Brewer Fanatic

Milwaukee Bucks 2019 - 20 Season Thread

homer
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I wouldn't mind mixing in a bit of post-up when the threes aren't falling, but the old center-based post up offenses died long ago. If you can post up and make a basket 50% of the time, you only need to shoot over 33% average on a three pointer to have a better chance to score more (i.e. 50% at a 2-pointer and 33% at a 3-pointer both averages 1 point/shot).

They are running the best offensive scheme I can remember in Buck's history. They could shake things up a bit by throwing in some wrinkles like the occasional post-up, but not whole-scale changes.

I just don't feel real comfortable that this team gets past the Heat. Just a bad matchup. The best 3 point shooting team vs a team that doesn't defend the 3 very well. They've got two really good young scorers, they can defend Middleton with Butler, they've got one of the best long defenders to help slow down Giannis.

DiVincenzo, Matthews...I'd say Bledsoe, but I'm no longer holding my breath on that, but someone's going to have to step up and have big games other than those expected each game. And if we take a step backward this year...then Giannis and his contract situation becomes a whole lot more tenuous.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

I wouldn't mind mixing in a bit of post-up when the threes aren't falling, but the old center-based post up offenses died long ago. If you can post up and make a basket 50% of the time, you only need to shoot over 33% average on a three pointer to have a better chance to score more (i.e. 50% at a 2-pointer and 33% at a 3-pointer both averages 1 point/shot).

They are running the best offensive scheme I can remember in Buck's history. They could shake things up a bit by throwing in some wrinkles like the occasional post-up, but not whole-scale changes.

When does a little bit of post up offence translate to whole scale changes. I am not sure you understand that Giannis shoots 63,0% when shooting any shot other than a three point shot. Brooks shoots 54.9% without threes added in.

10 Giannis post ups equals 12.6 points per game. 10 Brooks post ups equals 10.9 points per game. Add in all of the better looks you will get when these two kick the ball out to the three point line. Our good three point shooters will look a lot better.

Take those 20 possessions and shot threes. As a team we shoot 35.5 percent. You will get 21.3 points. 23.5 is greater than 21.3. I will take those 2.2 points per game any day. Add in the better shots from three you will get from kickouts and I am sure you will agree it is a better way to maximize possessions.

He wasn't. Yet. the headline said he's the fifth person ever to be an MVP and DPOY both. But not in the same year. It was just referencing that he was MVP last year. in the article it states that he is the presumptive favorite to be the MVP. Those results haven't been released yet

When does a little bit of post up offence translate to whole scale changes. I am not sure you understand that Giannis shoots 63,0% when shooting any shot other than a three point shot. Brooks shoots 54.9% without threes added in.

10 Giannis post ups equals 12.6 points per game. 10 Brooks post ups equals 10.9 points per game. Add in all of the better looks you will get when these two kick the ball out to the three point line. Our good three point shooters will look a lot better.

Take those 20 possessions and shot threes. As a team we shoot 35.5 percent. You will get 21.3 points. 23.5 is greater than 21.3. I will take those 2.2 points per game any day. Add in the better shots from three you will get from kickouts and I am sure you will agree it is a better way to maximize possessions.

I do understand. I also understand that Giannis shoots at 35.6 percent from traditional post-up locations (3-10 ft). Most of his high percentage shooting come from dunks on drives. Not saying his post-ups don't end in dunks, but most of his layups and dunks come from his drives from the 3pt range. And certainly, that is the first offensive option for the Bucks. Plus, Giannis going inside is going to attract a lot of defenders.

Lopez similarly is at 42.6% in the 3-10ft range, however, he is 53.3% on hook shots (which is almost the exact point probability as 35.6% 3pointers).

That is at least as close as I can get to separate rebound put-backs, drives, and other lay-ups from their true post-up numbers.

I'd still start with their normal offense. But it would be nice that at times when we get a dry spell (and especially when Lopez isn't shooting well from deep), to give Lopez more post opportunities to shake it up. It would be interesting to see how the defense responds while having Giannis hover and watching for a back-door cut.

He wasn't. Yet. the headline said he's the fifth person ever to be an MVP and DPOY both. But not in the same year. It was just referencing that he was MVP last year. in the article it states that he is the presumptive favorite to be the MVP. Those results haven't been released yet

Yes. My bad.

Generally agree with where you're going and talking about. But it's not so much post ups we should be begging for. Though I grant it is a wrinkle to use as Brook is so good at it in certain matchups, like says against MIA if they're guarding him with Bam. But just overall ball movement, passing, and ball screens. Giannis as the dive man off a ball screen should be a mass staple. This stuff fits the modern game better and accomplishes what you want, Giannis feasting in the lane and less standing and watching from everyone else. While also being more efficient than posts, and less standing by everyone else than a post. Also it's Giannis getting a crease/opening to the lane instead of staring at 3 defenders and trying to barrel through.

Bucks are boycotting their game today. I don't know what we can discuss without getting political but please avoid getting political.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

This will accomplish....what exactly? They'll come out and play Game 6, or one would think, and what will be different other than they'll be up 3-2 instead of 3-1?

Honestly this entire team should have just stayed away from Orlando and forfeited the season because winning an NBA championship is clearly not at the forefront of their minds.

This will accomplish....what exactly?

We don't know. But the status quo, "show up, play the game, entertain the people", isn't resulting in change. These players are in a bubble, far away from home, Kenosha, wherever, unable to impact change. They all wanted to impact change and probably was the largest reason the bubble almost didn't happen in the first place. The players feel helpless from the bubble. Forget the game(s), I'd be surprised if the players didn't collectively quit on the season and get home so they can actually act on change instead of hoping some slogans on the courts and their jerseys do the trick.

because winning an NBA championship is clearly not at the forefront of their minds.

I think that's the point.

Then why come in the first place?

This is a weird take and it feels weirder explaining it. They came to play in June, then a guy was shot in Kenosha on Sunday, the city that's on fire in the team's backyard. Given that the NBA is comprised overwhelmingly of the race at the forefront of the issue, it doesn't surprise me that they feel guilty and silly playing today, and see their position of privilege as one that can be used to make otherwise unaffected populations think a bit about what's going on. I am not going to waste any time validating or invalidating what they're doing or the merits of it, but it's not hard at all for me to understand why they would do something, and insinuating that it means they don't want to win a championship or something seems beneath a poster of your intellect.

Community Moderator
Regardless of your political affiliation or whether you agree with what the Bucks are protesting, this is a historic, watershed moment.

Yep. And this is certainly going to extend beyond the Bucks. The main question I have is if the Brewers will follow. I know other NBA teams will boycott.

Regardless of your political affiliation or whether you agree with what the Bucks are protesting, this is a historic, watershed moment.

Yep. And this is certainly going to extend beyond the Bucks. The main question I have is if the Brewers will follow. I know other NBA teams will boycott.

Hader says they'll discuss the topic of boycott. I think he meant that in terms of "Well I'm sure it will come up" rather that a sign that they might do it.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Then why come in the first place?

This is a weird take and it feels weirder explaining it. They came to play in June, then a guy was shot in Kenosha on Sunday, the city that's on fire in the team's backyard. Given that the NBA is comprised overwhelmingly of the race at the forefront of the issue, it doesn't surprise me that they feel guilty and silly playing today, and see their position of privilege as one that can be used to make otherwise unaffected populations think a bit about what's going on. I am not going to waste any time validating or invalidating what they're doing or the merits of it, but it's not hard at all for me to understand why they would do something, and insinuating that it means they don't want to win a championship or something seems beneath a poster of your intellect.

#SpotOn - Are we really having to explain it? I'm a fan of this basketball team, but my desires for their success on the court in no way is more important than their mental health as human beings. I can feel their words to the core of my being. They are absolutely torn about going to work today vs trying to make a difference in the world.

Archived