Brewer Fanatic

Hader trade ideas

Gonzo75
More laughable garbage. Its Devers and Chavis+ if you're looking for an actual trade for the best RP in baseball.

I don’t think two Josh Hader’s would get you Rafael Devers at this point.

I agree that his value is a little low on the trade values site (feels like it should be in the 60’s to low-70’s), but I don’t think it’s nearly to the level of discrepancy that others clearly do.

I hope they just keep Hader because I get the feeling if they trade him the pitchforks are coming out among the fan base.

I know I’m in the minority on this (and hope I’m wrong), but I’ll be mildly surprised if he’s still a dominant reliever by the end of his arbitration years. I think without developing a more balanced repertoire he is going to become more hittable as batters have more opportunities to face him. Hopefully that’s wrong and he remains the dominant pitcher we’ve seen to date.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I really would like a TOR arm for Hader if we were to deal him

So if he were going to the Mets I’d like Syndergaard and Dom Smith

Hader

For

Syndergaard, Dom Smith and Familia or Lowrie

Adds a lot of Salary which I think the Brewers could take, but we get Syndergaard for 2 more years, Smith will be our first baseman for years and I’m sure we would have to eat either Familias 2 years to make it work. Familias been good up until last year where he was horrible or Lowrie who would be our day 1 3rd basemen for a year.

Just say no if Familia is in the deal. His numbers are way down and he is owed $24.5M in the next two years. Way too much. Plus there is no way in the world the Mets would even consider this deal with Wheeler gone.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
This trade was proposed on Baseball Trade Values by a Red Sox fan and has been universally liked so far by the community there.

49198280678_c0773cb60d_z.jpg

Curious if others like this deal from the Brewers standpoint?

Andrew Benintendi is under contract for three more seasons and Michael Chavis for six seasons. Benintendi did deal with some injuries and performance regression last season, but has shown the ability to be an above average offensive player. Chavis has some defensive versatility around the infield (1B, 2B, 3B).

Chavis scares me due to the PED stuff. Plus his strikeout rate is really high (33%). He seemed like an okay prospect - but nothing special. I just don't know how valuable he will be.

Benintendi really intrigues me, but his decline is worrisome. I know he struggled last year, so we'd have to be sure he's recovered from whatever injuries were bothering him.

I also hate giving up on Corey with his trade value so low.

Brewers send:

LHP Josh Hader (4 years arby)

Mets send:

RHP Noah Syndergaard (2 years arby)

1B Dom Smith (4 years control, 3 in arby)

3B Jed Lowrie (1 year- $9M)

This deal does make a lot of sense on the surface for both teams.

However, if the Mets are netting Hader they'd prefer to keep Thor to help them be contenders.

Conversely, if the Brewers are netting Thor, they prefer to keep Hader for the same reasons.

Tough call for either team to pull the trigger on this proposal and likely why it will never happen.

Brewers send:

Mets send:

However, if the Mets are netting Hader they'd prefer to keep Thor to help them be contenders.

Conversely, if the Brewers are netting Thor, they prefer to keep Hader for the same reasons.

Tough call for either team to pull the trigger on this proposal and likely why it will never happen.

This deal makes no sense for the Mets at all. Maybe this works in a video game but not in reality.

Brewers send:

Mets send:

I don't really get how this makes any sense at all for the Mets.

Hader is perfectly deployed to hold 95% of leads in the toughest situations.

After this trade, the Mets may only lead in 75 or 80 games in the next few seasons.

Brewers send:

Mets send:

After this trade, the Mets may only lead in 75 or 80 games in the next few seasons.

I don't know how you figure, because with deGrom, Stroman and Matz at the front of their rotation currently, they'd still have a better rotation then the Brewers currently do, even WITHOUT Thor.

Joey, I have been on this site 10 years longer than you and you have only 900 or so posts less than me.

I think you may have the fastest post count ever, I mean EVER.

That may be true, but BC92 would probably have the highest post count ever by now, had he not been banned (I'm assuming that's what happened).

That guy was posting a million times a day :)

Brewers send:

Mets send:

I don't know how you figure, because with deGrom, Stroman and Matz at the front of their rotation currently, they'd still have a better rotation then the Brewers currently do, even WITHOUT Thor.

They just lost Wheeler, and they will have traded away Thor and Smith...this team won less games than the Brewers last year.

I'm all for the idea that they can improve with Stroman for a full year, positive regression for Diaz, etc. but they'd have to do a lot more than this to make Hader be the useful final piece.

Ken Rosenthal per his article for The Athletic this morning...

The Yankees have been the most active pursuer of Hader, sources said, but a deal with any club remains unlikely. The Brewers understandably want a lot for Hader, who is 25, under club control for four more seasons and projected by MLBTradeRumors.com to earn $4.6 million in his first crack at arbitration.

The Dodgers and the Mets are among the other teams that have inquired about Hader, sources say. In some cases, sources say the Brewers asked for a package that included at least one top prospect. Teams, however, are hesitant to part with such an asset for a reliever, even one as good as Hader.

He goes on to say that some clubs are concerned by his workload, pointing out that over the past two seasons, Hader has thrown 168 innings which second only to Yusmeiro Petit among pitchers used solely as relievers.

Rosenthal notes that the Yankees were also “engaged” on reliever Blake Treinen before he signed a one-year, $10 million contract with the Dodgers.

Well that doesn’t sound too promising. What does a reasonable offer from the Yankees look like?

How is it not promising? The Brewers are asking for a ton for the best reliever in the game with 4 remaining years of control, as they should be. If a team truly values him, they'll pay up. Otherwise, the Brewers simply keep him.

The Yankees system is pretty gross to look at if you're looking for immediate MLB contributors. Deivi Garcia is a talented arm, but probably profiles as a reliever. He's very similar to Freddy Peralta. Albert Abreu is a talented arm, but struggled in AA last year. Chance Adams has been a hyped pitcher, but hasn't shown much at the MLB level. Clarke Schmidt might be the closest starting pitcher, but he's at least a year away, and probably profiles as a #3-4. Miguel Andujar and Clint Frazier may be position player targets, although each has his red flags as well.

Oh just settle down. It doesn’t look promising because based on the report it doesn’t look like teams are willing to give up what the Brewers are and should be asking for. But who really knows what these national media guys know.

I'm settled LOL. Just questioning the tone, that's all. Having the best reliever in baseball for the 2020 season is far from a bad thing. I have never gotten the idea through all this that the Brewers are actively shopping Hader, but were listening. I was thinking there was maybe a 40% chance they deal him this offseason, but after reading this, I will amend that to maybe a 25% chance.

Andujar almost assuredly would be part of the deal, but the question might be who else would come with him.

Andujar worked hard on his defense at third going into the 2019 season but due to his injury, we aren’t sure how much he progressed.

Once I saw the report that the Yankees are the most aggressive on Hader I was concerned with what might actually be a suitable package. I know a couple of years ago an Andújar / Frazier package would have been highly thought of (I think the Yankees refused to give the Pirates those two for Cole at the time), but obviously both have lost a little shine since. The Yankees have some arms, but no one that projects as a sure thing.

Brewers send:

Mets send:

With the addition of Wacha and Porcello, doesn't this type of deal make a bit more sense now with the Mets? Lowrie, Thor and Dom Smith for Hader? Mets would still have a really solid rotation with deGrom, Stroman, Matz, Wacha and Porcello. They don't have room for Smith with Alonso manning 1B for the next 5+ years, and this would get them out of the Lowrie contract.

I guess the big question would be - how does Lowrie bounce back from the injury in 2020 and can he play 3B adequately for us? And, are we confident that Dom Smith is going to be a high-level 1B in this league?

Brewers send:

Mets send:

With the addition of Wacha and Porcello, doesn't this type of deal make a bit more sense now with the Mets? Lowrie, Thor and Dom Smith for Hader? Mets would still have a really solid rotation with deGrom, Stroman, Matz, Wacha and Porcello. They don't have room for Smith with Alonso manning 1B for the next 5+ years, and this would get them out of the Lowrie contract.

I guess the big question would be - how does Lowrie bounce back from the injury in 2020 and can he play 3B adequately for us? And, are we confident that Dom Smith is going to be a high-level 1B in this league?

The more and more I think about this offer - the more doubts I think I'd have about Lowrie and Smith. We'd be relying on two big question marks then at 3B and 1B, and I doubt we'd be willing to do that heading into a year where we are trying to compete. Also, you'd have some question marks with Thor coming off of a pretty blah year for him. Not sure if I'd do this deal for Hader? I might be more interested in it if they replaced Dom Smith with JD Davis - assuming that Davis can play a decent 1B.

Brewers send:

Mets send:

The more and more I think about this offer - the more doubts I think I'd have about Lowrie and Smith. We'd be relying on two big question marks then at 3B and 1B, and I doubt we'd be willing to do that heading into a year where we are trying to compete. Also, you'd have some question marks with Thor coming off of a pretty blah year for him. Not sure if I'd do this deal for Hader? I might be more interested in it if they replaced Dom Smith with JD Davis - assuming that Davis can play a decent 1B.

I think Dom Smith would hold more appeal to the Brewers, as his left-handed power may play up a bit better than Davis's right-handed bat in Miller Park ... although Davis has proven more at the big league level.

I think Dom Smith would hold more appeal to the Brewers, as his left-handed power may play up a bit better than Davis's right-handed bat in Miller Park ... although Davis has proven more at the big league level.

Good point. If DS feels confident enough in Dom Smith, this would be an interesting deal to pull off. Of course, we have no idea if the Mets would even be willing to trade Thor at this point though?

Archived