Brewer Fanatic

Hader trade ideas

Gonzo75

Andujar and Frazier is an absolute nonstarter for me. Both are flawed players coming off injuries and overvalued due to the Yankees hype bump. Andujar is an unusable defender at 3B and has zero plate discipline. Frazier has been mediocre for a while now and is already 25.

We can and should do much better in a Hader trade. Slam the phone down on this nonsense, Stearns!

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would not do Frazier/Andujar.

Something about Frazier just screams "Yankees overhyped prospect" to me. He's basically Trent Grisham. No thanks.

The Brewers should do this if they get elite players in return or I may live with the solid cost control of Smith/McNeil with upside.

If they want replacement-level guys, they should just sign Corey Dickerson for $3 million or whatever he'll command instead of trade for Clint Frazier.

The Brewers have money to spend this offseason. They shouldn't be looking to cut corners. However, I would take an elite player or two very good players at cost control for 5-6 years. I would not take a few versions of Trent Grisham just so Attanasio can buy another yacht.

Can McNeil even play third base on a daily basis. I see he has sporadic time there and I don't know if that is because 2B is simply a more valuable place to be for him or if his arm is a noodle. Because if he isn't good defensively there our pitchers are going to die of unearned runs in that trade situation and what we plan up the middle.

Hader is arguably the best RP in baseball and is under control for 4 more seasons in his 20s!! I think this is a rare instance of Brewers fans undervaluing an asset :laughing

We should be asking for the moon.

Still haven't seen a proposal that interests me at all. McNeil is a good hitter but is pretty bad defensively and Dominic Smith is a run of the mill first baseman. Unless we are offered an elite prospect like Lux in a deal we shouldn't move Hader.

Im not interested in a quantity of mediocre talent for the best reliever in baseball. If offers like the ones proposed here involving the two New York teams are the best we can get forget it altogether.

If half a season of Chapman brought back Gleybor Torres we shouldn't settle for guys like McNeil or Andujar as the main piece for Hader who comes with 4 years of control.

Here's my Hader to the Mets trade:

Mets get: Hader

Brewers get: Jeff McNeil, 1B Dominic Smith, LHP David Peterson

McNeil goes to 3B (5 years of control remaining)

Smith goes to 1B (5 years of control remaining)

Peterson is a former 1st round pick from Oregon who has had middling success thus far - reaching AA last year. But he has some good peripherals, and could be a middle of the rotation type starter. Won't help in 2020, but could down the road.

Yes, you open a massive hole in the bullpen, but you potentially fill two position slots - for very cheap.

Just an idea.

I'd do that.

I think a lot of people just don't perceive value in McNeil because he wasn't a highly regarded prospect and therefore is viewed as a late bloomer and possible flash-in-the-pan. But there were those same concerns with Merrifield and he continues to be a good player for KC.

McNeil is up over 800 MLB plate appearances and has a .318/.383/.513/.896 slash line. Looked like a hot bat in 2018 but came back and had an even better OPS in 2019. Looking back at his minor league career, totals there were a .380 OBP and .822 OPS. Everything from 2016 forward looks really good other than a slight hiccup when first reaching AAA in 2017 (only covers 71 at-bats).

Five more years of control, and there is no chance of him being a Super Two player with 1.069 days of service time. Last year he started at least 16 games at all these positions: LF, RF, 3B, 2B. Fortunately enough for the Brewers, DRS and UZR/150 indicate his best position is 3B (obviously small sample sizes). His BABIP numbers are on the high side (.337 in 2019). However, his % of soft hit balls is also very low (11.2%, Yelich was at 14.4%).

He did break his wrist at the end of last year (HBP). It doesn't sound like it's a big deal but the doctors would have to clear it. Other than that, I really like McNeil and think he would be an excellent get for the Brewers.

It would be interesting to see how the Mets value McNeil. I don't trust the tradevalue site at all. I also don't do WAR calculations on players with <1 year of service time and am a bit hesitant to do it with players with <2 years of service time. Putting a surplus value on him of 48 million makes him roughly equivalent to a hitter that would rank at #42 on the top 100 prospects list. IMO that could potentially turn out to be a real bargain as he was a 4.8 bWAR/fWAR player last year and missed a good chunk of the season with the broken wrist. He's being projected as a 3-3.5 WAR player for 2020. I really think he's a good bet to be a 12.5+ WAR player over the next five seasons, and if calculating out surplus value using that figure then his surplus value should be more around the 75 million mark.

Hader is arguably the best RP in baseball and is under control for 4 more seasons in his 20s!! I think this is a rare instance of Brewers fans undervaluing an asset :laughing

We should be asking for the moon.

I agree. The Brewers would be getting a franchise altering return that could set us up for the foreseeable future. Hit on a couple guys that you’ll have for 5+ year and you’ll have a very strong and young nucleus to build around with the guys we already have here. The McNeil/Smith is a good starting point. I would still ask for more (because why not?).

I do think you talk to the Dodgers though and ask for a Lux and Smith/Ruiz return. Hader should be fetching a top 10 prospect (that is MLB ready) if moved or a ton of MLB talent such as McNeil and Smith as well as a couple highly regarded prospects in the 50-100 range.

The Brewers have no need to trade Hader right now. Stearns is in the driver seat. Don’t want to match the ask? Enjoy overspending on relievers that are more expensive and less dominant while you blow a game late in the postseason because you went with True Value instead of legit Haderade.

Any deal with the Mets, Im asking for Alonso at 1b. That is the kind of necessary get imo. Not their blocked corner IF. They arent blocked when you send Alonso over.

thats not happening. i am fine for asking for the moon, but I don't think the mets would do alonso for hader straight up even.

I'll add my same thought in here that trading one of their prized prospects or even probably Seager for Josh Hader is something very un-Dodgers. I don't see Hader fetching Lux, Seager, etc...the Dodgers will just fill the void with money given that they already have a dominant team locked up for way under their standard budget. They can just go out and sign Strasburg, Chapman, and maybe another good player while still keeping Lux, Seager, etc.

Then they'll win the division by 10+ games again and try their luck with Chapman plus the 2-3 good relievers they traded for at the deadline. I know that anyone else's counter-argument will be that "they need a reliever to put them over the top" but that is foolish and not how the Dodgers think.

If you ain't crushing a team in this trade, then you don't trade Hader.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I've stated on this forum that there is absolutely no way the Brewers end up trading Hader. Mostly because he is under control for so many years, and so good, that the package would have to be absolutely unbelievable for the Brewers to accept. I just don't think there are any teams willing to give up an equal amount of value for what Hader provides. That is not a bad thing, either. We should be more than happy to roll into the season with the best RP in baseball in our bullpen.

In my mind, if Hader does end up getting traded, its because of what Brew4U said - the crew received an historic haul (a.k.a. not Mcneil and Smith).

Pretty much. If Hader is dealt this offseason, it's going to be for an "OMGMFOGINFKJHT$$$!!!!!!" return. You can argue the teams, and whether they particularly would make the deal or not. But the return would be huge, no matter which team does it. Pretty much any team who has any hope of competing in the next half decade would love to have Hader.

I think it's good that we're open to trades, not that I'd be happy to see Hader leave. The article mentions Edwin Diaz to the Mets as a comp; the Mariners got salary relief from getting out from under the Cano deal, but also two really good prospects in Dunn and Kelenic. The Ms did take on Bruce and Swarzak as well, for whatever that's worth. Diaz had four years' control remaining, just as Vader does. Given that we're not shedding a Cano contract, you'd think we'd want more than two top 100 prospects or MLB established young players. Not too many teams can pull that off, I'd guess...

YES! which is why he is available. Thats why its hard for me to propose a trade, because anything i come up with, i think then team X would never do that.

Isn't this how it works? In reality everyone on the Brewers roster is available for the right price. It is just the fact the return needed to move Yelich, Woodruff, Hiura, Hader is so high a trade for those players is virtually impossible. The return for a star type player from the Brewers would have to make the team better in the short run and the long run. Otherwise to move any of those players the return would have to compensate for the fact the Brewers would be breaking up their club during a competitive window. For an NL club in particular, the return package would have to be so enticing that it is worth facing Hader a half dozen times a year or more for the next several seasons.

McNeil is a nice player but NO WAY would the Brewers settle for him as a headliner in a Hader trade. (he's actually 2 years older than Hader at 27)

And players like Dom Smith are a dime a dozen in today's MLB.

Can't believe fans are saying they would do deals like this in a heartbeat.

FWIW, the Mets board seems convinced it will be Davis, Smith, or Mcneil headlining any Hader trade, with good prospects added as well. Most don't want to give up Mcneil or Mauricio. I'm not very familiar with their system personally, none of their prospects really jump off the page at me...

I still like a trade with the Dodgers best. If we are indeed floating Hader's name out there, I have to imagine no less than a dozen teams are at minimum inquiring on him...with more than half of those seriously entertaining the idea of acquiring him. Hader is not only a top 5 reliever in baseball, but he's also by far the best available...and by far the best deal from a $ perspective when talking premium relievers.

Exactly. And I am not even sure Hader for Alonso would be beneficial for the Brewers in the current window but it's their biggest piece for our biggest piece (other than Yelich who from a baseball and business standpoint is not going anywhere).

Realistically, the trade should be Hader for Syndergaard but I doubt the Mets are smart enough to do that deal.

McNeil is a nice player but NO WAY would the Brewers settle for him as a headliner in a Hader trade.

And players like Dom Smith are a dime a dozen in today's MLB.

Can't believe fans are saying they would do deals like this in a heartbeat.

Right on, the Brewers would ask for Syndergaard as a headliner along with McNeil. Any trade where the other team doesn't give key pieces to get one of the Brewers best players just isn't realistic.

Any deal with the Mets, Im asking for Alonso at 1b. That is the kind of necessary get imo. Not their blocked corner IF. They arent blocked when you send Alonso over.

thats not happening. i am fine for asking for the moon, but I don't think the mets would do alonso for hader straight up even.

I think Alonso cant provide any higher value than what he did last season. 161games. Just over .900OPS as every bit his history has been. 25yrs old. Truth is if that is his ceiling, is that enough in return? He's only 10HRs and 10BBs away from his numbers looking pedestrian.

Hader can improve no doubt with improvement on a 2nd pitch. In 2018 I believe his slider was used more often and it was filthy when located. Unhittable.

An Alonso type of player is what the team needs in return. Im not restocking the farm for Hader. I'm improving the 2020 roster from day 1. To me this is the only reason Stearns is open for discussion. I think the SP, 1b/3b, and C needs are not to his liking whats readily out there. So he's going to pluck from another team's 25man roster.

Archived