Brewer Fanatic

Milwaukee Bucks 2019 - 20 Season Thread

homer
My playoff confidence in this team has gone from extremely confident to pretty shaky. I don't think it's a given that they come out of the East. George Hill is going to be a pretty key player if we do make the Finals because I fully expect Bledsoe to be a complete catastrophe in the playoffs.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Lakers have double the free throw attempts of the Bucks. That's the difference in th game right there.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Verified Member

Any close Bucks followers concerned about JFG's point about Giannis not playing big minutes per game?

It seems kinda dumb to me, since he is 25 and his comparison was to a 35 year old LeBron who has played big minutes. If anything, Giannis should be fresh AND able to ramp it up via adrenaline if need be at that age while LeBron is more likely to get worn down playing 40+ MPG...

I think this team still needs a second star to be a title contender. To me, Middleton just isn’t a #2 on a title team. They are crazy deep which gains them a lot in the regular season, but gets kind of exposed in the playoffs when rotations shorten up.

Nice little rally near the end but they just put themselves in too big of a hole to recover early. The #1 seed in the East is not in danger of being lost but losing homecourt advantage to the Lakers in the Finals most definitely is.

With a back to back in Denver tomorrow and Giannis out again I'd be surprised if they aren't looking at a 3 game losing streak and 4 losses in 5 games.

I'm all about resting guys, but this is just flat out insulting. Thanasis Antetokounmpo in the starting lineup? Sterling Brown? Frank Mason in the rotation? This isn't the Bucks in Denver, this is the Herd.

I'm all about resting guys, but this is just flat out insulting. Thanasis Antetokounmpo in the starting lineup? Sterling Brown? Frank Mason in the rotation? This isn't the Bucks in Denver, this is the Herd.

They’re playing with good energy at least, keeping it close. Not going to have Giannis Thursday, and possibly Hill or Bledsoe either, so not the worst idea to rest everyone for the Celtics game.

Sunday Lineup!!!!

You would think the league would take exception to resting your entire starting lineup the same game. They’re starting to hand out fines in some cases this year.

Hey I thoroughly enjoyed watching that. Not an every day kind of thing, but that made me turn the Bucks on, wheras I’ve been too busy to watch them most nights. They all played well against a very good team, just ran out of gas.

Pretty much everything the "pundits" were talking about LeBron needing to do in order to win the MVP has happened over the last week. If the Lakers can win and LeBron plays well vs the Bucks and Clippers IF the Lakers finish with a comprable record to the Bucks, IF Giannis misses some time.

I'd bet if they voted on MVP right now it'd be an extremely close race. A toss up. As if the other 60 games this year are less important than the past 4-5.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Well, it's not like LBJ also wasn't incredible in the previous 60 games and his team wasn't playing at nearly the same level as the Bucks. All the while missing less games, which is valuable.

They'd played in the same number of games heading into the Bucks-Lakers game. It's not like Giannis was sitting out of every back to back like Kawhi last year.

And a lot of players are having great seasons. Luka, Harden, LeBron, AD is having a great season. Giannis is better offensively and defensively this year than LeBron. And if it wasn't close heading into the Bucks-Lakers game, it shouldn't be close now. The ONLY reason it'll be a close vote or would be as of today is because it's LeBron and he plays for the Lakers. Otherwise Giannis has been better than him in pretty much every facet of the game this season.

You're implying though that LBJ is undeserving. He is clearly having an MVP season in most years, just so happened Giannis was trumping him. LBJ's crazy good statline and crazy good advanced metrics for a team winning in the 60s is normally shoe in for MVP. Just so happened you had a guy slightly beating his stats while his team was going to win 70. All of a sudden their team Ws come back to even (which was Giannis' biggest advantage) and one guy ends up playing 10 more games than the other it makes perfect sense as to why he'd win.

Prior to Giannis missing these two games he'd missed 6 games. LBJ had missed 3. As of now it looks like that gap is going to increase as it's already up to 8/3.

Long story, losing head to head and then missing two more games while LBJ also beat another prime contender should narrow the gap. Giannis/Bucks just lost 3 games, with him missing 2. LBJ just won 2 vs the other two top contenders. Clearly that should narrow the gap.

You're implying though that LBJ is undeserving. He is clearly having an MVP season in most years, just so happened Giannis was trumping him. LBJ's crazy good statline and crazy good advanced metrics for a team winning in the 60s is normally shoe in for MVP. Just so happened you had a guy slightly beating his stats while his team was going to win 70. All of a sudden their team Ws come back to even (which was Giannis' biggest advantage) and one guy ends up playing 10 more games than the other it makes perfect sense as to why he'd win.

Prior to Giannis missing these two games he'd missed 6 games. LBJ had missed 3. As of now it looks like that gap is going to increase as it's already up to 8/3.

If I was implying it, I'll just state it. LeBron is undeserving of the MVP award this year. The Bucks record over the Lakers was NOT Giannis' biggest advantage. The fact that he was posting the single highest PER in NBA history was, the fact that he's got the highest defensive rating in the NBA, that he's averaging roughly 35/16/8 per 36 minutes...pretty much the fact that he's having one of the greatest seasons in NBA history was his biggest advantage over LeBron.

Saying what LeBron is doing would be good enough to win the MVP in MOST years is about as relevant as saying, "look at what he's doing....for a 35 year old." Giannis has been a significantly better player this season than LeBron.

Interesting that the lone "regular starter," Wes Matthews, did not play well.

Giannis should have at least five more triple-doubles. There were many, many times he would kick it out when he had nine dimes and somebody would brick a wide open three from the corner.

Most likely... Wes Matthews.

I'm sure Giannis would gladly trade an MVP for an NBA Championship. Let's get Steph Curry to come to Milwaukee and things will be much, much easier for Giannis.

If I was implying it, I'll just state it. LeBron is undeserving of the MVP award this year. The Bucks record over the Lakers was NOT Giannis' biggest advantage. The fact that he was posting the single highest PER in NBA history was, the fact that he's got the highest defensive rating in the NBA, that he's averaging roughly 35/16/8 per 36 minutes...pretty much the fact that he's having one of the greatest seasons in NBA history was his biggest advantage over LeBron.

Saying what LeBron is doing would be good enough to win the MVP in MOST years is about as relevant as saying, "look at what he's doing....for a 35 year old." Giannis has been a significantly better player this season than LeBron.

No, the 70 win pace was the biggest reason he was a runaway leader. Without that it becomes close/arguable because the "significantly" portion you speak of isn't quite true as LBJ has also been ridiculous. Don't get me wrong, Giannis should still win if it ends now. But you acting like it's blasphemy that one guy playing two great games vs top rival teams and winning while the other loses 3 times and misses two games doesn't narrow the decision is just wrong. If the Bucks win only 1 game more than LA and Giannis misses 10 more games than LBJ I really don't think people are wrong to vote for LBJ. It becomes very close at that point and I see either way.

And no it's not the same as "for a 35 year old". If you delete Giannis from this season LBJ would be a walkaway for MVP right now. In probably 80% of seasons the year LBJ and his team is having would be a shoe-in for MVP.

Feel free to disagree though. I certainly see where you're coming from and don't think you're nuts or anything. Essentially I'm just saying it should be closer than people realize with how good LBJ has been and last weekend and Giannis injury helped close some gap.

Big game Thurs vs Bos to get back on track. Hopefully Giannis is back and we win so everyone can chill a bit. haha

No, the 70 win pace was the biggest reason he was a runaway leader. Without that it becomes close/arguable because the "significantly" portion you speak of isn't quite true as LBJ has also been ridiculous. Don't get me wrong, Giannis should still win if it ends now. But you acting like it's blasphemy that one guy playing two great games vs top rival teams and winning while the other loses 3 times and misses two games doesn't narrow the decision is just wrong. If the Bucks win only 1 game more than LA and Giannis misses 10 more games than LBJ I really don't think people are wrong to vote for LBJ. It becomes very close at that point and I see either way.

And no it's not the same as "for a 35 year old". If you delete Giannis from this season LBJ would be a walkaway for MVP right now. In probably 80% of seasons the year LBJ and his team is having would be a shoe-in for MVP.

Feel free to disagree though. I certainly see where you're coming from and don't think you're nuts or anything. Essentially I'm just saying it should be closer than people realize with how good LBJ has been and last weekend and Giannis injury helped close some gap.

Big game Thurs vs Bos to get back on track. Hopefully Giannis is back and we win so everyone can chill a bit. haha

Greatest single season PER in NBA History. Better than Wilt's 50/25 season. So if he was JUST a Harden type player he'd have a strong argument for MVP over LeBron.

BUT-

#1 in Defensive Ratings.

#1 Rim protector

#1 Real Plus/Minus

#1 Defensive Win Shares

These things haven't changed in 3-4 days. They lost a close game to the Lakers....

People WANT LeBron to win the award because of Kobe, because he's 35 because he plays for one of the leagues two more storied franchises while Giannis plays in Milwaukee.

Whatever may have happened any other year, it shouldn't be close right now and you had people just a week ago talking about how it SHOULD be a unanimous MVP for Giannis. What's he done exactly in that week? Lost to the Lakers on the road while putting up 32/11/6.

If you just listed the numbers and accolades with the two blank faces like they do sometimes on ESPN or wherever, you'd have a hard time coming up with a single reason why LeBron would even get a single vote.

I also didn't say that IF the Bucks finish just one game better than the Lakers and IF Giannis misses the majority of the games remaining it's be crazy for people to vote for LeBron OR that it wouldn't become very close at THAT point. What I'm saying is that it is NOT very close at THIS point based on actual play. The ONLY reason that people are now arguing that LeBron IS the MVP...is because of the nice little storyline and the tragedy with Kobe.

No, it's because LBJ has also had a ridiculous season on a team on pace to win mid 60s and the last 5 days just brought their team records very close together. The Bucks are now 1 game up in the L column. It's also clear that LBJ is still the best player in the world. Any talk prior to last weekend was pure media hype to try and create clicks, what happened last weekend combined with Giannis getting hurt just brought it a lot closer and within in reach IF those things I said happen, those IFs just became a lot more realistic so I don't see the harm in anyone saying that. No matter how much you want to deny it.

What's he done in the last week? Lost heads up, then straight up missed two games, creating obviously no value to his team as they also lost a 3rd in a row. While the other guy beat him, the 3rd top team and played amazing in both. It's 100% logical that this closed the gap.

Also, Lakers have a game stretch similar to what the Bucks just did that included a back-to-back-to-back due to the Kobe make up game. LBJ very easily could give back a couple games there by sitting out some. It's very late in the season when he should get some rest in. Could help narrow the games played gap that might build up between now and then

No, it's because LBJ has also had a ridiculous season on a team on pace to win mid 60s and the last 5 days just brought their team records very close together. The Bucks are now 1 game up in the L column. It's also clear that LBJ is still the best player in the world. Any talk prior to last weekend was pure media hype to try and create clicks, what happened last weekend combined with Giannis getting hurt just brought it a lot closer and within in reach IF those things I said happen, those IFs just became a lot more realistic so I don't see the harm in anyone saying that. No matter how much you want to deny it.

What's he done in the last week? Lost heads up, then straight up missed two games, creating obviously no value to his team as they also lost a 3rd in a row. While the other guy beat him, the 3rd top team and played amazing in both. It's 100% logical that this closed the gap.

Also, Lakers have a game stretch similar to what the Bucks just did that included a back-to-back-to-back due to the Kobe make up game. LBJ very easily could give back a couple games there by sitting out some. It's very late in the season when he should get some rest in. Could help narrow the games played gap that might build up between now and then

You just keep saying, "no," but you're not telling me why.

Anthony Davis plays on the same Lakers teams...he has a higher PER and is leading LeBron in Win Shares. And is a better defensive player. Don't hear a lot of talk about him winning MVP. Why? He's not the 35 year old "King."

Just saying, "no," and then talking about how in MOST years or 80 pct of seasons LeBron would be the MVP or if you took Giannis out then LeBron would win it doesn't really change the discussion. This isn't most years. Giannis IS in this year. This is a year in which a player is posting the highest single season PER in NBA History, leads the league in virtually every metric used for evaluating a players contribution. I've yet to see an ACTUAL persuasive argument beyond, "LeBron is really good," and "the Lakers beat the Bucks and the Clippers in 5 days," something of course the Bucks have done as well this year. The gap between the two in virtually every quantifiable metric should be such that the last week wouldn't make the slightest difference....IF it wasn't LeBron and the Lakers. I've literal even heard voters talk about how they WANT LeBron to win the award. I can't believe you don't think the "story line" of LeBron getting the Lakers back in the playoffs after Kobe tragically dies in an accident is an ENORMOUS factor in why many of the people who vote for the award are pushing the "LeBron for MVP," narrative.

What is the argument for LeBron other than he's really good and probably still the best player in the world overall?

Archived