Brewer Fanatic

Milwaukee Bucks 2019 - 20 Season Thread

homer
Yeah, I don't think anyone is stating for certain that Giannis wants to leave, I just don't think we have any idea of anything until the ink is dry. I'm long past ever taking professional athletes at their word no matter how sincere they seem.

Being able to offer him the most money just isn't as important as we'd like it to be. He's Giannis. He can go to L.A, build his own brand and make a fortune just off endorsements in California if he really wants to.

I think I have an idea if Giannis wants to go or stay. I do not know him personally, but I have watched his behavior for a number of years. He is a very honest person, anyone disagree. He says what he thinks without being a jerk, anyone disagree. He likes his chances of winning with the Bucks (signing Kris, Brooks long term and making move like signing Mathews and Williams short term), anyone disagree.

He is not a pampered athlete. He is a hard working man who wants to excel to his maximum limits and expects his colleagues to do the same. Everyone around has exceled, mostly because of his tremendous example of true leadership.

I will trust him because I trust what he has done in the past. I believe he will resign, 98% chance. Something really weird could happen, like everyone in Milwaukee contracts the Covid 19, and he gets out of Dodge, That is not going to happen, so I will trust in Giannis because of his outstanding character.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, I don't think anyone is stating for certain that Giannis wants to leave, I just don't think we have any idea of anything until the ink is dry. I'm long past ever taking professional athletes at their word no matter how sincere they seem.

Being able to offer him the most money just isn't as important as we'd like it to be. He's Giannis. He can go to L.A, build his own brand and make a fortune just off endorsements in California if he really wants to.

I think I have an idea if Giannis wants to go or stay. I do not know him personally, but I have watched his behavior for a number of years. He is a very honest person, anyone disagree.

I don't think he's a dishonest human being, but that doesn't mean that his feelings or mind doesn't change over the 2+ years he'll have had to decide if he wants to stay or if he wants to leave.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

I think the concern is that the immense pressure he will receive from other superstars in the league that he could join a superteam and dominate the league for 5 years. Lets me honest, Middleton is a nice player, but he is not a superstar. If the season doesn't start up, it will be a shame that the bucks will not have a chance to prove that you can win in Milwaukee. Even if the season starts, with this long layoff, I think its going to be a toss-up on who wins it all.

I would fully expect, Giannis will not sign a super-max this summer and wait it out.

I think the concern is that the immense pressure he will receive from other superstars in the league that he could join a superteam and dominate the league for 5 years. Lets me honest, Middleton is a nice player, but he is not a superstar. If the season doesn't start up, it will be a shame that the bucks will not have a chance to prove that you can win in Milwaukee. Even if the season starts, with this long layoff, I think its going to be a toss-up on who wins it all.

I would fully expect, Giannis will not sign a super-max this summer and wait it out.

I think you could make a legitimate argument that winning it all would make him more likely to leave. (Not that I wouldn't still take a championship!)

No unfinished business, nothing left to prove in Milwaukee, etc.

I don't get all the Giannis - contract talk about him wanting to leave. He seems to love his coaches, he seems to love his teammates, he seems to love Milwaukee, his family seems to call Wisconsin home. I don't recall him saying he would like to leave. Milwaukee can offer him waaaaay more money than anyplace else. This is not anywhere near what KAJ wanted to do in the 1970s. I see him staying, being rich, and being happy competing for multiple championships in Milwaukee with Bud, Kris, Brooks and the rest of the boys. My opinion, I really don't want to argue with anybody.

Two things.

1. I don't think anyone is saying that Giannis wants to leave. But if he feels the Bucks can't win a championship with the team they've built - he might consider making a move.

2. I think a lot of this is simply people making money -- float ideas and stories and so forth to get clicks. It works. The amount of Anthony Davis stories last year was ridiculous. And the LeBron ones the year before.

Let's face it - California is a way bigger market than Milwaukee, and it gets clicks and views and sells papers to push the narrative of Giannis coming out there. You'll see the same thing coming from NY and Miami and wherever as well.

There hasn't been a single Anthony Davis story this year though, and he is a FREE AGENT THIS SUMMER.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

1. I don't think anyone is saying that Giannis wants to leave. But if he feels the Bucks can't win a championship with the team they've built - he might consider making a move.

2. I think a lot of this is simply people making money -- float ideas and stories and so forth to get clicks. It works. The amount of Anthony Davis stories last year was ridiculous. And the LeBron ones the year before.

Let's face it - California is a way bigger market than Milwaukee, and it gets clicks and views and sells papers to push the narrative of Giannis coming out there. You'll see the same thing coming from NY and Miami and wherever as well.

There hasn't been a single Anthony Davis story this year though, and he is a FREE AGENT THIS SUMMER.

Davis wanted to get to LA - and has already done so. Thus, the fan base isn't hoping and praying it's going to happen. And, even though he's a free agent, I believe most people think AD is returning to the Lakers. So the drama is kind of been sapped from it all.

Durant was a guy who was a FA last off season - and the speculation was pretty crazy all year. Why? Because there were a lot of signs pointing to him leaving. Not the same for AD.

The 'Giannis wants to leave Milwaukee' talk is something that will garner a lot of steam if he decides against signing an extension. Normally, you wouldn't hear much about that kind of thing - except there are no games, and people love to talk and throw out ideas and get some web traffic. Gets the speculation going earlier than normal.

Just my thoughts.

I think you could make a legitimate argument that winning it all would make him more likely to leave. (Not that I wouldn't still take a championship!)

maybe, the only thing I can say is that I think he legitimately likes it here. Its very common to see him in the community and he constantly donating his time and money to the community.

Nobody knows what he is thinking, including probably Giannis himself at this point. Personally though if he wins a title here and decides to go elsewhere, I'm OK with that.

Again, there's ALWAYS the caveat that these guys just change their minds. They get older and they can't be held to what they felt a year or two or more earlier.

BUT....everything Giannis has said was that he wanted to be like Dirk, Bird, Kobe, guys who played their entire career in one place and won Chips for that one team. And as long as the Bucks are a competitive team, he'll stick around.

So if the Bucks can win one with him either this year or next, that would seem to work in his favor.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Community Moderator
The fans/media of every contender want Giannis to leave Milwaukee and come to them. The Milwaukee media needs to take a page from the bigger cities and get to work with speculation of how every other superstar could pair with Giannis IN Milwaukee. Get that rumor mill going!!! Why hasn't anyone written about how Steph Curry could finish his career in Milwaukee???

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Get that rumor mill going!!! Why hasn't anyone written about how Steph Curry could finish his career in Milwaukee???

I was thinking of this same thing. Not the we could afford Curry and Giannis - but it would be a fun rumor to get going.

espn released its all time starting 5 yesterday, 4 seems to be no brainers:

Giannis, Kareen, Big O, and Sir Sid.

They picked Ray Allen over Marques Johnson. There was alot of back and forth between my friends last night, and was wondering what you guys thought. I picked Ray Allen, but was too young to see Marques in his prime playing for the bucks, only saw highlights.

Community Moderator

They picked Ray Allen over Marques Johnson. There was alot of back and forth between my friends last night, and was wondering what you guys thought. I picked Ray Allen, but was too young to see Marques in his prime playing for the bucks, only saw highlights.

Too young to have seen Marques myself (earliest Bucks memory is when they got Sikma), but from my impression it seems like the only thing Allen really has an advantage at is shooting. Ray's probably a better fit offensively with the other four because of the three ball, but Marques is better defensively as a true SF (where Ray/Sid gives you two SG) so I'd probably go with the original MJ.

Too young to have seen Marques myself (earliest Bucks memory is when they got Sikma), but from my impression it seems like the only thing Allen really has an advantage at is shooting. Ray's probably a better fit offensively with the other four because of the three ball, but Marques is better defensively as a true SF (where Ray/Sid gives you two SG) so I'd probably go with the original MJ.

I was interested and looked up Marques' advanced metrics this AM, and espn probably got it wrong. I understand its really hard to compare the 2. Since they played in different eras and Johnson was most often on good teams and Allen was on bad teams it makes it really hard.

Cancel the season, nobody cares anyway. Liable to be injuries at this point like when NFL/MLB players show up late to camp.

I sure don’t want the one title in Bucks history to have an asterisk, imagine other teams feel the same.

Cancel the season, nobody cares anyway. Liable to be injuries at this point like when NFL/MLB players show up late to camp.

I sure don’t want the one title in Bucks history to have an asterisk, imagine other teams feel the same.

Well I care and so do a lot of people I know. If the Bucks win a title I have no idea why there would be an asterisk. They were already the best team over the course of the entire season.

Others may remember 1971 :) I mean I don't because I was born in 1974 but I've sure read about it a lot. I sort of feel that way about this proposed baseball season way more than this basketball season. Enough of the season had been played as to where it was pretty clear who was going to make the play-offs and who the top teams were and the right teams enter a play-off tournament on equal footing where they are planning on playing full series. The problem with half or less than half a baseball season is we have seen huge surges and drop-offs in the second half of the season where teams that were locks didn't make the play-offs or the other way around.

Community Moderator

I care. Injuries are always a risk regardless of circumstances.

The Bucks already won an asterisk-less title in 1971.

Is there an asterisk next to the 1981 World Series winner or the 1999 NBA Champions?

There's no asterisk in front of the 2019-20 NBA champions whoever it may be. If we win it, we will certainly have legitimately earned it just the same as any other champion.

It sucks that the circumstances have changed, but that's the reality.

I'm not a huge fan of what the NHL is doing and I think it is sort of a joke but if my Blues win it again, you're damn right I'm counting it.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Is there an asterisk next to the 1981 World Series winner or the 1999 NBA Champions?

No fans, no home court, just some random fan-less arena at Disney world. I know some disagree vehemently but I’ve been alive 32 years, almost all of which the Bucks have never even sniffed a deep playoff run, and it would be a very meh feeling to me to not see it happen in our own state, much less our fans not experience it. The nostalgia won’t be there for the second title (if we ever had a chance) like it would be for the first.

This is nothing like 1999. It’s not even 2020 MLB which hasn’t begun, this is a cut off in the middle season that they’re desperate to finish.

No fans, no home court, just some random fan-less arena at Disney world. I know some disagree vehemently but I’ve been alive 32 years, almost all of which the Bucks have never even sniffed a deep playoff run, and it would be a very meh feeling to me to not see it happen in our own state, much less our fans not experience it. The nostalgia won’t be there for the second title (if we ever had a chance) like it would be for the first.

This is nothing like 1999. It’s not even 2020 MLB which hasn’t begun, this is a cut off in the middle season that they’re desperate to finish.

For me, I really don't care if they're playing on a specialy constructed basketball court in Greenland. Why would the Bucks of all teams get an asterisk next to their championship if we won it? We were already in line to get homecourt advantage throughout the NBA playoffs. We're going in at a disadvantage relative to where we were in early March, not an advantage. Do you consider next season to be asterisked too if it doesn't start until Christmas?

You are certainly entitled to feel however you want to feel about it, just understand that for many it will still feel euphoric and earned. And for those that it doesn't, nothing says we can't go back next year and win it all in front of a packed Fiserv Forum.

Archived