Brewer Fanatic

Milwaukee Bucks 2019 - 20 Season Thread

homer
It’s great that the Bucks are so good and winning all the time but what a boring league. Why does anyone follow it?
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Its not more exciting than the NFL IMO, but a far cry better than the Jordan-era isolation offense where the superstars got fouls called when someone breathed on them. There is still some superstar preference, but it looks like basketball now instead of a one-on-one game with 8 guys watching on the court.

Frankly, I had stopped watching NBA ball for a number of years because the game was so poor and just watched NCAA instead. But with Giannis coming to prominence, I started paying more attention and noticed the difference right away. Not just Giannis or the Bucks, but the league in general plays a better brand of basketball.

The NFL has a better spread of superstars (and thus better parity). I'm not a fan of the LeBron-I-want-to-play-with-other-superstars free agency team building plans. Though he has been surprisingly ineffective at winning championships that way. For the talent he gathers around him, he should've won a lot more.

It’s great that the Bucks are so good and winning all the time but what a boring league. Why does anyone follow it?

The NBA is as exciting as it’s been in years, certainly more entertaining than the NFL. Why bother posting in here if you don’t follow it? Just craving attention or what?

I follow from afar for the Bucks is about it. I seriously wonder why it has such a strong following. The top teams will win just about every night and will meet up in the finals. What suspense is there with the league? It's not at all competitive for the most part.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

The NBA is as exciting as it’s been in years, certainly more entertaining than the NFL. Why bother posting in here if you don’t follow it? Just craving attention or what?

I follow from afar for the Bucks is about it. I seriously wonder why it has such a strong following. The top teams will win just about every night and will meet up in the finals. What suspense is there with the league? It's not at all competitive for the most part.

Doesn't this pretty much apply to NCAA football and basketball as well? Heck, 90% of college football games have ridiculously high spreads and aren't competitive at all and you go into every season knowing that OSU, Clemson, and whichever SEC team makes the playoff are about the only 3 teams with a chance to win it all.

Doesn't this pretty much apply to NCAA football and basketball as well? Heck, 90% of college football games have ridiculously high spreads and aren't competitive at all and you go into every season knowing that OSU, Clemson, and whichever SEC team makes the playoff are about the only 3 teams with a chance to win it all.

Yeah, it is why I don't follow much of either of those sports. Badgers are about it for me. I can't even remember watching the National Championship the past couple of seasons. It just is strange to me that a lot of these leagues like the NBA/NCAA have such a strong following with the way it is set up. I mean if you are not a fan of those top teams, why bother?

----

And to the NFL in that the 6ish teams with the top QBs almost always make the playoffs and are the top competitors. Granted, being a 1 game playoff creates more variance in the playoffs but for the most part you can predict over half of the teams every year to make it an out of nowhere team without an elite QB almost never wins. Keyword of course is almost, I know about the Eagles and some other one offs.

And it would apply to MLB in that the highest spending teams have a huge advantage every year and LA, NY, Bos make the playoffs virtually every year. But just in general that the whole financial structure of the league is totally unfair.

Basically, if you go into something with a negative viewpoint you can find negative things to say about everything. NBA has never been more popular, had more star players, overall talent, and or made more money than it is now. IMO the opening up of the rules from the mid to late 00s with 78-71 type scores in the NBA finals to what is now has saved and help the league tremendously.

Man the Bucks are so good. I know it's a long ways out but I'm going to really mad if they don't win the East if Giannis healthy.

Also, how ridiculous is LBJ to still be doing this at his age. Ditto for Luka with what he's doing at age 20. Saw a stat the other day that Giannis is having the best PER season in NBA history.....except Luka is beating this year at age 20.

Yeah, it is why I don't follow much of either of those sports. Badgers are about it for me. I can't even remember watching the National Championship the past couple of seasons. It just is strange to me that a lot of these leagues like the NBA/NCAA have such a strong following with the way it is set up. I mean if you are not a fan of those top teams, why bother?

Re: College

Depending on the year, just making the tournament is a success for a lot of teams. Similarly, winning a game or two is a big deal for others. Obviously, for a handful, anything other than a Final Four or a title is a waste of time. If you are a UW or Marquette fan and think it's a waste of time to cheer unless they win it all, you might as well read books instead of watching games.

Re: NBA

I think you are right and this is why ratings are down. There are only a handful of teams with realistic chances of getting to the finals. Thankfully the Bucks are one of them but if they were an 8th seed or something I would probably start watching come playoffs just hoping they could win a few games. As it stands, they have the best player in the world and win or lose he typically does something I haven't seen before on a basketball court. He is that good. Right now he is arguably the best offensive and defensive player in the league (apologies to James Harden but I did say "arguably") and the bizarre thing is that he has room to grow. I am genuinely curious to see if he can reach his ceiling. If he does he might be the best athlete the state has ever seen. He might be even if he doesn't.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Re: Homer: College:

I understand that is IS that way, I just wish it wasn't. I understand that just making the Rose Bowl generally constitutes a fantastic season for the Badgers and in some cases a Sweet 16 appearance alone is a successful season.

Just seems pretty unfair to me with all the cawing the NCAA does about fair play and competitive balance that basically 3 teams have a monopoly on national championships and the rest of us have been so conditioned to that just being the way it is that we've accepted the pats on the head and "good jobs" of just making a NY6 bowl or a Sweet 16 run.

Re: Homer: College:

I understand that is IS that way, I just wish it wasn't. I understand that just making the Rose Bowl generally constitutes a fantastic season for the Badgers and in some cases a Sweet 16 appearance alone is a successful season.

Just seems pretty unfair to me with all the cawing the NCAA does about fair play and competitive balance that basically 3 teams have a monopoly on national championships and the rest of us have been so conditioned to that just being the way it is that we've accepted the pats on the head and "good jobs" of just making a NY6 bowl or a Sweet 16 run.

Football could be rectified pretty easily by reducing the number of scholarships and/or forcing schools to guarantee that each player gets a four-year deal.

Basketball is a little harder since you really only need one or two elite guys to have a Final Four team and there are only a handful of them every year.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

This whole conversation is foolish. Every professional league is the same way. NBA, NFL, MLB, Premier League, whatever. You have the top handful of teams that are heavy favorites, then a group that can win it all if everything goes right plus a little luck, and then the Washington Generals of the league that are there so a regular season can exist.

Parity isn't an issue for just the NBA. As Brewer fans we should know that all too well. But if you enjoy basketball/NBA, you can enjoy just the entertainment without having something hinge on every game. Just as we can enjoy a Brewers/Reds game in May, knowing that one game won't mean much of anything. I mean, what's the difference?

More often than not, this just hasn’t been true over the past decade.

I enjoy the NBA a lot but over the last twenty years the 3 seed has won 4 times but otherwise it is always 1 or 2 seed winning. Probably the most surprising champion being Detroit (3) in 2004. The NBA certainly has spurts where one team consistently makes the finals like the Bulls with Jordan, the Duncan/Robinson Spurs, Bryant's Lakers, the Warriors and whatever team Lebron is on. Hopefully Giannis is next.

Last season and this season have been very enjoyable. Especially after enduring the Jason Kidd years.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little concerned about the 3pt defense though. I understand that you can't stop everything and the Bucks do a great job of limiting shots in the restricted area and not fouling. That's the basis of why they have the #3 defensive rating per cleaning the glass. It does feel like they've been over helping and taking unnecessary risks recently which have lead to open threes both from the corner and above the break. I'd like to think the Bucks will be able to make adjustments if they run into a FVV like hot streak like they did last season, but Bud isn't exactly known as one to make big adjustments.

I am looking forward to the Clippers game this week. Might be the first real measuring stick game of the season if PG and Kawhi both play.

I would say the Raptors, Celtics, and Utah games were good measuring sticks.

Those are all good teams. I don't think any of those 3 teams are in the upper echelon of NBA title contenders. Maybe I'll be wrong about those teams, but I would bet the game Friday v the Clippers will be the highest intensity of the season so far for the Bucks.

Pistons are trash, lol.

After another dismantling tonight, took a peek at the Bucks stats. Only Giannis is averaging more than 28 mpg, and he's only averaging 32 mpg. All these blowouts are making it easy to manage minutes and get the young guys a lot of time on the floor.

Big game Friday against the Clippers. I hope Kawahi doesn't sit out again.

I still find myself watching them and realizing they can go 13 deep without me shouting "He's useless, why is he out there!!!" 13!!! Yea, a player may have an off night, but every one of those guys brings something to the table.

I fully believe a lineup of Hill, Brown, Dante, Connaughton, Lopez with Ercan, Korver, Wilson and Bender could beat a few of the bottom teams in the east.

Bucks > Everybody but maaaaaybe LAL.

But their 3 pt defense sucks...I guess??

Seriously though - this is pretty damn impressive, even if it is just an early December regular season game.

I'm not even sure their 3pt defense "sucks". My consistent take since Bud has been coach is that watching their 3pt defense is unbearable and often I follow on gamecast even when I can get the game here in Utah. I can't watch them chase out after the shooter after the ball's left their hands possession after possession. Aggravating. I predicted last season that the season would end to a hot 3pt shooter and that was pretty much the case with that schmuck VanVleet. Sadly, if they can't shore it up when it matters, I feel 2020 will end the same way if an opponent is willing to jack em up. :shrugs: It sucks because a team getting hot on 3s because you basically let them ends up winning despite how much better Milwaukee is on paper.

Archived