Brewer Fanatic

Trade Proposal: Ryan Braun & Josh Hader to Dodgers for Gavin Lux

Well that's not how I meant it, sorry if not clear. The way the original person said Tatis wasn't a good comp because he had played in MLB. I pointed out the next person meant "prior to 2019" when Tatis had not yet played. So I was saying it was a good comparison because basically both haven't played at MLB. I know Lux did, I'm saying 20 games is as good as not playing in my mind and that sample has next to no value imo. Essentially I was saying pre 2019 Tatis is comparable situation to pre 2020 Lux and that OP wasn't trying to compare post 2019 on both guys. Man, hope I didn't misinterpret way at the beginning of this and the original was actually talking about Lux, lol.

ETA: quick reread it does seem I interpreted correctly, just wasn't clear what I meant.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lux is just as likely to provide LESS "surplus value" because he is not much of a SS, and he still is an unproven prospect. His value to the Brewers would be as a SS, and as many have already said, his best position is 2B where the Brewers have Hiura.

Given what a defensive liability Hiura is at 2B, his future very well may end up being at firstbase, without significant improvement.

Lux is just as likely to provide LESS "surplus value" because he is not much of a SS, and he still is an unproven prospect. His value to the Brewers would be as a SS, and as many have already said, his best position is 2B where the Brewers have Hiura.

Given what a defensive liability Hiura is at 2B, his future very well may end up being at firstbase, without significant improvement.

He can’t field a baseball either and first baseman still have to make many throws themselves.

Everyone knows the Cubs drastically overpaid by giving up Torres for Chapman.

Was it foolish? I don't know, they won the World Series. Maybe without that trade they win more, though. Who knows?

One of the reasons they overpaid was because of timing - it was in-season. Melvin used to say that pitchers are worth more in-season and hitters are worth more in the off-season. The fragility of arms, compared to bats, tends to lead to greater demand in late July, thus inflating the return. And in late July teams know exactly what they have and whether they are legitimate contenders, further inflating demand.

Managers are paid to win games, GMs are paid to win championships. Theo was hired for one job - to end a 100-year-old streak. He did exactly that, and paid a price for it. If you look at what that championship has meant to the Cubs revenue - ticket demand and prices have skyrocketed, the area around Wrigley has been built up with a hotel, restaurants, park, condos/apartments, etc. - I don't think the Cubs owners have regretted what he gave up one bit.

Archived