Brewer Fanatic

Brewers Rebrand [Latest: New Logos and Uniforms Officially Unveiled ~ Post #302]

IntentionalHBP
  • Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I only buy BiG and/or the retro apparel so to me personally.... I’m on board with officially going back. I never got into the M and wheat or navy and gold. Really the Gold trend that took over in late 90s to 00s has drastically died down. Same with royal to navy. During that time from many professional sports teams moved away yellow to gold and Royals to more navy. Now we have seen Gold and Navy start to turn back. Marquette & the Rams are a good example.

I really was coming around to the Navy & Yellow though. It is different combo you do not see a ton of. In no way do I expect a huge rebrand like the Bucks did (thought they did outstanding) but hopefully it’s good and something worth lasting awhile.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

That flag repels me, because who wants a mashup of the ball-glove logo + Wisconsin's license plate design?!

The apparent new ball-glove logo looks to me mostly like someone tweaked it for the sake of tweaking, which seems aesthetically unnecessary. I'm open to the possibility there could be some industry reason that would require a tweaked design, but branding is not my industry so I have no idea what that would be.

Having lived through the shadow of the valley of the Motre Bame brand era, I'm mostly grateful the ball-glove logo appears to remain the basis of the new brand, and not something completely out of left field (pardon the pun). I don't think this means I live in the past; I have good memories of the ball-glove's primary era, but I have in-person memories of the early Miller Park era that are at least as good.

I think the Times New Roman jersey font is bound to be on its way out. It's actually a weird font for a sports uniform, but it was OUR weird font, so I kind of liked it. Assuming they change the font, I hope they picked something relatively standard.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I don’t mind the laces or centering the ball.

The white piece being thrown out is what gets me. That small piece of white is what really throws it off and makes it look different if you ask me. Had that still been incorporated seeing the differences would be difficult.

The worst part is all the complaining it will cause and how they tweaked it just to tweak it talk.

I think the Times New Roman jersey font is bound to be on its way out. It's actually a weird font for a sports uniform, but it was OUR weird font, so I kind of liked it. Assuming they change the font, I hope they picked something relatively standard.

I’ve been convinced since Spring Training that the American Family Fields of Phoenix walkway leading to the stadium with the retired numbers and the historical wall number will be the Brewers new uniform font.

rownuk65.jpeg?quality=85&strip=all&w=1320

http://ballparkdigest.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/AmFanFields2019-4.jpg

I was trying to remember which one of you had that theory! I think you're onto something, as the font that's sort of visible on the grainy Topps card image leaked previously made me think of that AFFOP font immediately.
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

EIuFAKdWwAAlQPX?format=jpg&name=medium

Here’s a great shot of a side by side from our friend Borchert Field on Twitter

I like the corrected stitching and centering on the ball. I like the straightening of the lines between the fingers. I even like the narrowing; I always thought the (pinky?) finger on the far right hung out there a little too much. I find the linking of the m and the b at the top (between the thumb and index finger) to be distracting.

Side by side the differences stand out, but once the new logo is by itself on the new uniforms, it'll be difficult to notice the changes.

Overall, glad for the rebrand. Glad to bring back a timeless logo. Most fans will love that they did this.

Not buying anything new right away; I'll wait till I can get this logo on some World Series Champions merchandise.

Side by side, I can accept everything except the narrowing of the logo. Looks dumb. All of the changes are unnecessary and clearly change for the sake of change, which annoys the hell out of me. Just leave the best logo as is. Don't even need to adjust the stitching.

I’d rather them have kept it completely alone, however I’m not hating the new one. My least favorite part of the new one is the connected area between the ‘m’ and the ‘b’. They are blended together too much now so it’s even harder to distinguish the ‘m’.

I'll start by saying that I'm actually pumped that they went back to the best logo in sports (Ball in Glove) instead of reinventing a brand new one going forward.

With that said, here's my take on the changes that I see:

1. Changed yellow "pepsi" swirl in middle of ball to two yellow ball stitches. Verdict: Improved

2. Made the yellow lines between the letter m straight all the way down. Verdict: Unnecessary but Improved

3. Moved ball down in mitt of "glove" and centered it. Verdict: Unnecessary but Neutral

4. Filled in white part of "webbing" between b and m with a solid yellow. Verdict: Unnecessary but minor Fail

5. Connected b and m at the top of the "webbing" with a blue line "bridge". Verdict: Fail

6. Squeezed or narrowed bubbly "cartoonish" dimensions of original logo to more "corporate" straight dimensions. Verdict: Fail

Overall grade: C

Verdict: Unnecessary change for change's sake of selling new Merch going forward. Need to sell more, new merch. Understood. In a strange way, I think it was very possible that they could have messed it up WAY more then they actually did. Gotta give them some credit for that. Lame but Brewer fans will be able to live with it.

Message to Brewers future Marketing teams: Please leave this logo exactly the same and only make uniform changes or alternative logos with this creation central to the design. This is your franchise "brand" logo. Don't change it again. Marketing 101

Thanks

Go Brewers!

Message to Brewers current and future Marketing teams: Please leave this logo exactly the same as it was and only make uniform changes or alternative logos with this creation central to the design. This is your franchise "brand" logo. Don't change it. Marketing 101

Thanks

Go Brewers!

Fixed it for you

I am not Shea Vucinich

After seeing the almost universal backlash against this "updated" version of the logo, I will not be surprised if Attanasio changes it back to the original. He seems too astute to the wants and desires of the fanbase to go with this long term.

Like I mentioned previously, this is a Selig/Selig-Prieb move. Attanasio is more in tune with us (at least I hope he is).

After seeing the almost universal backlash against this "updated" version of the logo, I will not be surprised if Attanasio changes it back to the original. He seems too astute to the wants and desires of the fanbase to go with this long term.

Like I mentioned previously, this is a Selig/Selig-Prieb move. Attanasio is more in tune with us (at least I hope he is).

I think using the term "backlash" is seriously overstating things. And "universal"? Come on.

I've seen a lot of "ehh" or "whatever". Casual fan isn't going to know that there is any difference between the old logo and the "new" one.

I think using the term "backlash" is seriously overstating things. And "universal"? Come on.

I've seen a lot of "ehh" or "whatever". Casual fan isn't going to know that there is any difference between the old logo and the "new" one.

This is why I don't really buy into this idea that they do this to sell a bunch of new stuff. I would be willing to bet that the increase in merch sales in negligible. The fans buy new crap every year regardless, I am as guilty as anybody. I bought the playoff hoodie because I thought it was cool. I have plenty of hoodies.

There is also loads of new merch out every year. They make shirts with barrels, put stitching on the numbers, etc. They do all kinds of stuff every year and people line up for the new designs. The idea that a new logo is going make hordes of people flock to the register is kind of a joke to me. There are people wearing ancient merchandise at every single game I attend. They either want a new shirt or they don't. Some people will want the fresh stuff, but I strongly doubt that is the motivation behind doing this.

Note that I am not saying people won't buy the new logo. I am saying that many of those people would have bought new stuff regardless. I just don't see people out there going, "Oh my God, my BiG hat isn't the same shade of blue, I absolutely have to get a new wardrobe now."

I think they are way too far into the process to make changes. I am sure all of the new merchandise is printed and sitting at Miller Park now. Its not changing. Also I don't get the backlash, minus that it is a little different that it was before. I would argue it now looks more like a glove without the white void between the m&B. I just think it looks different than what we have been used to for 30-40 years. In a year, I think its a non story.

Also all of this backlash is from 2 groups (you are living in the past by having an old logo and you ruined the best logo in baseball by making changes). Its probably true that right now that more than half of brewer fans fit into these groups so you are going to get backlash. you can't please everyone.

I think they are way too far into the process to make changes. I am sure all of the new merchandise is printed and sitting at Miller Park now. Its not changing. Also I don't get the backlash, minus that it is a little different that it was before. I would argue it now looks more like a glove without the white void between the m&B. I just think it looks different than what we have been used to for 30-40 years. In a year, I think its a non story.

Also all of this backlash is from 2 groups (you are living in the past by having an old logo and you ruined the best logo in baseball by making changes). Its probably true that right now that more than half of brewer fans fit into these groups so you are going to get backlash. you can't please everyone.

i8cVSFm.png

I do prefer the darker color scheme. The ball now looks more like a baseball. The original logo looks a little more glove like, as moving the ball to the center looks like it is on the heel instead of the pocket of the glove, and the wider 'fingers' of the m compensates better for it being a 3-finger glove. However I think those changes make the m and the b pop out better, considering to this day there are some who totally miss that from the original logo and think it is just a glove. As for enclosing it in a circle, just looking at how bad the Milwaukee Brewers lettering around the original logo is, having a circle to guide them is a good idea.

I could be wrong, but I don’t think anyone is taking issue with putting the large circle around the ball-and-glove. I think some people are more upset with just the tweaking of the ball-and-glove itself. . . Am I correct ?

I actually wish the laces on the baseball were red and not yellow. To me, it seemed red in the original leaked logo on the Topps baseball card . . . Although I know that image was not clear and I could be wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Few Things:

The old logo did not look like the ball was being caught in the pocket of the glove...or even close for that matter. All people ever said (non Brewer fans) was who catches a ball in the heel of the glove.

The circle will not be around the logo on most things. While the circle will be in the official logo it will only be a jersey patch for the most part. Hat and many other things will just be the logo alone.

Archived