Brewer Fanatic

Game 6: Lions @ Packers - Monday, October 14th 7:15PM

homer
Hey would ya look at that! He was down. Oh well....5 - 1.

8adERH0.png

He's clearly still bobbling the ball and doesn't have control of it yet, which you can't see from a still. He doesn't gain control until he's in the end zone or at the very least there's no way you can overturn the call on the field.

final_5da543c36f43f50014e76b82_373442.gif

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Knee is down, but I don't see the Lions defender making contact. In any case, 50-50 call.

In any case, like I mentioned earlier. I like the Packers' chances of putting it in 1st and goal from the 1-inch line.

They haven’t exactly been that great at it this season.

That's not Aaron Jones time. It's Jamal Williams time. And he was balling tonight. The way he was running it tonight, I like his chances of punching it in there.

At the 6 inch line it may just be Aaron Rodgers time. See which side Harrison goes to, you go the other way.

Anyway, my take away, the Packers played poorly, yet they still won their 5th game in week 6 or the season and some young guys made some huge plays down the stretch.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

He's clearly still bobbling the ball and doesn't have control of it yet, which you can't see from a still. He doesn't gain control until he's in the end zone or at the very least there's no way you can overturn the call on the field.

final_5da543c36f43f50014e76b82_373442.gif

Agreed. Not enough to overturn it.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Well I'll say this. The defense played like poop the first quarter+, and then played really good the rest of the way. They played well against the run tonight (hey, it's the Lions, but still) and continued to get pressure on the passer all night long. Lions jumped out to a big lead and the defense didn't let the game get out of hand and let the offense slowly grind their way back into it.

And most of that damage was done on 2 plays when you were deep on the depth chart at safety. They got a 60-ish yard completion on that flee flicker when Redmond bit hard and then for some reason Sullivan was supposed to be helping King over the top on Golladay. Don't know how a UDFA who is a CB is responsible for that, but he obviously was and he didn't get there. So even in that first quarter, it was mostly just those 2 plays. The 1st play and then right after the Jones fumble.

This Detroit team does seem different. I think they've finally got a coach. I think they've had more talented teams. When they had Suh, Ansah, Farley, Calvin, Tate...etc...but awful coaching.

This iteration isn't as talented, but they're better coached in my opinion.

Pumped they won the game. They made incredible plays to win!

Calls went the Pack's way, though.... Very questionable calls gave us key first downs that likely, if not called, would have led to a Lions win.

And if we rewind a few weeks, it was pretty blatant interference on MVS at the end of the game against the Eagles. Refs giveth, refs taketh away. I am very happy with the win, too. I'd prefer they play well enough so that the outcome isn't in the refs' hands, but it's a W. Stop trying to find a way to justify taking that away.

Knee is down, but I don't see the Lions defender making contact. In any case, 50-50 call.

In any case, like I mentioned earlier. I like the Packers' chances of putting it in 1st and goal from the 1-inch line.

They haven’t exactly been that great at it this season.

They've literally been one of the best in the NFL at it. They've got the 5th highest TD pct in the red zone. But now they can't get 6 inches?

How many of you guys are actually Packers fans? A 5-1 team that's beaten ever team in their division, a division considered the best by some, a division in which everyone's over .500(or was before Detroit fell to 2-2 tonight). And some people are fighting WAY too hard about how a incredible 35 yard pass and catch might have been 6 inches short of a TD....with over 9 minutes to go.

The Packers have struggled inside the 5 this season at punching it in. They probably do score but it’s okay to point it out. You can still be a fan of a team and point out something. You get awfully triggered when everyone doesn’t drink the koolaid with each post they make. Might want to tone down the questioning of people’s fan hood though. It’s a bit unbecoming.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

A win is a win! Calls went our way the way they didn’t in Eagles game. Adams out, Allison goes out, Tonyan who could be a big weapon out & we able to make it work!

The Smith’s..... could Gute look any better with the way those two have really transformed this Defense? Preston is up to 7 sacks & Za’Darius at 6 through 6 games!

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Lions are OK. Look like 8 or maybe 9 win team to me. Without the two Shephard miscues, GB probably wins by 10 at least. When you lose a game and win the turnover differential 3 - 0, you aren't good. Refs or no refs.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Pumped they won the game. They made incredible plays to win!

Calls went the Pack's way, though.... Very questionable calls gave us key first downs that likely, if not called, would have led to a Lions win.

And if we rewind a few weeks, it was pretty blatant interference on MVS at the end of the game against the Eagles. Refs giveth, refs taketh away. I am very happy with the win, too. I'd prefer they play well enough so that the outcome isn't in the refs' hands, but it's a W. Stop trying to find a way to justify taking that away.

Agreed on the Eagles call. Nice point.

Great win... just commenting and digesting this one like everyone else.

If the Lions were a really good team, the Packers would've been buried by the time the second quarter rolled around. They failed to capitalize and let the Packers back in the game - however alot of that is the fact Green Bay is a solid team that can actually take advantage of those opportunities despite playing without two of their three best receivers.

Lions are OK. Look like 8 or maybe 9 win team to me. Without the two Shephard miscues, GB probably wins by 10 at least.

This is what I was trying to say earlier. They are mediocre. Good enough to be in most games, but not good enough to win games where they make a bunch of mistakes. They are a team that could theoretically get 9 wins and a Wild Card spot, but just as easily finish with 6-7 wins and out of everything. They are a typical Detroit team that hovers around .500. Perhaps that is the definition of a good Lions team, though.

I think when you have a football game that is decided by 7 points or less, it's really easy to say "if this one play didn't happen", etc, etc, etc. Well, I mean, it's the nature of football that if any one of several of the plays swing the other way, it's entirely possible that the game turns out differently.

The interception at the goal line. The Lions TD that wasn't a TD. 2 phantom hands to the face. There's a ton of plays that you can say "if that play goes the other way.... " the game swings. It was a 1 point game. It's really easy to play the what if game in football. At the end of the day, the Packers won. Gifts from the zebras......whatever. At the end of the season, it's just another W.

Right, but turnovers usually have a huge impact on game outcome. I'd be curious to know what one's odds of winning typically are when the TO diff is +3

The Packers have struggled inside the 5 this season at punching it in. They probably do score but it’s okay to point it out. You can still be a fan of a team and point out something. You get awfully triggered when everyone doesn’t drink the koolaid with each post they make. Might want to tone down the questioning of people’s fan hood though. It’s a bit unbecoming.

So....to recap. You stated as a fact that the Packers had struggled scoring in the red zone this year. I pointed out that they were 5th in the league. And that's triggered?

It's not cool aid pal, it's facts. See, you can say something's true because ONE part of ONE game stands out, but it doesn't make it so.

Right, but turnovers usually have a huge impact on game outcome. I'd be curious to know what one's odds of winning typically are when the TO diff is +3

I would guess (and I truly am guessing) that it's less than 20%.

It's less than 9 pct. Teams that are 3+ in turnovers win 91.4 pct of the time.

Finally made it to Lambeau Field for a game, which was an awesome experience. Quite the game to see in person.

I’ll have to read through the game thread later, but holding Detroit to field goals off the three turnovers kept the Packers in the game. That might be the key stat tonight.

Awesome. Hope you had a good time and enjoyed Green Bay.

Have fun poking through the GT. I honestly thought they were doomed after the second turnover (and the third). What percentage of games are won by the team who loses the turnover battle by 3? 1%?

So....to recap. You stated as a fact that the Packers had struggled scoring in the red zone this year. I pointed out that they were 5th in the league. And that's triggered?

It's not cool aid pal, it's facts. See, you can say something's true because ONE part of ONE game stands out, but it doesn't make it so.

I never mentioned red zone in any of my posts so your recap nor your original post is factual. That usually happens when you’re quick triggered.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I forget that the NFL makes referees available to the media pool after the game, which is honestly about the only thing the NFL does better than other leagues at anything regarding officiating. After hearing Clete Blakeman's insistance regarding the helmet-to-helmet penalty, I went and actually looked up the rule:

There are two 'helmet-to-helmet rules; one for intentional, unimpeded contact to the head area, which is an ejectionable offense, and an 'unnecessary roughness' version where intent doesn't matter, it's just 'forceable contact to the head area'. The Detroit DB was called for the latter, which does seem to fit the letter of the rule. You can debate whether a DB going for the ball should be a mitigating circumstance, but that appears to only be part of the college rule, not the NFL.

In short, I think that penalty was correctly interpreted, just IMO.

^Which is why I said that flag is always called. Refs see helmet on helmet, that flag comes out 100% of the time.

I've said this a bunch of times but please kill replay. It hasn't solved anything. Loads of mistakes still in the game and we're just slowing the pace of play and killing the suspense factor. All of it, kill it. No don't keep it for blatantly missed calls because they still screw those up too. Just get rid of it all and live with human error. I can pinpoint the decline of this sport's TV product to replay coming back. We all overreacted to bad calls and guess what, we still have them.

The issue I have, and always have, is that with almost ALL THINGS FOOTBALL, the NCAA gets it right, while the NFL manages to screw it up. The college review system has been better since day 1, and is unobtrusive and typically results in an accurate call being made. The college OT is better. The targeting rules are better. The NFL just can't get it right, while a different league has.

They just need to swallow their pride on replay, scrap the garbage system that they have, and adopt the better system that already exists.

I forget that the NFL makes referees available to the media pool after the game, which is honestly about the only thing the NFL does better than other leagues at anything regarding officiating. After hearing Clete Blakeman's insistance regarding the helmet-to-helmet penalty, I went and actually looked up the rule:

There are two 'helmet-to-helmet rules; one for intentional, unimpeded contact to the head area, which is an ejectionable offense, and an 'unnecessary roughness' version where intent doesn't matter, it's just 'forceable contact to the head area'. The Detroit DB was called for the latter, which does seem to fit the letter of the rule. You can debate whether a DB going for the ball should be a mitigating circumstance, but that appears to only be part of the college rule, not the NFL.

In short, I think that penalty was correctly interpreted, just IMO.

Did they say anything about the hands to the face calls?

Also agreed on the college replay and overtime rules, but I think their targeting leaves a little bit to be desired. Just in that they are too eject happy sometimes.

Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

Archived