Brewer Fanatic

2019 MLB Postseason: NLDS & ALDS Series

TURBO
  • Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can't imagine too many Pirates fans are pumped for tonight's Glasnow/Cole match up.

Tiffany's "Could've Been" would probably be on the playlist of every Pirates fan at the start of game time...

Half of bfnet's population are googling Tiffany and that song now to find out what the heck you are talking about...lol

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Can't imagine too many Pirates fans are pumped for tonight's Glasnow/Cole match up.

Tiffany's "Could've Been" would probably be on the playlist of every Pirates fan at the start of game time...

Half of bfnet's population are googling Tiffany and that song now to find out what the heck you are talking about...lol

That song runs through my head for the Brewers for the last half of the 1980s.

Tonight's game might well be the last one I pay much attention to in 2019. I'd be okay with either HOU or TB advancing, though I'd guess the Astros have a better chance at eliminating NYY. (I follow the NL more closely by a long shot, and these takes reflect that.)

Somehow I'm not full of anger at the Nationals for eliminating the Brewers this go-round. Now, in part that's in contrast to my ongoing fire-of-a-billion-suns hatred for their NLCS opponent, but I also enjoyed the trip we took to Nationals Park in 2010.

Mostly, the less I see of STL and NYY, the better off I am...but the chance of that exact matchup marring our lives is pretty real. :(

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I oddly was cheering for the Dodgers to win it all. High payroll or not that team is run incredibly well all things considered. They deserve a WS title....just one though, then they can suck because they are a big market. Really that team is quite likable player wise.

At this point cheering for the Rays...good luck to them though.

Agree with your LAD take. They pretty much haven't one since I was too young to remember. They're extremely well run and I kind of feel bad for Kershaw at this point. Crazy in this 8ish year run they haven't gotten one. I'd have been fine with it. Funny how what every jabroni like us on the internet said at the deadline ended up being true though with their pen, can't believe they didn't do anything to help it out

However oddly, I would have been okay with the Dodgers winning last night and the rest of this season. That's partly because if they won out they'd have eliminated the Cardinals**...but I remember watching the Kirk Gibson Game 1 moment in 1988 on my dorm room TV during graduate school. I now have to acknowledge that is a long time ago. I hadn't even met my S.O. yet! (not for a few months)

That doesn't mean it wasn't tough to see them end the Brewers' 2018 season. Somehow, for me, it was not as tough as 2011.

**Yes, clearly my MLB emotional issues tend to involve the Cardinals. I have no reason to pretend otherwise.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I'm on board the "anyone but the Cards or Yankees" train.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

What's crazy is for all the talk of strengths and weaknesses and everything everyone did wrong this season, the Cardinals are playing in the LCS and the Brewers were hairs from pushing them to a 163 that they obviously could have won. Just a few pitches potentially determined where we are.

What's crazy is for all the talk of strengths and weaknesses and everything everyone did wrong this season, the Cardinals are playing in the LCS and the Brewers were hairs from pushing them to a 163 that they obviously could have won. Just a few pitches potentially determined where we are.

In other words, it matters to play basically .500 ball for 5 months.

It makes it easier to advance in the playoffs when you win the division, or even get the home field in the wild card game.

“Every game matters” is more than a slogan.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

Nice that you seem to ignore the Seminole-approved part.

Just because one tribe is okay with it doesn't mean all tribes have to be okay with it.

I basically agreed with your position so far but the Seminoles were the tribe the team was named after.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

FSU reached out and got official approval. The Braves have not. The Braves have ignored the issues with the chop rather than facing them. So it shouldn’t be a surprise when they get into the playoffs, play the chop song after every single pitch, and then get questions from the media about it which leads to controversy.

These traditions were initially appropriated without permission. Doesn’t really matter if they are “racist” or not, what matters is that it was disrespectful and if you are going to continue using them you better be going above and beyond to reach out to a large number of tribal communities and get overwhelming approval. Or better yet recognize that it was stolen and just stop without having to be forced to do so after public outcry. Zero sympathy for the Braves.

This.

The FSU thing is different. It is. It is a college team in a community, and the nickname and associated gestures have been negotiated by community leaders. That hasn't happened in Atlanta. It hasn't happened in Cleveland. It hasn't happened in Washington. All three of those teams have generic, broad-brush names that claim to speak for all tribes. That's the issue here, and it means they have a higher burden than FSU.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
At least the Pirates twitter account has a sense of humor.

That's pretty funny.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I wonder when the Yankees will start to take heat for their name since it was a derogatory term intentionally created to refer to a certain group of people in a negative way. It still can be used as an insult to Americans and/or specifically northerners today. But I’m guessing since they are one of the most “historic” franchises in all sports, there’s no way people will raise a stink about them. But also a lot of people don’t see how a “non-minority” could possibly be offended by anything. So I’m guessing there won’t be much of an issue for the Yankees franchise, but they should take just as much heat as any franchise since the word “yankee” always has been a derogatory term.

I wonder when the Yankees will start to take heat for their name since it was a derogatory term intentionally created to refer to a certain group of people in a negative way. It still can be used as an insult to Americans and/or specifically northerners today. But I’m guessing since they are one of the most “historic” franchises in all sports, there’s no way people will raise a stink about them. But also a lot of people don’t see how a “non-minority” could possibly be offended by anything. So I’m guessing there won’t be much of an issue for the Yankees franchise, but they should take just as much heat as any franchise since the word “yankee” always has been a derogatory term.

If we’re at the point in this MLB Playoffs thread where we’re apparently comparing the word Yankee with the name of the Washington NFL franchise and think that’s a valid comparison, it might be time to shut the site down, never mind this thread.

If that wasn’t clear enough, let’s bring the discussion back to baseball and the postseason games. Any further posts on what is or isn’t racist or derogatory equals a one month insta-ban.

Ndtrvwc.gif

Ndtrvwc.gif

Cards go from putting up a 1st inning 10 spot one game to no hitter watched the next game.

Anyone who says there are actual playoff trends worth counting on is a fool.

There was some chatter about the playoffs being tough to watch this year...I think they have mostly bee awesome, unpredictable, and extremely entertaining. The reasons why baseball is king no matter how much football and basketball enthusiasts want to slight America's true pasttime

Archived