Brewer Fanatic

Ryon Healy

Healy opted for FA. Might be a worthwhile value reclamation project as a RH platoon at first or third.

What is there to reclaim? He's a career .297 OBP guy who is a below average fielder. Maybe a minor lg. contract with a spring training invite.

Healy's a proven power hitting RH bat who can play both corner infield spots and won't cost much. That's a need on this roster. Defense at the corner infield spots isn't critical especially in the days of so many strikeouts and I'm looking for run production in the 6th or 7th spot in the order. He's been a run producer. Plus he'll only be 28 next year. In his rookie year he posted .305/.337/.524 in 72 games. His career OPS+ is 104. All the Brewers have right now at the corner spots are Shaw, Thames, and Austin. Two are LH hitters and Austin is marginal major leaguer.

Just because there is a need doesn't mean you sign the first player that comes along. His Rookie year was four years ago and he has gotten progressively worse the more he is exposed to major league pitching. I agree that nothing more than a minor league contract is warranted. Keep looking for a better option (it shouldn't be that hard).
but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Since he was on the Mariners I assume he isn't as bad as the numbers. If the price is right I would support taking a shot. More upside than Encarnacion.

Encarnacion has a higher floor, but Healy could improve.

The former gets a one-year deal for about $7.5 million. The latter gets a minor-league deal with NRI, and will most likely platoon with Erceg in San Antonio.

Tend to agree. Healy is fine as a minor league/ST invite guy...but you could say that about anyone with even a shred of remaining upside.

Isn't the guy they traded Anderson for today (Spanberger) basically a younger version of Healy?

In time, I assume that guy is a minor leaguer and doesn't require 40 man protection yet. So it's generally different.

• 1 month later...

Archived