Brewer Fanatic

Milwaukee Bucks 2019 - 20 Season Thread

homer
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm surprised they didn't make a move, but none of the guys who got moved really excited me that much. Marcus Morris, Jae Crowder, and Iguodala were mildly interesting, but I'm not too broken up about missing out on those guys.

I don't think any team did enough to separate themselves. I still think the Bucks are the best team in the East and are good enough to win a title.

May I ask, what to do the bucks need. They are basically ranked at the top of every important category stat wise. They have the best record in the NBA. I would not really want to upset team chemistry. I suggested adding a vet, but one that would really not play, just like Gasol last year.

Bucks have been the best team in the league by a decent margin this year so that answer isn't obvious. Came down to a few things for me. They chose not to retain Brogdon, instead cashing out his RFA rights for 2 picks. I understand that it would have been difficult to keep Hill if they re-signed Brogdon, but not turning that asset into someone who can help try to win a championship this season does sting. That's why it's disappointing they weren't able to add someone via trade.

Where they could upgrade I think there were two areas they could have and probably did try to add. The bucks don't really run a ton of pick n roll, but adding a pick n roll ball handler/scorer would have been attractive. Obviously the interesting guy there was Bogdanovic, but he didn't end up getting moved. A knockdown shooter like Kennard would have been the other attractive option. He didn't get moved either.

I am somewhat nervous about how the bucks match up defensively vs the Celtics. I think the Bucks are short a wing defender vs the Celtics. Wes has fared well vs the slower more methodical wings like Kawhi an Lebron, but we saw he couldn't really keep up with any of the Celtics guys. We haven't even seen them have to face the Celtics with all 3 wings since Brown has been out both games. Kemba has really played well vs the Bucks in the high screen n roll the last two years. I think this is mostly Kemba being good at shooting off the screen before Bledsoe can recover. Now the Celtics probably don't match up great defensively vs the Bucks either, but a wing defender would have been helpful for this particular matchup.

Maybe Marvin Williams will help this team. I assume he will come in and start working into the rotation right away. He's probably a more versatile defender than Ersan. Maybe the Bucks can roll with a small ball line up with Williams and Giannis as the bigs.

This is probably the most important season for a Wisconsin pro sports team of my lifetime. The Bucks probably have more pressure to win it all this season than any Wisconsin team in the past 20 years. I think that's why I'm anxious about this team.

Bucks will be waiving Dragan Bender to make room for Marvin Williams.

All things equal, it should really have been Thanasis. But Dragan Bender isn't worth pissing Giannis off.

I always thought it would be wise for the Bucks to bring in Giannis’ brothers to fill the end of the bench. Heck, bring them all in if it keeps him happy. I remember watching the 2018 draft and hoping the Bucks would buy a 2nd round pick to draft Kostas, but they decided not to. Philadelphia then went on to draft him with the last pick.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Do the Bucks push for the 70+ win season or do they let off the gas a bit and make sure they are healthy heading into the post season?

I feel like they have let the foot off the gas all year. Giannis is 63rd in the league in minutes played per game. Middleton is 90th.

Edit: well not exactly 63rd and 90th. Bball reference doesn't take ties into account in their rankings but point remains. Bucks two all stars don't play as much as most other guys

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

It's nice to see them winning games even when Giannis is out. Pretty impressive.

Yup. Now 5-0 with a +84 point differential without Giannis this year.

Granted the games were against NO, ATL, ORL, WAS & SAC, but still speaks to the overall depth of the team & effectiveness of Bud's system.

Is Toronto really as good as their record which would hypothetically make them a pretty legitimate threat in the East?

I thought they would drop at least to the 5-6 seed area this year after losing Leonard. I'm shocked to see them in Lakers territory record wise.

Is Toronto really as good as their record which would hypothetically make them a pretty legitimate threat in the East?

I thought they would drop at least to the 5-6 seed area this year after losing Leonard. I'm shocked to see them in Lakers territory record wise.

Raptors:Bucks::Cardinals:Brewers

Siakam was a rising star last year. Lowry is having a nice year and scoring more without Kawhi. I don't think they're a legitimate threat to the Bucks. Nobody in the East is. They will run any of those teams out of the gym. I know that many Bucks/WI fans are accustomed to failure but none of those teams are even close to as good. Last year is still fresh in everyone's minds but this team is markedly better this season. Could the Bucks be even more dominant if Giannis is playing another 8 minutes? Because they can do that in May.

They've been shooting the lights out of the gym the last few weeks. They can really nail the three ball. Scary thing is that all their bigs can shoot threes which might negate the Bucks interior defense since they'll have to run out to guard them.

Bucks play them three more times this year so we shall see how they matchup before the playoffs.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Siakam was a rising star last year. Lowry is having a nice year and scoring more without Kawhi. I don't think they're a legitimate threat to the Bucks. Nobody in the East is. They will run any of those teams out of the gym. I know that many Bucks/WI fans are accustomed to failure but none of those teams are even close to as good. Last year is still fresh in everyone's minds but this team is markedly better this season. Could the Bucks be even more dominant if Giannis is playing another 8 minutes? Because they can do that in May.

You are really confident, n the verge of over-confident. The Bucks are the best team in the NBA, they were last year as well. In fact, by some metrics they were better last year. #1 in both offense and defense, better 3 PT%, Giannis better at the line, there are others. That said, yes I agree the team is better this year.

Thing is, you have to prove it in the playoffs when defense is ramped up and opponents have a shorter bench. Being the best team isn't enough, you have to be the best when it counts. It doesn't matter they're a little better this year. They were a better team than Toronto last year and lot 4 in a row. Proves it's in their heads. I have no doubt they can steam roll through the playoffs, even the Lakers, if they play like they can/should. But until they do that, you have to reserve a little fear.

Giannis caught between needing to be the man and taking what is given to him. Ball and players stop moving on offense. Bledsoe goes AWOL. Middleton's shot isn't on. Lots of things can happen that could derail them- especially the example of the offense not functioning like it should.

Look, I'm not predicting this will happen. But we're crazy if we don't think it's possible.

Nah, I don't reserve any fear. Not in getting through the East. In the Finals, sure, where either team from LA can probably beat them as I don't think either is going anywhere near 100%. LeBron doesn't do that, he knows the score. Both he and Davis can defend the interior and force the Bucks into needing to shoot well. The Lakers team in June just won't be the same one the Bucks play during the year.

But the East? No. There's no reason the Bucks should lose. They are head and shoulders the best team in the East and the only way they lose is Giannis is getting hurt. If they just get flat out beat again, by a Raptors team with no Kawhi, that's a disgrace and they choked. They finished two games ahead of them last season with Kawhi resting a bunch.

"Lots" of things can't derail the Bucks, they are 46-7. It's a very small number of things that can derail them and I would take just about any odds on them winning the East. There's no reason to not be supremely confident in the Bucks making the finals. It also makes difference how confident I am and I can't be overconfident because I have no influence on anything.

If you are that confident, tou really should take out a lian and bet it all on the Bucks winning the East ; )

Actually I think we pretty much agree. Bucks are clearly the best in the East. But neither one of us knows if they will play that way in every playoff series. Pressure is on them, either they learned from last year or not. We'll see.

Raptors have won 15 in a row.

But are still 6.5 games back of the Bucks.

How much is it that the Raptors and Bucks are really good or that the East is that terrible so it pads wins?
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I watched the Sixers beat the Clippers last night after the Bucks pretty much embarrassed the Sixers. I am feeling really good about the Bucks, knocking on wood. My reasoning is Middleton and Bledsoe. Middleton is really looking like a viable Robin to the Greek Batman. He is starting to stay within his game and executing it at a high level with few flaws....knocking on wood. Bledsoe is doing the same to a lesser degree. I just wish he would stop leaving his feet so soon on drives. He needs to make his driving decisions a little bit later, he is so quick and strong, he can take it through to the other side of the hoop and make adjustments there. Doing this would increase his assists, which is the point of being a point guard.

It will be interesting to see how Marvin Williams plays with the Bucks. His numbers and minutes are about what Irsan 's are. I see Irsan playing more like a small center and RoLo staying on the bench unless the opponent has a really big center or Brook gets into foul trouble. This is a really good problem to have. If Williams fits in nice, like George hill did last year, one of Irsan or Dj may need to go next year. No room at the inn.

Community Moderator
How much is it that the Raptors and Bucks are really good or that the East is that terrible so it pads wins?

The conferences are essentially even right now in head-to-head record. The Raptors might be a bigger threat to the Bucks than anyone in the West.

The conferences are essentially even right now in head-to-head record. The Raptors might be a bigger threat to the Bucks than anyone in the West.

I think the Bucks wipe out anyone in the West should they get to the Finals.

Yea LeBron is still LeBron and all AD has to do is draw contact and pop his head back and they call a foul. Combine that with the Kobe storyline and you have a bad recipe.

Clips I know just look off right now. But they actually have the better team than LAL and potential to put together a ridiculous D vs the Bucks. They're not fully clicking now but that series would be 4 months away, a lot can change.

This isn't going to be a cakewalk. It's very real that after round 1 they'll have to go Philly, Bos/Tor, then an LA team. That is not going to be easy and they'll have earned this title if they get it.

This is normally a very good team without Giannis, but they are absolutely putrid tonight. Bledsoe in particular is playing like it's a playoff game, and in his case that is not a compliment. The loss is almost a given already, and the 100 point streak is in serious danger.

Hopefully they can at least get to 40-45 by half to keep that in play.

Archived