Brewer Fanatic

Hader trade ideas

Gonzo75

I just don't see the Brewers getting close to equivalent value to deal him this offseason unless the Dodgers allow Stearns to pick 3 guys he wants from a list that includes May along with either Seager or Lux. Yes, he's super 2 eligible and will start getting expensive, but there is still a ton of control for one of the 3 best relievers in all of baseball based on his body of work. He's the cornerstone of their bullpen and in part their entire pitching staff given his ability to go multiple innings to either close a game or get the ball to an established closer. The Brewers have to look at 2020 as another season they can contend for the playoffs, and having Hader in their pen is a huge part of that.

Hader should be about as tradeable as Yelich at this point...they could obviously get a haul but dealing either that this point should require an obvious overpay in terms of talent headed back to Milwaukee that also fills existing roster gaps elsewhere at the MLB level with players who are much more than stopgaps

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Let's factor in here that it's completely possible if not likely that Rosenthal has slightly mischaracterized what the Brewers are doing with Hader. I doubt we're calling teams like "hey Hader is available, what's your best offer". What's more likely is in talks with other teams, Hader has come up in discussion and certain other teams with big mouths made comments to Rosenthal. I wouldn't be surprised if Yelich, Woodruff, Hiura, Knebel, etc...literally everybody on the Brewers that has value has probably come up in discussion at some point over the last year and a half or so. Stearns has quite the track record on trades, to the point that it's very unlikely he makes a glaringly bad trade when moving Hader.

With Moustakas going to Cincinnati, I wonder if the Brewers would be willing to send Hader to the Dodgers for a package that included Corey Seager to play 3B.

I think the more logical trade does not involve Hader and brings back Corey's brother.

I was initially of the mindset that Moustakas and Kyle Seager (he seems to be back from injury) were similarly valued players but I thought you could get Moose for 2 years, therefore just go with that.

Now I'm thinking Seattle would be willing to give him away for a pretty weak package of prospects and Kyle Seager will cost you basically Moose's contract with 1 less year.

I'll stop beating the dead horse but I think the Dodgers would still like to keep Corey Seager, even with just 2 years of control left. He had the Tommy John and some other shorter-term injury issues but if he's healthy and on his game, he's a 6 WAR player. I'm not sure Hader is enough for that even with an extra year or two of control.

I don’t think they should trade for Thor unless there is much more coming back. Why go all in on a 2 year window instead of bringing in guys with 5+ years of control like McNeil ++? I would rather have a long 7 year competitive window at the LEAST (including our last 2 years) by trading for guys like McNeil, Smith etc. and adding them to Yelich, Woodruff, Hiura, and Urias and being a very good team for a long time than going all in for 2 years and trading off for a rebuild.

To me Hader's future trade value is tied to developing his slider (or breaking ball, as Augustine calls it) or something else off speed. You can only throw so many 4 seam fastballs at 92-95 that maintain the swing plane before they start to time them. While still outstanding, he became SLIGHTLY more hittable last season when he had nothing else to throw.

That said, you make it known he is available, but the conversation starts with quality players not necessarily quantity. If nothing wets your beak then let the season play out. If the Brewers fail to contend, they can always see what the trade deadline market offers.

"Failing to prepare is preparing to fail"

John Wooden

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

That said, you make it known he is available, but the conversation starts with quality players not necessarily quantity. If nothing wets your beak then let the season play out. If the Brewers fail to contend, they can always see what the trade deadline market offers.

This is exactly right. You listen. Can't hurt to listen. If someone wants to pony up a fortune, then you consider it. Otherwise, you still have the guy under contract for a long time, and you can always deal him later.

Let's factor in here that it's completely possible if not likely that Rosenthal has slightly mischaracterized what the Brewers are doing with Hader. I doubt we're calling teams like "hey Hader is available, what's your best offer". What's more likely is in talks with other teams, Hader has come up in discussion and certain other teams with big mouths made comments to Rosenthal. I wouldn't be surprised if Yelich, Woodruff, Hiura, Knebel, etc...literally everybody on the Brewers that has value has probably come up in discussion at some point over the last year and a half or so. Stearns has quite the track record on trades, to the point that it's very unlikely he makes a glaringly bad trade when moving Hader.

Given the fact that Rosenthal's source was Stearns himself, I'm led to believe that Stearns used to Rosenthal to get the word out and start the bidding. Much like Stearns' public admonishing of Arcia was out of character and had me believing a replacement was coming, I'm now expecting a Hader trade this offseason. There's reason to believe we've already gotten the best of Hader when factoring in salary and effectiveness. And with free agency looking costlier by the day, Hader is the most likely movable piece than can fill some big holes.

Given the fact that Rosenthal's source was Stearns himself, I'm led to believe that Stearns used to Rosenthal to get the word out and start the bidding. Much like Stearns' public admonishing of Arcia was out of character and had me believing a replacement was coming, I'm now expecting a Hader trade this offseason. There's reason to believe we've already gotten the best of Hader when factoring in salary and effectiveness. And with free agency looking costlier by the day, Hader is the most likely movable piece than can fill some big holes.

Did Rosenthal say that Stearns said that? I missed it.

Did Rosenthal say that Stearns said that? I missed it.

Yep, Rosenthal's article was made up of direct quotes from Stearns.

From the article:

"Trading Josh Hader would be precisely that type of counterintuitive move for the Brewers, yet the left-handed reliever is indeed available, according to major-league sources.

“We listen on a wide variety of players throughout the offseason. A lot of players get discussed,” Brewers general manager David Stearns said, while adhering to his policy of refusing to comment on specific players in trade conversations."

(That's the only Stearns quote in the article)

To me that reads as Rosenthal reaching out to Stearns for comments after hearing about it elsewhere, and that being Stearns reply. It could of course also be a case of Stearns leaking it off the record and then giving an on the record "response" too. But it's not a given that Stearns was the source.

From the article:

"Trading Josh Hader would be precisely that type of counterintuitive move for the Brewers, yet the left-handed reliever is indeed available, according to major-league sources.

“We listen on a wide variety of players throughout the offseason. A lot of players get discussed,” Brewers general manager David Stearns said, while adhering to his policy of refusing to comment on specific players in trade conversations."

To me that reads as Rosenthal reaching out to Stearns for comments after hearing about it elsewhere, and that being Stearns reply. It could of course also be a case of Stearns leaking it off the record and then giving an on the record "response" too. But it's not a given that Stearns was the source.

Damn, I got a free look at the article before but it's behind a paywall now. I could've sworn there were more quotes from Stearns in that article, including one in which Stearns used Hader's name. If not, I'm mistaken and I'd lower the odds of a Hader trade into the territory of a coin toss. If forced to wager, I think he gets moved.

Hader for Devers

Boston could use a younger controllable, lights out, elite reliever. We could use a young stud 3B with control.

Would Boston do it? Probably not. Maybe build a deal around Chavis instead. We need corner IF. Hader is a great chip to land one. Dom Smith & McNeil deal would make me pretty happy as well. I just feel if you are going to part with Hader, you got to land a young cornerstone at 1B or 3B. One that has shown some ability to hit at big league level as well. Can’t whiff on it. That’s what I’d like.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

From the article:

Damn, I got a free look at the article before but it's behind a paywall now. I could've sworn there were more quotes from Stearns in that article, including one in which Stearns used Hader's name. If not, I'm mistaken and I'd lower the odds of a Hader trade into the territory of a coin toss. If forced to wager, I think he gets moved.

The italicized above affirms that Stearns, as usual, wouldn't mention any player's name specifically in any discussions with the media.

With how widely reported the past few off-seasons it's been that the Brewers are allegedly interested in a host of names on the FA market or that the Brewers "are listening on [insert any possible Brewer player's name here]...," it's pretty obvious that Stearns isn't unwilling to listen or to explore, but it's also been noted a zillion times that most of the time the Brewers are 1) just doing their due diligence on potentially available players, and 2) listening when other teams call, which is not to say a single thing about their actual willingness/eagerness to deal any player they're called about.

Wow these proposals have gotten nuts. McNeil was double the WAR of Hader last year. Gotta start looking at MiLB players.
I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

What if during talks with the Padres in the Davies/Urias trade, the Padres inquired if Stearns would yrade Hader? And gave him an example what they'd offer. And say Stearns in the back of his mind, would accept that. But if SD would offer him that, what might another team offer him? And the word now gets out he's willing to trade Hader. You know the Padres have the prospect capitol to entice a Hader trade proposal.

We should be adding younger cheaper controllable talent, not hanging onto relief pitchers, no matter how good they are.

Given the economics of baseball a franchise like Milwaukee has to survive by recycling talent. Yeah it sucks but we don’t have the money to buy out mistakes like other teams do. Hader has been really really good for us but if you can turn him into cheaper controllable high end talent you do it. Our farm system is, by all accounts, below average at best. Two of the three homegrown starters we were so high on just last off-season had dreadful years as starting pitchers. We can’t continue to survive on one year deals with the Wade Miley’s and Gio Gonzalez’s of the world. Our starting pitching is holding us back. Yes the offense needs to improve to but it’s generally much easier and much cheaper to find hitting than pitching.

My proposal was Hader to the Dodgers for Dustin May and Josiah Gray. If they go for it we’d get two quality starting pitching prospects, one of whom may be MLB ready and the other who is no more than a year away.

As much as we would all hate to see Hader go, I do think this might be the best time to really capitalize on his trade value. If I'm Stearns though, I'm not trading him unless if I'm getting a haul in return. The guy has been the best relief pitcher in the NL (and arguably all of baseball) the past two seasons, and if you are going to trade him with 3 years of control left - you better get a lot back in return.

With that said - let's say we do find a trade partner for Hader. What then do we do with our relief core? We are currently in a competitive window right now, and losing a guy as unique and talented like Hader would hurt badly in those later innings. We've already lost Pomeranz, and we also have no idea what Knebel is going to look like in his return from injury this spring. I'm sure that DS isn't going to want to spend a ton of money on free agent relief pitchers, but I'd hate to go into next season relying on Knebel as our closer. Are there other good options out there?

You know the reason this is happening is because of 1day and Super 2 staus. Without it, the discussions arent happening. With another RP of the year type season in 2020, whats that dollar amount going to? 8-9mil? With 2more yrs of increasing salary to come.

After all the cuts yesterday there are options at 3b/1b. Gotta find a co_#1 with Eoodruff in the making. (Or I suppose with 2yrs of control)

Madtown to your comment-

Kneble, still have Burnes, Peralta all on bouncebacks in the RP roll from day could produce a solid finishing group. Peralta is really where Im going to fill Hader's departure. Another draft pick trade? If it got late and the team was looking barren in RP.

Archived