Brewer Fanatic

Brewers re-signed RHP Deolis Guerra to a one-year contract

TURBO

Guerra spent nearly all of this season in the minors, posting a 1.89 ERA and 88/16 K/BB ratio over 66 2/3 innings at Triple-A San Antonio. He's now on the Brewers' 40-man roster.

Oct 18, 2019, 12:19 PM ET

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Potential cheaper replacement for Junior Guerra if he can carry his 2019 AAA success forward?

Good AAA numbers, but poor MLB (only 90+ IPs) numbers. He seems like a last guy in the pen type. Probably not going to make the 26-man roster unless they can keep 14 pitchers and then only if Wahl-Black-Burnes and others fail in spring training.

Potential cheaper replacement for Junior Guerra if he can carry his 2019 AAA success forward?

Junior Guerra isn't going anywhere. He had a very nice season.

Guerra is going to make between $3.5-4M in arby. It depends on other re-signs to see if he's worth the money. He did have a very good year and bringing him back would help solidify the pen.

Will still be difficult to make this team with others like Faria, Black, Junior Guerra, Taylor Williams having no options and only 8 total spots in the bullpen.

While everyone assumes health and effectiveness, it is important to have viable depth throughout the year.

Some players in the minors now might not be an option until later in the season, but Deolis could be an option (if healthy & effective) at the start of the season if someone like Faria/ Black/ etc is not.

Will still be difficult to make this team with others like Faria, Black, Junior Guerra, Taylor Williams having no options and only 8 total spots in the bullpen.

While everyone assumes health and effectiveness, it is important to have viable depth throughout the year.

Some players in the minors now might not be an option until later in the season, but Deolis could be an option (if healthy & effective) at the start of the season if someone like Faria/ Black/ etc is not.

These days it is almost a promise someone will be injured to start the year.

• 2 weeks later...
I like this less now that I see he got a major league deal and a 40 man roster slot. The Brewers do have the room, but I would have preferred a better talent to use that 40 man spot with.

They do, but I think a 40 man roster spot could be better used. That being said, its easy to outright him off of the roster if a spot is needed.

• 2 months later...
Official: Guerra now in DFA limbo, per McCalvy

I expect Guerra to get through waivers pretty easily and stay in the system.

Nope.......

Surprising.

At the same time, the guy the Phillies are DFA'ing to make room for Guerra, J.D. Hammer, looks really intriguing.

https://thatballsouttahere.com/2019/05/25/phillies-call-pitching-prospect-j-d-hammer/

I kinda, sorta want him to end up a Brewer.

Official: Guerra now in DFA limbo, per McCalvy

I expect Guerra to get through waivers pretty easily and stay in the system.

Nope.......

Surprising.

At the same time, the guy the Phillies are DFA'ing to make room for Guerra, J.D. Hammer, looks really intriguing.

https://thatballsouttahere.com/2019/05/25/phillies-call-pitching-prospect-j-d-hammer/

Thought the same thing. I went, wait you added Guerra and DFA'd a 25 year old power arm with options remaining. A guy who worked quickly up to AA then got pushed into AAA and MLB too fast. He wasn't even bad in the MLB and they rushed him.

I'd claim him in a heartbeat. Bye Taylor Williams. We got a younger you.

Surprising.

Nobody claimed Hammer and he was outrighted. Often times surprised who clears and who gets claimed, would have thought Hammer would be a good depth guy to have at AAA to call up/down for some team out there.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/02/phillies-outright-j-d-hammer.html

Archived