Brewer Fanatic

Dodgers trade partner

I've seen rumblings of the Dodgers interest in Rendon, which creates a serious log jam in the infield if it actually happens. Turner could be made available, or more likely...utility man Muncy gets made available. Either guy could be very useful for this team. It's also been thoroughly discussed in another thread that Hader makes a ton of sense for the Dodgers while Lux is a glove-like fit for this roster(ok he's a great fit for any roster but he specifically fills our most glaring need in the best possible way). The Dodgers are also loaded at catcher, while the Brewers need a catcher. I feel like there are just so many possible trades, both big and small, that could happen between these 2 teams. It would almost be surprising if we DON'T make at least one trade with the Dodgers.

If they are interested in Rendon, I would think they would look to move some money to make some room for him on the roster. The Dodgers could be our one stop shop for the offseason.

Brewers receive:

3B Justin Turner (1/$20 million remaining)

SS/2B Gavin Lux

C Will Smith

RHP Josiah Gray

Dodgers receive:

LHP Josh Hader

RHP Freddy Peralta

SS Brice Turang

The Brewers take on Turner and all of his contract. They can sign Moose and move him to 1B for 2020 with Turner at 3rd. Thames’ option is not picked up. Lux is the opening day SS for Milwaukee.

CF Cain

2B Hiura

RF Yelich

3B Turner

1B Moustakas

LF Braun

SS Lux

C Smith

P

Nice balance of lefties and righties without any holes anywhere 1-8. Moving Hader, declining Thames’ option, and non-tendering Shaw saves approximately $15 million. Most of that is used to retain Moose and Grandal’s contract is replaced with Turner on a one year deal. Then next offseason, Turner and Braun’s contracts come off, leaving a ton of room for moves next offseason.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Here you go:

Brewers get:

RHP Joe Kelly (-12.7M value)

IF/OF Chris Taylor (10.0M value)

$4M (to cover contract buyout in 2022)

Dodgers get:

B grade prospect worth about 1.5M

Numbers are from the fun trade simulator at https://www.baseballtradevalues.com/trade-simulator/

The Dodgers already owe around $170M in salaries (including arby) for 2020. They reportedly are interested in Rendon - who will likely get around $35M a year. Plus they probably want Ryu back. They need to shed money.

Kelly is due $8.8M in 2020 and 2021. Plus there's a $4M buyout for 2022 on a $12M salary. We'll let the Dodgers pay that.

Taylor is due about $4.5M in 2020 in arby.

Combined, this samba them over $13M - not a small sum.

Kelly goes to our bullpen. He's not been particularly good of late, but his FIP numbers indicate he may be better than his ERA (4.56 and 4.39) over the last couple of years. If he can pitch more toward those numbers, he's an okay player.

Taylor can slot in at SS, plus play 2B and 3B as needed. If Arcia somehow gets better, Taylor is still a guy that can get a ton of playing time all over the field

In the end, you add Taylor for two years. This solidifies shortstop - a huge need. Of course, it takes on $13M in salary - but you're not giving up much of anything else.

I too love the idea of working out a trade with the Dodgers this winter. Just seems like a perfect match in so many ways. Do we know if the Dodgers view Lux as their 2B of the future though? Or, is he really more of a SS defensively? I'm hoping he's an above-average SS defensively - in which case they would clearly have a logjam with Seager already filling that spot.

Also, would the Dodgers be more willing to part with Smith or Ruiz at the C position? If it's Ruiz - is he the type of guy that you could turn the keys over to next year and have him be your #1 guy at C, or is he still a year or so away from taking on that type of a role for a contending MLB team?

I'd love to make a big deal this winter (such as the one you've outlined above) with the Dodgers, as it seems like these two teams could match up pretty well with each other as far as "need" are concerned.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I too love the idea of working out a trade with the Dodgers this winter. Just seems like a perfect match in so many ways. Do we know if the Dodgers view Lux as their 2B of the future though? Or, is he really more of a SS defensively? I'm hoping he's an above-average SS defensively - in which case they would clearly have a logjam with Seager already filling that spot.

I have read that Lux is a solid SS. Not great, but solid. His biggest issue has been throwing accuracy. He had a lot of errors his first few years (61 errors in his first 208 games). But he was better last year. He probably can stick at SS (at least for now), but he likely won't be great with the glove.

The Dodgers supposedly see him as a 2B with Seager already there. Defensively, they feel he'll be an above average 2B. And the accuracy issues won't be as big a deal.

If Lux is not good at SS and Hiura is not good at 2B, doesn't this cause a pretty big issue defensively?

I'm not sure that is a good plan up the middle.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

If they are interested in Rendon, I would think they would look to move some money to make some room for him on the roster. The Dodgers could be our one stop shop for the offseason.

Brewers receive:

SS/2B Gavin Lux

C Will Smith

RHP Josiah Gray

Dodgers receive:

LHP Josh Hader

RHP Freddy Peralta

SS Brice Turang

The Brewers take on Turner and all of his contract. They can sign Moose and move him to 1B for 2020 with Turner at 3rd. Thames’ option is not picked up. Lux is the opening day SS for Milwaukee.

CF Cain

2B Hiura

RF Yelich

3B Turner

1B Moustakas

LF Braun

SS Lux

C Smith

P

Nice balance of lefties and righties without any holes anywhere 1-8. Moving Hader, declining Thames’ option, and non-tendering Shaw saves approximately $15 million. Most of that is used to retain Moose and Grandal’s contract is replaced with Turner on a one year deal. Then next offseason, Turner and Braun’s contracts come off, leaving a ton of room for moves next offseason.

There’s no way the Dodgers do this trade

I agree that trade is far off. Turner is still good, he's not an albatross contract that we're gaining value by taking it on.

Really I don't see how the Dodgers can fit in Rendon or why they feel they need it. Only logic would be if Turner is moved this year if he he only has 1 year left, there just isn't enough spots to play all these guys. But really they should be focused elsewhere since Turner is still good for now. They need relief help and have to start planning on the Buehler contract, Bellinger contract, Seager decision on his contract, etc. They should be planning money for them.

But count me in on going for Turner if he's made available.

If Lux is not good at SS and Hiura is not good at 2B, doesn't this cause a pretty big issue defensively?

I'm not sure that is a good plan up the middle.

Yeah, I guess that's my main concern with Lux. If he's not at least an above-average player defensively at SS, then you really are turning yourself into a very poor defensive team. We already saw the issues that Hiura's defense caused us at 2B at times this year, and if you also have that over at SS - it would be a BIG problem. So, the more I think of this - the more that I'm thinking Lux may not be the good match that I was hoping he'd be for us.

Brewers receive:

SS/2B Gavin Lux

C Will Smith

RHP Josiah Gray

Dodgers receive:

LHP Josh Hader

RHP Freddy Peralta

SS Brice Turang

CF Cain

2B Hiura

RF Yelich

3B Turner

1B Moustakas

LF Braun

SS Lux

C Smith

P

There’s no way the Dodgers do this trade[/quote

I think the only way the Dodgers do a trade like this is if they really do make a run at signing Rendon. Then, they probably would be looking to shed Turner's salary. In either case though - I'm guessing they'd want to substitute Ruiz in as the C coming back to the Brewers in this deal - instead of Will Smith, who at least already established himself at the big league level this year.

Still though - highly unlikely that a deal like this would take place. Fun to think about though!

I don’t think the trade is that far off.

Turner is owed $20 million so it’s not like it’s an insignificant amount financially. Plus he only has 1 year left on his deal.

Breaking it down, you could look at it like Freddy Peralta and Brice Turang for Justin Turner and Josiah Gray. I would say we are giving up too much in the first part of the trade. Josh Hader for Gavin Lux and Will Smith is the other part of the trade. Turang is included knowing that Lux is coming over in part of the trade, helping balance the two parts of the trade out.

The Dodgers are getting a young starting pitcher with multiple years of control left. Plus the Brewers’ top prospect at a premium position that’s a couple years away. Turang is only included because Lux is part of the deal coming back to the Brewers.

Hader for Lux and Smith might be steep, but again the Dodgers are feeling the pressure to win. Arguably the top reliever in the game with 4 years of well below market value for his services being moved in a trade is literally unheard of. A trade like that hasn’t happened before. Stearns holds all the leverage as well. And look at what Chapman got for half a season. Do I think it’s a steep price and one that favors the Brewers? Yes. Do I think it’s realistic and would accomplish what both teams are interested in doing this offseason? Also yes. Dodgers get their guy at third for the foreseeable future, clear money to make that move possible in the first place, and get the best reliever in the game. Brewers get a couple young impact bats for 6 years at two positions where they have no decent options plus a good veteran bat for one year on an expensive contract at a position where they have no other option currently. Turner doesn’t hold a ton of value himself as a 35 year old making $20 million for one year.

Here you go:

Brewers get:

RHP Joe Kelly (-12.7M value)

IF/OF Chris Taylor (10.0M value)

$4M (to cover contract buyout in 2022)

Dodgers get:

B grade prospect worth about 1.5M

I like this a lot actually, considering Taylor really won't have a path to playing time if they sign Rendon...at least in the infield. I also think we are best served having our utility IF be a RH hitter considering how LH we are. I've always felt Kelly was very underrated as a pitcher. The Dodgers have done salary dump trades before...

If the Dodgers were going to go after Rendon it would make sense to trade Turner as Muncy would be a cheaper option at 1B than Turner.

Turner is the face of the Dodgers and still a good player. Trading him would be a bad look for a contending team. On paper, I completely agree with you though...especially considering Turner's age.

If the Dodgers were going to go after Rendon it would make sense to trade Turner as Muncy would be a cheaper option at 1B than Turner.

Turner is the face of the Dodgers and still a good player. Trading him would be a bad look for a contending team. On paper, I completely agree with you though...especially considering Turner's age.

Bellinger has more than likely replaced Turner as the face of the Dodgers but really that is Kershaw more than anyone else.

Regardless the Dodger fans would get over it real quick if they get Rendon.

Turner is owed $20 million so it’s not like it’s an insignificant amount financially. Plus he only has 1 year left on his deal.

Breaking it down, you could look at it like Freddy Peralta and Brice Turang for Justin Turner and Josiah Gray. I would say we are giving up too much in the first part of the trade. Josh Hader for Gavin Lux and Will Smith is the other part of the trade. Turang is included knowing that Lux is coming over in part of the trade, helping balance the two parts of the trade out.

The Dodgers are getting a young starting pitcher with multiple years of control left. Plus the Brewers’ top prospect at a premium position that’s a couple years away. Turang is only included because Lux is part of the deal coming back to the Brewers.

Hader for Lux and Smith might be steep, but again the Dodgers are feeling the pressure to win. Arguably the top reliever in the game with 4 years of well below market value for his services being moved in a trade is literally unheard of. A trade like that hasn’t happened before. Stearns holds all the leverage as well. And look at what Chapman got for half a season. Do I think it’s a steep price and one that favors the Brewers? Yes. Do I think it’s realistic and would accomplish what both teams are interested in doing this offseason? Also yes. Dodgers get their guy at third for the foreseeable future, clear money to make that move possible in the first place, and get the best reliever in the game. Brewers get a couple young impact bats for 6 years at two positions where they have no decent options plus a good veteran bat for one year on an expensive contract at a position where they have no other option currently. Turner doesn’t hold a ton of value himself as a 35 year old making $20 million for one year.

Problem is the Brewers then have perhaps the weakest defensive infield in MLB. Who plays third in 2021? The pen is extremely weakened for 2020 and no money to add a starting pitcher. Gray is a year or two away. It's like you're throwing 2020 away and banking on Turner's and Braun's salaries coming off the books for 2021.

Problem is the Brewers then have perhaps the weakest defensive infield in MLB. Who plays third in 2021? The pen is extremely weakened for 2020 and no money to add a starting pitcher. Gray is a year or two away. It's like you're throwing 2020 away and banking on Turner's and Braun's salaries coming off the books for 2021.

In this scenario though - aren't you basically replacing Grandal's one year salary with Turner's? I think the original idea then included re-signing Moose and either playing Moose or Turner at 1B next year (not sure if that's a viable option though?) - and then not picking up Thames's option. So, in the grand scheme of things you might actually save a bit of money - if you look at Turner replacing both Grandal and Thames's contracts?

Again though - a lot of moving parts there, and I think this is one of those trade ideas that is fun to think about in our own "fantasy land," but probably not one that would actually ever happen.

I mentioned above that Moose would sign to stay with us and play first this season. He would switch back to third next season. The pen would definitely take a blow, but Knebel would be back, Suter looks like a weapon out there, I’m banking on Pomeranz coming back, Wahl is a good option, possibly a bounce back season from Burnes, Nate Griep and Luke Barker look legit and could be great options in 2020 at some point, plus you mix in Devin Williams, Ray Black, and Alex Claudio. I think the Brewers would be fine.

In this scenario though - aren't you basically replacing Grandal's one year salary with Turner's? I think the original idea then included re-signing Moose and either playing Moose or Turner at 1B next year (not sure if that's a viable option though?) - and then not picking up Thames's option. So, in the grand scheme of things you might actually save a bit of money - if you look at Turner replacing both Grandal and Thames's contracts?

Again though - a lot of moving parts there, and I think this is one of those trade ideas that is fun to think about in our own "fantasy land," but probably not one that would actually ever happen.

Yes that’s exactly what I’m thinking. Turner replaces Grandal (similar finances) and letting Thames, Shaw, and Nelson walk lets you easily bring back Moose. That doesn’t include Perez being gone, Chacin’s contract coming off, or other players they could move on from like Guerra (another bullpen option) and Anderson. There would still be plenty of money left over to sign a starting pitcher.

• 1 month later...
The Dodgers reportedly met with Anthony Rendon. If they signed him I’m not sure what exactly that would mean for the final season of Justin Turner being under contract? On MLB Network they speculated this evening that the Dodgers may move Justin Turner to 1B and trade Corey Seager (two years remaining under contract) if they sign Rendon (presumably to play Lux at SS).
Not just “at Night” anymore.

Archived