Brewer Fanatic

Hader trade ideas

Gonzo75
  • Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think something like Dom Smith, Steve Matz, one of Gimenez/Mauricio (Mets top 2 SS prospects) and then someone like David Peterson (LH starter, 1st round pick in 2017, should open 2020 in AAA) would have been pretty fair value.

Mets probably pulled out because they thought it was too much, many Brewer fans would probably think we sold low since it's more of a quantity package without one big marquee name & therein lies why a Hader deal is unlikely to come together. Teams are going to be hesitant to include that one guy that puts it over the top & makes it a clear win for the Brewers, especially with guys like Will Harris, Collin McHugh & Daniel Hudson still on the market that require no prospect capital to obtain.

Yeah I’m guessing that was fabricated and that conversation never happened.... it’s incarcerated bob.

I think something like Dom Smith, Steve Matz, one of Gimenez/Mauricio (Mets top 2 SS prospects) and then someone like David Peterson (LH starter, 1st round pick in 2017, should open 2020 in AAA) would have been pretty fair value.

Mets probably pulled out because they thought it was too much, many Brewer fans would probably think we sold low since it's more of a quantity package without one big marquee name & therein lies why a Hader deal is unlikely to come together. Teams are going to be hesitant to include that one guy that puts it over the top & makes it a clear win for the Brewers, especially with guys like Will Harris, Collin McHugh & Daniel Hudson still on the market that require no prospect capital to obtain.

Yeah I’m guessing that was fabricated and that conversation never happened.... it’s incarcerated bob.

The guy nails a ton of rumors. It wouldn’t surprise me if this one had legs. Would be interesting to find out who the “highly-rated” prospects were.

I would hope that if Stearns does trade hader it would be for at least 3 to 4 players. 2 from AA or closer with solid track records - maybe a #15-#30 mlb prospect and an #75-#100 mlb prospect along the line of kiriloff (#15) and balazovic (#76) and a couple to dream on. Looking at possible trade partners who think they will contend and would possibly need relief pitching - best matchups I think would be PHI, MIN, WASH, CHW. Would not be surprised to possible hear from SD too, since Yates is not too far off from free agency. OAK would be a good match but dont think management would spend much long term for an elite reliever.

I guess I'm a bit perplexed why so many seemingly would be okay with just getting a package of prospects for Josh?? To me, you have to get something at least as impactful or more than Josh is for the current team. I really think if DS traded Josh for nothing more than a package of prospects, no matter how good they MAY become, he would get crucified, and probably rightly so. You can't subtract a piece like that from the current team, and not get an immediate impact back. That would be tough to explain I think.

The guy nails a ton of rumors. It wouldn’t surprise me if this one had legs. Would be interesting to find out who the “highly-rated” prospects were.

He nails a ton because he throws a ton of crap against the wall. He’s bound to get some right when you can connect some dots with the information available out there now on social media.

He nails a ton because he throws a ton of crap against the wall. He’s bound to get some right when you can connect some dots with the information available out there now on social media.

Nah, I've followed him for awhile. He's does miss on a few, but his track record is pretty legit. He's nailed a lot lately too. I haven't seen anything he's posted as a sure thing over the last few months not happen. It's pretty obvious he's got some pretty good sources. The only thing I'm not a fan of is the pretty constant patting himself on the back.

Why would DS get fleeced and Cashman make out like a bandit two years later?

There were significant extenuating circumstances that impacted both trades made in this specific case (so definitely not an apples-to-apples comparison), but there is one example of the Yankees getting back significantly more than they paid for a high-end reliever...

December 28, 2015: Aroldis Chapman traded by the Cincinnati Reds to the New York Yankees for Eric Jagielo, Caleb Cotham, Rookie Davis and Tony Renda.

July 25, 2016: Aroldis Chapman traded by the New York Yankees to the Chicago Cubs for Rashad Crawford, Billy McKinney, Gleyber Torres and Adam Warren.

Still, worrying about what might happen down the road is the last thing that should be on the minds of the Brewers’ front office. They will focus on their own evaluation of the players/prospects being offered right now and balance that with their long term projections for Josh Hader. If they get a deal where they feel confident the long-term impact greatly outweighs the projected value of Hader over the next few seasons than they will likely pull the trigger.

As much as the fan in me wants the Brewers to go “all-in” during the Yelich window, it also makes me a bit of a hypocrite since I was an antagonist of Doug Melvin’s “window theory”. The discipline the current front office has shown is actually pretty incredible even if it can be frustrating at times. I have a feeling David Stearns is telling the truth when he references building a perennial winner versus attempting to swing for the fences within a specific cycle of time. That may mean the Brewers won’t always have flashy off-seasons and in many cases they may take a significant asset and try to multiply the projected value into the future via trade, but it also means the Brewers won’t likely ever be in a position where they can’t make moves because of an overwhelming amount of dead money on the books, or refuse to make moves just because they overvalue the present.

This says a lot about my take on Stearns as well. He wants a perennial winner. So do we. But Milwaukee needs to build a perennial winner in a different way than a big-market team does, simply because the Brewers can't do a $200 million payroll each year. Even if Jeff Bezos bought the Brewers, a perpetual $200 million payroll has less chance of happening than "fetch."

Much of the team's focus will have to be on the farm system and scouting international markets - KBO, Japan, Australia, etc. Part of it is going to be on sabremetrics, finding an edge other teams undervalue. A lot will be on scouting - especially when it comes to finding "nuggets" who other teams miss. The Brewers need to be able to find major league contributors - if not stars - who fall to the late rounds. The next Brent Suter, for instance.

Sometimes, that process will mean dealing a Josh Hader. But it also will mean having the talent capital in the farm system to get a Christian Yelich. It also means having the payroll flexibility to sign a free agent like LoCain.

Nah, I've followed him for awhile. He's does miss on a few, but his track record is pretty legit. He's nailed a lot lately too. I haven't seen anything he's posted as a sure thing over the last few months not happen. It's pretty obvious he's got some pretty good sources. The only thing I'm not a fan of is the pretty constant patting himself on the back.

A reputable beat writer would actually be on it if that was the case. He’s added no new information. He parrots what the main stream guys say and changes the wording and adds a detail or two. It’s literally no different from the “share homework” meme and it’s content people love to eat up.

A reputable beat writer would actually be on it if that was the case. He’s added no new information. He parrots what the main stream guys say and changes the wording and adds a detail or two. It’s literally no different from the “share homework” meme and it’s content people love to eat up.

If you go through his timeline he shows where he has been right and gotten the scoop before national media. A lot of times they are scoops no one else had. He brags a lot about it on his timeline. He definitely has sources

@MLBMarathon just posted this

Hader for Andujar and Frazier being discussed. #Brewers seeking one more top prospect to finish the deal. Cashman being a tough negotiator. #Yankees #MLB

Hmm ... not sure where Frazier would fit given the current makeup of the team. Not sure I believe this one.

If you go through his timeline he shows where he has been right and gotten the scoop before national media. A lot of times they are scoops no one else had. He brags a lot about it on his timeline. He definitely has sources

I never thought I’d be the one standing up for Incarcerated Bob, but I think his shtick is being portrayed incorrectly. He isn’t your run-of-the-(rumor)-mill phony news breaking Twitter account. He does seemingly have some actual connections throughout various corners of the professional sports industry, but he also gets some of his tips through his DMs because of his social media notoriety. I assume he vets them to some extent because it does seem as though he’s proven correct more often than he’s wrong. All of this being said, if you’re skeptical of his Hader report and refuse to believe it as more than hogwash, that’s totally understandable and I get it. The problem with that kind of hindsight report (i.e. “this almost happened”) is that it’s nearly impossible to disprove because the pretense is already setup that it’s not going to happen.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

Hader for Andujar and Frazier being discussed. #Brewers seeking one more top prospect to finish the deal. Cashman being a tough negotiator. #Yankees #MLB

Hmm ... not sure where Frazier would fit given the current makeup of the team. Not sure I believe this one.

That was my initial reaction too. But Stearns is an outside the box thinker. He’s the one GM where you’re never completely sure what he’s going to do until it’s all done. Would he go and flip Frazier?

I thought this rumor was debunked weeks ago. The Brewers have almost no interest in Frazier and Andujar is not a headliner.

Have you met our reputable beat writer? I don't think I've seen him scoop a trade in his life.

Archived