Brewer Fanatic

Milwaukee Bucks 2019 - 20 Season Thread

homer
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
These last 4 pages have been brutal to read. What a dumb discussion on a fantastic ongoing season.

Good thing we can always count on you to send things in a more positive direction by coming in and talking down to everyone.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Im not talking about firing Bud after one 50/50 series. Im saying the hypothetical of him/the Bucks not making it after 3 straight years (if they dont) raises a legitimate question, even if they win 60 games per.

As I said, I think they're in this year and it becomes moot.

This is all I've been saying and that it just not a linear comparison with other teams who've been good for 3-5 seasons without a title. It's not that simple. There is a very clear championship expectation here with Giannis and the team as constructed. It is not like there are 5 teams in the East all at about the same level. It's not like a team where the best player is Blake Griffin, there is a heightened expectation and lack of patience when you're doing it with LeBron/Giannis/Kobe.

So the notion that Bud could win 55+ games for 3-4 years and get fired is not as absurd as it looks on its face.

Here is what you originally said:

If the Bucks don't win the East, Bud's job is in jeopardy.

Then you said this:

Not this summer but that isn't what I meant. His seat is absolutely hot if they win 60+ games two years in a row

Then this:

So the Bucks could win 60 games for four years, miss the Finals four times, and he'll remain the coach?

There have been coaches fired after successful runs. Most because they had to coach Cleveland:

Dwane Casey won 59 games for the Raps but couldn't get past LeBron. Raps won it all the next year when, surprise, LeBron left the east.

David Blatt made it to the Finals then was fired mid-year the next year with a 30 - 11 record. Probably because LeBron didn't like him or something. Also the Cavs owner is an idiot.

Mike Brown was canned after a 61 win season when they lost in the 2nd round. Also, did I mention the Cavs owner is an idiot?

So yes, if the Bucks continue to win 60 games and lose in the ECF I am confident Bud will be here. If they start losing in the 2nd round then maybe they make a change. All this hinges on Giannis though. If he goes, then Bud won't be winning 60 games.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Im not talking about firing Bud after one 50/50 series. Im saying the hypothetical of him/the Bucks not making it after 3 straight years (if they dont) raises a legitimate question, even if they win 60 games per.

This is all I've been saying and that it just not a linear comparison with other teams who've been good for 3-5 seasons without a title. It's not that simple. There is a very clear championship expectation here with Giannis and the team as constructed. It is not like there are 5 teams in the East all at about the same level. It's not like a team where the best player is Blake Griffin, there is a heightened expectation and lack of patience when you're doing it with LeBron/Giannis/Kobe.

So the notion that Bud could win 55+ games for 3-4 years and get fired is not as absurd as it looks on its face.

Then you said this:

Not this summer but that isn't what I meant. His seat is absolutely hot if they win 60+ games two years in a row

Then this:

So the Bucks could win 60 games for four years, miss the Finals four times, and he'll remain the coach?

There have been coaches fired after successful runs. Most because they had to coach Cleveland:

Dwane Casey won 59 games for the Raps but couldn't get past LeBron. Raps won it all the next year when, surprise, LeBron left the east.

David Blatt made it to the Finals then was fired mid-year the next year with a 30 - 11 record. Probably because LeBron didn't like him or something. Also the Cavs owner is an idiot.

Mike Brown was canned after a 61 win season when they lost in the 2nd round. Also, did I mention the Cavs owner is an idiot?

So yes, if the Bucks continue to win 60 games and lose in the ECF I am confident Bud will be here. If they start losing in the 2nd round then maybe they make a change. All this hinges on Giannis though. If he goes, then Bud won't be winning 60 games.

There was also this:

This isn't really even a unique take. It's out there and has been tossed around in the media before this year even started.

I spent some time looking for where it was tossed around and didn't find anything.

Then you said this:

Then this:

Well aware of what I said, but you can't just rip it out of context and pretend I'm changing my position.

I assumed that people understood I was not saying Bud would be fired at the end of this season. How could any reasonable person think that is going to happen? When I sad his job would be in jeopardy, I was referring to his "hot seat" heading into 2021, which I think is a fair statement. The first two statements you chose to use are me making the same point, clarifying it in my second. His job being in jeopardy does not mean he's getting fired, either.

You then said he would not be fired as long as they win 60 games, that he could do that in perpetuity and his job is safe. I think you are wrong. Don't make it sound like I was moving the goal post. I wasn't. I was replying to that statement.

There was also this:

This isn't really even a unique take. It's out there and has been tossed around in the media before this year even started.

I spent some time looking for where it was tossed around and didn't find anything.

Going out on a limb here that you spent exactly 0 time because it is comically easy to find this via Google. I'm not posting it because I know your deal.

There was also this:

Going out on a limb here that you spent exactly 0 time because it is comically easy to find this via Google. I'm not posting it because I know your deal.

My deal of asking for a source for a claim you make? How terrible of me!

I'm guessing it is comically vague or doesn't exist.

No, your deal of endlessly pursuing pissing matches. I know the difference between someone who wants a source, which is about 5% of people on Internet, and the other 95% who just want the source to pick it apart and insult the person posting it. You have a bizarre history specifically with me, to the point that I'm starting to think you actually know me from somewhere and have some problem.

"I'm guessing it is comically vague or doesn't exist."

You're right.

Dude you post way more than me so what are you talking about pursuing pissing matches? Also, it's ironic you say that in this thread of all places. You have accused me of getting into it with you over the Packers (never happened) so I think the issues are with you.

I am a huge Bucks fan (probably more than Brewers fan to be honest) and wanted to know about these articles because it would have been news to me. Rather than just giving me a link to these really easy articles you decide to go about it this way for reasons I don't know.

Nope, I don't know you by the way.

Alrigghtyy then, haha. Hey the sun is out and its like 40 degrees in February in WI on a Friday. Bucks are like 55-7 and baseball is starting tomorrow.

Big matchup with Philly tomorrow BTW. ABC national game. Bucks at home favored by 8.5. This is one of those narrative games as I assume this is our last game with Philly, without checking, so if they do well on us again like Christmas there will be chatter about that playoff matchup. Hope Giannis just dookies on them like last game. 8.5 is tough (12 vs Det last night was some of the easiest money I've seen betting), I'd probably go Philly. can maybe even get a big payout on them ML. George Hill being back also can't be ignored, he's going to end up being very important if we can have him healthy for those last few rounds of the playoffs and he shoots this well.

The only thing that worries me about PHI is that it is the exact same narrative as to why they can't beat the Bucks that the Raps had going last year. They were not deep and would "get tired."

The 76ers just haven't been that good though. They have to be in the discussion for most disappointing teams in the East. Their fans are extremely obnoxious too. It's not generally not a good practice to read opposing team's boards, but their vibe after the last game was basically "The Bucks aren't that good, we can take these guys."

I just assume Giannis will leave, my cynical take is there is no way an NBA star on his level stays in a city like Milwaukee. Someone will get his ear and the powers that be want him in a big market. That way I will be pleasantly surprised if he stays but will not be crushed if he leaves. You have to set expectations. ;)

All this talk about superstars taking a cut to bring Giannis to their club. Why can't the Bucks attract some of these guys?

Hey Lebron -- come to Milwaukee?

Hey Steph -- come to Milwaukee?

Sigh...

Because it's Milwaukee. It's cold and it's boring. At least that is the perception. There's just nothing here to attract guys like that.

Now, we win a couple titles and Giannis signs an extension here, maybe that changes. Sometimes establishing a winning culture will be enough for some guys to want to come here.

The only thing that worries me about PHI is that it is the exact same narrative as to why they can't beat the Bucks that the Raps had going last year. They were not deep and would "get tired."

The 76ers just haven't been that good though. They have to be in the discussion for most disappointing teams in the East. Their fans are extremely obnoxious too. It's not generally not a good practice to read opposing team's boards, but their vibe after the last game was basically "The Bucks aren't that good, we can take these guys."

Philly does scare me a bit. I agree their fans suck, but they took Toronto further than we did last year. I think we did learn last year that depth in the playoffs really isn't that important in comparison to having a star who can take over. I don't know if Embiid is that guy or not. He is supposed to be.

The first round will be a glorified bye, but the 2nd and 3rd round will likely be Philly followed by Toronto. We're 47-8 for a reason, we have the best shot. But it's still not going to be easy to get out of the East.

Lol, yeah it is. The only reason I brought it up is because everyone knows what the Bucks are right now. We are basically napping until the 2nd round of the playoffs and the hypotheticals are more fun to think about than the 40th team we dropped 130 points on last night.

This, my friend, is called "enjoying the ride".

I agree that the last four pages have been brutal to read.

All this talk about superstars taking a cut to bring Giannis to their club. Why can't the Bucks attract some of these guys?

Hey Lebron -- come to Milwaukee?

Hey Steph -- come to Milwaukee?

Sigh...

We brought in Wes Mathews really cheap.

We brought in Kyle Korver really cheap.

We brought in Marvin Williams really cheap.

All this happened because of Giannis and winning.

And I am not saying any of the above are superstars, but they are the type of player that win championships.

Philly does scare me a bit. I agree their fans suck, but they took Toronto further than we did last year. I think we did learn last year that depth in the playoffs really isn't that important in comparison to having a star who can take over. I don't know if Embiid is that guy or not. He is supposed to be.

The first round will be a glorified bye, but the 2nd and 3rd round will likely be Philly followed by Toronto. We're 47-8 for a reason, we have the best shot. But it's still not going to be easy to get out of the East.

We have more weapons this year, even without Malcolm B. A healthy Donte D pretty much makes up for Malcolm and then we have a bench full of savvy veterans. Marvin Williams Kyle Korver, along with starting Wes Mathews. It will be harder for them (the rest of the east) to beat us than us beating them. Saying that you still have to play the game and make your shots. That is the joy of basketball and sports in general.

I think the difference between the overall fitness of Embiid and Giannis is a significant thing especially given how long and grueling the regular season + playoffs is. Giannis has the look of someone that could play 48 minutes a night for three weeks. I'm just not seeing a roster in the East that will have any any answer for the Bucks. When you take Kawhi off the the Raptors it's just not the same regardless of their record.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I went back and look at Van Vliet's numbers from the playoffs last year and in the last three games he was 14 for 17 from three. I bet he's never had a three game stretch like that before or since. The last two games, which were close, he was 11/14. He goes 7 for 14 and the Bucks probably win each of them.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Archived