Brewer Fanatic

Brewers Rebrand [Latest: New Logos and Uniforms Officially Unveiled ~ Post #302]

IntentionalHBP
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Surprised with some being annoyed or upset with the Brewers marketing the rebrand as building it around the city and fans. It’s a highly successful marketing strategy. Goes right with all their themes for their commercials. It is really the exact same things the Bucks did when they had an amazing role out. They made it all about the city, tradition, spirit of Milwaukee. Was not shocking at all to see Brewers do the same thing. From a marketing standpoint, I feel Wisconsin sport fans tend to have a strong affiliation and like to identify with our teams. Nothing wrong with that or marketing around it. Milwaukee Bucks really emphasized since Pete Fegen came in that it’s not about just improving the Bucks but rebuilding the city and bring back that city pride. Brewers followed suit. Kind of like a Make Milwaukee Great Again campaign. I use to write commercials and market coming out of college and the strongest and deepest response comes from finding away to create an emotional response and connection to your target market. Brewers do awesome with that! After I watch & listen to CC for 2 minutes on all those commercials I feel more Wisconsin & Brewer Pride. I’m a sucker for that stuff though. Not all are.

Bringing the trendy “Cream City” theme into the mix was great idea. Mixing the old yellow with the newer navy is unique color scheme that is not often see in the pro sports world. The Ball in Glove is the logo imo the majority (at least 51%) of fans identify more with. The fonts look great. I won’t be buying a jersey for 350-450 anytime soon but I def will buy some reasonably priced apparel! I love what they did!

I'm not opposed to them trying to further connect their franchise to the fanbase. I just think they were finding that connection in places where there was none.

Specifically...The change to the ball in the new BiG logo is being sold as a three panel ball that represents the fans, the city and the state. It's just a more realistic baseball. I could draw a stick figure and say it represented my hunger for a grilled cheese sandwich, but nobody would think that by looking at it. Same as the three panel ball. It doesn't represent something if only they say it does.

Same with the M and B being connected in that logo at the top of the glove webbing. That line that now connects the two letters is supposed to represent a connection between the fans and the team. It's just a glove design that they liked better than the original. Again, nobody sees that glove webbing and reaches the conclusion that the Brewers are trying to make. It's like if a stoner were studying the back of his hand and thought he found the meaning of life.

That's the cheeseball stuff that is eyerolling. The jerseys and logos are fine. Probably something for everybody.

Occasionally I have to logo design for my company and you should hear the stuff I come up with in order to "sell" an idea. I just want stuff to look cool and convey a message. It's the marketers that add the nonsense descriptors.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw this review Jim and thought of your post instantly, I am sure you will love it

https://radiomilwaukee.org/story/arts-culture/grading-the-brewers-new-logos-and-uniforms/

The “M” and “B” are now connected, a detail which I initially disliked before learning that it is meant to represent the connection between the city and the team and now my heart is full.

(they wouldn't do it if it didn't' work on some people)

Personally I agree with you, not every color and part of the logo needs to mean something. We all know they changed the logo up just a little to try to get people to not just keep on wearing the stuff they already bought and that is valid. The brewers are spending alot of money to make this change, including updating every sign at miller park and just paying the fees for the company they hired to make the change. I also wonder if MLB get a cut, similar to a franchise relocation fee.

Y'all are getting past "Yelling at a cloud" level. I mean come on...complaining about how they explained changes? That should not bother you.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of it is partially true. They put some incredible thought in the logos...most notably the bricks in the road logo and the royal ring in the official logo.

Y'all are getting past "Yelling at a cloud" level. I mean come on...complaining about how they explained changes? That should not bother you.

You are unqualified to tell me what should and should not bother me.

I saw this review Jim and thought of your post instantly, I am sure you will love it

https://radiomilwaukee.org/story/arts-culture/grading-the-brewers-new-logos-and-uniforms/

The “M” and “B” are now connected, a detail which I initially disliked before learning that it is meant to represent the connection between the city and the team and now my heart is full.

(they wouldn't do it if it didn't' work on some people)

Personally I agree with you, not every color and part of the logo needs to mean something. We all know they changed the logo up just a little to try to get people to not just keep on wearing the stuff they already bought and that is valid. The brewers are spending alot of money to make this change, including updating every sign at miller park and just paying the fees for the company they hired to make the change. I also wonder if MLB get a cut, similar to a franchise relocation fee.

Whatever they spent on the logo design firm and the signage and changing the stadium gift shops is a fraction of what Gerrit Cole would cost. They're getting off cheap, hoping we're distracted by heartstring videos and expensive new caps.

I think I've said my piece on this and I don't want to stomp all over everybody's joy. I like the cream colored jerseys and the barley ball patch. I just don't like the way we tend to celebrate everything they do, especially when I see some things as hamfisted and transparent marketing.

lol

LIKE, no wait, LOVE!

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Yah, I totally agree.

Lucky for you I didn't say that :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing

Do they have more hoodies in the store vs what is available online?

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Not a bat

Ua2FG43.png

Still think it is, but respectfully view your opinion...

In His original design, the bat is seen better. It would have been really easy to just skip the white spacing between m and b and put the two letters together; had to be something more. This guy was in art design, and he was looking for added meaning in his work, got to think..

No handle, not a bat, sorry...

Oh, ok... we'll go with your very literal interpretation of the looks of these baseball objects.....

Not a baseball then either. The lines of a baseball do not move that way.

Not a glove either. Gloves have four fingers.

And the bat is lacking a handle and knob.

They work well together, though.... classic Brewers.

Haha, okay, it's obviously a baseball bat. :) This is one of the strangest hills to die on I've ever seen.

Just silly off-season talk... can't discuss a lot of team stuff yet.

I don't claim that the bat was planned to be in the logo and that I am 100% certain of it. Just to me it looks logical or rather so coincidental it probably was planned on purpose. Would have been easy to leave it out. And as we all know, the logo guy was looking for meaning on multiple levels.

Do they have more hoodies in the store vs what is available online?

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

i went yesterday and they have a very nice selection of hoodies. 60-80 bucks for most.

I have a facebook friend that went to name of the game yesterday and he was told that the new logo stuff is exclusive to miller park until December, so it about a week you will start seeing stuff in the stores.

Archived