Brewer Fanatic

Milwaukee Bucks 2019 - 20 Season Thread

homer
Maybe they'll figure it out and do what Toronto did to us when we went up 2-0 last year. I dunno. I really doubt it, though.

A lot of it is Miami, they are just really clicking now, they haven't lost in the playoffs.

More devastating long-term, I really do think this is the beginning of the end for Giannis in Milwaukee if they can't even get out of Round 2. If he won't sign the supermax after the season, you can kiss him goodbye. Then they have to decide whether to trade him or try to make one last run in 2021.

It would be ironic. He wanted Middleton and everyone else back, then trurn around and say sorry you guys suck I'm outta here. Especially ironic when you consider he's part of the reason they're losing.

He's part of the reason they're losing as far as the fact that he's on the team. But we all know what Giannis is. A medicore shooter, a meh free throw shooter, but a prolific scorer. The "wall" doesn't work with one guy like Klay Thompson on the team. I won't blame him for leaving if it's to pair with better firepower.

A wall in the paint shouldn't kill a team like it does to the Bucks. I don't pin much of this on him. They're just a medicore shooting team; they were all year if you look at the 3s. Giannis isn't a versatile enough player to carry a team to a title. He's an awesome player, but his offense never truly rounded out the way LeBron's did, where he became a good enough long range shooter that you have to at least respect him from out there.

When you play five out or 4 out, you aren't going to have the ability to have offensive rebounds. You simply don't have the bodies. Jack up a three and have everybody run back down the floor after missing. Miami went 17/45 from three point land. They almost made as many shots as the Bucks attempted.

The Bucks need a better floor general. Bledsoe isn't it.

The Bucks need a more consistent shooter. Middleton isn't it -- he just isn't as reliable.

The Bucks need another player who can play down low. Neither Lopez brother can do this consistently.

The Bucks need to start to be more dynamic on offense. Surrounding Giannis with four "shooters" isn't getting it done, either.

If Giannis leaves, I will lose a lot of interest in the Bucks since I am, admittingly, a fair-weather fan.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yea pretty much, they need more guys who can make something happen on offense. Not just be catch/shoot. Bledsoe can drive but he can't shot and can't shoot pull ups well. Middleton is good as a shooter, but can't really handle/drive all that well. Isn't quick enough to get stuff like that done. The rest of the guys are purely catch/shoot and their only ok at that.

They need a lead ballhandler who can shoot so they can run tons of Giannis ball screens. IMO they should still be running these plays with Mid or Bled as it's better than Giannis at the top of key vs 3 guys while everyone watches so it should create ball movement. But you're exactly right, they're greatly missing that skill set. Middleton is a good player and fit, but he's not quick or good enough dribbling to be that guy. Trade Bledsoe and everything else you can to get a legit modern PG who can shoot for next year, all in.

Middleton is an ideal 3rd option. They paid him to be a 2nd option for lack of choices. I don't blame them much since it was probably crucial to any shot at Giannis staying. But, as of now, the lack of a shot is hurting Giannis. I know he and LeBron aren't the same player, but he had a similarly weak jumper early in his career. It evolved in to being fairly solid and is a big reason he's been able to at least make several Finals with some extremely meh role players. You can't just let him stand alone at 18-ft and wall off the paint like you can with Giannis.

I agree with everything about the lack of a true PG though.

Yup, Middleton is a perfect 3 as he can't be the lead creator. Salary cap situation of the nba forces you to pay him that unfortunately.

Right, Lebron's shot was always his weakness too. Even at it's worse it wasn't anywhere near the problem is it is for Giannis. Like, Giannis can't even shoot a pull up jumper with how he shoots, formwise. Lebron always could even if he wasn't thaaat good at it. And then as you said, since LBJ at least had a good foundation for shooting he just kept getting better and better to now where you fully have to respect his shot from anywhere.

You can add up a lot of salary with Bled, Ersan, Lopi, and spare parts to fit one big salary back in a trade. Beal is going to the name to chase this offseason. Lots of Bucks fans will push Cp3 if OKC tears down, not my first choice but at this point I probably bite the bullet and do it if I can't come up with anything else, his contract is down to only 2 years left now. Load manage him all year to be ready for the playoffs.

Middleton is an ideal 3rd option. They paid him to be a 2nd option for lack of choices. I don't blame them much since it was probably crucial to any shot at Giannis staying. But, as of now, the lack of a shot is hurting Giannis. I know he and LeBron aren't the same player, but he had a similarly weak jumper early in his career. It evolved in to being fairly solid and is a big reason he's been able to at least make several Finals with some extremely meh role players. You can't just let him stand alone at 18-ft and wall off the paint like you can with Giannis.

I agree with everything about the lack of a true PG though.

Yeah, Parker was supposed to be that #2. Then I thought for a minute it could be Maker. It's not Middleton though. At least he's not the traditional #2. Not his fault, he's come back after signing better than ever and he can be a 2nd playmaker at times...for short bursts, but he's just not athletic enough.

Bledsoe is the guy who's most physically capable and even in game 2 we could see that. He could get to the rim almost at will. Dragic or Robinson can't defend him while he's probably the best option we have vs Dragic. But of course, counting on him is a shaky proposition at best as he seems to struggle with the pressure.

The Bucks are going to have to really be willing to either spend or they'll have to get lucky and find a star like the Spurs did with Manu or Parker if they're going to be able to ever get over that hump.

But that's not going to help us much now. For this series I'd just like to see the Bucks at least TRY to give the Heat different looks. Giannis isn't great on the log block, but at least put him down there once in a while and throw it down to him. He's certainly got the court vision to either get to the rim or find the open shooter once they collapse on him from down there. It's a helluva lot better than asking him to take on 3 Heat who are all well coached and who have scouted him well enough to know his tendancies.

I still think we have a decent chance to pull out this series...and I DO still think the Bucks are the better team. But even if they do and even if they CAN get past a Celtics team that looks better at this point than they did a year ago, it's hard to see them beating the Clippers in the finals. A LITTLE more realistic that they could beat the Lakers, but that seems like a long shot at well.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

I would love to see Giannis stay and then the Bucks could get a guy like Chris Paul. It sounds like he is not happy and perhaps a trade of some type might work.

[sarcasm]... and let's get Currie out of Golden State... Eastern Conference Super Team!!!!![/sarcasm]

I would take Beal over both Curry and Paul but that is just dreaming.

Giannis would be crazy to sign the supermax unless all he wants is the most money right now.

Imo the Bucks can't trade him either. You have to do something drastic now to take your shot next season. If he leaves so be it. Trading him for some guy and a pick isn't getting the Bucks a title. This is it. Next year is your last shot.

We're going to find out if Bucks ownership is really true to their word about doing whatever it takes to bring a championship home, which I really doubt. These billionaires didn't even want to pay for the new arena themselves and made the taxpayers flip the bill for it.

Curious about one thing. Before the season I said I considered Bud on the hot seat if the Bucks didn't win the East. Basically everyone jumped down my throat over that. I don't think there's any way he's fired given the bubble situation, but do you still think he's not on the hot seat? I sure as hell do. Let's assume Giannis does sign a supermax, which is a big assumption. I do not think Bud coaching in 2022 is anywhere near a given.

Archived