Brewer Fanatic

Free Agent Starting Pitchers (not named Gerrit Cole)

Keuchel is far better than Davies was and is. Davies ceiling was Keuchel but he never reached that ceiling and probably won't. I was a big Davies fan and Davies is not anywhere close to what Keuchel is. Keuchel is a legit #1 or #2 pitcher with history of being that #1 or #2 type pitcher. Having Woodruff as the #1 followed by Keuchel is a good start to a rotation. If you want strike outs you can gamble on Bumgarner being Verlander but I believe he will be closer to 2018 Felix Hernandez than he will be closer to 2018 or 2019 Verlander.

The only other option that would be realistic is Kluber but the problem here is the Brewers don't have the prospects to get him from the Indians. Price is another player who can get you strike outs but that is a $96m gamble and if it doesn't pay off you are looking at having to trade Yelich next off season while also watching Price stinking it up. I don't think the Brewers are 1 pitcher away either as the Brewers need another bat and at least one more bullpen arm. So that means you either gamble on Price or Kluber only and hope they are the missing piece or you can spend money on Keuchel, plus a bullpen arm and another bat like Castellanos. Keuchel, bullpen arm and Castellanos just has a higher value than only one of Bumgarner/Price/Kluber.

The Brewers need to spread their money out and signing someone like Keuchel gives you the opportunity to do so.

IF Kuechel comes in and he's not their ONLY big spend, I can get behind it...but if he's their "headliner" FA, not so much. Like you said, they also need bats, and I LOVE Castellanos. Might be the biggest proponent for him on this board. Think his bat fits perfectly in their lineup and replaces some of what you lose with Grandal and Moose. If their big signings are Kuechel and Castellanos, I would consider it a pretty good off season..if I had to only pick one or the other, I'd take Castellanos if I'm being honest.

If you are happy with Kuechel, but only if he is our second biggest offseason signing, I think you are going to be in for a mighty disappointing offseason.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Like I said, if Kuechel is who you sign for that much money, why not just keep Zach??

Setting aside the question of who's better for the moment, I will remind you that it's not as if they DFA'd Davies. Davies helped them get Urias.

"Don't force him to choose between Chris Smalling and Phil Jones. It's like asking someone to choose between which STD to contract!"

If you think Kuechel is the same pitcher now as he was in 2015 I guess we will have to just disagree.

If he was the same pitcher he would be far out of our price range. I do think that winning a Cy Young at any point in one's career nullifies any Jeff Suppan comparisons, as others were making :laughing

If you think Kuechel is the same pitcher now as he was in 2015 I guess we will have to just disagree.

If he was the same pitcher he would be far out of our price range. I do think that winning a Cy Young at any point in one's career nullifies any Jeff Suppan comparisons, as others were making :laughing

He's definitely a far better option now than Suppan was when we signed him. Probably around what Lohse was at the time we signed him. Lohse shouldn't be compared to Suppan either. He was a really good signing for 2 years. Just ran out of gas in the 3rd which illustrates the danger of these long-term deals to starters in their 30s.

I’m still hopeful Stearns can add Keuchel (3yrs/$42MM) and a bounce back candidate (my preference is either Walker or Wood) I would be happy with our rotation going into ST.

Woodruff, Keuchel, Houser, Peralta, Burnes, Lauer and Walker/Wood provides plenty of upside and depth

Here's my current wish list of available FA starters that make sense for the Brewers

1. RHP Julio Teheran (29)

2. RHP Taijuan Walker (27)

3. RHP Aaron Sanchez (27)

4. RHP Jimmy Nelson (31)

5. RHP Michael Wacha (28)

6. LHP Alex Wood (29)

7. LHP Martin Perez (27)

8. LHP Drew Smyly (29)

Hard to believe Nelson is oldest player on my list. Left off Bumgarner, Ryu and Keuchel because I think the market has priced them out of their value.

Here's my current wish list of available FA starters that make sense for the Brewers

4. RHP Jimmy Nelson (31)

6. LHP Alex Wood (29)

7. LHP Martin Perez (27)

8. LHP Drew Smyly (29)

Hard to believe Nelson is older player on my list. Left off Bumgarner, Ryu and Keuchel because I think the market has priced them out of their value.

Boy, that's a really depressing list of names, isn't it! I know we've won with similar guys in our rotation the past couple of years, but if we were to just add a couple of guys from this grouping it would feel pretty bleak heading into the 2020 season. Especially when you consider that it's very likely that our offensive production takes a hit after losing two of our key cogs from '19 in Grandal and Moose (and it's not looking very optimistic that we will be able to make up near that production with the way the F/A market is shaping out for us this winter).

Like everyone seems to still believe in Jimmy Nelson around these parts (including me), I think a few of these guys could prove to be real bargains. Plenty of risk all around but I actually think most players on this list are more talented then Chacin, Miley or Lyles. I’d take a chance on landing Pleasant Surprise SP 4.0 (2020 edition) rather than pay current market prices for the mid tier FA starters.

4. RHP Jimmy Nelson (31)

6. LHP Alex Wood (29)

7. LHP Martin Perez (27)

8. LHP Drew Smyly (29)

Hard to believe Nelson is older player on my list. Left off Bumgarner, Ryu and Keuchel because I think the market has priced them out of their value.

Boy, that's a really depressing list of names, isn't it! I know we've won with similar guys in our rotation the past couple of years, but if we were to just add a couple of guys from this grouping it would feel pretty bleak heading into the 2020 season. Especially when you consider that it's very likely that our offensive production takes a hit after losing two of our key cogs from '19 in Grandal and Moose (and it's not looking very optimistic that we will be able to make up near that production with the way the F/A market is shaping out for us this winter).

No, it's not depressing. Not at all. There is a lot of potential there. It's really hard for me to understand this doom and gloom stuff on Dec. 11.

This team has made the playoffs two years in a row, and was one game away the year before that, by following the same philosophy they are now ... finding underappreciated value. I expect them to do that again this offseason. Might the bottom fall out? Yes, of course. But this front office has done absolutely nothing to make me not trust them when they say they are committed to putting a competitive team on the field.

4. RHP Jimmy Nelson (31)

6. LHP Alex Wood (29)

7. LHP Martin Perez (27)

8. LHP Drew Smyly (29)

No, it's not depressing. Not at all. There is a lot of potential there. It's really hard for me to understand this doom and gloom stuff on Dec. 11.

This team has made the playoffs two years in a row, and was one game away the year before that, by following the same philosophy they are now ... finding underappreciated value. I expect them to do that again this offseason. Might the bottom fall out? Yes, of course. But this front office has done absolutely nothing to make me not trust them when they say they are committed to putting a competitive team on the field.

Give me two of Taijuan Walker, Michael Wacha, and Alex Wood and I think we would have a solid rotation as long as they stay healthy. Walker and Wood have had injury concerns. Wacha has been a very good starting pitcher for 5 years, but had a down year last year.

I would take Walker and Wacha right now to pair with Woodruff and go to work!

4. RHP Jimmy Nelson (31)

6. LHP Alex Wood (29)

7. LHP Martin Perez (27)

8. LHP Drew Smyly (29)

Hard to believe Nelson is oldest player on my list. Left off Bumgarner, Ryu and Keuchel because I think the market has priced them out of their value.

I think you're right on track here with regard to the level of pitching. Not sure about specific guys though.

Keuchel would be a sizable upgrade over what they tossed out there last year. Significantly sizable, actually. They are going to have to take some leaps of faith in the rotation as well. Hoping Houser can make a jump, and that Lyles August and September was for real might be those leaps. Wouldn’t be surprised to see them sign a guy like Lindblom too.

Well, I missed on Lyles, but hit on Lindblom so far :) Keuchel would still be nice.

Not a FA, but on the same topic. I saw a CBS mention today regarding LAA going for Kluber. Kluber is 1 year 17.5 mil with a team option of 18 mil for 2021. This contract, commitment, and timeline line up with exactly what we look for.

Issue of course is how weak our system to trade from, but I can't imagine a team like the Angels have much to offer on the farm either. You'd hope they're at least trying on this guy.

Another trade target should be Matthew Boyd. He’s projected to earn $6.4MM in 2020 and is controlled through 2022. I know Detroit is hurting for infielders so maybe something along the lines of Arcia, Turang and Supak/Rasmussen gets their attention.

Another trade target should be Matthew Boyd. He’s projected to earn $6.4MM in 2020 and is controlled through 2022. I know Detroit is hurting for infielders so maybe something along the lines of Arcia, Turang and Supak/Rasmussen gets their attention.

I know Boyd was one of the "hot" names at the deadline last summer, and in looking at his overall numbers from last year - he must have really struggled in the 2nd half of the season (after the deadline). Gave up 39 home runs to lead baseball in that category, and looks like his ERA really ballooned as well. Not sure how much I'd feel comfortable giving up for a guy like that? Yeah, he K's a bunch of guys, but some of the other numbers leave a lot to be desired.

I know Boyd was one of the "hot" names at the deadline last summer, and in looking at his overall numbers from last year - he must have really struggled in the 2nd half of the season (after the deadline). Gave up 39 home runs to lead baseball in that category, and looks like his ERA really ballooned as well. Not sure how much I'd feel comfortable giving up for a guy like that? Yeah, he K's a bunch of guys, but some of the other numbers leave a lot to be desired.

I can't see Boyd either. After July: 53 IPs - 60 hits - 37 ERs - 22 BBs. Then there's the 39 dingers. If he pitched in Milwaukee he might set the all time MLB record for big flys allowed. I'd rather keep Turang, Rasmussen, et.all and look elsewhere for a pitcher.

I can't see Boyd either. After July: 53 IPs - 60 hits - 37 ERs - 22 BBs. Then there's the 39 dingers. If he pitched in Milwaukee he might set the all time MLB record for big flys allowed. I'd rather keep Turang, Rasmussen, et.all and look elsewhere for a pitcher.

I guess I hadn’t checked out his numbers or aware he struggled so bad last season. I’ll pass too. Thoughts on guys like Robbie Ray and Jon Gray?

How do we feel about Brett Anderson?

In just looking at Anderson's stats from last year - he would be an interesting, lower cost SP option. Not a strike out pitcher, so I guess I'd be a bit concerned about whether or not we could put a good defensive team behind him when he pitches to contact, but I was impressed to see that his road splits were actually better than his home splits last year.

Archived