Brewer Fanatic

Milwaukee Bucks 2019 - 20 Season Thread

homer
Community Moderator
The weirdest part of it to me is how soon the following season would start.

I wouldn't be surprised if they permanently push the season back so that the finals are in July or August. I doubt MLB would like it but having playoffs during MLB all-star week would be a winner. And it seems like MLB is headed to irrelevancy anyway so we're going to need something to fill the summer sports calendar.

For 20-21 by Christmas for sure. Maybe they take a page from the baseball playbook and schedule 2-game series against the same opponent? Unfortunately many of the initial creative ideas seem to be going away as we get closer to reopening.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wouldn't be surprised if they permanently push the season back so that the finals are in July or August.

I would be surprised - my guess is that most people in the league want the summer off, be it to spend more time with their kids who are off from school during the summer or to just enjoy the summer weather and not have to work.

All things being equal, if I had to work 9-10 months of the year I'd prefer it be September through May-June.

For what it's worth (probably not much), Giannis made a comment yesterday during the protests about his kid growing up in Milwaukee.

I don't think it means much. He's not going to say, "I want my kids to grow up in San Francisco and be safe."

Community Moderator
I wouldn't be surprised if they permanently push the season back so that the finals are in July or August.

I would be surprised - my guess is that most people in the league want the summer off, be it to spend more time with their kids who are off from school during the summer or to just enjoy the summer weather and not have to work.

All things being equal, if I had to work 9-10 months of the year I'd prefer it be September through May-June.

The players might think that but the owners have other ideas. Several are now on record expressing openness to a permanent calendar adjustment. If MLB has a work stoppage they can drop right in. Football can never be a summer sport but it should be no problem for the NBA.

• 2 weeks later...
Knicks have gotten permission to interview Jason Kidd for their head coaching job. Pretty obvious what they have in mind. And if I'm not mistaken last year they had the cap room for three max players and I don't believe they signed anyone of importance. So they would not only be able to court Giannis but also be able to ask "So who else could we sign to help convince you?"

Knicks have gotten permission to interview Jason Kidd for their head coaching job. Pretty obvious what they have in mind. And if I'm not mistaken last year they had the cap room for three max players and I don't believe they signed anyone of importance. So they would not only be able to court Giannis but also be able to ask "So who else could we sign to help convince you?"

I would imagine Giannis is smart enough to not want anything to do with Kidd ever again.

I would imagine Giannis is smart enough to not want anything to do with Kidd ever again.

Or the New York Knicks, ever.

If Giannis leaves Milwaukee it is because he believes he cant win a championship here. He will go to a place where he thinks he has a better shot - LA, Golden State, etc. I dont see anyway he see New York as that place

Just have to believe Giannis would want nothing to do with Kidd after seeing how a real coach operates. He has to see that. Doesn't mean he doesn't like him as a dude, but to tie your late 20s prime to him would be foolish.

Also, I have no idea how Kidd continues to fly under the radar in the current me too type climate. You'd think someone in NY media would have a blast blowing up that story.

Just have to believe Giannis would want nothing to do with Kidd after seeing how a real coach operates. He has to see that. Doesn't mean he doesn't like him as a dude, but to tie your late 20s prime to him would be foolish.

Also, I have no idea how Kidd continues to fly under the radar in the current me too type climate. You'd think someone in NY media would have a blast blowing up that story.

I remember Giannis being pretty outspoken about not wanting Kidd to get fired when Kidd got fired, but yes you would think now that he has been around Bud and Bud's system he would have no interest in going back to Kidd.

It is baffling that Kidd continues to stay in consideration for these jobs with all his red flags (domestic violence, DWI, orchestrating his exit from the Nets, not being able to "unlock" Giannis, etc).

Giannis was outspoken because he is a loyal dude which bodes well for him staying with the Bucks.

Yeah...but Giannis wasn't really outspoken about it. Kidd talked to Giannis after he was told he was going to be fired, but before it actually happened and HE'S the one who told everyone how Giannis was willing to go to the front office over it.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Giannis was not outspoken. Giannis said it made him "uncomfortable" publicly.

Jason Kidd proceeded to leak what Giannis said in a private conversation to the media.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2755824-giannis-antetokounmpo-says-jason-kidd-firing-made-him-feel-uncomfortable

"It's kind of uncomfortable, especially for a guy like me that is—as I said, one of my characteristics is that I'm being loyal to the people around me," Antetokounmpo told reporters. "That's one of my characteristics, but it's kind of uncomfortable knowing before it happened."

Kidd told ESPN's Ramona Shelburne that Antetokounmpo called him upon learning of his dismissal, offering to go to ownership on his coach's behalf.

"He called me and said, 'Coach, this isn't right what they're about to do, but [they] are gonna let you go,'" Kidd said.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Schedule is out.

Fri., July 31 – Boston, 4:30 p.m.

Sun. Aug. 2 – Houston, 7:30 p.m.

Tue., Aug. 4 – Brooklyn, 12:30 p.m.

Thu., Aug. 6 – Miami, 3 p.m.

Sat., Aug. 8 – Dallas, 7:30 p.m.

Mon., Aug. 10 – Toronto , 5:30 p.m.

Tue., Aug. 11 – Washington, 8 p.m.

Thu., Aug. 13 – Memphis, TBD

https://www.foxsports.com/wisconsin/story/the-milwaukee-bucks-are-back-nba-releases-8-game-schedule-giannis-antetokounmpo-062620?utm_campaign=share_buttons&utm_medium=fscom&utm_term=post&utm_content=return_visit&utm_source=share_fb

Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

• 2 weeks later...
The NBA is not really endearing itself to me with players whining about (perfectly fine) Disney hotel rooms and food that lots of people eat everyday. Not sure what they were expecting to happen there. I don't have an issue with them being annoyed with the accommodations or food, but it would seem like a better idea to keep that in house and not complain about Disney resorts that many people save years to spend a few days in -- while many of those people have lost jobs or family members.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
The NBA is not really endearing itself to me with players whining about (perfectly fine) Disney hotel rooms and food that lots of people eat everyday. Not sure what they were expecting to happen there. I don't have an issue with them being annoyed with the accommodations or food, but it would seem like a better idea to keep that in house and not complain about Disney resorts that many people save years to spend a few days in -- while many of those people have lost jobs or family members.

It was like four guys. If this turns you off my guess is you weren't all that interested in the first place. There were just as many guys saying they had it much worse growing up.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Class privilege is definitely a real thing. These guys have such a disconnect with how the 99% of us live. There is nothing wrong with those Disney hotel rooms from the pictures they posted, and many middle class families would save for years to stay in one as you say.

I know these guys are used to a certain standard of living and I don't expect them to change their minds, but yeah I agree, keep it to yourself.

It was like four guys. If this turns you off my guess is you weren't all that interested in the first place. There were just as many guys saying they had it much worse growing up.

It was more than four guys and given that they'd been there for one day, and one of them is one of the biggest stars in the league, I'd say that's significant.

I also didn't say that it "turned me off," I said it wasn't endearing and that it was a bad look for the league and amazingly tone deaf. I didn't call for a boycott of the league.

What's odd, though, is that JR Smith is one of those guys who had it a lot worse.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Citing past struggles, Bucks star Giannis Antetokounmpo won't complain about NBA's Orlando bubble conditions. "I'm happy that we're back playing basketball, something that I love doing, so there's nothing really to complain about," he said.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Archived