Brewer Fanatic

2019 MLB Postseason: NLCS & ALCS Series

Eye Black
It's more than just that though. The drag on the ball has dramatically increased. Less drag is what is believed to have caused the juiced balls in the first place.
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's more than just that though. The drag on the ball has dramatically increased. Less drag is what is believed to have caused the juiced balls in the first place.

So if drag has dramatically increased, have the data taken into account that cooler fall air provides alot more drag naturally on a baseball, particularly cool fall air systems that carry rain and arent at altitude? If so, then maybe there is merit to this issue - if it's just that the measured drag on balls is higher during october than it is in july causing balls that were landing in the front two rows 2 months earlier now being caught on the track, then that's a captain obvious statement. I dont know the answer to that, honestly curious...

Heres a tweet from that SI article that talks about it. Obviously I haven't personally looked into it, but I'm reasonably confident this person has.
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

Community Moderator
Heres a tweet from that SI article that talks about it. Obviously I haven't personally looked into it, but I'm reasonably confident this person has.

Yep, the drag numbers are completely off the charts of the seasonal cycle, including indoor parks like Tampa and Houston.

That video does a nice job summing up what a lot of people have noticed and thought. I also read that even the games outside have had warmer temps than in years past. So comparing it to last year and the year before could be a challenge as well.

Like someone else posted, MLB is all about stats and numbers. Obviously people are going to be able to dig up dirt.

Bob Arthur knows a lot about measuring drag. What he doesn't know a lot about is how to do a proper study. Comparing a few pitchers on a few teams to the entire MLB data is wrong. He should be comparing the same teams/stadiums and pitchers from the regular season to the post-season. Then he would have "proof" that there's a difference between playoffs and regular season. All he has is data that could very likely have a sampling effect that could easily disappear when he actually does the correct analysis. The numbers from previous years show clearly no change between regular season and post-season (2015-2017), so if there is a true change, was it intentional? Assuming that MLB has done something intentionally to somehow skew the results, in a way that is unpredictable, is just more crazy conspiracy theory b.s. In fact, an argument could be made based on team makeup and data that reduced travel would hurt the Dodgers and Yankees more than the other teams, which then leads to why would MLB try to give two teams in their largest markets a handicap?

What is clear by Arthur's analysis is that MLB could test each baseball to make sure it meets a specific drag number and throw out those out of range. Then there wouldn't be so much wasted time on such an idiotic issue.

These closer choke jobs bode well for someone buying high on Hader.

Or maybe all the Ivy League educated GMs believe that even the very best relievers are incredibly volatile & therefore not worth overpaying for (unless you are selling out to win your first WS in a century plus).

Archived