Brewer Fanatic

Milwaukee Bucks 2019 - 20 Season Thread

homer
It seems like there is not many advantages to leaving Milwaukee than staying. It seems like he can get any endorsement he wants and has a legit change at a championship here. I agree its probably 50/50 that he stays. There is going to be incredible recruiting of him by every superstar in the league, which is what concerns me.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It seems like there is not many advantages to leaving Milwaukee than staying. It seems like he can get any endorsement he wants and has a legit change at a championship here. I agree its probably 50/50 that he stays. There is going to be incredible recruiting of him by every superstar in the league, which is what concerns me.

A great song line and quote, along with a great way to look at life..."The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time".(James Taylor) Giannis could also get badly hurt and never play another NBA game. A million things could happen. I am just going to relax and enjoy the ride..."Isn't it a lovely ride, sliding down. Try not to try to hard, it's just a lovely ride."

A great song line and quote, along with a great way to look at life..."The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time".(James Taylor) Giannis could also get badly hurt and never play another NBA game. A million things could happen. I am just going to relax and enjoy the ride..."Isn't it a lovely ride, sliding down. Try not to try to hard, it's just a lovely ride."

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I don't think he's going anywhere.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I think it's much more than 50/50 he stays. I think it's 95/5 and honestly it might be stronger than that. He's said he doesn't want to fraternize with other superstars because he doesn't want their influence on his decisions. He turned down an offer from LeBron to be in Space Jam, he won't practice/work out with other superstars in the off season, he avoids all those situations.

He's said he's turned down many endorsement opportunities, I think mainly because he values his time and his normal routine over the distraction of flying out to different places to shoot commercials. I think he also is being careful with the products he wants to represent.

It would take a huge shift in his thinking to leave IMO. Is it possible? Of course, people change their minds all the time. I think the 2 biggest factors in his decision will be his family and whether he believes the Bucks will continue to chase championships. I think the Bucks are taking care of their end. The unknown is if his family wants to stay in Milwaukee as badly as he theoretically does.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

Community Moderator

I think it's much more than 50/50 he stays. I think it's 95/5 and honestly it might be stronger than that. He's said he doesn't want to fraternize with other superstars because he doesn't want their influence on his decisions. He turned down an offer from LeBron to be in Space Jam, he won't practice/work out with other superstars in the off season, he avoids all those situations.

He's said he's turned down many endorsement opportunities, I think mainly because he values his time and his normal routine over the distraction of flying out to different places to shoot commercials. I think he also is being careful with the products he wants to represent.

It would take a huge shift in his thinking to leave IMO. Is it possible? Of course, people change their minds all the time. I think the 2 biggest factors in his decision will be his family and whether he believes the Bucks will continue to chase championships. I think the Bucks are taking care of their end. The unknown is if his family wants to stay in Milwaukee as badly as he theoretically does.

I read a story about Kobe meeting with Giannis, it sounded like Giannis came super prepared to the meeting and quizzed Kobe on all sorts of in-game situations where Giannis thought he needed to improve. It certainly fits the general theme of him chasing a championship above all else.

I think the equation could change significantly depending on if the Bucks win a championship or not. As long as Giannis does not have a championship he is going to do whatever it takes to get one and if a team puts together a compelling proposal there is reason to think Giannis would leave Milwaukee. We know that Giannis likes Milwaukee and if he thinks he can win championships here, and does, he will probably stay. But maybe after winning one he will start thinking more about other aspects of his career, endorsements, movies, etc. Who knows.

If you're the best regular season team in the NBA two seasons in a row, with an impressive historical improvement in the 2nd of those two seasons, and fail to win the championship is that a scenario where you blame the powers-that-be in the Bucks organization or do you focus on how the players themselves didn't rise to the occasion? Especially when the perception is that in the 1st season it was Giannis himself being shut down that caused the team to lose?

IDK, to me that's a pretty big jump to "I guess the Bucks aren't serious about winning" situation, especially if you're Giannis.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

If the Bucks don't win the East, Bud's job is in jeopardy. It sounds ridiculous, but I don't think it's far off at all. This was mentioned earlier as well, but there's a decent argument for the Bucks winning the championship actually decreasing the chances that Giannis stays. I think Giannis already knows what he wants to do. The fact that he won't publicly say it does make me worry. He could squash all of this instantly if he 100% knew he was staying. I still feel like what I said earlier, that I think it's about 70/30 that he stays.

I would put the chances of Bud being fired after this year at 0%. If it happens again next year, yea I think some grumblings start. No way this year though.

I'd guess if they lose this year the players that clam up in the postseason would be the ones looking to be shuffled around a bit. Obvious guess being Bledsoe.

If the Bucks don't win the East, Bud's job is in jeopardy. It sounds ridiculous, but I don't think it's far off at all. This was mentioned earlier as well, but there's a decent argument for the Bucks winning the championship actually decreasing the chances that Giannis stays. I think Giannis already knows what he wants to do. The fact that he won't publicly say it does make me worry. He could squash all of this instantly if he 100% knew he was staying. I still feel like what I said earlier, that I think it's about 70/30 that he stays.

Zero chance Bud gets let go if they don't win the East.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Community Moderator
There's no way Giannis has made up his mind. He would be crazy to. There is too much of an opportunity to see what options are out there for forming a superteam. Which he will have to weigh against all of his other priorities for career, family, etc.

Zero chance Bud gets let go if they don't win the East.

Not this summer but that isn't what I meant. His seat is absolutely hot if they win 60+ games two years in a row and can't get out of the East. His reputation is already being a regular season paper tiger. Without even factoring in what Giannis does in 2021, I would be very surprised if they retained him after 3 seasons of failing to win the inferior conference with Giannis playing MVP basketball.

There's no way Giannis has made up his mind. He would be crazy to. There is too much of an opportunity to see what options are out there for forming a superteam. Which he will have to weigh against all of his other priorities for career, family, etc.

He already knows his options. His options are pretty much whatever he wants to do because anyone will sell their soul to have him.

There is absolutely a way. The billionaire investors who "want it all" are not going to sit back and watch a team win 60 games for three years and not even make the Finals in a watered down East. Giannis loved Jason Kidd too. There is a point where the owners don't care, and want someone to finish. These are not elementary school teachers, they're sharks.

Not to mention ANY available coach will want Giannis if he's still in MKE.

I don't think it comes to this as they'll win the East this season. But to say there is no way they get rid of Bud, or that he won't be under some pressure if they repeat last year's playoffs is just not true.

If the Bucks continue to win 60+ games, Bud will be the coach.

I cannot think of a single way Bud gets fired unless it is something non-basketball related (arrest, etc).

I feel like there should be even more excitement than there is around the Bucks right now. I know people are a little weary after how they lost last year but they played about as bad as they had late 4th quarter leads in 3 of the 4 losses. The Raptors on the other hand had all their role players step up. Middleton had 14, 6, and 9 in 3 of the losses. That isnt happening again

So the Bucks could win 60 games for four years, miss the Finals four times, and he'll remain the coach? Find that very hard to believe. The ownership of this team is not supermaxing Giannis and paying Middleton darn near it to lose conference finals.

Name his likely replacement that is better. Everything you state is your opinion that no one else that has posted shares.

Hate to break it to you but it's your opinion too Nostradamus. That's kind of what fan forums are and I couldn't care less about the quantity of people agreeing. You can't state where Bud is coaching in 2022 as a fact. It would equally silly to name a replacement when the hot coaching names in 2-3 years won't be what they are today. It's also beside the point and as I think he's a great coach. This wasn't meant to be some indictment of him, just an observation that there's a ton of pressure on the Bucks.

This isn't really even a unique take. It's out there and has been tossed around in the media before this year even started. I think he's for sure coaching next season no matter what, but no, I don't believe that if the Bucks were to go 60-22 next year and fail again, that his job is safe because they're winning a bunch of regular season games. And if they do lose again this year, you're going to start hearing that talk much more often.

In any case this has gone down a rabbit hole I didn't intend. My only point was that Bud's seat is hot if they don't win the East, mostly because they are clearly the best team, and because ownership will blame him before they blame Giannis.

So the Bucks could win 60 games for four years, miss the Finals four times, and he'll remain the coach? Find that very hard to believe. The ownership of this team is not supermaxing Giannis and paying Middleton darn near it to lose conference finals.

Different sports, but look at counsel. Zero trips to the WS. Worse record last year than the year prior. Has a top 2 player in his sport. Yet the team signed him to an extension.

Winning 3/4 of your games is incredibly hard and rare. I’m sure the owners are upset about all the extra money coming in due to winning consistently.

One baseball player can't transform a team and the Bucks are in a vastly different circumstance. Counsell is getting rewarded for keeping a team together amidst adversity, overachieving to some degree and understanding/embracing the unique way the Brewers build a team and play. It's completely feasible he could be their manager for 20 years and never win a WS and I could justify that.

The expectation for the Bucks is winning a championship now, at the very least getting there. The best player in the world has said he wants to see them doing all they can to win a championship. It's possible making the Finals means they get to keep him. It's a completely different, high stakes situation the Bucks are in.

Again, I want to make it clear I was not intending to criticize Bud, just that I don't think he can continue to dominate the regular season without real playoff results. The quiet criticism of him already is that he can transform teams into winners but isn't a get-you-over-the-hump guy. He has won 60 games in another city before. There was no realistic expectation of ATL winning titles, but there is in MKE and I do believe he's going to feel the heat if they won't get there this season.

This isn't really even a unique take. It's out there and has been tossed around in the media before this year even started.

Where has this not unique take been in the media before the season? I am legitimately interested.

Archived