughs it up.

Or maybe not on all those things & we'd have one more win. Guess we'll never know for sure.

On the other hand, there are theories out there that with infinite space & time & whatnot that every single possible scenario gets lived out eventually so maybe we will find out one day, or maybe it already happened before but that iteration was so long ago we've all since forgotten about it, wrapped up as we are in the right now.

This is a pretty interesting concept for a proposed deal on MLB Network this morning. Lewis is currently #10 in the MLB top 100, and is a legit stud prospect. The Brewers could probably slide him over to 3B, and be set there with a high-end defender and very solid offensive contributor for the next decade. Jeffers is known as a very good pitch framer with a developing power bat. Rooker could possible solve the 1B issue.

2zEjwwI.jpg?1

This is a pretty interesting concept for a proposed deal on MLB Network this morning. Lewis is currently #10 in the MLB top 100, and is a legit stud prospect. The Brewers could probably slide him over to 3B, and be set there with a high-end defender and very solid offensive contributor for the next decade. Jeffers is known as a very good pitch framer with a developing power bat. Rooker could possible solve the 1B issue.

2zEjwwI.jpg?1

I’m personally interested in that trade, but I’m not sure how the Twins would feel about that.

That is a very interesting trade, but it might even be a tad light in my opinion. I do think it’s pretty close and maybe it’s just my opinion on not being as high on Lewis as others might be which is why I see it the way I do.

Here I attached the value of the trade according to the MLB Simulator of the proposed trade today on MLB Network and below I will show the value of the trade I proposed a few days ago.

I just don’t know if that MLB Network one is enough. Give me their top 2 (Lewis/Kirilloff) plus a higher upside arm lower on their list like Edwar Colina and we have a deal. Hader has 3 years of control. He’s the best reliever in baseball. We better be getting as sure of things as there is.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Archived