Brewer Fanatic

Young & Controllable Players

Who is there out there to target in this category? If we want to keep having sustained success we either need 1-year deals to fall into our lap or we need to get back on the young & controllable train. Figured this would be a good place as any to start throwing out names that would be good targets. Who we got?!?
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

We don't have the prospect capital to make a Yelich type deal, but I get where you are coming from. We need to look for the Shaw's and Aguilar's of the world. Prospects/1st/2nd year players who are blocked/bottlenecked at a position on any team (Shelden Neuse?, Nick Gordon?) . Also look for veteran guys at the end of their arbitration time/contracts who we can pick up for okay prospects (Marcus Semien?).

EDIT:If we make Hiura/Hader/Grisham available then we might be able to make a bigger splash. I'd be okay trading Hader or Hiura for the right deal. I'm probably higher on Grisham (relative to his perceived trade value) than others though.

There are a ton of young controllable players in MLB, but I assume you also mean “attainable” players? I think that shortens the list pretty quickly since the value teams place on young controllable talent is seemingly at an all-time high.

The key appears to be striking a deal right before a player has a major breakout (i.e. Austin Meadows, Carson Kelly).

Some guys that I think might be attainable for what the Brewers could possibly offer include the following:

1B/OF Dominic Smith (Mets)

1B/OF Josh Naylor (Padres)

OF Clint Frazier (Yankees)

SS Adalberto Mondesi (Royals) - This one would probably clean out the top of the Brewers farm system

This is a good topic, I would be interested to see what other potential targets people have in mind that fit this category?

Not just “at Night” anymore.

I think we do add Gavin Lux to this discussion. If Hader is a guy that could be moved, Lux should be apart of that deal.

I love Thames but I would get Dominic Smith in a heartbeat. If you could pull off trades for Smith and Lux, you would have prime young bats at 1B, 2B, and SS for your infield. All young and controllable with the cost being very little. You couple that with having Yelich, possibly resigning Moose, a never aging Braun, a resurgent Cain, and you may just have something pretty great. Toss in Grandal because we are greedy fans and whoa.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Who is dumb enough to trade away young, controllable, talented players? Dombroski got fired. Seattle might be dumb enough. We could possibly trade multiple players, including Grisham & Turang etc, for Jarred Kelenic. I could see Kelenic being ready for the show in 2021...
The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Who is dumb enough to trade away young, controllable, talented players? Dombroski got fired. Seattle might be dumb enough. We could possibly trade multiple players, including Grisham & Turang etc, for Jarred Kelenic. I could see Kelenic being ready for the show in 2021...

A better way might be to go after not so young controllable players. Garrett Cooper turns 29 in December, so it's highly questionable if Miami sees him as a core player of their rebuild, but he'd be a nice fit on this Brewer team as a RH bat with ability to play 1B and corner OF.

A better way might be to go after not so young controllable players. Garrett Cooper turns 29 in December, so it's highly questionable if Miami sees him as a core player of their rebuild, but he'd be a nice fit on this Brewer team as a RH bat with ability to play 1B and corner OF.

With having Trent Grisham, I'd do a Gamel for Cooper swap in a heartbeat if they would do it. Although Cooper seems like a player that should be getting everyday at bats and with Braun/Thames for 1B, just not sure it would be a fit.

Brewers: Hader- 66.5

Dodgers: Seager- 45.5, Gray- 11.5 = 57.0

According to that site, you would have room to add on.

With having Trent Grisham, I'd do a Gamel for Cooper swap in a heartbeat if they would do it. Although Cooper seems like a player that should be getting everyday at bats and with Braun/Thames for 1B, just not sure it would be a fit.

I would like to have Grisham in the minors to start the year, so he is getting everyday at bats. He can come up when Braun inevitably gets hurt or midseason.

Plenty of playing time for Grisham between Braun and Cain. They’ll both need days off.

Agree, Braun is basically off 2 days per week as it is. Cain should be getting one a week. Braun might get some at 1B. So 3-4 games a week is a good amount of PT combined with full time duties when guys inevitably hit the DL. I think DL stints might go back to 15 days again next year too, don't recall for sure but vaguely remember something like that. And of course, if Grisham does well and one of Cain/Braun struggles he'll just earn more and more PT. Seems like the perfect 4th OF to start next year to me for a team that needs a 4th to play a lot.

I actually feel like they should start Cain on a maintenance plan similar to BRaun in recent years rather than the tough guy stuff of playing through everything.

Going back to the Mariners and their outfield maybe see if they would trade Hanniger for a guy like Grisham since Hanniger had an off year and will start making money in arbitration. Brewers could certainly use another right handed bat and Hanniger can play and sub for Yelich/Braun/Cain. I'm sure a ruptured testicle and bad back is a good reason to have an off year.

Going back to the Mariners and their outfield maybe see if they would trade Hanniger for a guy like Grisham since Hanniger had an off year and will start making money in arbitration. Brewers could certainly use another right handed bat and Hanniger can play and sub for Yelich/Braun/Cain. I'm sure a ruptured testicle and bad back is a good reason to have an off year.

This makes us older and less controllable, so no. And the Mariners are already shedding a ton of salary this winter. I don't think Haniger's $5 million or whatever it's going to be is going to be that big of a deal for them.

The big contract sans additional team control the Mariners have is Kyle Seager.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/SEA/seattle-mariners-salaries-and-contracts.shtml

$19.5 million in 2020

$18.5 million in 2021

Had a decent rebound from an awful 2018, plays some SS and 2B. He's primarily a 3B.

Mariners get:

OF Corey Ray

C Payton Henry

RHP Alec Bettinger

RHP Zach Brown

Brewers get:

3B Kyle Seagar (assuming all salary)

C Tom Murphy - https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/murphto04.shtml

The big contract sans additional team control the Mariners have is Kyle Seager.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/SEA/seattle-mariners-salaries-and-contracts.shtml

$19.5 million in 2020

$18.5 million in 2021

Had a decent rebound from an awful 2018, plays some SS and 2B. He's primarily a 3B.

Mariners get:

OF Corey Ray

C Payton Henry

RHP Alec Bettinger

RHP Zach Brown

Brewers get:

3B Kyle Seagar (assuming all salary)

C Tom Murphy - https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/murphto04.shtml

Why would the Brewers even have the slightest thought of Seager who was Arcia type horrible in 2018 and not very good this year (.239/.321 and a 3B)? Assume $38M and lose prospects just to get Murphy? No thanks. They'd be better off just trying to get Murphy or a FA catcher and re-sign Moose.

Archived