Brewer Fanatic

Game 6: Lions @ Packers - Monday, October 14th 7:15PM

homer
Packers may be a lucky 5-1 but they aren't any luckier than Seattle who's basically won tonight's game 5 times.

I don't really care how they get there. I wasn't expecting this team to get hot until around San Diego and to get their offense going. Since White left, there's only been a couple years in which the Packers could play average offensively and still win games consistently.

I wonder if Rodgers trusts Lazard now. If so, he should have 10 catches next week.

By the way, I just watched that 1st hands to the face again. I don't know what the refs called, but he gets that left hand right in his face before getting his right arm extended on the shoulder pad. The second one...I thought that's a fairly standard call. I mean, the refs should probably just eat that flag on 3rd down, but still.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If Lazard was down before the end zone it's possible there was no contact until he crossed the plane.

The Lions defender had his left hand on Lazarus bicep and his left arm was all over Lazards' back. Please rewatch.... a few frames before pylon cam for the touch and pylon cam (2nd frame) for the knee before goalline and ball well before goaline.

The Pack was gifted that one. The biggest calls were those phantom hands in the face (or neck) calls.

Now do the Lions mistakes.

Why don't you since you're so intent on arguing the point? LOL...exactly when do you say, "ok, now argue against your opinion," outside of law school? It's your opinion. You support it. What plays did they blow.

And the Packers STILL win.

giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51aa7fdcc71a77c7f7328784c73bd72da2f993f2c56&rid=giphy.gif

Was some aspect of this confusing to you?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
If Lazard was down before the end zone it's possible there was no contact until he crossed the plane.

The Lions defender had his left hand on Lazarus bicep and his left arm was all over Lazards' back. Please rewatch.... a few frames before pylon cam for the touch and pylon cam (2nd frame) for the knee before goalline and ball well before goaline.

The Pack was gifted that one. The biggest calls were those phantom hands in the face (or neck) calls.

If you find a link to that play, please send.

And doesn't the booth review every scoring play?

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

OK, so even if they call him down, the ball is at the 1-inch line. You cannot assume a score, but I think the chances they put it in the end zone there are pretty high.

But yeah, I've probably seen the replay 20 times now, and to me he's in. And the refs obviously agreed, because they reviewed and confirmed it.

The booth missed it... oddly.

Pretty annoying listening to the ESPN guys, yeah they were bad calls but quit sticking your hand up by his neck and giving them a reason. Sometimes calls like that come out because the refs see you doing it all night. I'll take it, we got screwed by the refs all season last year.

Hey would ya look at that! He was down. Oh well....5 - 1.

8adERH0.png

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I've watched the Lazard catch just now a handful of times in slow mo, and stopped it when his knee hits, and to me it looks like the ball is at least a good couple inches over the plane of the goal when his knee hits.

Pylon cam? 2nd frame? Ball is a little inside the one.... knee down before the goal by about 3 inches...

Lazard was definitely down just short of the end zone.

However, the hands to the face calls were not phantom calls. Did Flowers "impact Bahktiari's facemask?" That's the criteria. Especially the first one. Though I don't think it's even the hand the refs were calling, but Flowers hand goes right up under the face mask and literally hits Bahk in the face.

The Packers definitely got more calls. And the Packers repeatedly gave Detroit free points.

Didn't see pylon cam. I'm also wondering if that's an angle the replay booth didn't have access to. If they don't have that angle, they probably didn't have enough evidence to overturn, because every other angle it looks like the ball crosses the plane before his knee touches down.

I've watched the Lazard catch just now a handful of times in slow mo, and stopped it when his knee hits, and to me it looks like the ball is at least a good couple inches over the plane of the goal when his knee hits.

Pylon cam? 2nd frame? Ball is a little inside the one.... knee down before the goal by about 3 inches...

Ok. He was down. So it's first and goal about 6 inches away.

What about the 4th and goal TD that the refs gave Detroit after one of the refs said he was down and neither ref could actually see the ball?

I don't get why this is the hill we're dying on.

Went back on the hands to the face calls.... if they were reviewable, they each would have been difficult to overturn, even though I think they were legal. The angles and sight lines of seeing hands to the face or neck were not always clear...

Knee is down, but I don't see the Lions defender making contact. In any case, 50-50 call.

In any case, like I mentioned earlier. I like the Packers' chances of putting it in 1st and goal from the 1-inch line.

They haven’t exactly been that great at it this season.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Knee is down, but I don't see the Lions defender making contact. In any case, 50-50 call.

In any case, like I mentioned earlier. I like the Packers' chances of putting it in 1st and goal from the 1-inch line.

That's not Aaron Jones time. It's Jamal Williams time. And he was balling tonight. The way he was running it tonight, I like his chances of punching it in there.

The first replay after the touchdown shows the defender basically laying on lazards back. Do I think he was down, yes. Do I think it matters, not really. I will say it's more likely the booth just didn't think there was evidence that he was touched while outside the end zone than that they missed it altogether.
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

Also, maybe the booth didn't think he had total control of the ball until he was past the goal line. I dunno.

At the end of the day, the Bears still suck.

Well I'll say this. The defense played like poop the first quarter+, and then played really good the rest of the way. They played well against the run tonight (hey, it's the Lions, but still) and continued to get pressure on the passer all night long. Lions jumped out to a big lead and the defense didn't let the game get out of hand and let the offense slowly grind their way back into it.

They've literally been one of the best in the NFL at it. They've got the 5th highest TD pct in the red zone. But now they can't get 6 inches?

How many of you guys are actually Packers fans? A 5-1 team that's beaten ever team in their division, a division considered the best by some, a division in which everyone's over .500(or was before Detroit fell to 2-2 tonight). And some people are fighting WAY too hard about how a incredible 35 yard pass and catch might have been 6 inches short of a TD....with over 9 minutes to go.

Also, maybe the booth didn't think he had total control of the ball until he was past the goal line. I dunno.

At the end of the day, the Bears still suck.

I didn't tape it but that's the way I saw it live, he didn't show control until he was sliding into the end zone. Until I came here it never even occurred to me that there was controversy there.

Archived