Brewer Fanatic

Brewers Rebrand [Latest: New Logos and Uniforms Officially Unveiled ~ Post #302]

IntentionalHBP

Part of the reason the Blue Jays' retro-direction on their latest uni works so well is that it's still basically the same as one of their classics BUT some of the curved nature of the lettering on the jerseys got sharpened up, as did (ever so slightly) the logo. That's really most of it.

To whomever was complaining about gray road uniforms being SO plain.... of course they are! That's just how they are, and every team has them -- it's not just the Brewers. That's one of the main reasons why teams use other-colored alternate jerseys -- dating back to the Cubs in the early '80s, when they started wearing royal blue alternate jerseys. White at home & gray on the road are one of MLB's most timeless & fundamental of traditions when it comes to uniforms.

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MLB better move on and let go of traditions before more people stop watching the game. Being classic and boring should not be a requirement/expectation. No, I am not saying uniforms will make people stop watching the game. That being said it is like so many other things in baseball where you are expected to be a certain way cause it is always like that. Why be like every other team? Oh, that's right, cause being different would just be wrong.

Which makes me think about how many want/think the navy uniforms as the main jersey. Isn't that kind of impossible as it isn't white. The only jerseys that aren't white are Mets/Giants, they have a cream-like white. Of course there is also the rumor of every day pinstripes which is pretty much impossible with a navy jersey anyway.

Navy pinstripes on a white jersey? That seems like the more likely outcome here.

uniforms should be boring. The brewers current ones are fine, they have just been around for 20 years and probably need some freshening up. They aren't classic ones like the cubs, yankees, etc .

When teams try to standout you get stuck with monstrosities like the marlins old one or the diamondbacks current ones.

7 teams already put a logo within a circle with the City/Name. If accurate that is incredibly unoriginal and absolutely stupid to not just leave the BiG by itself.

However, if you look at the article take note of the Astros logo. Their primary logo is much like the Brewers one (circle and all), but their card mock up has the simplified ‘H + Star’ logo. So the card mock ups don’t really make sense.

The things that stand out to me as different from previous versions of the ball and glove logo are the following:

1) The ball is different. It has two curved lines depicting the baseball seams as opposed to the single “S” shaped line in the original ball and glove logo. The ball is also more centered to the middle of the “b” (or palm) where as the previous one was aligned closer to the top of the circle in the “b”.

2) The webbing of the glove between the “b” and “m” is now yellow instead of being no color (or the background blue color) two years ago and white this past season. The top of the “b” and “m” are also now connected with both blue and the yellow when in the past it was only connected by the yellow outline.

Small differences, but it is definitely a different ball and glove logo from anything I’ve seen before.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

However, if you look at the article take note of the Astros logo. Their primary logo is much like the Brewers one (circle and all), but their card mock up has the simplified ‘H + Star’ logo. So the card mock ups don’t really make sense.

For those who are curious here is the article the image was captured from: 2020 TOPPS OPENING DAY BASEBALL FOCUSES ON FUN OVER FANCY

Not just “at Night” anymore.

There is a trademark indicator next to that logo, so this could very well be the real deal. It looks like a pin back button from the 1980s, or an enamel painted commemorative coin.

My first impression, too.

Would prefer just the updated (nice observations, Eye Black) ball & glove without the circle & text, but it seems like that is the direction MLB is heading. NBA has a bunch of teams with the name-in-circle-around-logo format also. NFL has none though.

Community Moderator
So it’s basically just a darker blue with an awful font. Total garbage but hey, 1982!

Yep, they took the Houston Astros logo and dropped the ball and glove in it.

I’ll hold judgement until the unveiling...knowing the Brewers there are probably about 10 versions of this.

Initial impression is I don’t like the modifications to the logo. Keep the logo the same (in navy or royal) but modify the uniforms. This feels like a tweak for the purposes of a tweak.

Agree. If they are going to revert to the old logo and make changes do it in a way that provides tangible some positive value. This is just a distracting change, one that is subtle but noticeable that it registers to your brain as a cheap knock-off of the Brewers' logo.

If there were something outright ugly or inconsistent with the old logo I could see correcting it, but this current leak looks a generic and fake, and worst of all, stale out of the gate.

Although maybe this is just a non-controversial transitional piece while they figure out what the new real rebrand is?

If they go back to the old logo as the primary, I'm totally good with it. It is an iconic logo that they never should have abandoned, in my opinion.

For those saying it's too cartoony, or that it is continuing to ride the coattails of the 1982 team, you do realize that you are cheering for a team playing a GAME, and that baseball, more than any other professional sport, celebrates history and tradition.

Is it just me or does the new Ball in Glove itself seem narrower? Doesn't look right...

Yeah, it looks like a knock off of the original you’d buy on an imitation jersey from China for $8 on eBay.

I’d prefer they didn’t change a thing, but not surprised they did and wouldn’t be totally opposed to a tweak if it was done well. But somehow, the things they changed make the new logo look less updated and more...just... Wrong. Off. Cheap.

I am not Shea Vucinich

Is it just me or does the new Ball in Glove itself seem narrower? Doesn't look right...

Yes...it feels like the logo has been stretched.

If this is the new logo, hopefully the Brewers recognize after a season that they didn't need to modify the ball and glove at all, and return to its original form. Much like the Tigers did a few years back when they enlarged the D on their caps to the extreme and fan outrage made them change after one season.

Archived