Brewer Fanatic

Milwaukee Bucks 2019 - 20 Season Thread

homer
FG attempts within 5 feet:

Last season: 2nd in NBA

This season: 29th

Saw this earlier, good pointing it out. As much as the hype last year was around letting it fly. The stability of having tons of points in the paint with top notch efficiency was crucial to have in your back pocket every night as variance happens on 3s. Bledsoe is good at this, but has been bad so far. Giannis, same as we've talked about. But Xs and Os mentioned here and the copying Tor D to stop this, have to have the motions and things just mentioned here as other ways to get creases to the hoop.

Yea, even during the season last year when they were cruising I said I hated Giannis with the ball in his hands at the top of the key. I'm really disappointed Bud hasn't (seemingly) changed the offense at all. Giannis should be roaming more without the ball. Swing it around until you get it to him in the post or slashing into the lane. He can even driver from further out once the ball moves around and he's not just standing still with a wall in front of him. Who knows, maybe Giannis is pulling a Rodgers and just winging it. Unfortunately, he doesn't have the feel for the game to pull that off.

They appear to be SO tight, starting with Giannis. They need to R-E-L-A-X. Either way, you can tell me not to panic, but I'm close. I don't buy the "working 3 guys in" theory. The other great teams are working in new players, doing just fine. Same with the Bucks last season- and they were dealing with A LOT more changes. New coach, new system, etc. NBA is not a league where a team gets hot late in the year and wins it all. Champs in this league do it wire to wire, and that's why my finger is hovering over the panic button.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Giannis is first player in NBA history with +200 points +100 rebounds and +50 assists in the first 8 games of a season.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

He's so ridiculous that his stat lines are kind of to just start blending in as expected and no big deal at this point. Keep in mind, stats are a bit inflated form what we've been accustomed to the last 20ish years due to pace and all that. But still, the guy is just ridiculous to watch. Still generally feel the general public isn't fully aware of the level this kid is at

That's a gut punch way to lose a game. Down 22 points, claw all the way back to get the tie with 8 seconds to go, then get the ball back with 2.3 seconds, and not only not get a shot off, but give them the ball with enough time to get off a shot as well.

I understand that Gobert is a huge defensive presence, and he doesn't just alter shots, but you have to be smart. If you can't get a shot off, don't give them an opportunity to win the game there.

A cataclysmic turn of events.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Pacers are down a bunch of guys tonight, including Brodgdon.

Bucks have gotten some breaks with guys resting/being out against them so far this season. I don't know if that's really influenced their record by much. I don't think the Bucks have really kicked it into high gear very often this season yet.

The Bucks who were down in the 4th quarter to the 5-10 Chicago Bulls and the 2nd half to the 4-10 Atlanta Hawks say "Hurry back, Khris."

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

The Bucks who were down in the 4th quarter to the 5-10 Chicago Bulls and the 2nd half to the 4-10 Atlanta Hawks say "Hurry back, Khris."

I think they're doing just fine without him. It's been nice to see guys like DDV get some extra minutes and perform well. This is still a 50+ win team without Middleton. They've still been winning comfortably. Not every game is going to be a 4 quarter blowout from beginning to end.

I will say I've started accepting that Giannis just isn't ever going to do much more than 70% at the FT line.

Few issues i see with the Bucks so far (other than relying on the 3 too much, which I've already posted about):

1 - They keep blowing big leads. Yes, this is going to happen in the NBA, there's so much talent. But lost two games already giving up 20+ point leads and have blown multiple double digit leads - last night being a prime example. Had the game in control, then suddenly it matters again. Same thing with the OKC game, they blew a 14 point lead in the last 4 minutes, but ultimately won.

2 - Where's the killer instinct? It seems like they let up a bit and try to coast when they get the leads, and it hasn't worked out that well. They're winning games, but games where they're leading by 10-20 points wind up as 5-8 point wins consistently so far. Yes, I know I'm complaining about winning but when you get the chance to basically end a game, they need to go for it. It's going to wind up costing them games and it's something they just can't afford to do in the playoffs.

3- Where's the defense? The overall defensive rating is good, but they're giving up well over 100 points a game. They've won 7 games giving up 110+ points and lost games giving up 126 and 131. I know scoring is up league wide, but it just seems like they're having the same issues they had against Toronto. They're collapsing WAY too much in the lane - which doesn't make much sense given Lopez and Giannis have been really good challenging and blocking shots this year - and when they do that, it's leaving shooters wide open.

Few issues i see with the Bucks so far (other than relying on the 3 too much, which I've already posted about):

1 - They keep blowing big leads. Yes, this is going to happen in the NBA, there's so much talent. But lost two games already giving up 20+ point leads and have blown multiple double digit leads - last night being a prime example. Had the game in control, then suddenly it matters again. Same thing with the OKC game, they blew a 14 point lead in the last 4 minutes, but ultimately won.

2 - Where's the killer instinct? It seems like they let up a bit and try to coast when they get the leads, and it hasn't worked out that well. They're winning games, but games where they're leading by 10-20 points wind up as 5-8 point wins consistently so far. Yes, I know I'm complaining about winning but when you get the chance to basically end a game, they need to go for it. It's going to wind up costing them games and it's something they just can't afford to do in the playoffs.

3- Where's the defense? The overall defensive rating is good, but they're giving up well over 100 points a game. They've won 7 games giving up 110+ points and lost games giving up 126 and 131. I know scoring is up league wide, but it just seems like they're having the same issues they had against Toronto. They're collapsing WAY too much in the lane - which doesn't make much sense given Lopez and Giannis have been really good challenging and blocking shots this year - and when they do that, it's leaving shooters wide open.

I think you're being a little too hard on them. Portland is a lot better than their record suggests even though they're off to a rough start. Also that was the second game of a back to back with travel in between, never an easy one to win. Anytime you can win both games of a back to back, it's a big plus. They controlled the game from the beginning, Portland went on runs from time to time to make it kind of close as happens in the NBA, but the game result was never really in much doubt.

I'd like to see better defense as well, but their style of play will always be conducive to high scoring games.

I think we will see some higher intensity efforts over the next month. When largely these same guys steamrolled through the regular season last season I think it's natural not to get up to a high intensity every night.

Re-match with the Jazz, Clippers, Lakers, Mavs, and 76ers are all on the schedule. I think we will see a different energy level in these games against high quality teams.

Not sure where to put this but the NBA is talking about changing their playoffs schedule, seeding and play in.

I don't really like this but I can see the appeal.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/report-nba-in-talks-to-alter-seeding-schedule-and-playoff-play-in/ar-BBXe5Vz?li=BBnba9I#image=BBWvSmf|2

I absolutely hate single game eliminations. Don’t like it for baseball and I wouldn’t like it for basketball. A three game series makes way more sense, but having the other teams rest for 5-7 games to complete these “play in” series’ wouldn’t make much sense either. I say leave it alone, but it seems like commissioners always like to tinker with things. So I’m guessing it’ll get changed. Having the 1-8 seeds making the playoffs is simple and easy in that all the teams can begin shortly after the conclusion of the regular season.

The in-season tournament is an interesting idea. I don't want to say it's meaningless, but I honestly don't know how much people will care about it. I'd like to see it get approved and see how much interest it gets.

I think the post-season play in idea is terrible. Adding a 9th and 10th team to the playoff format in the NBA is just a terrible idea. There's really only 2 or 3 teams in most seasons from each conference that have a legitimate chance of advancing, so adding 2 more teams to the mix just doesn't make sense at all. The NBA isn't like MLB where the goal is to just make the playoffs and get hot and any team can win it all. You have to go back 10 years to find an NBA title that wasn't won by either a 1 or 2 seed (and that was a 3 seed Dallas Mavericks). Giving a 33 - 34 win team a chance to get massacred by a 1 seed has no entertainment value at all.

Archived