Brewer Fanatic

Hader trade ideas

Gonzo75

I don't think Hader is going anywhere. There's been some disccussion about his limited usage this year so far but it mostly just comes down to the opportunity hasn't really been there.

My best guess is Stearns & company would prefer to use him in more of a multi inning fireman role, since that is more valuable than a 9th inning only closer, but...

(A) we don't have that other elite reliever like Jeffress or Knebel in the past to free Josh up for the fireman role & (B) since multi inning appearances typically result in more rest/unavailability maybe the team is using Hader in more of a 9th inning only role this year so he's available for as many games as possible in a shortened season.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
If Williams small sample is the real deal then trading Hader is more palatable to me. He's not a free agent until 2024 so there's no rush to do anything though. Knebel is a guy they'll probably trade at some point. He's a free agent in 2022.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

It is somewhat worth noting that two (?) of the Brewers' losses thus far have been the result of not holding a lead in the 7th-ish inning, despite all the woes associated with the offense. I think we're having a different conversation about the season at a 9-6 record vs. 7-8.

I'm not convinced they'll move any pieces, especially this year, but they may have to make some choices in the winter to position us better going forward.

Agreed. I don't think anything happens until the winter.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I think Hader still gets two top ten prospects (with one being a MLB ready pitcher) plus a lottery ticket or two.

Braves- Drew Waters OF and Bryce Wilson P (Pache?)

Dodgers- Tony Gonsolin P and Kody Haese 3B (I'd ask for Lux)

Padres- Taylor Trammell OF and Michael Baez P (Loaded farm system)

Indians- Danny Espino P and George Valera IF

A's- AJ Puk P and Sheldon Nuese 3B (I really like this trade)

Yahnkees- Devi Garcia P and Estavan Florial OF

White Sox- Andrew Vaughn 1B and Dane Duenes P

Twins- Alex Kirilloff 1B/OF and Jhoan Dura P

Thanks for putting these together. I like your proposals with the Twins, A’s, and White Sox the most. I’d try to get more than that from the Dodgers. Would totally pass on the Yankees.

Let’s just pretend for a moment this trade was on the table.

50220720286_20c188e619_c_d.jpg

Curious if others would be willing to trade Hader for Josh Bell (under control through 2022 season) and 3B prospect Ke’Bryan Hayes?

Why this might be enticing for the Pirates: 1) they are habitually cheap and Bell is about to hit arbitration; 2) Alex Kirilloff is a Pittsburgh native and projected to become a middle of the order hitter. Enlow was a $2 million signing out of the draft 2017 and has the upside of a solid starter.

Spoiler: I don’t think the Pirates would make this trade, but curious if others here would be for it.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

I guess it depends on what you expect out of Bell. If he is the 750-800 OPS player of pre-2019, then we have that in Smoak. If you expect more of 2019, then it seems like a fair deal.

Of course, if Bell doesn't have to face Woodruff anymore, his numbers will improve. :)

Let’s just pretend for a moment this trade was on the table.

50220720286_20c188e619_c_d.jpg

Curious if others would be willing to trade Hader for Josh Bell (under control through 2022 season) and 3B prospect Ke’Bryan Hayes?

Why this might be enticing for the Pirates: 1) they are habitually cheap and Bell is about to hit arbitration; 2) Alex Kirilloff is a Pittsburgh native and projected to become a middle of the order hitter. Enlow was a $2 million signing out of the draft 2017 and has the upside of a solid starter.

Spoiler: I don’t think the Pirates would make this trade, but curious if others here would be for it.

I am not happy with our future at either first or third. A solution looks difficult. I think using Hader to solve 1st and/or 3rd is screaming out as the solution. I like Hader but more in his weapon role not as a closer. We have several good emerging options for the pen. No, none will be Hader but we can still have a good pen. Devin Williams, Drew Rasmussen, Angel Perdomo. I think Phil Bickford can be a big factor too if we stick with him. I’d like to see Peralta and Burnes in the rotation in due time.

Your Pirates move is interesting. Hayes is highly regarded. I was hoping we would draft him and I believe he was attached to us in some pre-draft activity at the time. If we think we could sign Bell for a reasonable deal (maybe Cain money), I’d be intrigued there. Then you have got first and third done once and for all.

But, to be honest, I’m intrigued by the Twins prospects too and am more on that track. I liked Duran as Blue Devil suggested above but Enlow is a solid prospect too. Love Kiriloff’s hit tool. If he meets expectations, it would tremendously help this lineup and I love the youth.

I really hope we are on the right track with the thesis here. I like Hader but management has totally lost track of 1st and 3rd. We should not give him away, which we won’t. We will need a haul. Add Kiriloff and Garrett Mitchell to Yelich, Hiura, and hopefully an emerging Urias, and we could get a nice core going. I like our pitching potential already.

I am not happy with our future at either first or third. A solution looks difficult. I think using Hader to solve 1st and/or 3rd is screaming out as the solution. I like Hader but more in his weapon role not as a closer. We have several good emerging options for the pen. No, none will be Hader but we can still have a good pen. Devin Williams, Drew Rasmussen, Angel Perdomo. I think Phil Bickford can be a big factor too if we stick with him. I’d like to see Peralta and Burnes in the rotation in due time.

Your Pirates move is interesting. Hayes is highly regarded. I was hoping we would draft him and I believe he was attached to us in some pre-draft activity at the time. If we think we could sign Bell for a reasonable deal (maybe Cain money), I’d be intrigued there. Then you have got first and third done once and for all.

But, to be honest, I’m intrigued by the Twins prospects too and am more on that track. I liked Duran as Blue Devil suggested above but Enlow is a solid prospect too. Love Kiriloff’s hit tool. If he meets expectations, it would tremendously help this lineup and I love the youth.

I really hope we are on the right track with the thesis here. I like Hader but management has totally lost track of 1st and 3rd. We should not give him away, which we won’t. We will need a haul. Add Kiriloff and Garrett Mitchell to Yelich, Hiura, and hopefully an emerging Urias, and we could get a nice core going. I like our pitching potential already.

I agree with you that I actually think Kirilloff is the best future player involved in that trade, and is likely to have the flexibility to fill both a corner OF position as well as 1B for the foreseeable future. Kirilloff is undoubtedly the bat I would really want to acquire for Hader.

Another possible 1B/3B solution for Hader is possibly Nolan Jones and Jake Bauers from the Indians, but I have my doubts if they are really in a go for it position. Next year is Lindor’s last under contract, but I think it is just as likely the Indians take a step back for a season by making some “for the future“ type trades as it is they go all in with trades such as acquiring Hader.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

How about this trade proposal? Colorado is on fire this year but they don't have a consistent lockdown closer.

RP Josh Hader

for

CF David Dahl

1B Michael Toglia (low-A)

I think Dahl is a perpetual breakout candidate who the Rockies never seem to fully commit to, whereas Toglia is one of more appealing 1B prospects to me even if he is at least a couple years away. There will be no shortage of playing time for Yelich/Cain/Garcia/Dahl/Gamel if the NL keeps the DH going into next season. Here's the most recent Fangraphs breakdown on Toglia:

Toglia had a poor Cape statline and then came out of the gate very slowly during his junior year. He was hitting .207 when PAC-12 play began and his draft stock had taken a plunge but for whatever reason, he started raking during conference play. By the end of the year, he was hitting .315 and had reached base in 29 straight games. Toglia has a rare combination of traits and skills. He’s a switch-hitting first baseman with power who is also a plus defender, which puts him in a small, 21st century team picture with Lance Berkman, Mark Teixeira, and Carlos Santana. That’s an intriguing group. We think teams hopped off of Toglia too quickly because of bad early-season looks and that he might be poised for a breakout 2020.

What about this?

Brewers

Chavis

Dalbec

Red Sox

Contreras

Davidson

Toussaint

Braves

Hader

It didnt pass trade simulator on baseball trade values

Minor overpay

Although one side of this trade is giving up a little too much, there is still a high probability it would be accepted if each team’s needs are met.

Brewers get:

Name Position MTV ($Ms)

Chavis 1B 19.5

Dalbec 3B 19.7

Red Sox get:

Name Position MTV ($Ms)

Contreras C 20.6

Davidson LHP 13.7

Toussaint SP 8

Braves get:

Name Position MTV ($Ms)

Hader LHRP 41.3

I think Hader still gets two top ten prospects (with one being a MLB ready pitcher) plus a lottery ticket or two.

Braves- Drew Waters OF and Bryce Wilson P (Pache?)

Dodgers- Tony Gonsolin P and Kody Haese 3B (I'd ask for Lux)

Padres- Taylor Trammell OF and Michael Baez P (Loaded farm system)

Indians- Danny Espino P and George Valera IF

A's- AJ Puk P and Sheldon Nuese 3B (I really like this trade)

Yahnkees- Devi Garcia P and Estavan Florial OF

White Sox- Andrew Vaughn 1B and Dane Duenes P

Twins- Alex Kirilloff 1B/OF and Jhoan Dura P

From Tribe perspective: no chance..

Espino & Valera represent main pieces to the team as early as 2022 when club transitions from Lindor/ Clevinger/ & others (Carlos Santana & Brad Hand have options fro 2021)...

Someone else brought up Nolan Jones as a trade target in a package for Hader...

I can see the interest but don't get fooled into thinking Jones is blocked by JRam.. Many moving pieces that could result Jones in CLE this year of next:

Cesar H not retained ..... JRam to 2B, Jones at 3B

CSantana option not picked up & he departs ..... JRam remains at 3B, Jones/ Jake Bauers/ Bobby Bradley fight it out for 1B

OF continues to be hockey line changes ..... Jones follows Lonnie Chisenhall path out to corner OF to hopefully lock a spot

I wonder if MLB GM's use the trade simulator? lol

With the millions of dollars they have invested in scouts, employees, research, and other resources to help them make decisions, I certainly hope not. But for those of us sitting on a couch talking baseball out our backsides, it's probably a pretty reasonable tool considering our very limited time and access to knowledge on the subject.

I wonder if MLB GM's use the trade simulator? lol

With the millions of dollars they have invested in scouts, employees, research, and other resources to help them make decisions, I certainly hope not. But for those of us sitting on a couch talking baseball out our backsides, it's probably a pretty reasonable tool considering our very limited time and access to knowledge on the subject.

Given the preponderance of analytics it would surprise me if they didn't have some kind of valuation tool like the points thing they use for the NFL draft.

Use Hader to get Dominic Smith from the Mets. Grab some others with him. Someone like 3B-Brett Baty who could fill another need. Smith can play some OF this year and move into 1B full time next year when Smoak is gone.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

You only trade Hader if you don't heavily value relief pitchers and you can get an Andrew Miller type of deal. Felipe Vasquez is a great comparison for Hader. Vasquez signed a four-year deal that covered all his arbitration years with a couple of option years following.

Use Hader to get Dominic Smith from the Mets. Grab some others with him. Someone like 3B-Brett Baty who could fill another need. Smith can play some OF this year and move into 1B full time next year when Smoak is gone.

I wish they would’ve gotten Smith when he was redundant before Cespedes got hurt and the DH was implemented in the NL.

Here’s a little bit of a different idea:

Brewers Acquire:

RHP Zach Plesac

3B Nolan Jones (MLB Prospect #46)

Indians Acquire:

LHP Josh Hader

Plesac has caused a rift within the Indians organization and they may look to move on from the young pitcher. He is controlled for 5+ more seasons and would be a staple in our rotation for a long time. Jones is a big lefty bat that is in the upper minors and plays 3B. Extremely patient hitter that will draw a ton of walks. The Brewers would quite possibly have their third baseman of the future and have 3 of their 4 infield spots locked up for 5+ years all making the minimum.

Not sure if the Indians would have any interest in Hader, but a trade like this would set the Brewers up extremely well for the future. They would be able to spend big elsewhere as their core is all extremely young and cost controlled. If the Brewers could move Cain at some point this offseason as well since he will only have 2 years left, they would have a TON of financial flexibility to make significant moves this offseason.

I would pull the trigger on this trade.

I think it's worth questioning whether the clubhouse's response to Plesac's behavior is indicative of a larger behavior problem behind the scenes. Not sure if it's really an issue or not, but you have to speculate since the response of his teammates was soooo negative towards him.

Archived