Brewer Fanatic

Milwaukee Bucks 2019 - 20 Season Thread

homer
Well you have admitted to be a Bucks Bandwagoner which is fine. I suffered through so many terrible teams (where I would still watch at least 80% of the games) that I am enjoying the heck out of every minute of this season. Different level of fans which again is all good.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not so much bandwagoning as it is time. I watched the Bucks more when they sucked because that's where I was in life. When I lived on Farwell and not an hour from the arena, I could sit 3 rows back for $11 and go to 10 games a year. I'd watch their 42-40 teams every night because I had the time do it and frankly had not much else to do.

Now if the Bucks were terrible today, you're right, I wouldn't pay a lick of attention to them. But I don't know a lot of people with young kids that sit down and watch Bucks/Brewers every night from start to finish.

Agree with nearly all that has been said...other than the comment about millennials outside of Milwaukee preferring the Bucks over Brewers. If someone did a poll I think 9/10 would say they prefer the Brewers. I bet most would rather pay to watch a 100 loss Brewers team than go watch the current Bucks team for free.

To me the college game is much more enjoyable. The big difference is the fact college guys go 100% on every single play. NBA players are always being lazy and taking plays off...probably cause there are so many dang games. Sometimes the offense is really bland in the NBA too when guys are taking dumb shots three seconds into the shot clock or they just feed one guy all day long. The current Bucks team is pretty enjoyable to watch, but some NBA games are like nails on a chalkboard.

For the life of me I have no idea how anyone can prefer NCAA to NBA. The NCAA players skills are just so bad in comparison. This has happened several times this year when UW and MKE play back to back on the same night. The difference to me is jarring and I have no idea how people can watch them back to back and come away more entertained by the 53-48 game than the one with the fast shot clock and quicker action, combined with how much better at shooting they are, how much better it's reffed, how much more athletic. It's going to happen again today. Bucks get done at 4:30ish and UW starts at 6.

I like them both. The NBA blows it away in terms of athleticism, but you do feel that each game is a lot more important than in the NBA. If you beat a good team in your 15th game it actually holds some value to your berth later on. Everyone loves the tournament too, vs. the NBA where nobody is really paying close attention until the conference finals. One clunker and a top team can be done.

In the NCAA the strategy feels more compelling at times. UNLV can put together a game plan and stop a top team with a little bit of luck; in the NBA you feel like the team with the star is always going to pull it out. That you don't have to beat a superior team 4/7 makes it much more suspenseful.

Most of the state does not care about the Bucks, it is very regional to SE Wisconsin. Farther you leave there the more irrelevant the Bucks get. I think most bars in Central Wisconsin and north would vote to have Seinfeld or House Hunters on the TVs over the Bucks. For whatever reason people just don't get into pro basketball in Wisconsin. I thought the success may change that, but It really hasn't all that much. Maybe the title and continued success can get people into it.

Bars in central WI show House Hunters? Is this serious or a joke?

Most of the state does not care about the Bucks, it is very regional to SE Wisconsin. Farther you leave there the more irrelevant the Bucks get. I think most bars in Central Wisconsin and north would vote to have Seinfeld or House Hunters on the TVs over the Bucks. For whatever reason people just don't get into pro basketball in Wisconsin. I thought the success may change that, but It really hasn't all that much. Maybe the title and continued success can get people into it.

Bars in central WI show House Hunters? Is this serious or a joke?

I have definitely seen House Hunters at a bar more than once, I don't remember where it was though. Memory makes me want to say it was Fox Valley area. Seinfeld I actually think was in SE Wisconsin at a college bar. I mean it is whatever someone requests so you can get some strange things. Most Central Wisconsin bars I have gone to gravitate towards golf or college basketball. Rarely see much in the way of NBA.

Yea due to the oddness of the game I'd have done Cha + points today. They played badly but chances are at some point soon you'll look back up at the TV and they'll be up 10.

Just need to keep Giannis out of foul trouble. Hope he can avoid picking up his 3rd before halftime.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Malik Monk finally had a big boy game otherwise that one's not even close from the get go.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
oWmv0Lz.png
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Eh, it's not that simple. I'm a Bucks fan. Going to next Friday's game. But if I haven't planned on going to the arena, I typically don't watch. Don't have cable, don't have any live sports streams, and 5-10pm are the busiest hours of my day. Rarely sit down to watch the Brewers on TV either.

The regular season in the NBA does feel largely pointless. You pretty much know the Bucks are a #1 seed and there are months to just sit and wait.

I think the MLB's million games just more palatable because baseball is synonymous with summer and it's much more of a "drop in" sport. You can catch innings 2 and 3, go do something, and come back for 8 and 9.

No doubt. Although if I have time, I can sit down and watch a 3 hour Brewer game and genuinely enjoy it, and appreciate the journey of their season a lot more than I can appreciate the NBA journey. I don't know why. Maybe it's because pennant races in MLB tend to be closer and even though the season is twice as long, every game seems to matter more because it's common to see a race come down to a game or two. Maybe it's the uniqueness of every MLB game. Every Bucks game is mostly the same to me. Giannis will score about 30 and add 12 boards, Middleton or Bledsoe will add 20, the bench will contribute, the Bucks will let their opponent hang around awhile and win by 15.

I do enjoy watching Giannis play and appreciate what the Bucks do, but Bucks games are generally background noise for me if I have it on. If it's close in the 4th I'll be paying attention. In the postseason I'll be fully invested. But for now, barring a Giannis injury the Bucks are going to be the 1 seed, and they are not going to be challenged before the Eastern semis. So to me, that's really when it starts and everything until then is just filler. I think if you really are all in on the Bucks this time of year you need to be into the side quests (will the Bucks win 70? Will Giannis win MVP again? Will we be active at the trade deadline?)

The Bucks started 6 and 3. They are 34 and 3 since then.

That is pretty crazy, now that the Packers are done I am going to try to take in more of their games on TV. I struggle watching the NBA, the scoring is too fast paced and I usually get bored and only watch in 5 minute spurts before flipping the channel. The problem is to appreciate the league you really do need to watch the whole game, last time I did it was back in the Allen/Cassel/Big Dog eastern finals year and it was pretty fun. The Miami Heat super team really turned me off, I lived in South Florida at the time and was sort of annoyed watching the fans celebrate that title. I think maybe soccer is like that, the superstars all gravitate to a few major market teams in western Europe, it seems like a similar international sport.

Eh, it's not that simple. I'm a Bucks fan. Going to next Friday's game. But if I haven't planned on going to the arena, I typically don't watch. Don't have cable, don't have any live sports streams, and 5-10pm are the busiest hours of my day. Rarely sit down to watch the Brewers on TV either.

The regular season in the NBA does feel largely pointless. You pretty much know the Bucks are a #1 seed and there are months to just sit and wait.

I think the MLB's million games just more palatable because baseball is synonymous with summer and it's much more of a "drop in" sport. You can catch innings 2 and 3, go do something, and come back for 8 and 9.

No doubt. Although if I have time, I can sit down and watch a 3 hour Brewer game and genuinely enjoy it, and appreciate the journey of their season a lot more than I can appreciate the NBA journey. I don't know why. Maybe it's because pennant races in MLB tend to be closer and even though the season is twice as long, every game seems to matter more because it's common to see a race come down to a game or two. Maybe it's the uniqueness of every MLB game. Every Bucks game is mostly the same to me. Giannis will score about 30 and add 12 boards, Middleton or Bledsoe will add 20, the bench will contribute, the Bucks will let their opponent hang around awhile and win by 15.

I do enjoy watching Giannis play and appreciate what the Bucks do, but Bucks games are generally background noise for me if I have it on. If it's close in the 4th I'll be paying attention. In the postseason I'll be fully invested. But for now, barring a Giannis injury the Bucks are going to be the 1 seed, and they are not going to be challenged before the Eastern semis. So to me, that's really when it starts and everything until then is just filler. I think if you really are all in on the Bucks this time of year you need to be into the side quests (will the Bucks win 70? Will Giannis win MVP again? Will we be active at the trade deadline?)

Maybe how much more difficult it is to make the playoffs in MLB vs NBA is a factor in that so reg season to get that spot is more important (kinka like the CFB situation). Another could be that once in the MLB playoffs anyone has a chance whereas the NBA that simply isn't the case

It's hard to believe the Bucks are on that list of best starts. I really had given up hope of this team ever doing anything just a few years ago. I used to always say in conversation they had to win the lottery. And when they did, they got Bogut.

I just never envisioned them being truly relevant, at least not for 20-30 years.

Do you guys think they are going to win 70 games, and do you think it matters?

I think they will fall short, but I think it does matter in terms of how this team is measured historically. However, it only matters if they win an NBA championship.

I think they will fall short, but I think it does matter in terms of how this team is measured historically. However, it only matters if they win an NBA championship.

Yes and no. Yes they will win 70 and no it does not matte if they do. Their bench players are so good that they can win games on their own. The Paris game is a good example . They starter were just ok and the Hornets was playing over their heads, a perfect scenario for a loss. Even the normal bench guys were just ok. In comes Patty C and he helps spark the bench. First lead comes on his steal and jam. after that it was all Bucks.

I don’t care how many games they win, as long as they win the last game in June. 70 would be cool, but the title is all that matters. That said, I think they wind up in the 67-68 range, still have some tough games left and they may rest players leading into the playoffs if it’s all locked up already. The East is already won, they have stretched the lead on the Lakers to 4 games now too.

Archived