Brewer Fanatic

Game 7: Raiders @ Packers - Sunday, October 20th Noon

homer

Who said I was using yesterday as a gauge? I've always thought that giving young WRs like MVS, Lazard and Shephard a shot to shine, while mixing in role players like Allison, Kumerow and Grant would be more advantageous both short and long term than spending draft capital on rentals like AJ Green or Emmanuel Sanders. It's hard for me to advocate bringing in a older slot guy like Sanders (who has battled injuries the last few seasons) when they very easily could have spent much less money to bring Cobb back. I think this team has plenty of weapons at its disposal, especially when Adams gets back and MVS and Allison are back to full health.

Exactly how long do you think it'd take for a WR'er who's never played in a Shanahan system to come in to Green Bay, learn the system and then develop chemistry with Rodgers? Just getting a bit name guy in the middle of the season is almost certainly not going to help the Packers offense.

The Packers next significant additions to their offense will be the draft most likely. I'd have brought Cobb back for 5 million dollars, but we didn't.

Also, I don't really see a problem with the skill group we have. If Rodgers would trust them a bit more as he did last week, we'd be fine. He threw a couple of balls into tight window's and the Packers came up with them.

I think the only difference is Rodgers is just starting to get this offense down and starting to trust some of his receivers a bit more.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I don't think I want to give up a 2nd rounder like the Pats did for Sanu.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Darren Waller is awesome. That guy made a few amazing moves/catches. I can't believe those were his first TDs of the year.

This is why I'm so excited about Tonyan and so disappointed he hasn't put it together with Rodgers yet.

When you have a TE who can run away from LB'ers and just go up and block out safeties, you're forced to play with another good cover man on the field and that opens up the running game.

That's the key component we're missing, not a big name WR'er. A TE who can open up the middle of the field.

Jared Cook should still be a Packer, but he turned down more from GB than he ended up getting in Oakland. Now he's on probably the best team in the NFC. But even when Cook was here, he didn't really make an impact until the end of the season. So Tonyan still has a chance to get back and make a difference. Though the fact that they decided to bring Sternberger back from IR despite the fact that he'd shown very little this year makes me think that Tonyan has a more serious injury than just a hip flexor or something(though those are bad enough).

Who said I was using yesterday as a gauge? I've always thought that giving young WRs like MVS, Lazard and Shephard a shot to shine, while mixing in role players like Allison, Kumerow and Grant would be more advantageous both short and long term than spending draft capital on rentals like AJ Green or Emmanuel Sanders. It's hard for me to advocate bringing in a older slot guy like Sanders (who has battled injuries the last few seasons) when they very easily could have spent much less money to bring Cobb back. I think this team has plenty of weapons at its disposal, especially when Adams gets back and MVS and Allison are back to full health.

Exactly how long do you think it'd take for a WR'er who's never played in a Shanahan system to come in to Green Bay, learn the system and then develop chemistry with Rodgers? Just getting a bit name guy in the middle of the season is almost certainly not going to help the Packers offense.

The Packers next significant additions to their offense will be the draft most likely. I'd have brought Cobb back for 5 million dollars, but we didn't.

Also, I don't really see a problem with the skill group we have. If Rodgers would trust them a bit more as he did last week, we'd be fine. He threw a couple of balls into tight window's and the Packers came up with them.

I think the only difference is Rodgers is just starting to get this offense down and starting to trust some of his receivers a bit more.

Exactly! I personally feel the current receiving room has as much talent and big play ability as it's had since 2011. The team has never had receivers with the type of size/speed combination that these guys currently bring to the table. We are a far cry from having to trot retreads or never-will-be's like Andrae Thurman, Jarrett Boykin, Ruvell Martin or Trevor Davis out there.

Exactly! I personally feel the current receiving room has as much talent and big play ability as it's had since 2011. The team has never had receivers with the type of size/speed combination that these guys currently bring to the table. We are a far cry from having to trot retreads or never-will-be's like Andrae Thurman, Jarrett Boykin, Ruvell Martin or Trevor Davis out there.

I actually think Trevor Davis is a victim of Rodgers. I think he's a talented WR'er, but Rodgers just doesn't give guys the chance. Darius Shepard appears to be an elite route runner. But he threw one to him and he slipped and it was a 10 point swing. Because of that, I'd be surprised to see him get another chance. Janis is another guy. I remember Janis was in there on a play down inside the 5 and he ran a fade and Rodgers threw a quick out and that was pretty much it. Didn't matter that he was big and fast and obviously very good with the ball in his hands, he didn't trust him.

But aside from that minor disagreement on Davis aside, if you include St. Brown in that group, I'd agree, they have the talent they need. I think they do need to pick up a Jennings/Driver-ish type receiver, someone who's good in the slot, a smooth route runner and good after the catch, but they can only do so much in one off-season.

And if Rodgers is willing to continue to take those underneath routes like he did earlier in his career, I think we're going to see more of those big plays. I think teams have been creeping up on us...and the few times Rodgers had gone over the top the last couple years when dealing with injuries, he's been missing.

For the record, if the Vikes would EVER contemplate a trade with us, I would give up a 1st for Diggs. I love watching him and his style of play. Beyond that, I guess I'd be looking at OJ Howard as a trade target? But I think you're looking at a 2nd rounder there also and that's pretty rich.

I'm still of the opinion that the Packers need to add to the defensive side of the ball. Patrick Peterson....the Cards said they were trading him and they(various reporters) were talking about a 3rd/4th for him. They're giving up too much separation on these routes and Peterson is a stud corner. But mainly it's just because I think Rodgers is too fickle with his WR'ers and it's easier to fit in a defensive player mid-season than an offensive player.

The one area that I think Favre was better, he could get by with lesser WR'ers because he didn't seem to care who he was throwing it to. Rodgers seems to be more demanding and far less forgiving. Bill Schroder never even approaches 1000 yards with Aaron Rodgers. In fact I think he probably doesn't end up matching Jeff Janis' production.

Archived