Brewer Fanatic

Brewers Rebrand [Latest: New Logos and Uniforms Officially Unveiled ~ Post #302]

IntentionalHBP

Funny enough I think the new one looks legit and the old one looked like a Chinese knockoff drawn up by a 8 year old. I actually like the two seams versus whatever it was before, I don't mind centering the ball in the 'b', and I will get used to the connection of those two letters.

The decision to put it in the circle and add the letters is really strange. It looks silly and is so repetitive. Why even bother for something no one is actually going to like/prefer and will rarely be used. I am sure it will be like most other teams that have the same freakin' logo design and it is just a sleeve patch. Everything else uniform related lacks the circle.

Of course as I mentioned before the Astros have the same exact logo design, but their card is the simplified version...without a circle. It is kinda strange ours has it. Not sure if that means something or not.

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The decision to put it in the circle and add the letters is really strange. It looks silly and is so repetitive. Why even bother for something no one is actually going to like/prefer and will rarely be used. I am sure it will be like most other teams that have the same freakin' logo design and it is just a sleeve patch. Everything else uniform related lacks the circle.

This is all just speculation on my part, but I think they may have done the circle and Milwaukee Brewers letters to pay homage to the very first primary logo in team history (Brewers primary logo from 1970 to 1977):

milwaukee_brewers_1970-1977.png

I look at this as a similar thing to the fact they had the following primary logo for 18 seasons (Brewers primary logo from 2000-2017):

milwaukee_brewers_2000-pres.png

Even though that was the primary logo for so long it was used far less often than the barley M logo on most of the team issued equipment and uniforms as well as fan apparel. The most annoying thing about it being the primary logo for so long was when there was some product that incorporated all of the MLB team logos that was the logo that typically represented the Brewers instead of the barley M logo (that obviously changed in 2018).

Of course as I mentioned before the Astros have the same exact logo design, but their card is the simplified version...without a circle. It is kinda strange ours has it. Not sure if that means something or not.

Here is my guess (again just speculation), the Brewers only sent Topps and others companies that needed to build next years product lines one single logo to use. In the case of the Astros, Topps just used the logo asset that looked the most ascetically pleasing on their card. In the case of the Brewers they may not have been given the full set of logo designs (maybe it wasn't even complete at the time they needed it), so they used the only Brewers logo they were given access to at the time they drafted their card set.

I would guess that leaked logo will end up being the "primary logo", but we will see much more widespread use of just the ball and glove part of logo.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Haha good ole barrel man. I hope he makes an appearance this year. That theory is possible.

That old primary logo debacle was part of why I found it a bit confusing they didn't just keep it simple. Of course at least it has the BiG in it...unlike that old primary logo that I am pretty sure only ever appeared on the away uniforms. The Brewers also rarely used it for anything else. But like I said I doubt it is common on anything major. Most of it will be the BiG by itself so I won't care too much.

This is all just speculation on my part, but I think they may have done the circle and Milwaukee Brewers letters to pay homage to the very first primary logo in team history (Brewers primary logo from 1970 to 1977):

milwaukee_brewers_1970-1977.png

great catch, didn't think of that, but its a perfect match and doubt that was on accident.

Is it just me or does the new Ball in Glove itself seem narrower? Doesn't look right...

The "M" looks more straight than the original, the prongs (if that's even what they are) don't look as curvy or arced, especially the one that forms the border of the glove.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

As brilliant as the original Ball and Glove logo is, I think that most casual baseball fans over the years never even realized that the Logo contained the lower cased letters M and B in it unless it was pointed out or explained to them. I loved the logo for several years as a kid until my Dad pointed it out, and then I loved the logo even more!

However, I hope that's not the reason for putting the Ball and Glove inside a circle and spelling out Milwaukee Brewers in font above and below. I think that takes away the "secret coolness" factor of the original logo.

1) It's about time they go back to the old BiG logo. It's not about 1982, it's about the fact that it is one of the best logos in American sports history.

2) I'd prefer the old colors, too, but navy/yellow (or gold, whatever you want to call it) is fine.

3) Love the classic BREWERS block lettering on the home pinstripe jerseys.

4) Guess I'm in the minority - grey road uniforms are awful. I'm ok with them, though. I wouldn't put up a stink.

5) I also don't like the little tweaks to the BiG. I understand the two seams instead of the one "S" seam, but it just looks weird after seeing the old version for so long. I also like the white webbing. Seem like tweaks just for the sake of tweaks. I'm sure we'd all get used to them, though. I definitely don't want a change to the overall shape of the logo and the circle with "Milwaukee Brewers" looks dumb. Again, though, I'll probably get used to it and won't care eventually.

6) Bernie Brewer is great.

I am both thrilled and relieved they are keeping the navy color, and I love the concept of the new logo overall. But I also wish they hadn’t tweaked the ball and glove part. The location of the ball has moved, and it seems odd to those of us who have the original image so passionately ingrained in our minds. I agree, the new ball-glove looks like a fake.

I pray we don’t have boring block letters on the new uniforms. I prefer the current font but want pinstripes added.

I am so tired of the 1982 look and colors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As brilliant as the original Ball and Glove logo is, I think that most casual baseball fans over the years never even realized that the Logo contained the lower cased letters M and B in it unless it was pointed out or explained to them. I loved the logo for several years as a kid until my Dad pointed it out, and then I loved the logo even more!

However, I hope that's not the reason for putting the Ball and Glove inside a circle and spelling out Milwaukee Brewers in font above and below. I think that takes away the "secret coolness" factor of the original logo.

I too did not realize it was an M and B when I was little but I’m not sure that is the reason for adding Milwaukee Brewers around it. The name has always been the Milwaukee Brewers and people didn’t connect the dots so I think people will continue to see the glove first.

I really think the logo is going to be more of an arm patch like the Astros, Nationals and many other teams have that has the city and team name around the primary logo.

I think the one thing we can agree on is that whatever they do, the vast majority of people will immediately hate it.

I will never tell anyone how they should feel, but I don’t get the hate. First of all, a team logo should give a team their identity. When you see the cubs “c” you instantly know it’s the cubs. The brewers have had basically 5 logos in 50 years. You don’t see iconic brands doing that, like Coca Cola, etc. My hope is to have one logo and stick with it. For better or worse, the ball in glove is forever linked to this franchise more than any other logo and I’m happy it’s back,

Funny enough I think the new one looks legit and the old one looked like a Chinese knockoff drawn up by a 8 year old. I actually like the two seams versus whatever it was before, I don't mind centering the ball in the 'b', and I will get used to the connection of those two letters.

Except the original was designed by an at-the-time 29-year-old graphic artist. It's the iconic look. This new one looks like the crappy $8 knockoff version.

The current uniforms, logo, & primary colors (of which yellow is not) I think are both classic and classy -- timeless in a good way, and with a little more modern yet conservative sensibility & character than the Dodgers' & Yankees' uniforms, which are utterly boring beyond belief (not to mention just plain simply and very, very old). The mid-'90s logo & uniform switch was to something more classic & classy -- a step in the right direction, though they didn't get it quite right on the first try.

If this leak is accurate, I shudder to think of what the whole package could look like. The old (and recently brought back) yellow instead of gold is a step in the wrong direction in my book. New is intriguing but it's neither necessarily nor automatically good. Can collared jersey shirts be far behind? And shorts instead of pants? Ugh.

The circle with plain lettering inside? Heck, the font inside the circle with the barrelman logo in it would be far better -- and I'm not at all a fan of that kind of circle-enclosed look to the logo in the first place.

Except the original was designed by an at-the-time 29-year-old graphic artist. It's the iconic look. This new one looks like the crappy $8 knockoff version.

Yet he doesn't even know how baseball stitching works.

It isn't the iconic look. 9/10 people who aren't a Brewers fan don't even think there is a change outside of the color. Heck half the Brewers fans I have talked to about it didn't even see the differences until pointed out. They are so minor more than 10 feet away you probably can't even tell. I just don't think it is much of a disservice to the logo and probably better they didn't just bring back the old one...talk about lame/boring. I think they did a pretty good job making some minor tweak to make it look a bit more crisp.

I am not too concerned about the jerseys soon to come. Some seem pretty obvious. You got the home white with navy pinstripes, there will likely be an alternate navy like there is now, I would guess a gray away jersey, and I would imagine the true retro stays in circulation. I would guess they all have the same block lettering...no squiggly cursive. Maybe there will be another alternate jersey that is a bit more bold, but they may wait till the mass purchase of the new jerseys (notably the home pinstripe) before throwing another jersey into the mix.

Seemed kind of inevitable looking back that they would alter the BiG logo. I always said it seemed real strange to casually add and make the retro logo the primary logo and THEN do some big rebranding announcement. Now even the navy retros they have done in years past are going to be altered, technically.

I think the one thing we can agree on is that whatever they do, the vast majority of people will immediately hate it.

I will never tell anyone how they should feel, but I don’t get the hate. First of all, a team logo should give a team their identity. When you see the cubs “c” you instantly know it’s the cubs. The brewers have had basically 5 logos in 50 years. You don’t see iconic brands doing that, like Coca Cola, etc. My hope is to have one logo and stick with it. For better or worse, the ball in glove is forever linked to this franchise more than any other logo and I’m happy it’s back,

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Yeah, franchises that don't have an identity continue to change their logos, colors, etc... It'd be great to get back to the ball and glove and leave the damn thing alone.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

To me the ball and glove is not about 82'. It is just one of the best logos in baseball and sports history. I am fine with them going back to it but with navy and yellow/gold, prefer it to the royal and yellow. I actually quite liked the M and barley wheat and will miss it. But the ball and glove is great.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

To me the ball and glove is not about 82'.

Isn't that done by now. Yes it was their only world series appearance, but this team has gone to the playoffs in 4 of the last 12 seasons. Yes still in the early to mid 2000's, i'd give you that if they did this it was to go back to the days of 82, but this franchise is making new memories. I agree with you this is about bringing back one of the best logos in baseball and not reliving the past.

Community Moderator

I do not want the Brewers to ever have a "timeless" look, we are not the Yankees and never will be. We do not have 20-some championships to remember.

Each uniform theme in Brewers history is associated with a specific era. The 80s are the classic look, the 90s are forgettable (both the look and the players wearing the jerseys), the 2000s-2010s are the Miller Park/Ryan Braun era. Even with the leak I still think there is no way they bring back uniforms that resemble the 80s. Even if they do pinstripes/block lettering I still expect solid navy blue home alternatives with cursive. Fans like options and not everyone likes the 80s look. But most do like the ball/glove. The Brewers know this. So I would be shocked to see an 80s-heavy redesign except for the ball/glove.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

My personal thought is "I don't care"

If it's the ball and glove with a bit of a different blue, I don't care. If the M and B are attached or not attached, I don't care. as long as the logo says "Brewers" and it's not a mish-mash of ugly colors that don't go together, I'm not going to get up in arms about it.

My personal thought is "I don't care"

If it's the ball and glove with a bit of a different blue, I don't care. If the M and B are attached or not attached, I don't care. as long as the logo says "Brewers" and it's not a mish-mash of ugly colors that don't go together, I'm not going to get up in arms about it.

giphy.gif

Each uniform theme in Brewers history is associated with a specific era. The 80s are the classic look, the 90s are forgettable (both the look and the players wearing the jerseys), the 2000s-2010s are the Miller Park/Ryan Braun era.

Wow, pretty harsh towards the 90s. They had some solid teams. Wasn’t it 1998 they printed playoff tickets before a miserable Sept? I still have them in my dad’s house. Jeff Cirillo, Fernando Vina, Mark Loretta, jeromy Burnitz, David Nilsson, John Jaha....all good players. Even Jose Valentin, despite his strikeouts and poor D, was good. We had solid bullpens. If we had any pitching at all, we might have had winning seasons

I do not want the Brewers to ever have a "timeless" look, we are not the Yankees and never will be. We do not have 20-some championships to remember.

Each uniform theme in Brewers history is associated with a specific era. The 80s are the classic look, the 90s are forgettable (both the look and the players wearing the jerseys), the 2000s-2010s are the Miller Park/Ryan Braun era. Even with the leak I still think there is no way they bring back uniforms that resemble the 80s. Even if they do pinstripes/block lettering I still expect solid navy blue home alternatives with cursive. Fans like options and not everyone likes the 80s look. But most do like the ball/glove. The Brewers know this. So I would be shocked to see an 80s-heavy redesign except for the ball/glove.

The opposite of timeless would be something along the lines of trendy (or at least mirroring the fashions of the time, however well or poorly). That's the farthest thing from what I want -- like the Mets clinging to black alternates years after black-as-primary proved to be the horrible idea it was (which the Marlins still haven't figured out, not surprisingly).

I don't want to be the Yankees. But I want a uniform that looks good & classy no matter the era and the change of trends. That's "timeless" to me.

If a ball/glove logo is to be the primary, I'd still rather they mess only with colors, not the design itself (outside of the seams of the ball, which is minor enough to me that I don't care).

As for eras, the ball/glove logo-era uniforms had a mostly good run, all told, though many seem to forget that the mid-'80s (Lachemann & Bamberger 2.0 eras) were so atrocious that we earned the #1 pick one year -- a feat not duplicated since (in spite of the early 2000s bottoming out). Then the late '80s produced almost all winning years (thank you, Tom Trebelhorn, plus Garner's Year 1) and those uniforms lasted through the playoffs-near-miss in '92 plus Yount's 3,000th hit year. The uniforms so many didn't like in the '90s lasted only 6 years total (3 years of the initial version that included green as an accent, 3 years of the quietly revised version), not the whole decade.... No particular agenda to this paragraph, just that it's fun looking back & worth noting a few details that some here on this board remember first-hand and some may not have even been alive for.

Archived