Brewer Fanatic

Milwaukee Bucks 2019 - 20 Season Thread

homer

I was with you until the last line.

I sympathize with those who will less enjoy this coming season out of what in my opinion is an irrational fear that Giannis won't re-sign.

It took me around 20 article searches to find out the max Giannis could get signing anywhere other than Milwaukee. Gee, I wonder why that is? Why does no one want to even mention the 100 million dollar haircut Giannis would have to take to sign elsewhere? Could it be because it would suck the drama out of this story? I wonder why the media never talks about the over 100 million dollar difference? I wonder why the media never talks about Anthony Davis signing anywhere other than LA after this year? I'd bet that most NBA fans already think he's signed a long term deal to stay there. He has not, yet no there's media drama. Hmmm.

Giannis not only has 100 million reasons to stay in Milwaukee he also has a title contending team around him, which is all he's ever asked for. The Harvard study comments, if even accurate, came before last year's playoff run. The Bucks didn't underachieve and the current roster isn't in shambles. Which brings us back to the 100 million dollars.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice way to start the season with a big win against Houston on the road! This team is going to be a lot of fun to watch!

On the Giannis free agency topic, I have a small amount of concern about him leaving, but he’s been committed to Milwaukee since Day 1 and even last offseason, he said that there was “no way” he’s leaving in free agency.

And this isn’t a knock to Giannis, but I am sure there are things people say or ask him that he has a difficult time understanding. And there are plenty of times where he words things in an odd way. I think that’s just the language barrier and sometimes he might word things in a way he didn’t intend to. It wouldn’t surprise me if that’s the same thing in the most recent story. The last part of the quote that he himself said that he never said was about him leaving if they struggle. And even if he did say that, I don’t see any way that the Bucks don’t finish in one of the top two spots in the East and end up in the ECF.

Plus, I thought it was interesting that his girlfriend questioned him about the comment he made. She would have a lot more insight on what Giannis is thinking and what his intentions are. And if she thought it was odd that he was supposedly non-committal to Milwaukee in a comment, then that would lead me to believe that he is serious about remaining in Milwaukee.

Also, would Giannis turn down over $100 million in additional salary by signing with another team and not the Bucks? That is an insane amount of money. I think he will sign the extension next offseason and become the highest paid player in NBA history. And the Milwaukee Bucks will have the face of the NBA for years to come.

Giannis not only has 100 million reasons to stay in Milwaukee he also has a title contending team around him, which is all he's ever asked for. The Harvard study comments, if even accurate, came before last year's playoff run. The Bucks didn't underachieve and the current roster isn't in shambles. Which brings us back to the 100 million dollars.

It's not a 100 million difference.

Supermax: 35% of the Cap + 8% raises each season, up to 5 years.

Max: 30% of the cap + 8% raises each season, only 4 years.

247 Million over 5 years would be the super max. The max would be about 170 over 4 years, plus then he'd be eligible for the 10 year, 35% of the cap maximum moving forward with a 5th year starting salary around 50M. So, 220 Million.

He'd be leaving about 25 million on the table.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I'd like if the media would sometime soon latch on to KAT leaving instead of Giannis. He's on his rookie extension just like Giannis but is a couple years behind. Difference is MN has no chance whereas MKE has put a title contender together here. How long until KAT demands a trade? Why isn't Skip and SAS asking this question every day?

Reports are Chris Paul would like to come to Milwaukee. Doubt anyone is surprised by his interest but hard to see the Bucks having the same interest due to his contract.

Paul is in the ring-chasing point in his career. Of course he wants to come play for the team that is probably the odds-on favorite to come out of the East. I'm sure there is probably 100 veteran types littered around the NBA who feel similarly. That's why Matthews, Korver and R. Lopez took huge discounts to come here.

I agree, though, that unless they can find a way to cook the books, Paul's contract is an albatross.

He's also been known to be a problem in the locker room for years now, more or less just a jerk to be around. I'm all for trying to find an upgrade to Bled (though I'm a Bled supporter and he gets too much hate) who is a better shooter. But I really think it's best to keep away from CP3 given everything here. If he gets a buyout I'm sure he'll go to LAL.

Reports are Chris Paul would like to come to Milwaukee. Doubt anyone is surprised by his interest but hard to see the Bucks having the same interest due to his contract.

Paul is in the ring-chasing point in his career. Of course he wants to come play for the team that is probably the odds-on favorite to come out of the East. I'm sure there is probably 100 veteran types littered around the NBA who feel similarly. That's why Matthews, Korver and R. Lopez took huge discounts to come here.

I agree, though, that unless they can find a way to cook the books, Paul's contract is an albatross.

do the bucks really need another guy who needs the ball in his hands at all times, even besides his contract?

do the bucks really need another guy who needs the ball in his hands at all times, even besides his contract?

Probably ... but that doesn't change my opinion that the idea of Paul WANTING to play in Milwaukee is pretty cool.

I really don't think they have an abundance of guys who 'need' the ball in their hands or at least ones that should. If anything, one key thing they're missing is another guy with a playmaker skillset, to get his own shot (and be a good shooter) but to create creases and O in general. Think of backup PG types like Van Vleet, LouWill, Barrea years ago, etc. We have Giannis, who really could benefit from a creator where he can just be the finisher/dunker. So a reduction in his ballhandling is probably a good thing. Then we have Bledsoe, then what? George Hill? IMO this is the skillset their missing, but no you also don't need to pay 40 mil for this skillset either in a guy like Paul. I had my eye on Carson Edwards from Purdue for this reason. He did great in summer and preseason, not sure how much PT he's gotten in the few games so far.

I see the not being able to put teams away with big leads is still an issue this year.

That wasn't a problem last year. That was a big thing under Kidd, last year it wasn't. They got up big, and won by over 10 almost every game. It was actually kinda boring.

So far, I guess my takeaway is that it's a reminder as to how rare a season like last year is to have that kind of point margin and just straight domination. It's not supposed to be that easy. They're now the team with the target on their back and integrating a few new players. No need to panic.

But, Giannis FTs is something that needs to improved. Gotta be a mental thing at this point

They need to do something other than just shoot threes. Last night was a prime example. The Celtics had no real interior defense, the offense was struggling. Yet trip after trip, it was just constant three point attempts. Some were open, but when they aren't falling...generate points another way. Attack the rim, post up Giannis or Lopez. They did none of that and just like the Miami game, gave away a 20 point lead in the second half.

It's early, but they need to figure that out. On top of that, I'm not a fan of Bud's rotation - one, we aren't play DD or DJ at all, not even a little. DJ specifically bothers me, we could use his defense and athletic ability at times. Also, why do we need to play our ENTIRE bench at the same time? I don't see any other teams really ever do this. Sure, Giannis and others need rest, but do they really all need to rest together? I just don't get that.

Their 3's aren't falling and they're working in 3 new members to what's currently a 10-man rotation. Sports are so much more enjoyable without the hot takes and the unnecessary highs and lows. It's a marathon not a sprint.

Their 10 man rotation includes:

38 year old Kyle Korver

33 year old George Hill

33 year old Wesley Matthews

32 year old Ersan Ilyasova

31 year old twins, Brook and Robin Lopez

and soon to be 30 year old Eric Bledsoe

How many teams in the NBA will have 70% of their rotation on wrong side of 30?

It's not that each of those players is necessarily finished but it begs the question when they can't finish games that maybe the guys with younger legs should be seeing more minutes? And what about the chemistry off the court between guys of such differing ages? I haven't attended a Bucks game in years, but frankly I'd much rather pay to see DiVincenzo than Korver who's been around forever and basically does one thing. For that matter, I'd rather watch an athletic Wilson or Bender than see more of Ilyasova or Robin Lopez.

The Bucks will be fine. All the new guys need to get acclimated with each other. They are all figuring out their roles and where they fit in on the roster to be positive contributors. Boston isn’t exactly a cakewalk either. Playing on the road against a top 4 team in the East isn’t easy. Especially when you have a target on your back as the best team in the East. We will be getting everybody’s best all season long.

The only different from last year on the ages is essentially swapping a 27 yr old guard for Wes and Korver to take his minutes. That's really it. The team was old last year too. It's 4 games. No need to panic.

I don't think there is any clear roster construction mess up that points like this try to imply. I think there is or will be an Xs and Os thing of teams adjusting to what MKE did last year and using the Tor blueprint as much as possible. In the Houston game they seemed to have a counter in place with the Lopez post ups. But they need to be more diverse on O. And IMO less Giannis dribbling outside barreling into a set D. Need more motions and more Giannis as the slasher/finisher/crasher/dunker/ally ooper type guy.

And simply Bledsoe and Giannis have to play better than they have.

The only different from last year on the ages is essentially swapping a 27 yr old guard for Wes and Korver to take his minutes. That's really it. The team was old last year too. It's 4 games. No need to panic.

I don't think there is any clear roster construction mess up that points like this try to imply. I think there is or will be an Xs and Os thing of teams adjusting to what MKE did last year and using the Tor blueprint as much as possible. In the Houston game they seemed to have a counter in place with the Lopez post ups. But they need to be more diverse on O. And IMO less Giannis dribbling outside barreling into a set D. Need more motions and more Giannis as the slasher/finisher/crasher/dunker/ally ooper type guy.

They posted Lopez up because Houston put a 6'5" guy on him.

My second biggest worry is the teams current happiness with early shot clock above the break 3's, often times with only one pass and no screens at all.

Ball movement, handoffs, screens still need to happen, even in the 5-out offense. The Korver/Giannis two man game being a prime example.

My biggest worry is Giannis doesn't seem like himself. He's shot at least 6-7 layups this year already, which would've been dunks last year.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

My second biggest worry is the teams current happiness with early shot clock above the break 3's, often times with only one pass and no screens at all.

Ball movement, handoffs, screens still need to happen, even in the 5-out offense. The Korver/Giannis two man game being a prime example.

My biggest worry is Giannis doesn't seem like himself. He's shot at least 6-7 layups this year already, which would've been dunks last year.

I've been trying to avoid blind speculation as a fan, but I wonder if Giannis isn't fresh to start the season like he was last year. It seemed like he played an awful lot of organized basketball in the offseason

Right, but that's not something they really used last year. It was the right move and he is still a great low post guy, no reason not to sprinkle it in to mix things up.

Your next two lines are what I was getting at as well. This stand and stare at Giannis while he barrels into a set D needs to countered with the stuff you listed. to me I want to see giannis ally oop dunking multiple times a game as the roll man. Think Deandre Jordan on steroids (or more steroids lol).

Agree giannis has just been a bit off. I do chalk most up to the Xs and Os stuff we just mentioned. But yea could be a combo of playing late into the playoffs and international. Then by the time he takes a bit of RnR the season is starting

FG attempts within 5 feet:

Last season: 2nd in NBA

This season: 29th

Saw this earlier, good pointing it out. As much as the hype last year was around letting it fly. The stability of having tons of points in the paint with top notch efficiency was crucial to have in your back pocket every night as variance happens on 3s. Bledsoe is good at this, but has been bad so far. Giannis, same as we've talked about. But Xs and Os mentioned here and the copying Tor D to stop this, have to have the motions and things just mentioned here as other ways to get creases to the hoop.

Archived